ADVERTISEMENT

The quarterback situation

IUNY

Freshman
Sep 8, 2013
I am somewhat surprised that most of you on here have not mentioned Donaven McCulley. Yes, he's a freshman, but so were Tua and Trevor Lawrence. Sure, they are in the NFL, but they were freshmen starters at quarterback for national championship teams. Tom Allen heaped praise on McCulley during preseason camp. But when he talked about Mike Penix and Jack Tuttle, he mainly focused on their injury recovery. I think Tom is very concerned about making a change for team-unity and loyalty issues. I'm not saying McCulley should start (I haven't even seen him play), but he does have four games he can play in and still keep the red shirt. Maybe if we get a big lead on Idaho, he can see some action in the second half. Penix threw darts against Ohio State last year, but last Saturday the INTs and numbers were worrisome. Not all on him, the whole team seemed a little in awe of Kinnick Stadium from the start. Tough place to play, but if you want to compete with Ohio State, you need to be able to handle that. Tuttle has a strong arm and is good in the pocket, but if we are so concerned about the OL, then wouldn't that suggest we would be best served by a scrambling QB?

Last edited:
I am somewhat surprised that most of you on here have not mentioned Donaven McCulley. Yes, he's a freshman, but so were Tua and Trevor Lawrence. Sure, they are in the NFL, but they were freshmen starters at quarterback for national championship teams. Tom Allen heaped praise on McCulley during preseason camp. But when he talked about Mike Penix and Jack Tuttle, he mainly focused on their injury recovery. I think Tom is very concerned about making a change for team-unity and loyalty issues. I'm not saying McCulley should start (I haven't even seen him play), but he does have four games he can play in and still keep the red shirt. Maybe if we get a big lead on Idaho, he can see some action in the second half. Penix threw darts against Ohio State last year, but last Saturday the INTs and numbers were worrisome. Not all on him, the whole team seemed a little in awe of Kinnick Stadium from the start. Tough place to play, but if you want to compete with Ohio State, you need to be able to handle that. Tuttle has a good arm and is good in the pocket, but if we are so concerned about the OL, then wouldn't that suggest we would be best served by a scrambling QB?
Would love to see some up tempo introduced in Game 3.

I think the general thinking around here is to give Penix the Idaho game to settle down and produce the way he is capable of doing. He was tentative and rusty in Iowa City.

Hopefully he has a much better game against Idaho and can gain traction going forward. If for some reason he doesn't, you will quickly start to see people pining for McCulley or Tuttle. That's just the way these things work.

Relax….McCulley is going to play this year, eventually securing more time. I don’t think that either of the other two guys will make it through even a half season intact.

IMO if you have a starter going in they get 3-4 games at least. You can’t make decisions based on one game good or bad.

I am somewhat surprised that most of you on here have not mentioned Donaven McCulley. Yes, he's a freshman, but so were Tua and Trevor Lawrence. Sure, they are in the NFL, but they were freshmen starters at quarterback for national championship teams. Tom Allen heaped praise on McCulley during preseason camp. But when he talked about Mike Penix and Jack Tuttle, he mainly focused on their injury recovery. I think Tom is very concerned about making a change for team-unity and loyalty issues. I'm not saying McCulley should start (I haven't even seen him play), but he does have four games he can play in and still keep the red shirt. Maybe if we get a big lead on Idaho, he can see some action in the second half. Penix threw darts against Ohio State last year, but last Saturday the INTs and numbers were worrisome. Not all on him, the whole team seemed a little in awe of Kinnick Stadium from the start. Tough place to play, but if you want to compete with Ohio State, you need to be able to handle that. Tuttle has a strong arm and is good in the pocket, but if we are so concerned about the OL, then wouldn't that suggest we would be best served by a scrambling QB?
there is no "quarterback situation" if the oline does their job.

Last week was really bad. Iowa is a very good team , and played like it. Our Hoosiers , mainly the offensive side , played one of their worst games I've seen them play in many years . Penix had a terrible game , no other way to spin it . That being said he is 10 and 3 as a starter , which is one of the best records for a Hoosier QB in my life time . If he is healthy he is a very good QB , so to say he should be replaced by a true freshman is rushing things . If tomorrow's game against Idaho is like last weeks , then I will really start to worry . I hope Penix gets his game back tomorrow , and then plays more like the old Penix . I also think Tuttle should get some snaps , because he is just one play away from being our starter . McCulley is a freshman , and could get some snaps this year , but it's a huge jump from high school to college . I'll be there tomorrow , and hope to see a win for the our Hoosiers .

Seriously, let's jump back to reality for a second. I love McCulley, and believe he will be the starter as a RS Sophomore, I do want him to see reps in the Idaho game assuming it's a blowout, the same can be said for the WKU game, but most people(myself included) don't understand how long it takes to be able to run a college offense. Trevor was the number one overall prospect in the country out of high school, he is also incredibly smart, Tua only played one half of the final game, while I am not going to diminish what he did, running an offense for an entire year and running an offense for one half+OT, when the other team has no scouting report on you are two very different things. Not to mention, both guys were 5 star prospects and early enrollees, so they had a five month head start on learning the playbook, McCulley was not an early enrollee, he has only been at IU since the start of summer. Barring injuries(which obviously isn't a guarantee), I do not want to see McCulley starting this season or even taking on any major role in the offense.

Penix is a phenomenal QB, and something else I feel the need to constantly point out, he masks an atrocious O-line, between his mobility, his quick release, and his willingness to take a hit he does all he can to hide the fact that our O-line has been pathetic over the past 9 games. I am sick of the jabs at Penix because he had one bad game in the season opener, against a ranked big ten team, on the road, coming off a major injury, oh yeah and this was everyone's first time dealing with crowd noise in two years. While I, like everyone didn't expect a performance that bad against Iowa, I think a lot of people thought that Penix in the OSU game was going to show up and that was extremely unrealistic given the circumstances. Give him a few games to kick the rust off and regain his confidence before you start talking about replacing him with Tuttle or McCulley.

While McCulley is a DT(really important given our O-line situation the last 3-4 years) and I believe he has a very bright future with the Hoosiers, he does not have experience going up against B1G defenses, being able to stand in and make those tough throws as your getting hit, something Penix had to do weekly last season, and if Iowa is any indicator, he'll have to do that again this year, not to mention the pressure that comes with being a starting QB at a power five school. I think a year learning the system and in the weight room, with no pressure to start or even be the backup is best for McCulley's development long term.

People are reacting too quickly about Penix struggle in the first game. It was put in a tough situation with the OL not playing very good. We have to see how the OL does over the next few weeks and see how they do.

I hope IU has a great game this week and comes out healthy and get ready for Cincinnati.

McCulley is very good and will get his snaps in time. Comparing him to Tua or Trevor, however, is misaligned. Both Tua and Trevor had a much better supporting cast .... especially on the OL.

Ummmmm. I may be mistaken but
I believe one of them was fairly recently a #1 draft pick and playing on Sundays already…. A bit premature just maybe??

Reactions: vesuvius13
Not disagreeing with you but it’s hard to think a scrambling quarterback who is fleeing a charging rush might be a recipe for success

The big questions at the start of the season were 1) Is MP going to be 100% and 2) Can he stay healthy this season. It appears that both questions have been answered without resounding NOs.

I am so sad that MP has these issues. He is a really good man and a talented player. For some reason, the Football Gods have not been good to him.

ADVERTISEMENT