ADVERTISEMENT

The North Carolina game will not be pretty.

OK. So IU just goes away from what they do? I'd take my chances running, opposed to trying to score in the HC, vs UNC.
I agree Borden. Indiana will still do what they do best ad will Carolina. The game being in Bloomington will fuel the Hoosiers and sO am convinced they will play well running with Carolina. I like your comment about not wanting to play halfcourt against Carolina's defense, as I don't want to play halfcourt vs IU either. Looking forward to both teams playing their style and it being a tremendous watch.

No, they are not. But that wasnt the point of my post. IU was just fine "running" with UNC(last year). Our demise was because they done something they really hadnt done on year.......They made threes. And a lot of them. At a high percentage.
True. The worst 3 point shooting Carolina team ever.......Played for the Championship on that ladt Monday night, and I feel they are better this year in every phase.

True. The worst 3 point shooting Carolina team ever.......Played for the Championship on that ladt Monday night, and I feel they are better this year in every phase.

I agree. I posted on Rivals on this very thing; which woke up BBN. Imagine that, Anyways....

IU is 10th in AdjO. 14th in 3pt %. 17th in ppg(89). I assure you, those numbers are not because of our efficient, half court offense.

Also, UNC's defense has been smothering. Feel our best chance to score is by getting out in transition. Slow it down when its not there. Bur IU needs to attack.

Reactions: hoosier_est_1984
No, they are not. But that wasnt the point of my post. IU was just fine "running" with UNC(last year). Our demise was because they done something they really hadnt done on year.......They made threes. And a lot of them. At a high percentage.

They were more athletic, had more ball handlers, and I would guess both scored more ppg and had fewer TO's per game on the year; all things that would give one pause in running against them. Well most people. I get it: you've watched our coach gameplan too, and realize adjustment really isn't in his vocab, but some tweaks would have been a good idea. You said running with them wasn't a bad idea. Actually, it was!

They were more athletic, had more ball handlers, and I would guess both scored more ppg and had fewer TO's per game on the year; all things that would give one pause in running against them. Well most people. I get it: you've watched our coach gameplan too, and realize adjustment really isn't in his vocab, but some tweaks would have been a good idea. You said running with them wasn't a bad idea. Actually, it was!

Just dont agree. With the weapons we had(last year); Yogi and Williams. Plus our big strength was hitting threes in transition. I just dont feel teams should go away from what they do, just because the other team may do it better. Up tempo, lots of possessions is what our offense is. I mean we are not very good, right now, in the HC. I like our chances much, much better by playing an up tempo game.

I wasn't impressed with Butler the other day. I believe IU wins that game going away.
The best game in Indy will be the Purdue & Notre Dame matchup. IU fans should watch that matchup closing as I think ND and IU resemble each other a great deal and how ND plays Purdue could be telling.

Butler is solid and top 15. IU will need to be very smart with the ball or they lose like Arizona did. They have a great young coach and perhaps the best program in the state now.

Why was it a bad idea? Thats how IU plays. Indiana didnt lose because they ran with UNC. They lost because a 33% 3-pt shooting team(268th in NCAA), hit 9 of their first 10 three's. Including hit 7 of 8 in 1st half. They shot 11-20 from three. Or 55%. Again, from a team that ON THE SEASON was 268th in the country from three.

Running with Carolina wasnt a mistake then. And it wont be Wed. either.
Because carolina has been running since 1954 and they recruit well for their style of play and theyre good at it. We have a coach that taljs about it but when it comes to execution hes woefully lacking. Unless a team has an advantage in talent running with unc is foolish.

Butler is solid and top 15. IU will need to be very smart with the ball or they lose like Arizona did. They have a great young coach and perhaps the best program in the state now.
Top 15 In the big east?

Because carolina has been running since 1954 and they recruit well for their style of play and theyre good at it. We have a coach that taljs about it but when it comes to execution hes woefully lacking. Unless a team has an advantage in talent running with unc is foolish.
Ummmm, ok?

Why was it a bad idea? Thats how IU plays. Indiana didnt lose because they ran with UNC. They lost because a 33% 3-pt shooting team(268th in NCAA), hit 9 of their first 10 three's. Including hit 7 of 8 in 1st half. They shot 11-20 from three. Or 55%. Again, from a team that ON THE SEASON was 268th in the country from three.

^^^^ THIS

Its a shame if anyone even questions anything but this...In all honesty, If UNC hadn't of, they wouldn't of won

^^^^ THIS

Its a shame if anyone even questions anything but this...In all honesty, If UNC hadn't of, they wouldn't of won
Really?

It's been noted that UNC was not a great 3-point shooting team, ranking 268th in the country from long range . . . YET the ONLY reason they were able to beat us was due to them "getting lucky" and hitting a bunch of 3's?

So, how did they win 30 games (up to that point)? How did they win the ACC - both RS and tournament? How did they get a #1 seed?

You're ASSUMING that - had they missed those treys - IU would have automatically gotten the rebounds. So did you know that UNC ranked in the top 10 in rebounding last year? And they have for many years - it's what ALLOWS them to play that style successfully.

But you all believe what you want . . .

Last edited:
UNC, Butler, and UofL will probably beat us. They actually have a good head coach on their bench.

I agree Borden. Indiana will still do what they do best ad will Carolina. The game being in Bloomington will fuel the Hoosiers and sO am convinced they will play well running with Carolina. I like your comment about not wanting to play halfcourt against Carolina's defense, as I don't want to play halfcourt vs IU either. Looking forward to both teams playing their style and it being a tremendous watch.

The problem with playing IU in Assembly Hall, is that visiting teams always have problems shooting the ball here. It's loud. It's a unique background, and IU is always more amped up at home. Our mens and women's teams went 32-0 last year in Assembly Hall. Visiting teams play like crap here, all the time.

Reactions: Hoogolf
Because the reason they were attempting so many threes is because we were actually making it difficult for them to go inside. You think they were just launching threes for the f**k of it? No, they were taking what we gave them and they happen to hit them that game. I don't like Crean at all, but his game plan for that game was correct as far as trying to deny UNC interior play as much as possible.
Where did I argue against any of what you commented here om?

The reason UNC beat us WASN'T because they hit a bunch of threes - it's because they play that style better than we do and do the things that allow them to do it well - of which rebounding is one. And it's not like we were would-beaters on preventing opponent 3pt percentage (or any defensive metric, for that matter).

Crean favors playing a style like (or very similar to) Carolina. UNC can do it because they are successful recruiting the players needed to play that system effectively and do the little things when shots don't fall to make up for them not falling.

These things don't happen by accident - just as Crean's results haven't happened by accident, either.

The reason UNC beat us WASN'T because they hit a bunch of threes - it's because they play that style better than we do and do the things that allow them to do it well - of which rebounding is one.

Keep bringing this up....Why? CArolina only outrebounded IU 37-32. Offensive boards were even. That game was won/lost on Carolina doing something we didnt expect....UNC hitting a high percentage of three's.

I know this. Had you told me before the game that.............

A. We'd hit 13 threes
B. Only get out rebounded 37-32
c. Commit 12 turnovers
d. Get 25 and 21 from Yogi and Troy

I'd told you IU would win.

But throw in UNC hitting 11-20 from three( the one HUGE advantage we had), and it all changes.

It was a HUUUUGE reason Carolina won. The only reason? Of course not. But it played a significant role.

Really?

It's been noted that UNC was not a great 3-point shooting team, ranking 268th in the country from long range . . . YET the ONLY reason they were able to beat us was due to them "getting lucky" and hitting a bunch of 3's?

So, how did they win 30 games (up to that point)? How did they win the ACC - both RS and tournament? How did they get a #1 seed?

You're ASSUMING that - had they missed those treys - IU would have automatically gotten the rebounds. So did you know that UNC ranked in the top 10 in rebounding last year? And they have for many years - it's what ALLOWS them to play that style successfully.

They did so because they were a really, really good team. That's obvious. I'll ask this:

What do you feel Carolina did that enable them to win? Rebounding? Force turnovers? Fast break points?
All the above? What?

Really?

Here's what your NOT considering:

IU was fine giving UNC the three. MOF, it's what IU wanted. BUT......when they started making them' it added an element to an already explosive offense, that they hadn't had all year. Now not only did IU have to defend the post, as expected, They now how ro defend the three. Impossible. Carolina making threes opened up a lot of other options. And that changed the game. I highly doubt IU, or anyone for that matter, expected UNC to go 7-8 from three, in the first half. But they did. And it changed the game dramatically.

Carolina hitting a bunch of threes wasnt THE problem. But it created a lot more problems that IU simply couldnt overcome.

Here's what your NOT considering:

IU was fine giving UNC the three. MOF, it's what IU wanted. BUT......when they started making them' it added an element to an already explosive offense, that they hadn't had all year. Now not only did IU have to defend the post, as expected, They now how ro defend the three. Impossible. Carolina making threes opened up a lot of other options. And that changed the game. I highly doubt IU, or anyone for that matter, expected UNC to go 7-8 from three, in the first half. But they did. And it changed the game dramatically.

Carolina hitting a bunch of threes wasnt THE problem. But it created a lot more problems that IU simply couldnt overcome.
Again , you're not considering that had they not hit the threes IU wouldn't necessarily had an inside advantage.

Moreover, do you think it's a possibility that UNC shot so well from 3 is because we do a poor job of guarding it? Don't give me the "we were guarding the inside" excuse, either. Our defense has been lacking in ALL phases during the entire Tom Crean era.

Simply put: we run with UNC it's a bad idea. Even if that's the way we like to play, they do it better - much better. Our only advantage Wednesday night is SSAH.

They did so because they were a really, really good team. That's obvious. I'll ask this:

What do you feel Carolina did that enable them to win? Rebounding? Force turnovers? Fast break points?
All the above? What?
Yeah, pretty much all you have listed there - and more.

They out rebounded us 37-32.

They moved and shared the ball better (them 20 assists, us 13).

We had 1 block and 2 steals; they had 5 and 7.

We had 12 turnovers - one of our best games of the year. They had NINE.

And don't forget we shot 23-26 FT's.

Our shooting covered up a lot of deficiencies last year. They were exposed in that game.

The reason UNC beat us WASN'T because they hit a bunch of threes - it's because they play that style better than we do and do the things that allow them to do it well - of which rebounding is one. And it's not like we were would-beaters on preventing opponent 3pt percentage (or any defensive metric, for that matter).

Crean favors playing a style like (or very similar to) Carolina. UNC can do it because they are successful recruiting the players needed to play that system effectively and do the little things when shots don't fall to make up for them not falling.

These things don't happen by accident - just as Crean's results haven't happened by accident, either.

Yes, you're actually arguing that and just not realizing it. You're saying UNC beat us because they played "their style". Well, "their style" last season was beating teams inside because they, well, sucked at shooting 3s. We were actually able to prevent their inside game and forced them to shoot 3s. They just happen to shoot, like, 90% instead of 33%. That was not "their style".

That particular game I'll defend Crean a little. I'm not a Crean fan at all and outside of this particular thread, or this particular point, it's pretty obvious. I don't like his style, I think his recruiting leaves to many openings and isn't consistent enough, I think his substitutions are insane, and I just don't think his overall record/pattern as a head coach (in total) don't promise much.

Again , you're not considering that had they not hit the threes IU wouldn't necessarily had an inside advantage.

Moreover, do you think it's a possibility that UNC shot so well from 3 is because we do a poor job of guarding it? Don't give me the "we were guarding the inside" excuse, either. Our defense has been lacking in ALL phases during the entire Tom Crean era.

Simply put: we run with UNC it's a bad idea. Even if that's the way we like to play, they do it better - much better. Our only advantage Wednesday night is SSAH.
OK. A team shooting 33% on the season, shoots 55% from three. Including a blistering 87% in first half. And it had nothing to do with them winning. Didnt change the game in any way. Yeah, ok.

Guess IU should slow the pace Wed, and try to expose UNC with that efficient' half court attack we have.

Yeah.

Yes, you're actually arguing that and just not realizing it. You're saying UNC beat us because they played "their style". Well, "their style" last season was beating teams inside because they, well, sucked at shooting 3s. We were actually able to prevent their inside game and forced them to shoot 3s. They just happen to shoot, like, 90% instead of 33%. That was not "their style".

That particular game I'll defend Crean a little. I'm not a Crean fan at all and outside of this particular thread, or this particular point, it's pretty obvious. I don't like his style, I think his recruiting leaves to many openings and isn't consistent enough, I think his substitutions are insane, and I just don't think his overall record/pattern as a head coach (in total) don't promise much.

From the ESPN box score recap: "The Tar Heels were scoring almost at will, especially inside, where the Hoosiers were no match for Meeks, Johnson and Jackson."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=400872339

Yeah, pretty much all you have listed there - and more.

They out rebounded us 37-32.

They moved and shared the ball better (them 20 assists, us 13).

We had 1 block and 2 steals; they had 5 and 7.

We had 12 turnovers - one of our best games of the year. They had NINE.

And don't forget we shot 23-26 FT's.

Our shooting covered up a lot of deficiencies last year. They were exposed in that game.
And dont forget they hit 11-20 three's. Which is absurd considering that wasnt something UNC did.

Also, getting out rebounded 37-32 by Carolina is not bad. Hell actually I thought IU did a hell of a job(rebounding) vs that front line. Not to mention battling them on offensive boards(15-15).

Bottom line:

UNC shooting the three the way they did was THE difference.

Reactions: IU Scott
From the ESPN box score recap: "The Tar Heels were scoring almost at will, especially inside, where the Hoosiers were no match for Meeks, Johnson and Jackson."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=400872339
Did you watch the game? UNC scored 12 of their first 14 points, via the three( ALL FOUR BY Paige). That opened the game up for UNC.

Meeks and Johnson were tough. Although Jackson scored 14, almost all his FG were jumpers. Not to mention he went 3-9.

Do you guys not understand basketball? Or how doing ONE thing, CAN open up another option? I starting to think not.

Reactions: Hoosier in Tokyo
Carolina looks to get out and run. Attacking the rim, filling the lanes with bigs, and crashing the offensive glass. Their style isnt beating you with the three. Indiana's is. Its two totally different approaches to "running".

It may not matter with THIS UNC team anyways. Wisky slowed them down and we all saw how that turned out.

IU has to do what they do. Now that doesnt mean get into a full fledged track meet. But they have to do what they do. Push the ball. I mean have you seen our half court offense? Yeah, thats what IU needs to do.:eek:

Carolina looks to get out and run. Attacking the rim, filling the lanes with bigs, and crashing the offensive glass. Their style isnt beating you with the three. Indiana's is. Its two totally different approaches to "running".

It may not matter with THIS UNC team anyways. Wisky slowed them down and we all saw how that turned out.

IU has to do what they do. Now that doesnt mean get into a full fledged track meet. But they have to do what they do. Push the ball. I mean have you seen our half court offense? Yeah, thats what IU needs to do.:eek:

Wisky slows everyone down. It's an amazing, and at the same time boring, thing to watch. Well, it's boring if you aren't a WI fan. I'm sure all that winning over the past 10-15 years isn't boring

Exactly.

All because Bob Knight was an absolute a$$ doesn't mean we can't have a coach who is similar in style without the histrionics.
I was being quite sarcastic. Though I hate his style, I'd take a coach like Ryan here in a heartbeat.

OK. So IU just goes away from what they do? I'd take my chances running, opposed to trying to score in the HC, vs UNC.

Yes, Coach, at times you do have to adjust your philosophy to your competition. I didn't realize you posted here Tom!

Did you watch the game? UNC scored 12 of their first 14 points, via the three( ALL FOUR BY Paige). That opened the game up for UNC.

Meeks and Johnson were tough. Although Jackson scored 14, almost all his FG were jumpers. Not to mention he went 3-9.

Do you guys not understand basketball? Or how doing ONE thing, CAN open up another option? I starting to think not.

I was simply responding to Super's statement that IU "prevented" UNC's inside game. Look at the shot chart from the game; 75% of their 2PT field goals were literally inside the paint.

UNC outscored IU 34-20 in the paint.

And, yes, I'm familiar with the concept of spreading the defense. To accomplish that against IU isn't some big feat, though. FW just did it the other night.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT