ADVERTISEMENT

The MLB draft starts tomorrow and will run through Weds...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
I know as far as our incoming recruits are concerned, that scouts have been looking closely at Edgewood's Ethan Vecrumba (RHP/OF) and have attended several of his games. That's the only player I know for sure they are looking at and I assume we will have others being drafted since it goes 40 rounds. The draft ends Weds. I have no ties to the Edgewood program or the school. It's just that I read a feature article on Vecrumba the other day.

Well, speaking of the incoming guys from HS.....I really think there is going to be more of a trend of more guys going to play college ball. I think NCAA baseball is going to keep getting bigger and you will see more schools spend more money on facilities and invest more into it overall. Compare that to a single A farm team, with jack for facilities.....seems like a no-brainer to me....unless, of course, you are a high draft pick and guaranteed some good cash. (And any cash at all is tempting for an 18-year-old kid, I know.)

But looking at IU's team. I don't think we are going to get many drafted. Gorski, obviously, but I can't see him going all that high....at least not as high as he was projected before the season. (I mean, the guy hit .271 this year.) For the seniors who didn't get drafted last year, they really needed to have a great year. Obviously, Fineman won't batting .218 (despite his injuries). Lloyd? I bet he does with his increased power numbers. Pitching-wise, I'm sure Saalfrank will go and I've heard Gordon's name mentioned. But I've been unimpressed with him, at least his results. Overall ERA ends up at 3.81, not bad but hardly stellar enough to go pro. (Yeah, I know they don't just look at that. But tell me someone whose ERA goes down from college ball to minors?) And Milto....if he didn't get drafted with an ERA of 2.03, 66 K's in almost 80 innings, he certainly won't with an ERA of 3.95, 100K/107IP. I feel bad for them, especially for Milto and Fineman; captains and two quality. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I don't see it. But if they had great years, we probably wouldn't have ended the way we did.

Just such a disappointing end to an otherwise good year. Going 1-4 in the post-season....I think that kind of is a result of what a lot of us have said all year. We just don't have clutch guys. And that's what you have to have to advance in the postseason. Let's hope Mercer can find them for next year.

Reactions: ptrich and 82IU
I really hope we can get all of the non seniors back for next year, including Bradley and Kaletha and I know that is selfish on my part. I want them to come back and finish what they started this year. We could have a very potent lineup if we get Gorski and Saalfrank to play their senior season back at the Bart. We will definitely miss Lloyd, Milto and Fineman, especially Fineman for his defense behind home plate. I hope Hunter Combs, the JUCO catcher, will be the real deal and take over where Fineman left off.
I would like to see more disciplined hitting next year. The homeruns are great but we had way too many rally killing innings just trying to swing for the fences. I also hope that we can get a better version of Krueger and Beauchamp for the pitching staff next year, we will need them. Disappointed a little, but still excited to see what this program can do going forward.

Reactions: ptrich
I really hope we can get all of the non seniors back for next year, including Bradley and Kaletha and I know that is selfish on my part. I want them to come back and finish what they started this year. We could have a very potent lineup if we get Gorski and Saalfrank to play their senior season back at the Bart. We will definitely miss Lloyd, Milto and Fineman, especially Fineman for his defense behind home plate. I hope Hunter Combs, the JUCO catcher, will be the real deal and take over where Fineman left off.
I would like to see more disciplined hitting next year. The homeruns are great but we had way too many rally killing innings just trying to swing for the fences. I also hope that we can get a better version of Krueger and Beauchamp for the pitching staff next year, we will need them. Disappointed a little, but still excited to see what this program can do going forward.

Beauchamp is no longer listed on the roster....he's had some issues.

Krueger has been hurt....how seriously? No ones talking.

I really like what I've read about Coombs, the JUCO catcher. He seems like the probable starter next year; however, I think the coaches also like Jeff Holtz, the big true freshman from Wisconsin. He was also hurt this year, but I don't know the nature of the injury.

I hope Gordan stays, because everybody assumes Saalfrank is gone. If both are gone, who knows who would be the starters next year....lots of possibilities, but not much proven---Franklin; A Long; B Scott; T Sommer; C. Manous: B Tucker; Gabe Bierman; G Sloan; McCade Brown....Matt Lutwicki, coming off injury, didn't show much this year. Freshman M Dunkelberger RSed.

We don't lose a lot of position players, but if Katleha can't/doesn't come back, or come back full strength, I don't know who will play that OF position. Sam Crail hasn't impressed. Van Pelt played a little early on, but has no power. One guy who had a lesser role this Spring than some expected was Jake Skrine.....coming off fall ball he had a reputation as a hitter. He is listed as an infielder though (3rd?), and Cole Barr looks like a fixture at 3rd and I doubt JK has the speed to play in the OF.

edit-----As far as the in-coming freshman class.....I think it's a little down compared to past years, due to the coaching change. 2 guys I'd like to see are Vecrumba (if not drafted) and Joe Wilkinson (New Albany) as potential OFs.....maybe Reese Sharp as a pitcher??

I really like what I've read about Coombs, the JUCO catcher. He seems like the probable starter next year; however, I think the coaches also like Jeff Holtz, the big true freshman from Wisconsin. He was also hurt this year, but I don't know the nature of the injury.

I hope Gordan stays, because everybody assumes Saalfrank is gone. If both are gone, who knows who would be the starters next year....lots of possibilities, but not much proven---Franklin; A Long; B Scott; T Sommer; C. Manous: B Tucker; Gabe Bierman; G Sloan; McCade Brown....Matt Lutwicki, coming off injury, didn't show much this year. Freshman M Dunkelberger RSed.

We don't lose a lot of position players, but if Katleha can't/doesn't come back, or come back full strength, I don't know who will play that OF position. Sam Crail hasn't impressed. Van Pelt played a little early on, but has no power. One guy who had a lesser role this Spring than some expected was Jake Skrine.....coming off fall ball he had a reputation as a hitter. He is listed as an infielder though (3rd?), and Cole Barr looks like a fixture at 3rd and I doubt JK has the speed to play in the OF.

edit-----As far as the in-coming freshman class.....I think it's a little down compared to past years, due to the coaching change. 2 guys I'd like to see are Vecrumba (if not drafted) and Joe Wilkinson (New Albany) as potential OFs.....maybe Reese Sharp as a pitcher??
Vercrumba should be a day 1 starter in OF with Dunham and Richardson. Vercrumba is fast and physical. We will see where he’s drafted first.

This draft could decimate the team for the 2020 season, the mlb draft tracker shows many additional key players as eligible for this year’s draft including 2019 contributors Dunham, Barr, Manous, Houston, & Sloan in addition to Saalfrank and Gordon. I didn’t specifically search but I assume Combs is also eligible. Losing any of these guys would hurt. As it is we have no one currently on the roster who has caught an inning. IMO Fineman’s career suffered because of all the innings he had to be behind the plate. The addition of Cross, who was one of the highest rated high school prospects we have had, looked promising but didn’t really provide much relief for Fineman these last two years, nor did Matheny before him.

Anxious to see how the draft plays out and what summer league participation we have. I scanned Cape Cod league initial rosters and so far I haven’t found anyone from IU, and IMO Dunham would be a fit in that league. Sadly there are a number Hoosier natives from the 17 & 18 classes listed but from other schools, often U of L. We need to do a better job with Indiana kids than we have in the past!

This draft could decimate the team for the 2020 season, the mlb draft tracker shows many additional key players as eligible for this year’s draft including 2019 contributors Dunham, Barr, Manous, Houston, & Sloan in addition to Saalfrank and Gordon. I didn’t specifically search but I assume Combs is also eligible. Losing any of these guys would hurt. As it is we have no one currently on the roster who has caught an inning. IMO Fineman’s career suffered because of all the innings he had to be behind the plate. The addition of Cross, who was one of the highest rated high school prospects we have had, looked promising but didn’t really provide much relief for Fineman these last two years, nor did Matheny before him.

Anxious to see how the draft plays out and what summer league participation we have. I scanned Cape Cod league initial rosters and so far I haven’t found anyone from IU, and IMO Dunham would be a fit in that league. Sadly there are a number Hoosier natives from the 17 & 18 classes listed but from other schools, often U of L. We need to do a better job with Indiana kids than we have in the past!

I have no personal knowledge but I'd be very surprised if anyone other than Saalfrank, Gordon, Gorski, and the seniors leave for the pros. Barr has potential but will have to show he can cut down on his strikes and be more consistent in the field. Durham has to show more HR power to be attractive with his size & speed. Maneous, Houston & Sloan just haven't shown enough. Coombs had a solid JUCO season, but I wouldn't call him a dominant player....he's not really a power guy.

Lloyd taken in the 15th.....good for him, to get a shot. And to my Cincinnati Reds!! Bonus for me....

ADVERTISEMENT