ADVERTISEMENT

The NFL's corporate welfare..........

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
It bothers me that the Cincinnati Bungles, due entirely to their horrific management, will get the first pick in each round of the NFL draft. Compare that to college football, where you get the worst recruiting as punishment for losing. Those are some real life consequences.

I don't understand why the NFL couldn't do an NBA-like lottery where the worst 6 teams draw for draft order in each round, ahead of the draft. I'd do one thing different---the teams #ed 1-6 would all have an equal chance at the top pick. So a given team might pick #1 in the first round, #6 in the 2nd.

I get it that the idea is to create parity......but to ensure the Bungles get Burrow due to sheer incompetency is a bit much. I also see the whole arrangement as unfair to franchises like the Pats or the Steelers who gradually weaken over the years through no fault of their own.

Thoughts?

Reactions: vesuvius13
It bothers me that the Cincinnati Bungles, due entirely to their horrific management, will get the first pick in each round of the NFL draft. Compare that to college football, where you get the worst recruiting as punishment for losing. Those are some real life consequences.

I don't understand why the NFL couldn't do an NBA-like lottery where the worst 6 teams draw for draft order in each round, ahead of the draft. I'd do one thing different---the teams #ed 1-6 would all have an equal chance at the top pick. So a given team might pick #1 in the first round, #6 in the 2nd.

I get it that the idea is to create parity......but to ensure the Bungles get Burrow due to sheer incompetency is a bit much. I also see the whole arrangement as unfair to franchises like the Pats or the Steelers who gradually weaken over the years through no fault of their own.

Thoughts?

The NBA lottery came into being because it became apparent that teams were intentionally losing to get the top pick (specifically Houston going 14-68 to get Ralph Sampson). in basketball, its easier for a single player to have a big immediate impact, and its usually more apparent who is going to become a great pro player, so there's just a more apparent reward for tanking in the NBA that you need to guard against.

Also, due to the sheer number of players and coaches on an NFL team, most of whom need to have their sights set on their next contract, few people on any given team are likely benefit from a top draft pick by the time they starts to make an impact

Last edited:
The NBA lottery came into being because it became apparent that teams were intentionally losing to get the top pick (specifically Houston going 14-68 to get Ralph Sampson). in basketball, its easier for a single player to have a big immediate impact, and its usually more apparent who is going to become a great pro player, so there's just a more apparent reward for tanking in the NBA that you need to guard against.

Also, due to the sheer number of players and coaches on an NFL team, most of whom need to have their sights set on their next contract, few people on any given team are likely benefit from a top draft pick by the time they starts to make an impact

I know that's the reason for it in the NBA........

And frankly, I know the NFL is all about the $$$$$$$$$. They can't let a team like the Bengals suck year after year after year without it hurting the brand. And they can't let a team like the Pats win year after year after year without it hurting the bottom line.

But since I'm not an NFL owner, what I'm mostly interested in is competitive fairness. With the salary cap, and the billions that these teams are worth, there's no reason other than incompetence for a team like the Bengals to suck for more than a couple of years at a time. As it is Mike Brown, who has to be one of the biggest dicks in sports, will likely get to draft Burrow next year, and they will experience a big attendance increase.

Consider what an accomplishment it is for teams like the Steelers and the Pats to finish at or near the top of the heap when they've been drafting last for 10-15 years.............

I know that's the reason for it in the NBA........

And frankly, I know the NFL is all about the $$$$$$$$$. They can't let a team like the Bengals suck year after year after year without it hurting the brand. And they can't let a team like the Pats win year after year after year without it hurting the bottom line.

But since I'm not an NFL owner, what I'm mostly interested in is competitive fairness. With the salary cap, and the billions that these teams are worth, there's no reason other than incompetence for a team like the Bengals to suck for more than a couple of years at a time. As it is Mike Brown, who has to be one of the biggest dicks in sports, will likely get to draft Burrow next year, and they will experience a big attendance increase.

Consider what an accomplishment it is for teams like the Steelers and the Pats to finish at or near the top of the heap when they've been drafting last for 10-15 years.............

The Bengals really haven't sucked that much, though. Since the league went to 32 teams in 2002. Cincy is only about a game under .500, and has been to the playoffs 7 times, above league average. And that's with the last 4 years pulling down those numbers

Cincy hasn't had any truly noteworthy seasons in that time frame, but the worst you can say is that they have been exceedingly average overall.

The Bengals really haven't sucked that much, though. Since the league went to 32 teams in 2002. Cincy is only about a game under .500, and has been to the playoffs 7 times, above league average. And that's with the last 4 years pulling down those numbers

Cincy hasn't had any truly noteworthy seasons in that time frame, but the worst you can say is that they have been exceedingly average overall.

Interesting.....better than I would have guessed....

I listen to WLW out of Cincy a lot......if I was an NFL plan I'd hate to have Mike Brown as the owner. Hell of a negotiator though....apparently shafted the inept city administration big-time on the stadium deal.

Thoughts?

If you were Burrow, how difficult would it be going from OSU & LSU in college to the Bengals, with their OL, in the pros? Concerning, I would think. And Mike Brown, if he drifts Burrow, will be a tough negotiator, bank on that.

Would Brown trade that pick? He doesn't operate the same as other owners/GMs.

If you were Burrow, how difficult would it be going from OSU & LSU in college to the Bengals, with their OL, in the pros? Concerning, I would think. And Mike Brown, if he drifts Burrow, will be a tough negotiator, bank on that.

It would be a major gamble but the odds that the Bengals suck next year are pretty good. Why not take Chase Young #1 this year and Trevor Lawrence next year with the #1 pick? I don’t think I’d risk it but Mike Brown on the other hand.

I don't suppose anyone is willing anymore to pull an Elway and just tell the club with the #1 pick that he refuses to play for them.

It used to be the opposite before they introduced the rookie salary cap. For example look at the Lions when Millen was their GM. They kept getting super high draft picks and he kept making bad picks. Without the rookie salary cap he was giving these total busts crazy money and that meant that they couldn't be active in free agency and they had salary cap issues as well. Nowadays if you draft a QB and he outplays his contract you have that rookie contract window to really build a team without committing $20 million plus to your QB. Colts had that with Luck, but that clown Grigson totally blew it. If Ballard was the GM back then Luck would probably still be in the NFL and the Colts would've probably gone to another SB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT