ADVERTISEMENT

The "Protesters" even defaced the 54th Monument...

So, West is a race traitor? Is that what you’re saying?

Also, your concentration camp analogy only works if someone alive today actually experienced slavery.

Well physical "slavery" was outlawed in the 19th Century, and no one lives forever. But I'm only 65 and I remember the remnants of slavery and Jim Crow. And this first-person account is from a person who witnessed what happened when the Lee statue (which White Supremacists rallied to "protect") was erected in Charlottesville...She found it frightening, so I'd say her desire to have it removed is every bit as valid as the desires of those who want it to stay intact. Do you disagree?

In an interview with local historians in 2005, an African American woman recalled the march. She was a youngster in 1924, visiting one of her grandfathers, who had been born into slavery.

“He told all of us grandchildren to quickly get into the house and stay there,” she remembered. “He went out to the front gate of the house and watched a parade of Ku Klux Klan men, completely covered in white sheets, as they marched down West Main Street. Afterwards he came in and said, ‘I recognized every single one of them!’ He was their barber and knew them all by their shoes!”

this is nice tommycracker. it's the difference between honoring and recognizing. preserving history in museums is vital;

Have you ever lived in the south? spent time with true people of the south? they're a little different. they adhere to "their" history, "their family history" "southern pride" far more than people of other places i've encountered in this country. those monuments are emblematic of southern pride - a place unto itself. and a people unto themselves with their own sense of prideful history. things you and i would never find prideful. it's their heritage. and we recognize it's racist as f*ck and a thinly veiled homage to white supremacy. so really what we have is a balancing test of a group of people's totems of their heritage, a region's heritage vs the greater society's sense of what's right - eradicating racism.

like all things i think it's something that should be done state by state recognizing the will of the people of that state as opposed to media hype or what's happening in seattle dictating the actions of people in columbia south carolina.

personally, i believe that stuff is vital to be preserved, in museums, not as monuments to honor.
History isn’t “history”. The sooner that retrograde morons get over their adulation for racist traitors the better. There is nothing “vital” about monuments to racist traitors.

Reactions: outside shooter
this is nice tommycracker. it's the difference between honoring and recognizing. preserving history in museums is vital;

Have you ever lived in the south? spent time with true people of the south? they're a little different. they adhere to "their" history, "their family history" "southern pride" far more than people of other places i've encountered in this country. those monuments are emblematic of southern pride - a place unto itself. and a people unto themselves with their own sense of prideful history. things you and i would never find prideful. it's their heritage. and we recognize it's racist as f*ck and a thinly veiled homage to white supremacy. so really what we have is a balancing test of a group of people's heritage, a region's heritage vs the greater society's sense of what's right - eradicating racism.

like all things i think it's something that should be done state by state recognizing the will of the people of that state as opposed to media hype or what's happening in seattle dictating the actions of people in columbia south carolina.

personally, i believe that stuff is vital to be preserved, in museums, not as monuments to honor.

My mom's family is from Tenn, and I spent most of my summers growing up with my relatives in Sumner Co Tenn. They had a laundromat in the town clearly labeled "whites only".

As the 20th Century progressed, they didn't see a need to erect a monument to that vestige of history. And if a local Nazi tried to insist on preserving a racist statue (like Jason Kessler did in Charlottesville) and organized a Unite the Right Rally to protest local leaders attempts to get rid of that bit of "history", I'm thinking the good folks of Portland would be as horrified by that development as the folks in Charlottesville were...

I just Googled “year zero” and I still don’t know what he’s on about. It would really be helpful if people explained in their own words what they’re talking about. If they can’t do that, then maybe they shouldn’t be talking about it.

Why doesn't it surprise me that you're unaware of Pol Pot...

Well physical "slavery" was outlawed in the 19th Century, and no one lives forever. But I'm only 65 and I remember the remnants of slavery and Jim Crow. And this first-person account is from a person who witnessed what happened when the Lee statue (which White Supremacists rallied to "protect") was erected in Charlottesville...She found it frightening, so I'd say her desire to have it removed is every bit as valid as the desires of those who want it to stay intact. Do you disagree?

In an interview with local historians in 2005, an African American woman recalled the march. She was a youngster in 1924, visiting one of her grandfathers, who had been born into slavery.

“He told all of us grandchildren to quickly get into the house and stay there,” she remembered. “He went out to the front gate of the house and watched a parade of Ku Klux Klan men, completely covered in white sheets, as they marched down West Main Street. Afterwards he came in and said, ‘I recognized every single one of them!’ He was their barber and knew them all by their shoes!”
Ok, as I said, no one alive today has experience as a slave. So your concentration camp analogy is flawed, to say the least.

I’m more interested in you comparing West to slaves who fought for the south.

The confederate statues should probably not have been erected in the first place, so I don’t really care about them. That should be left up to the people in those areas.

But if you don’t think Washington, Jefferson, and more of the founding fathers are up next for removal, I have to believe you haven’t been paying attention to recent history.

Reactions: vslice2bad and 76-1
So, does that mean you can't explain it? I'd be very interested in a coherent explanation for why the United States government supports monuments to its opponents.

good point, and they were far more heinous than just opponents.

what they stood and fought for was beyond deplorable.

had the Civil War just been about the south wanting to go off on their own, how the Confederate leaders and generals are remembered would be different.

it wasn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: TommyCracker
Let me help you with this. We have monuments to Washington and Jefferson despite their flaws. We have monuments to racist traitors because of their flaws. See how obvious that distinction is?

As to the other stuff, I don’t even know what you’re on about. Maybe if you calmed down you could explain it.

If someone on CNN calls for it enough(they’ve already done so at least once), you’ll fall right in line.

So, does that mean you can't explain it? I'd be very interested in a coherent explanation for why the United States government supports monuments to its opponents.

Washington and Jefferson were opponents of the United States?

If you're responding to my post, I guess that means you can't explain it. If you weren't, um...no.

I was referring to removing statues of Washington and Jefferson. I don’t care about the confederate statues.

Ok, as I said, no one alive today has experience as a slave. So your concentration camp analogy is flawed, to say the least.

I’m more interested in you comparing West to slaves who fought for the south.

The confederate statues should probably not have been erected in the first place, so I don’t really care about them. That should be left up to the people in those areas.

But if you don’t think Washington, Jefferson, and more of the founding fathers are up next for removal, I have to believe you haven’t been paying attention to recent history.

"The confederate statues should probably not have been erected in the first place, so I don’t really care about them. That should be left up to the people in those areas."

So we're agreed on this, so I don't even know why 76 started this thread in the first place. The Confederate statues don't depict "history". They're not on a battlefield but were instead erected 60 yrs after the end of the War when revisionist pro-KKK Southern Legislatures were intent on rewriting history and formulating the "Lost Cause" ethos as a way of demonstrating their power over AA citizens who dared to run for office or even vote.

Nobody is advocating for the removal of plaques at battlefields or for the digging up of graves or removal of memorials at the site of Civil War graveyards. Those represent history, unlike Jim Crow era relics which were commissioned over the wishes of the AA population and erected in whites-only parks as a way of terrorizing minority populations and keeping them in their place.

The Nazis from the outset were essentially a Bavarian Party. If you visit Bavaria you can make trips to Dachau, travel to the street where the men in the Putsch marched, take a trip to Nurnberg to see where rallies were held or even visit the courtroom where the trials were held. Those are examples of HISTORY, and no one ever advocated bulldozing historical sites in Bayern or anywhere in Germany.

But what you don't see in downtown Munich are statues of Hitler or any prominent Nazis, no SS soldiers decked out in their deaths head unis. no statues of the German Judges who presided over "criminal trials" that evolved into Nazi courts sentencing people to die or be confined in Concentration Camps for "opposing" the Nazi regime.

We remember the Nazis and their crimes by keeping historical sites intact. But there were plenty of monuments and statues erected in Germany up until 1945 commemorating Nazi Heros. None of them are on public display in the squares of any cities or towns in modern-day Germany. If they truly held historical significance they were moved to museums. Otherwise, they were destroyed...

Why doesn't it surprise me that you're unaware of Pol Pot...
I'm quite well aware of Pol Pot. Back in the day, I saw the movie when it was in theaters. But I still don't know what "this Year Zero crap" is that you're on about (or what it has to do with the 54th) because you refuse to explain yourself. Do you even know what you're on about?

My mom's family is from Tenn, and I spent most of my summers growing up with my relatives in Sumner Co Tenn. They had a laundromat in the town clearly labeled "whites only".

As the 20th Century progressed, they didn't see a need to erect a monument to that vestige of history. And if a local Nazi tried to insist on preserving a racist statue (like Jason Kessler did in Charlottesville) and organized a Unite the Right Rally to protest local leaders attempts to get rid of that bit of "history", I'm thinking the good folks of Portland would be as horrified by that development as the folks in Charlottesville were...
My mom's mother remarried late in life. Her husband's business was headquartered in Louisville, GA. I'll never forget visiting them in my early 20's because the centerpiece of their town square was the slave auction. Picture a wooden structure akin to something one might find on a livestock farm. The image of the iron loops, at the level which is just above the height of an average person's head, which must have been where shackles were fastened, is indelible.

I also vividly remember the blacks, (1980s) which came around the camp on Lake Mitchell in Alabama where grandma lived when I was young, called me "Mister John", my grandma was "Miss Dottie". I was 10 or 11. Everyone in my story besides myself were Democrats till the day they died.

Well, let's look at your headline, and then look at the History surrounding one of the statues that caused all of the uproar initially. And then YOU tell us what part of preserving THIS History strikes YOU as ESSENTIAL...

Lt. Col. Allen West on desecration of Confederate monuments: 'History is not there for you to like or dislike'

A majority of the Confederate monuments in the United States today were installed between 1900 and 1930. Whether the statues were erected only to honor vanishing heroes, or also symbolized the restoration of white power, made no practical difference to Charlottesville’s African Americans living under Jim Crow. Most of them bore daily oppression and ridicule silently while fearing for their safety.
“KU KLUX KLAN ORGANIZED HERE,” a headline said, the summer before the Jackson dedication.

The Ku Klux Klan was dead. The first Hollywood blockbuster revived it.

Lynchings and other forms of racial terrorism were rampant in the South in the early 20th century. In 1915, filmmaker D.W. Griffith’s lurid box-office smash, “The Birth of a Nation,” glorified the murderous, long-dormant Klan of the Reconstruction era and helped fuel a vast resurgence of the Invisible Empire. New chapters, or klaverns, were popping up all over the country, including in Charlottesville."

Then, two weeks later, on April 17, exciting news:

“LEE STATUE ON THE WAY”

The dedication was set for May 21, coinciding with the 1924 reunion of the Grand Camp of Confederate Veterans of Virginia, a week-long festival of Old Dixie pride that was coming to Charlottesville. The city, preparing to welcome the gathering of aged rebs, festooned itself in the Stars and Bars.

The anonymous “able and influential citizens” of Klan No. 9 — not to be confused with Klan No. 5, the U-Va. campus klavern — celebrated by burning a giant cross on the evening of May 16 and the next night marched through Charlottesville in their hoods, accompanied by a brass band. “Thousands lined the sidewalks,” the press said, “in eagerness to see the parade.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/hist...tues-still-stand-still-symbolize-racist-past/

So exactly what is it about THIS "history" that you feel needs to be preserved?

This article adds some additional information, such as the role white women played in the fruition of monuments of the confederate.

Perhaps what should be considered or debated is whether Lincoln, and of course his successor, Johnson, were wrong in being lenient on southern reconstruction and unionization. It is interesting.
https://www.history.com/news/how-the-u-s-got-so-many-confederate-monuments

This article adds some additional information, such as the role white women played in the fruition of monuments of the confederate.

Perhaps what should be considered or debated is whether Lincoln, and of course his successor, Johnson, were wrong in being lenient on southern reconstruction and unionization. It is interesting.
https://www.history.com/news/how-the-u-s-got-so-many-confederate-monuments

The Monument-Destroying Mobs Don’t Hate The Confederacy, They Hate America
The mobs defacing and pulling down monuments across America have no limiting principle because their target is America itself.

By John Daniel Davidson
JUNE 15, 2020

Angry mobs are tearing down and defacing monuments across America. They make no distinction between Confederate and Union, abolitionist and pro-slavery, 15th-century figures and 20th. They don’t care when a monument was erected, who built it, or why. They have not come to debate or persuade their fellow citizens to relocate these statues to museums or private property. They believe the debate is over and that they have won.

The Confederacy Isn’t the Target
Their target is not the Confederacy. It is the United States. They mean to destroy symbols of American history writ large, because to them all of American history is racist and genocidal. Their goal is not to cleanse a nation they love of monuments to Confederate traitors who tried to secede, but to cleanse their consciences of ever having loved such an evil and irredeemably racist country in the first place.

That is why you see mobs defacing statues of abolitionists like Matthias Baldwin and Union war heroes like Adm. David Farragut and Gen. George Thomas. That is why the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier of the American Revolution in Philadelphia was vandalized this past weekend with the words “committed genocide.” That is why statues of Christopher Columbus were torn down or beheaded in three cities last week. That is why officials in Dallas recently removed a Texas Ranger statue from Love Field Airport. That is why a mob of college students toppled two statues of American pioneers on the University of Oregon campus. That is why Black Lives Matter protesters in San Antonio, Texas, are threatening to march on the Alamo.

To suppose this has anything to do with the Confederacy or the Civil War is to misunderstand completely the nature of what is happening right now in America. The people who are pulling down monuments, defacing statues, and demanding U.S. military bases be renamed do not have a limiting principle. They don’t distinguish between those who fought for freedom against the British Empire and those who fought for union against the slave states of the South. To them, the Union itself was a crime against humanity long before the South seceded. What kind of moral monster would ever fight to preserve it?

This is the 1619 Project come to life. If the American Revolution was fought to protect and preserve slavery then the entire history of American colonization and westward expansion is a litany of crimes that no one should celebrate. The Founding Fathers are no less guilty than Robert E. Lee and Jefferson Davis — not just because they owned slaves but because they founded the United States, a nation conceived not in liberty but in white supremacy.

In this reading of history, the crimes of Gen. George Washington are worse than the crimes of Gen. Lee. In religious terms — and make no mistake, this is a religious movement of the radical left — the founders are guilty of original sin, which we have all inherited and which only public penance and indulgences can erase.

There Is No Limiting Principle
You will nevertheless hear, and likely have already heard, arguments for a limiting principle, a way to justify pulling down Confederate monuments while allowing monuments to Christopher Columbus or Thomas Jefferson to stand.

The comedian Andrew Schulz tries to make this argument in a recent YouTube video. Confederates were traitors and slavers, he says. Their monuments were built to glorify a treasonous and failed effort to secede from the Union. The Founding Fathers might have had slaves and Columbus might have been a slaver, but we didn’t build monuments to honor them for these things. Their monuments were built to celebrate the good things they did, not the bad things. Confederates, like Nazis, only did bad things, so their monuments must come down.

But to accept this argument, you must first concede that Columbus and the founders did something good, that the achievements for which their monuments stand are worthy in the first place. You must accept, in other words, that the United States itself is deserving of praise and reverence, that there is something to celebrate and honor in our national heritage, that despite its faults and failures America has achieved a degree of liberty and prosperity unparalleled in human history.

This is precisely what the mob rejects. Schulz pokes fun at the people going after Columbus and the founders, calling them “crazy.” But they are not crazy according to their logic. They do not love America because America is wicked. There is almost nothing worth celebrating in our nation’s history, and almost nothing in our heritage worth honoring.

There’s a reason, for example, the anarchists and Antifa rioters in Seattle’s “autonomous zone” set up barricades and hung a sign saying, “Now Leaving The United States.”

These people don’t want to improve America. Like the monuments they despise, they want to tear it down.

John is the Political Editor at The Federalist. Follow him on Twitter.

The mobs defacing and pulling down monuments across America have no limiting principle because their target is America itself.

By John Daniel Davidson
JUNE 15, 2020

Angry mobs are tearing down and defacing monuments across America. They make no distinction between Confederate and Union, abolitionist and pro-slavery, 15th-century figures and 20th. They don’t care when a monument was erected, who built it, or why. They have not come to debate or persuade their fellow citizens to relocate these statues to museums or private property. They believe the debate is over and that they have won.

Their target is not the Confederacy. It is the United States. They mean to destroy symbols of American history writ large, because to them all of American history is racist and genocidal. Their goal is not to cleanse a nation they love of monuments to Confederate traitors who tried to secede, but to cleanse their consciences of ever having loved such an evil and irredeemably racist country in the first place.

That is why you see mobs defacing statues of abolitionists like Matthias Baldwin and Union war heroes like Adm. David Farragut and Gen. George Thomas. That is why the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier of the American Revolution in Philadelphia was vandalized this past weekend with the words “committed genocide.” That is why statues of Christopher Columbus were torn down or beheaded in three cities last week. That is why officials in Dallas recently removed a Texas Ranger statue from Love Field Airport. That is why a mob of college students toppled two statues of American pioneers on the University of Oregon campus. That is why Black Lives Matter protesters in San Antonio, Texas, are threatening to march on the Alamo.

To suppose this has anything to do with the Confederacy or the Civil War is to misunderstand completely the nature of what is happening right now in America. The people who are pulling down monuments, defacing statues, and demanding U.S. military bases be renamed do not have a limiting principle. They don’t distinguish between those who fought for freedom against the British Empire and those who fought for union against the slave states of the South. To them, the Union itself was a crime against humanity long before the South seceded. What kind of moral monster would ever fight to preserve it?

This is the 1619 Project come to life. If the American Revolution was fought to protect and preserve slavery then the entire history of American colonization and westward expansion is a litany of crimes that no one should celebrate. The Founding Fathers are no less guilty than Robert E. Lee and Jefferson Davis — not just because they owned slaves but because they founded the United States, a nation conceived not in liberty but in white supremacy.

In this reading of history, the crimes of Gen. George Washington are worse than the crimes of Gen. Lee. In religious terms — and make no mistake, this is a religious movement of the radical left — the founders are guilty of original sin, which we have all inherited and which only public penance and indulgences can erase.

You will nevertheless hear, and likely have already heard, arguments for a limiting principle, a way to justify pulling down Confederate monuments while allowing monuments to Christopher Columbus or Thomas Jefferson to stand.

The comedian Andrew Schulz tries to make this argument in a recent YouTube video. Confederates were traitors and slavers, he says. Their monuments were built to glorify a treasonous and failed effort to secede from the Union. The Founding Fathers might have had slaves and Columbus might have been a slaver, but we didn’t build monuments to honor them for these things. Their monuments were built to celebrate the good things they did, not the bad things. Confederates, like Nazis, only did bad things, so their monuments must come down.

But to accept this argument, you must first concede that Columbus and the founders did something good, that the achievements for which their monuments stand are worthy in the first place. You must accept, in other words, that the United States itself is deserving of praise and reverence, that there is something to celebrate and honor in our national heritage, that despite its faults and failures America has achieved a degree of liberty and prosperity unparalleled in human history.

This is precisely what the mob rejects. Schulz pokes fun at the people going after Columbus and the founders, calling them “crazy.” But they are not crazy according to their logic. They do not love America because America is wicked. There is almost nothing worth celebrating in our nation’s history, and almost nothing in our heritage worth honoring.

There’s a reason, for example, the anarchists and Antifa rioters in Seattle’s “autonomous zone” set up barricades and hung a sign saying, “Now Leaving The United States.”

These people don’t want to improve America. Like the monuments they despise, they want to tear it down.

Children of the Taliban and the Red Guard.

By John Daniel Davidson
JUNE 15, 2020

Maybe John's upset because he and Trump went 0-3 at their handpicked SCOTUS today...

Meanwhile, people on the Left kill statues, people on the Right kill people.

Who does Sgt Carrillo hate? WHO is his "target"?

"According to court documents, per the Mercury News, Carrillo had recently been posting libertarian, anti-law-enforcement rhetoric on social media, and he seemed to have a particular vendetta against law enforcement in general. According to a former friend and fellow Air Force officer, Justin Ehrhardt, Carrillo specifically had aligned himself with the so-called "Boogaloo" movement, a far-right, citizen militia group composed partly of current and former military people who believe that an armed conflict with the government is on the horizon. And Ehrhardt speculated further that watching police use of force against unarmed demonstrators on the news during the week of George Floyd's death may have finally pushed Carrillo over the edge."

https://sfist.com/2020/06/12/santa-...he-edge-by-police-actions-against-protesters/

Maybe John's upset because he and Trump went 0-3 at their handpicked SCOTUS today...

Meanwhile, people on the Left kill statues, people on the Right kill people.

Who does Sgt Carrillo hate? WHO is his "target"?

"According to court documents, per the Mercury News, Carrillo had recently been posting libertarian, anti-law-enforcement rhetoric on social media, and he seemed to have a particular vendetta against law enforcement in general. According to a former friend and fellow Air Force officer, Justin Ehrhardt, Carrillo specifically had aligned himself with the so-called "Boogaloo" movement, a far-right, citizen militia group composed partly of current and former military people who believe that an armed conflict with the government is on the horizon. And Ehrhardt speculated further that watching police use of force against unarmed demonstrators on the news during the week of George Floyd's death may have finally pushed Carrillo over the edge."

https://sfist.com/2020/06/12/santa-...he-edge-by-police-actions-against-protesters/

Crap...I'd been following that story a little but didn't see that he had been tied to Boogaloo ideology. That's an awful development. The world is chaotic enough without our law enforcement taking incoming from our armed forces.

And John Daniel Davidson is a crank.

By John Daniel Davidson
JUNE 15, 2020

Straw manning at its finest.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT