ADVERTISEMENT

The Psychology of Pandemics . . .

Sope Creek

Hall of Famer
Feb 5, 2003
. . . this article reads like a shrink's notes from observing the Cooler . . . .

“Psychological reactance has been an issue around any public health guidance, whether that’s increasing the intake of more fruit and vegetables, good dental hygiene or vaccinations and masks,” Taylor said. “The you’re-not-the-boss-of-me kind of response is seen particularly in people raised in cultures that take pride in freedom and individualism.”

"He added: “The harder you try to push and persuade these psychologically reactive people, the more they are likely to push back because they perceive their freedoms are being threatened. While they may be a minority, they are also highly vocal, and so we see many different types of people joining in.”

"That in turn, leads to what psychologists term “motivated thinking”, otherwise fantasy-thinking in which Covid-19, or climate change, are seen as hoaxes so people can tell themselves positive stories that everything is going to be fine and their freedom is not threatened.

"What has often been depicted as conservative individualistic intransigence is in fact a stand-in for diverse groups comprising conspiracy theorists, white evangelicals, some historically traumatized communities of color, new-age believers in natural immunity and others who believe that vaccines are a con by big pharma to maximize profits. The list goes on."

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Oh thank God. Finally we have the answer to why others who think different than academia/ liberals/ progressives/ Panaphobics (although all of that was very redundant), are eff'ing wrong.

I am now, 100% bought into drinking the cool-aid. No question. No resistance. I will think of how I can help a Panaphobe feel normal before I think of my own self. I've been so wrong, how will I ever repent?

. . . this article reads like a shrink's notes from observing the Cooler . . . .

“Psychological reactance has been an issue around any public health guidance, whether that’s increasing the intake of more fruit and vegetables, good dental hygiene or vaccinations and masks,” Taylor said. “The you’re-not-the-boss-of-me kind of response is seen particularly in people raised in cultures that take pride in freedom and individualism.”

"He added: “The harder you try to push and persuade these psychologically reactive people, the more they are likely to push back because they perceive their freedoms are being threatened. While they may be a minority, they are also highly vocal, and so we see many different types of people joining in.”

"That in turn, leads to what psychologists term “motivated thinking”, otherwise fantasy-thinking in which Covid-19, or climate change, are seen as hoaxes so people can tell themselves positive stories that everything is going to be fine and their freedom is not threatened.

"What has often been depicted as conservative individualistic intransigence is in fact a stand-in for diverse groups comprising conspiracy theorists, white evangelicals, some historically traumatized communities of color, new-age believers in natural immunity and others who believe that vaccines are a con by big pharma to maximize profits. The list goes on."

I'm headed to Reynolds this weekend and I'm going to take that Turmeric capsule later today, regardless of what anybody says. You're not the boss of me . . . . or something.

I'm headed to Reynolds this weekend and I'm going to take that Turmeric capsule later today, regardless of what anybody says. You're not the boss of me . . . . or something.
Turmeric? You some sort of new age junkie?

How many mgs? Let me know how it works . . . .

You going to buy? Play golf . . . or just look?

BTW, it's HOT and HUMID down here. Currently 99 degrees heat index at 90/55% here, and this ain't as hot nor as humid as Reynolds. Take your swim suit.

BTW, it's HOT and HUMID down here. Currently 99 degrees heat index at 90/55% here, and this ain't as hot nor as humid as Reynolds. Take your swim suit.

It's hot and humid here. It's why God invented air conditioning.

Looking at two. But they go pretty damn quick. Also looking to get together with someone who does rentals on the Putnam County side as my bride now has the idea of keeping the homestead here, Reynolds except in summer, and then she wants to do a couple months in Maine. "And then why do we need to keep this house?"

Women. Whatta ya gonna do?

Some medical gurus turned me on to Turmeric. Too soon to judge, but with the cortisone shots a week ago I'm feeling good.

Going to be partying with my friend who is about two weeks into recovery after his second replacement. All I have to do is ply him with Johnnie Walker Blue and he'll give the lowdown on the recovery process/timing.

Oh thank God. Finally we have the answer to why others who think different than academia/ liberals/ progressives/ Panaphobics (although all of that was very redundant), are eff'ing wrong.

I am now, 100% bought into drinking the cool-aid. No question. No resistance. I will think of how I can help a Panaphobe feel normal before I think of my own self. I've been so wrong, how will I ever repent?
How to repent, you ask?

Try posting something that doesn't sound like
what you posted previously (and again and again and again). There's a whole other world of new stuff to post that's in your wheelhouse. Go for it.

So to summarize:
All of the a-holes on here insulting & belittling people not getting vaxxed are making the problem worse with their virtue signaling. Shocker, who knew? 🤔

Reactions: dr.jb
It's hot and humid here. It's why God invented air conditioning.

Looking at two. But they go pretty damn quick. Also looking to get together with someone who does rentals on the Putnam County side as my bride now has the idea of keeping the homestead here, Reynolds except in summer, and then she wants to do a couple months in Maine. "And then why do we need to keep this house?"

Women. Whatta ya gonna do?

Reynolds is nice. Maybe I'll buy your place in about 20 years.

The real psychological problem isn’t unreasonable resistance, it’s unreasonable compliance. People are easily scared into yielding to authority and allowing their lives to be micro-managed.

Alexander Hamilton got it and he wasn’t a shrink:

Safety from external danger is the most powerful director of national conduct. Even the ardent love of liberty will, after a time, give way to its dictates. The violent destruction of life and property incident to war, the continual effort and alarm attendant on a state of continual danger, will compel nations the most attached to liberty to resort for repose and security to institutions which have a tendency to destroy their civil and political rights. To be more safe, they at length become willing to run the risk of being less free.​
Millions of people are more than willing to barter away their freedom for the feeling of safety. Millions are befuddled by choices and will always look for an authoritative person to do their thinking and choosing. Thus we get mask and shut down mandates not based in science, safe spaces away from forces that offend us, and more and more people who are in positions of responsibility who constantly look for laws, regulations, policies, and group think to hide behind.

Stockholm syndrome.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT