ADVERTISEMENT

The problem with America’s Police

Lucy01

Hall of Famer
Sep 16, 2014
When you let the police to unionize, the problems we are having is the result! The union protects the bad Cops! The same goes for the teachers also!

1-working-14-watching

Does anyone have the political will to take the unions ie Police and Teachers on? That is the real question.
If they want to fix the police and teacher problem and get rid of the bad apples! The union is the problem. They created this mess!

Does anyone have the political will to take on the ridiculous tax benefits received by religious "leaders" such as yourself?
Do you know why churches are tax exempt? It's because with the power of taxation is the power to control. The Founders knew that many of people in America had fled religious persecution so they took the power away from the state to control religion. Now I pay taxes myself because I am self employed under the Law. It is the church who is not taxed so the government does not have power over the religious institution.

When you let the police to unionize, the problems we are having is the result! The union protects the bad Cops! The same goes for the teachers also!

unions are like capitalism, they have no off switch.

both have necessary aspects though, and both are needed to counter the other.

both just need controls, so neither blows things up.

that said, capitalism is far and away the bigger offender, because they have infinitely more leverage. (Buffet, Blankfein, and Dimon, no doubt have bilked infinitely more than every police and teacher union in the country put together)

that said, i think the police unions are a scapegoat, and CYA is the far bigger culprit in cities not being willing to go after bad cops who did bad things.

and most cops aren't bad, and very needed..

Reactions: TommyCracker
We all agree the good cops greatly out number the bad cops. Given that the unions work on behalf of the majority, why would the good guys not want to weed out the bad apples?

I am not saying some bad cops over the years and in some circumstances may have escaped penalties thanks to union protection, but saying all police unions are bad is a questionable generalization.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
We all agree the good cops greatly out number the bad cops. Given that the unions work on behalf of the majority, why would the good guys not want to weed out the bad apples?

I am not saying some bad cops over the years and in some circumstances may have escaped penalties thanks to union protection, but saying all police unions are bad is a questionable generalization.
Are police unions the reason why it is harder to get rid of bad cops? Teacher unions are the reason why you cant get rid of bad teachers easier.

Are police unions the reason why it is harder to get rid of bad cops? Teacher unions are the reason why you cant get rid of bad teachers easier.

States, districts, and localities establish procedures on the firing of cops and teachers. The process and ease of firing depends on the procedures established. These procedures vary depending on the state and locality.

The influence of unions in establishing the procedures also varies from state to state, and district to district.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoosboot
Really? Where? Not in Indiana.

Pay and benefits play a role in hiring and keeping good teachers and police officers.

Here in Indiana some communities are having a hard time raising sufficient revenue to meet expenses with education and law enforcement being big ticket items.

Even unions understand the economic hardships facing many Hoosier communities.

On the face of it, it’s easier to tell a bad cop than a bad teacher. What makes a teacher good or bad? I think in a lot of cases people would disagree so teachers need protection from bad administrators. What do we want? The most learning on average? No one left behind? Nothing disturbing covered in class? Right religion? Hard? Easy? Smiles a lot?So many reasons someone might be kept or fired, some maybe valid.

Reactions: IUJIM and hoosboot
On the face of it, it’s easier to tell a bad cop than a bad teacher. What makes a teacher good or bad? I think in a lot of cases people would disagree so teachers need protection from bad administrators. What do we want? The most learning on average? No one left behind? Nothing disturbing covered in class? Right religion? Hard? Easy? Smiles a lot?So many reasons someone might be kept or fired, some maybe valid.

In addition to the problem of deciding which teacher is good or bad there is tenure to protect experienced teachers and a learning curve inexperienced teachers go through in becoming better educators.

Then there is testing which can be argued isn't the best way to grade teachers as some schools simply have smarter and better equipped students than do others.

Finally we have some parents prepared to blame the teachers for all the failures of their children. Meanwhile other parents speak highly of their school and teachers when in fact the system is failing to give their children a good education.

Bottom line, education and law enforcement are big expenses to our state and local governments, but aren't all that easy to administer.

I can’t imagine what brought that on but the first thing that came to my mind is that you went to a Catholic school. Tell us where all this happened to you.

Have heard rumors around the Water Cooler that Lucy is a bit of a tease. Hoping the rumors are false.

This thread could prove it, one way or the other.

Also, on the face of it, it is extremely easy in Indiana to slander or merely disparage a teacher with rumors, whispers, vague criticisms or outright lies. The teacher then basically has no chance to rebut.

Also, on the face of it, it is extremely easy in Indiana to slander or merely disparage a teacher with rumors, whispers, vague criticisms or outright lies. The teacher then basically has no chance to rebut.
Well let’s see we can start with the coach teacher at Park Tudor!

Isn't that the norm with the majority of folks these days.
Take to social media and the person is already guilty

Well let’s see we can start with the coach teacher at Park Tudor!

Come on Lucy, we want personal accounts which lead you to believe teachers are pedophiles.

Not an example of what our president calls fake news such has been reported about a coach at Park Tudor.

Lucy, hoping you don't believe much of what the media tells us.

Come on Lucy, we want personal accounts which lead you to believe teachers are pedophiles.

Not an example of what our president calls fake news such has been reported about a coach at Park Tudor.

Lucy, hoping you don't believe much of what the media tells us.
I don’t believe anything and I mean anything that CNN reports!

don’t believe anything and I mean anything that CNN reports!
So likely you do believe what you hear on Fox? If so you are probably a lost cause. You will buy bad cars from bad people, pay too much for houses, take a liking to the wrong women. Sound familiar? You have bad, bad judgement. Sorry Lucy.

ADVERTISEMENT