ADVERTISEMENT

The oversign...

MKordIUBB

Sophomore
Jul 19, 2017
How does it work? Since we still have a shot a Garland and Langford, could anyone give the details?

Btw: I don't think Garland will be a one and done. Most PG's wait, no matter how good they are. Phinisee transferring seems to be the only way we open a spot for Langford if he signs, and that might drive future recruits away. Then again, none of this might ever happen

It means that you can sign more players than there are scholarships allowed but you have to pare down your roster to the maximum number permitted before the season starts. That most likely means a transfer, an early graduation, or a player going pro before their eligibility is used up.

How does it work? Since we still have a shot a Garland and Langford, could anyone give the details?

Btw: I don't think Garland will be a one and done. Most PG's wait, no matter how good they are. Phinisee transferring seems to be the only way we open a spot for Langford if he signs, and that might drive future recruits away. Then again, none of this might ever happen

IIRC - You can sign a 14th person as long as you can prove to the NCAA there is a valid reason (ie a player with a good chance of going pro etc) the final roster has to be 13.

As far as over committing, Crean once had 16 committed and going for a 17th and he still didn't have a starting PG.

Garland is a Vandy/Duke lean currently, we only have a slim outside chance. Romeo is another matter.

Here are three options to open up that scholarship in order of likelihood.

1. Curtis Jones or Devonte Green transfer. With Garland and Langford coming in, one of these guys may see the writing on the wall. That writing would be made more clear if one of them does not play a significant role on the team this year.
2. De'Ron Davis goes pro. He has NBA skill, but he was out of shape last year. He has the potential to be the best center in the Big Ten this year if he gets his body right.
3. Juwan Morgan goes pro. Juwan is on the fringe, but he probably needs two more healthy years to develop.

Durham transferring would be a likely option if we land Garland. He's never playing with Garland and Phinesee on the roster.

1.Curtis Jones or Devonte Green transfer.

Seriously? You're high (or perhaps should be). Ought to be showing some love (deserved) for IU's badass sophomore backcourt tandem instead of promoting one of them departing as the greatest "likelihood" of opening up a roster spot for a phantom signee.

Rather watch them both play for three more years than any one and done.

Reactions: 37Hoosier
He had to field a team this year and didn't have time to recruit for 2017, 2018, and 2019.

2. De'Ron Davis goes pro. He has NBA skill, but he was out of shape last year. He has the potential to be the best center in the Big Ten this year if he gets his body right.

I don't disagree with the first part. He does have great potential. But I don't see him being a stand out pro prospect after this season. Even DJ White struggled to stay long in the pros and he was Big Ten POY as a true post, slightly under-sized.

Bryant and Williams both run the floor and Cody is one of the most mobile 7'0" around. Vonleh could shoot outside and had very high talent as an inside weapon.

By comparison and along the same lines, I'd say Wagner from Michigan and Happ from Wisconsin are much more likely forward pro prospects out of the B1G than Davis next year. And potentially Reggie Lynch (Minny), Isaac Haas (PU), and Nick Ward (MSU) as well. Plus slightly smaller forward prospects like Vince Edwards, Amir Coffey and Justin Jackson.

That's not to say Davis does't show a lot this year. But projecting high enough to go early would likely mean he would need to vault several of the guys I just listed.

This year Davis has to at least show he can be a major contributor throughout the game as he begins to play more minutes. After that, he'll need to score effortlessly against other post players and be able to extend his defense without fouling. Outside shooting, beyond that still. He has a lot to work on.

You a new IU fan?

Not an insult....just curious.

November 2014.

IU had signed OG and Juwan.

Was still recruiting TB and Thon Maker.

IU had NO seniors. None.

When Archie gets there I'll complain. Until then . . .

no you won't, nor will any of the other, "just win" crowd that thinks over signing is ok, as long as it's only "this many", not "that many".

fact is, someone is ok with it or they're not, and the "oks" are usually ok with other things the "not oks" usually aren't ok with..

if IU already had 20 schollies claimed and were looking at 10 more signs, you'd claim you have no problem with that, as long as they don't already have 30 committed while looking at another 30.

then when 17 guys suddenly out of the blue announce they're transferring before the start of school, you'll see it as that 30 being pared down to 13 somehow just "worked itself out" again, just as you knew it would.

no doubt some self congrats will also be in order for you, for correctly predicting again that it would "all work itself out".

on a side note, i also get a big kick out of the "it's ok to kick kids off the team, if they were recruited by a previous coach" gang.

wtf is that twisted self serving logic about?

no you won't, nor will any of the other, "just win" crowd that thinks over signing is ok, as long as it's only "this many", not "that many".

fact is, someone is ok with it or they're not, and the "oks" are usually ok with other things the "not oks" usually aren't ok with..

if IU already had 20 schollies claimed and were looking at 10 more signs, you'd claim you have no problem with that, as long as they don't already have 30 committed while looking at another 30.

then when 17 guys suddenly out of the blue announce they're transferring before the start of school, you'll see it as that 30 being pared down to 13 somehow just "worked itself out" again, just as you knew it would.

no doubt some self congrats will also be in order for you, for correctly predicting again that it would "all work itself out".

on a side note, i also get a big kick out of the "it's ok to kick kids off the team, if they were recruited by a previous coach" gang.

What part of "has no seniors, 2 players signed and still recruiting 2 others" equates to 1 OPEN scholarship that Archie is still recruiting for?

First rule of the oversign....don't ask about the oversign...

This is my philosophy. I gave up on the over sign a long time ago. Especially with new transfer rules coming. If we can get Romeo and Garland. I have zero problem with what that means to another player at end of bench.

And yes. I understand what that sounds like and what it means.

This is my philosophy. I gave up on the over sign a long time ago. Especially with new transfer rules coming. If we can get Romeo and Garland. I have zero problem with what that means to another player at end of bench.

I agree. I've "suffered" too long waiting "til next year". Make the Hoosiers a WINNER again.:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucy01

Sorry, I'll never "sell my soul" for wins.

Did you vote for Orange-Man?

Reactions: jnono

Experimental prose?

Reactions: MrBing and RBB89

Kids get recruited over, and often would be better off going to another school to get more PT.

If you don't want to worry about that possibility, you should go to Indiana State and not Indiana.

Sorry, I'll never "sell my soul" for wins.

Did you vote for Orange-Man?

So you equate selling your soul for wins by having a coach who is proactively trying to make the roster as strong as possible? Interesting.

No one ever understands what goes on behind the scenes. If our coach thinks he can add Romeo and Garland he must have a pretty good plan how that will work. Let's give Archie the benefit of the doubt since you know....he hasn't even coached a game for us, ok?

Reactions: IU Hardcore
So you equate selling your soul for wins by having a coach who is proactively trying to make the roster as strong as possible? Interesting.

?

If it comes to pushing kids out? Yes.

As I've said many times, it sure is HILARIOUS how Crean was CRUCIFIED for this but if Archie does it, it's all "part of the game just trying to make the team better."

Truly hate hypocrites........

As I've said many times, it sure is HILARIOUS how Crean was CRUCIFIED for this but if Archie does it, it's all "part of the game just trying to make the team better."

Either your new or don't recall. I never crucified Crean for over signing. To me it's part of doing business at what we hope is a high level program. If our coach thinks it's in IU's best interest. I'm fine with it. Whether it's Crean or Archie.

Why even get the blood pressure up on this? It hasn't happened. Archie hasn't coached a game. Chill on the all caps. Unless somehow official visits or in home visits suddenly mean a signed loi...

Either your new or don't recall. I never crucified Crean for over signing. To me it's part of doing business at what we hope is a high level program. If our coach thinks it's in IU's best interest. I'm fine with it. Whether it's Crean or Archie.

Why even get the blood pressure up on this? It hasn't happened. Archie hasn't coached a game. Chill on the all caps. Unless somehow official visits or in home visits suddenly mean a signed loi...

It's either a troll, or someone so stupid and clueless they appear to be a troll ... either way, waste of time. Point and laugh at him and ignore him. You're basically playing chess with a pigeon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rakkasan29
What I don't want is Archie running off players that he recruited. If he feels he made a mistake on a kid I think he should definitely be honest with the kid on the amount of playing time he's likely to receive but leave the decision to transfer entirely up to him. With guys like Durham and Moore it's a lot different though IMO. They were Crean recruits and knew they were taking a big chance by staying here. Hopefully they both work out but if not it's on Crean and themselves.

but you are a hypocrite. hate yourself? Archie has not over signed. Archie has not oversigned year after year., Archie has not brought in Jobe, muniru, Capo, Jurkin, April, priller, and Gelon. You like attention, and you like to bitch. Archie has done nothing to warrant this. Painter had NINE transfers his first two years at puke. Thoughts on this, mr whiner?

It's either a troll, or someone so stupid and clueless they appear to be a troll ... either way, waste of time. Point and laugh at him and ignore him. You're basically playing chess with a pigeon.

You "real" fans can try to re-write history all you want but Crean was blasted non-stop for over-signing.

Now, magically, it's just "part of the game."

but you are a hypocrite. hate yourself? Archie has not over signed. Archie has not oversigned year after year., Archie has not brought in Jobe, muniru, Capo, Jurkin, April, priller, and Gelon. You like attention, and you like to bitch. Archie has done nothing to warrant this. Painter had NINE transfers his first two years at puke. Thoughts on this, mr whiner?

we get it, it's only "oversigning" if someone other than Archie does it, and it only counts even with Archie, if Archie does it to one of his own recruits.

and it doesn't even count with Archie's own recruits, if the player isn't as good as other players.

too bad the term "quantitative easing" was already taken.

"oversigning" makes it sound like we're recruiting more kids than we have schollies, which is a total distortion of the situation.

at least so, after taking into account that players recruited by previous coaches and players that aren't as good as other players apparently don't count, therefore shouldn't even be considered in the numbers.

we get it, it's only "oversigning" if someone other than Archie does it, and it only counts even with Archie, if Archie does it to one of his own recruits.

and it doesn't even count with Archie's own recruits, if the player isn't as good as other players.

too bad the term "quantitative easing" was already taken.
It has NOT happened, silly.
"oversigning" makes it sound like we're recruiting more kids than we have schollies, which is a total distortion of the situation.

at least so, after taking into account that players recruited by previous coaches and players that aren't as good as other players apparently don't count, therefore shouldn't even be considered in the numbers.

Oversigning has NOT happened, silly. You Creaniacs are hilarious.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT