ADVERTISEMENT

The next European war will be caused by whelks

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
In case you haven't been following - and you probably haven't, because why would you? - a huge diplomatic kerfuffle is flaring up in the English channel. Among the various post-Brexit arguments between the EU and the UK, Jersey (which is not technically part of the UK, but that's a whole different ball of legal wax) recently issued their annual fishing licenses to French fishermen looking to collect in Jersey's waters. Some were shocked to find that, while they had been expected to fish around Jersey for 40 days this year, they were only granted permission for 11!

Jersey's waters being rich in shellfish, this would not stand. France hinted at shutting off the island's power (which comes from underwater cable from the mainland; like all the Channel Islands, Jersey is owned by the queen, but is snuggled right up against the French coast). Then they put together a fleet and threatened to blockade Jersey's ports if the island didn't back down. So BoJo is sending two warships to the island to keep its ports open.

Like the other Channel Islands, Jersey is a remnant of the old Duchy of Normandy. When the English finally lost all their continental possessions in France, they never gave up the Islands. So they developed into what are called "Crown Dependencies." Technically, they are self-governing possessions of the Crown, but they are not internationally recognized as sovereign states. The UK is responsible for their foreign policy and defense, and the UK Parliament reserves the right to pass legislation pertaining to them, but for the most part, they tend to their own affairs. In fact, legally, Brexit didn't affect them, because they have never been a part of the EU. They have their own cultures and languages (descended from French-Norman), and even issue their own stamps and passports.

They are also probably the only independent territories that have the awesome designation of "Bailiwicks." That is to say, they are territories under the authority of a Bailiff. The island of Sark, part of the Bailiwick of Guernsey, is famous for being the last European jurisdiction to give up feudalism, in 2008.

In case you haven't been following - and you probably haven't, because why would you? - a huge diplomatic kerfuffle is flaring up in the English channel. Among the various post-Brexit arguments between the EU and the UK, Jersey (which is not technically part of the UK, but that's a whole different ball of legal wax) recently issued their annual fishing licenses to French fishermen looking to collect in Jersey's waters. Some were shocked to find that, while they had been expected to fish around Jersey for 40 days this year, they were only granted permission for 11!

Jersey's waters being rich in shellfish, this would not stand. France hinted at shutting off the island's power (which comes from underwater cable from the mainland; like all the Channel Islands, Jersey is owned by the queen, but is snuggled right up against the French coast). Then they put together a fleet and threatened to blockade Jersey's ports if the island didn't back down. So BoJo is sending two warships to the island to keep its ports open.

Like the other Channel Islands, Jersey is a remnant of the old Duchy of Normandy. When the English finally lost all their continental possessions in France, they never gave up the Islands. So they developed into what are called "Crown Dependencies." Technically, they are self-governing possessions of the Crown, but they are not internationally recognized as sovereign states. The UK is responsible for their foreign policy and defense, and the UK Parliament reserves the right to pass legislation pertaining to them, but for the most part, they tend to their own affairs. In fact, legally, Brexit didn't affect them, because they have never been a part of the EU. They have their own cultures and languages (descended from French-Norman), and even issue their own stamps and passports.

They are also probably the only independent territories that have the awesome designation of "Bailiwicks." That is to say, they are territories under the authority of a Bailiff. The island of Sark, part of the Bailiwick of Guernsey, is famous for being the last European jurisdiction to give up feudalism, in 2008.
Your intellectual curiosity is inspiring and piques my interest in things I would’ve never thought of on my own. Other times, you make me feel like VPM, and the shit is over my head. This is one of those times.😊

Your intellectual curiosity is inspiring and piques my interest in things I would’ve never thought of on my own. Other times, you make me feel like VPM, and the shit is over my head. This is one of those times.😊
Even today, the Channel Islands retain some quirks from feudal days. A thousand year old law allows anyone who feels he is being wronged to stop the supposedly wrongful act by reciting the Lord's Prayer in Norman French, and yelling out "Haro! Haro! Haro! A l’aide mon Prince. On me fait tort!" which roughly translates to "Hear me! Hear me! Hear me! Come to my aid, my Prince. I am being wronged!" The other party must immediately stop what he is doing while the party claiming wrong has 24 hours to file a claim in court. It is called the "Clameur de Haro," and was last used in Guernsey in 2018 by a woman protesting the narrowing of a road.

I had to look that up on Google maps... and there's a Guernsey not too far from Jersey. 😁 I had never heard of either one. I knew there were Channel Islands but had never read anything about them and had no idea about any names associated with them.

What are the French really going to do? Throw Croissants while wearing Berets?

I had to look that up on Google maps... and there's a Guernsey not too far from Jersey. 😁 I had never heard of either one. I knew there were Channel Islands but had never read anything about them and had no idea about any names associated with them.
I’ve been to Guernsey. Hiked along the coast and drank a pint in the Albion House tavern. The islands have an interesting WWII history. Ike bypassed them and Nazis were there until the surrender. Occupation became difficult for occupiers and occupied because of food shortages.

Albion_House_Tavern_plaque_Guernsey.jpg

Goat was Brexit a good idea in your opinion? to me if the uk is going to make a stink out of fishing the EU could really harm them economically if they wanted to. I always considered Brexit was the brits going trumpish. without really looking at the consequences.

Reactions: Bill4411

"It's not hard to imagine Rightist Europe and Liberal America soon becoming the two poles of British political conflict."

I see it more as the new political faultlines in politics is postmodern green Progressivism ("Woke") vs national conservatism ("populism") both are social and economic statist and dirigist.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Even today, the Channel Islands retain some quirks from feudal days. A thousand year old law allows anyone who feels he is being wronged to stop the supposedly wrongful act by reciting the Lord's Prayer in Norman French, and yelling out "Haro! Haro! Haro! A l’aide mon Prince. On me fait tort!" which roughly translates to "Hear me! Hear me! Hear me! Come to my aid, my Prince. I am being wronged!" The other party must immediately stop what he is doing while the party claiming wrong has 24 hours to file a claim in court. It is called the "Clameur de Haro," and was last used in Guernsey in 2018 by a woman protesting the narrowing of a road.
There may be a modern-day equivalent in fiction:
914e94ba1db504e6ef6a624223c07205.jpg

"It's not hard to imagine Rightist Europe and Liberal America soon becoming the two poles of British political conflict."

I see it more as the new political faultlines in politics is postmodern green Progressivism ("Woke") vs national conservatism ("populism") both are social and economic statist and dirigist.

Whoodathunk the French and U.S. seem to be moving in the right and wrong way, respectively, for the first time in 200 years.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Whoodathunk the French and U.S. seem to be moving in the right and wrong way, respectively, for the first time in 200 years.
We've seen this "correction" other places. Like Poland and Hungary.
A lot of people don't understand that the Catholic Integralism of Poland and Hungary is a reaction to the incessant Progressive Integralism since the 1970s in the West. On steroids since 2010 (nationalism=racism, not being a universal humanist or globalist=fascist)

based on what
Always insisting that the country is moving in the wrong direction / going downhill.

When a left leaning person offers up opinions on how the USA can be improved, a common refrain is something along the lines of "if you hate it so much, why don't you just leave"

Reactions: sglowrider
Always insisting that the country is moving in the wrong direction / going downhill.

When a left leaning person offers up opinions on how the USA can be improved, a common refrain is something along the lines of "if you hate it so much, why don't you just leave"

Are you suggesting that a country with a massive population issue, part of which is directly related to liberalism, is going in the right direction given the economic malaise that has been/is plaguing Europe, Japan, etc.?

I'm sorry that facts aren't part of your vocabulary, Mr. "there is no way there was a lab leak, but we have no idea where the Chinavirus came from because my leaders enjoy being responsible for millions of deaths"

Sing it with me...

I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free.
We sent home the orange turd, and that's all right by me...

And I have always argued that a lab leak was one extremely plausible scenario, just not an engineered intentional bioweapon leak, as insisted on by many many kooks, possibly including you...

Sing it with me...

I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free.
We sent home the orange turd, and that's all right by me...

And I have always argued that a lab leak was one extremely plausible scenario, just not an engineered intentional bioweapon leak, as insisted on by many many kooks, possibly including you...

changing your story again, much like you claimed to be a Republican yet are left of the Squad of late

I was a Mayor Pete supporter, about as far from the squad as you can get on the left side of the aisle in 2020, after I inched my way over from the right side of the aisle in 2016, after 36 years as a GOP voter.

Did you locate Holstein?

Reactions: UncleMark

Its very infantile. Arrested development. Suppose to be a forum and yet... imagine doing this level of analysis at work!! :rolleyes:
Embarassing.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT