The Real State of the Program

IndyAuthor

Redshirt
Mar 18, 2015
In the 15 seasons since Mike Davis left, he has won:

267 games
4 Conference Championships
4 Conference Tournament Championships
And made 9 trips to the post season. (NCAA and NIT)

IU over that same period has won:
279 games
2 Conference Championships
0 Conference Tournament Championships
And made 9 trips to the post season (assuming they would have made it last year)

This is NOT a case for Mike Davis. It’s simply a miserable realization that we haven’t even managed to average 1 more win per year in the 15 years since he left than he did.

The facilities are vastly improved, but the product on the court isn’t any better. It’s beyond depressing.

I have been around some very good basketball. Truly blessed. I have seen it all, Wesleyan, Evansville, Western, Louisville, Kentucky, Indiana. In my 20's you could watch a game live every night in the Owensboro Sportscenter and I did. The one thing I learned is you can fire your way to the bottom.

I have been around some very good basketball. Truly blessed. I have seen it all, Wesleyan, Evansville, Western, Louisville, Kentucky, Indiana. In my 20's you could watch a game live every night in the Owensboro Sportscenter and I did. The one thing I learned is you can fire your way to the bottom.

Firing Archie won’t take us any lower.

Had to watch an old replay of UE v. ND in '92 just to be reminded what it looks like when you have guys that can shoot lights out. Your neighbor Casebier went for 41 draining 3s, driving to the basket, getting to the line and posting bigger players. Loved watching him play.

Reactions: 76-1 and mommydaddy
Had to watch an old replay of UE v. ND in '92 just to be reminded what it looks like when you have guys that can shoot lights out. Your neighbor Casebier went for 41 draining 3s, driving to the basket, getting to the line and posting bigger players. Loved watching him play.

Casebier was a fantastic basketball player. But it’s a shame he went down the road he did as a human being.

267 games

279 games
And made 9 trips to the post season (assuming they would have made it last year)

This is NOT a case for Mike Davis. It’s simply a miserable realization that we haven’t even managed to average 1 more win per year in the 15 years since he left than he did.

The facilities are vastly improved, but the product on the court isn’t any better. It’s beyond depressing.

Geesh. The fact we have NEVER won the BTT says a lot.

Reactions: outlawyer

267 games

279 games

Yes, it is amazing how bad we have been, even with some talent, but ridiculous comparison. The competition he faced is nothing compared to IU & he has been fired 3 times.

Reactions: Al Bino
IU is a state university. You don't get to decide who can be a fan.

This kind of response irks the hell out of me.

IU bball used to be a program that had a fanbase well beyond its grads.

Anyway, some of the biggest fans I know didn't go to IU...but had family and friends who did.

Too many loyalty tests these days. Too much absolutism.

The State of the Program at this point, is the state of Disarray. I believe you can find it on the Map just west of Wyoming.

Reactions: outlawyer

And his constant whining irks the hell out of me ESPECIALLY when he didn't graduate from IU.

I guess we are even.

Considering the amount of Degrees my family has from Indiana University and the Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars they’ve given the University, um. Yep. It’s “We” for me. Not everyone needs to attend Indiana University.
So you've never so much as taken a summer course at iu but you think that because you've bought a few "We're Back" "The Movement", and "Crean & Crimson" t-shirts from Wal-Mart that you're somehow a part of the university? Alrighty.

The more I thought about this response, the more "irked" I felt.

First, I didn't say ANYTHING about who can be a fan and who can not. How you came to that conclusion from a five word post is questionable. The poster doth protest too much, methinks.

Second, anyone can be a fan of any school but the question I ask is why are they a fan. If it is simply because IU is a state school as you stated, then fine but is it because of the RMK era and the winning? I think the later is much more prevalent. When I went to IU, you could not find virtually anything related to IU in my home area. Not a T-shirt, no signs, no flags. We won in 76 and I started to see some, win in 81 and more and then after 87, everyone and their brother had been IU fans ALL THEIR LIFE. BS!

I am an IU fan because I went there, graduated from there. I am invested beyond just the winning. Winning is important and I hope to see IU back to the top again in my lifetime. With winning come the fair weather fan. That is how you get reversible jacket fans and I know several of those. That does NOT make me a better fan. It makes me a fan because I have some skin in the game.

I will support ALL IU athletics until the day I die. My enthusiasm might waiver but never my resolve.

Casebier was a fantastic basketball player. But it’s a shame he went down the road he did as a human being.
My high school (Castle) played against him and he was an incredible talent. He was great at UE too, but I always thought Crews coddled him too much-from the textbook scandal to letting him rent his basement room. A real shame what he turned into later in life. Hope he stays locked up forever.

My high school (Castle) played against him and he was an incredible talent. He was great at UE too, but I always thought Crews coddled him too much-from the textbook scandal to letting him rent his basement room. A real shame what he turned into later in life. Hope he stays locked up forever.
Casebier was money around the basket! Back when UE basketball was fun; unfortunately, UE and IU have taken the same path in recent years.

First, I didn't say ANYTHING about who can be a fan and who can not. How you came to that conclusion from a five word post is questionable. The poster doth protest too much, methinks.

Second, anyone can be a fan of any school but the question I ask is why are they a fan. If it is simply because IU is a state school as you stated, then fine but is it because of the RMK era and the winning? I think the later is much more prevalent. When I went to IU, you could not find virtually anything related to IU in my home area. Not a T-shirt, no signs, no flags. We won in 76 and I started to see some, win in 81 and more and then after 87, everyone and their brother had been IU fans ALL THEIR LIFE. BS!

I am an IU fan because I went there, graduated from there. I am invested beyond just the winning. Winning is important and I hope to see IU back to the top again in my lifetime. With winning come the fair weather fan. That is how you get reversible jacket fans and I know several of those. That does NOT make me a better fan. It makes me a fan because I have some skin in the game.

I will support ALL IU athletics until the day I die. My enthusiasm might waiver but never my resolve.
Congrats?

Reactions: Crayfish57
Casebier was money around the basket! Back when UE basketball was fun; unfortunately, UE and IU have taken the same path in recent years.
Yup. Said to see both of them go down the tubes. Roberts Stadium on a Saturday night back in those days was the place to be. Crews built a heck of a program there for such a small school.

Yup. Said to see both of them go down the tubes. Roberts Stadium on a Saturday night back in those days was the place to be. Crews built a heck of a program there for such a small school.
Crews' early UE years were great, but he went downhill and it didn't help that Bruce Pearl across town at USI built a great program that played exciting ball. UE has major problems now and USI just announced no tourney for them because of Covid cases.

Crews' early UE years were great, but he went downhill and it didn't help that Bruce Pearl across town at USI built a great program that played exciting ball. UE has major problems now and USI just announced no tourney for them because of Covid cases.
I think UE is going to go out of business at some point-the whole school, not just athletics. Cutting all those programs and majors is just the first step. They are way too expensive of a school.

Following this full thread and you did talk down to the non-IU grad. And you do it here as well.

I attended IU but didn't graduate because I was an immature youngster who couldn't manage myself at the large IU school. But I graduated from Oakland City with a near perfect GPA some years later.

I donate to IU and and I can assure you that I'm every bit the IU fanatic that you are regardless of your 'skin' in this.

For example, my handle on Peegs.com was cd and I invested many hours of my free time to develop and host a free internet application back in the 90s that updated scores in near real-time before ESPN and others did so. I did it because I was passionate about IU and wanted IU fans around the world to have access to game updates.

I openly invited peegs members...total strangers to my home for a pre-party for a trip to watch IU recruit Rajon Rondo...you ever open your home to IU fans you've never met?

My home has IU artifacts all over and I promise you my later mother was the only person I've met that was clearly a bigger IU Fan than I...and she didn't graduate either because she dropped out of school in the 8th grade to work on the family farm.

For you to insinuate that non-grads have less skin in the game is just plain wrong.

Have you done something special to help other IU fans in their quest to enjoy and love their team, or do you want to divide our fan base into grads and non-grads?

267 games

279 games

Funny thing is, Davis wasn’t ready to be a head coach of a program like IU. He’d probably be a lot better now.

Reactions: IndyAuthor
Following this full thread and you did talk down to the non-IU grad. And you do it here as well.

I attended IU but didn't graduate because I was an immature youngster who couldn't manage myself at the large IU school. But I graduated from Oakland City with a near perfect GPA some years later.

I donate to IU and and I can assure you that I'm every bit the IU fanatic that you are regardless of your 'skin' in this.

For example, my handle on Peegs.com was cd and I invested many hours of my free time to develop and host a free internet application back in the 90s that updated scores in near real-time before ESPN and others did so. I did it because I was passionate about IU and wanted IU fans around the world to have access to game updates.

I openly invited peegs members...total strangers to my home for a pre-party for a trip to watch IU recruit Rajon Rondo...you ever open your home to IU fans you've never met?

My home has IU artifacts all over and I promise you my later mother was the only person I've met that was clearly a bigger IU Fan than I...and she didn't graduate either because she dropped out of school in the 8th grade to work on the family farm.

For you to insinuate that non-grads have less skin in the game is just plain wrong.

Have you done something special to help other IU fans in their quest to enjoy and love their team, or do you want to divide our fan base into grads and non-grads?
Most of my friends are huge IU fans and most of them never attended college at all. Of the small but close circle of friends I developed while attending IU, only one is a huge IU sports fan. I don’t automatically assume fans went to IU.

Reactions: wi_hoosier
It very hard to put a train back on tracks after a derail. Fix the track first is the proper order.
It's been awhile since hearing a good iron horse analogy so thank you, as it makes the solution crystalize in the glass beaker under fire bestowed upon it.

I am puzzled how "talked down" in this or any other post but that is your right to think that I did.

Maybe you missed this part.... "That does NOT make me a better fan." My point was (and I stated as much) that MANY "fans" of IU are strictly "fans" because of RMK and the winning he had. Once again, I said as much in my post and gave an example of why I came to that conclusion.

"For you to insinuate that non-grads have less skin in the game is just plain wrong." That is your opinion and you are entitled to it but IMO, a grad has more skin in the game because of the history involved. The walking to calculus class across campus in the dark and freezing cold, the parties, the games in AH, just the whole Bton experience. I am no more wrong than you are.

I am puzzled how "talked down" in this or any other post but that is your right to think that I did.

Maybe you missed this part.... "That does NOT make me a better fan." My point was (and I stated as much) that MANY "fans" of IU are strictly "fans" because of RMK and the winning he had. Once again, I said as much in my post and gave an example of why I came to that conclusion.

"For you to insinuate that non-grads have less skin in the game is just plain wrong." That is your opinion and you are entitled to it but IMO, a grad has more skin in the game because of the history involved. The walking to calculus class across campus in the dark and freezing cold, the parties, the games in AH, just the whole Bton experience. I am no more wrong than you are.
I think cd-hoosiers wins this one. You should have more important things to worry about. Are you ineligible to be a fan of pro teams because you never made the team. Be a good sport and quit bickering with one of your own. You should direct your pettiness toward that stank at Purdue.

I think cd-hoosiers wins this one. You should have more important things to worry about. Are you ineligible to be a fan of pro teams because you never made the team. Be a good sport and quit bickering with one of your own. You should direct your pettiness toward that stank at Purdue.

Who asked you to referee?

Pettiness, IMO, his response was petty.

Damn, has the IQ or reading comprehension dropped around here? I did not once say who could be a fan and who could not. Please cut and paste where I did.

I actually said the EXACT opposite. Good grief, words matter.
Maybe this will jog your memory. I said "Second, anyone can be a fan of any school". I really don't know how much clearer I could make it.

ADVERTISEMENT