ADVERTISEMENT

The official NFL draft thread.

Taylor is a CLASSIC Ballard pick. High intelligence, high character, extremely productive, and extremely durable. When you couple that with the fact that he was actually the fastest running back in this draft, it should have been obvious that he was a possibility.

Although I admit, it was a surprise to me as well. I think we had other more pressing needs.
I'm all on board with the pick now, having watched a few interviews with the kid. Outstanding player and locker room guy. Great pick.

Taylor is a CLASSIC Ballard pick. High intelligence, high character, extremely productive, and extremely durable. When you couple that with the fact that he was actually the fastest running back in this draft, it should have been obvious that he was a possibility.
I'm all on board with the pick now, having watched a few interviews with the kid. Outstanding player and locker room guy. Great pick.
You guys know your shit far far more than I could ever hope to, but from what I've seen of Taylor, I think he has the potential to be a franchise type player -- if there ever can be such a thing at the running back position the way the game is played today. I'm thinking James and Dickerson good.

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
You guys know your shit far far more than I could ever hope to, but from what I've seen of Taylor, I think he has the potential to be a franchise type player -- if there ever can be such a thing at the running back position the way the game is played today. I'm thinking James and Dickerson good.
Yeah he'll come in and be effective the first game of the season. I think he'll be a monster behind this line. The "only" question about him is his long-term durability after all those yards he racked up at Wisconsin. But if they keep Mack around, and with Hines, he won't have to carry the whole load. And as far as his durability is he's never even missed a practice in his 3 years at Wisconsin, much less a game. Solid, solid pick.

Reactions: UncleMark
Yeah he'll come in and be effective the first game of the season. I think he'll be a monster behind this line. The "only" question about him is his long-term durability after all those yards he racked up at Wisconsin. But if they keep Mack around, and with Hines, he won't have to carry the whole load. And as far as his durability is he's never even missed a practice in his 3 years at Wisconsin, much less a game. Solid, solid pick.
You and someone else mention the yards or mileage he's racked up, like there's only so much a running back has over his career. That may be true, but I'd think a better metric would be the number of carries. You're probably going to get the same abuse on a three yard gain as on a twelve yard run. If there's a finite number of hits a player can take, I'd look at carries rather than yards. Taylor may still be high on that scale, I dunno.

My only question about him were some key fumbles he coughed up over the past couple of seasons. Fix that with coaching (which evidently they think they can) and we have scored a real value at that pick number (in my opinion)...

You and someone else mention the yards or mileage he's racked up, like there's only so much a running back has over his career. That may be true, but I'd think a better metric would be the number of carries. You're probably going to get the same abuse on a three yard gain as on a twelve yard run. If there's a finite number of hits a player can take, I'd look at carries rather than yards. Taylor may still be high on that scale, I dunno.
It's a real good point and I don't know what his YPC average was, haven't done a deep dive on him. I'm not really concerned about durability with him, but that's simply the only possible knock on him I could think of. He checks every other box.
Don't forget - the Colts also signed a true fullback this year. And They signed Trey Burton at TE who will help with blocking as well. Taylor should just tear it up this year.

Reactions: UncleMark and 76-1
My only question about him were some key fumbles he coughed up over the past couple of seasons. Fix that with coaching (which evidently they think they can) and we have scored a real value at that pick number (in my opinion)...
I think in one of Taylor's interviews he was asked about his fumbles, and he mentioned that the majority of them were from his Freshman season. He took ownership of that and had a great answer about ball protection being so important and how he's constantly working on it. Indy press will love this guy, he's a great interview.

Reactions: UncleMark and 76-1
And, the colts take Jacob Eason! Love the pick where they took him.

Eason appears to be another great value at that particular pick #... If he is able to be "groomed" a bit he might just turn out to be a truly great pick...

Ballard (the Colts GM) is such a major step up from that purdue idiot we had awhile back it's like night versus day...

Eason appears to be another great value at that particular pick #... If he is able to be "groomed" a bit he might just turn out to be a truly great pick...

Ballard (the Colts GM) is such a major step up from that purdue idiot we had awhile back it's like night versus day...
Eason may end up being a brilliant pick. I think he has the perfect opportunity. He has all the physical skills to excel in the NFL. Maybe not the most mobile guy, but has a cannon of an arm and he's accurate. He's compared a lot to Drew Bledsoe.

There are questions about his work ethic, etc. Look, he's been a college kid that went through an injury, lost his starting job as a result (to a guy still on the board...), transferred, had to sit, etc. I'm hoping he can show he's gained some maturity and with the Colts, he has every opportunity to develop both as a player but also as a pro. If he's able to do that and learn to prepare the way a pro is expected to, particularly a potential franchise QB, then we will have gotten a steal with this pick. If not, then we're only out a 4th round pick. It's a win-win all the way around. That said, I was hoping we'd take Morgan instead. But if Eason can realize his potential - and that's a big if - then he's our long-term answer at QB - for a 4th round pick. It's a low-risk gamble that was definitely worth taking.

Reactions: 76-1
Ok with a 6th round pick, Colts take Rob Windsor DT Penn State. Could be fine. Not an exciting pick. Depth is always good - hopefully the guy turns out to be worth hanging onto.

Ok so the draft is essentially over for the Colts. The next interesting thing will be the FA signings over the next 24 hours.

So, out of this draft, where do we stand:

Got a legit #2 WR
Got a legit #1 RB
Got a legit #1 or #2 safety, and a guy that can rotate into CB if needed.
Got a legit possibility QB of being the future of the franchise...4th round...
Got a legit rotational sub O-line guy to replace Haeg.

Got a legit #2 WR
Maybe another productive receiver in the 6th. They both have nice size.

Got a legit #1 or #2 safety, and a guy that can rotate into CB if needed.
Fingers crossed he recovers from the torn ACL. Probably won't produce until 2021 season.

Got a legit possibility QB of being the future of the franchise...4th round...
We'll see how the dice land.

Got a legit rotational sub O-line guy to replace Haeg.
I liked what I saw on the film shown today. Good size, quick and athletic.

The sad thing about the NFL draft year is it’s the only thing on. I honestly never watched past the first 5 picks, but this year it was well into the 5th round before I decided to find something/anything else on TV.

Mack won’t be kept. That’s why they drafted Taylor.

In today’s NFL, you don’t resign running backs to big deals unless they’re superstars, ala McCaffrey. Even then it’s a dubious proposition, as the Rams can attest to.

Reactions: Brockway
Mack won’t be kept. That’s why they drafted Taylor.

In today’s NFL, you don’t resign running backs to big deals unless they’re superstars, ala McCaffrey. Even then it’s a dubious proposition, as the Rams can attest to.
yeah that's entirely possible. I'm sure they'll let him explore the market and see what he thinks his value is when the time comes. Maybe he jumps to someone else in need of a RB1, or maybe he takes market value and sticks around. Either way, now with Taylor here, the Colts won't over-pay Mack on a new contract.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT