ADVERTISEMENT

The MLB draft is July 11-13.....

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
Needless to say, schools will have a better idea of where they are headed in the off-season after the draft if over with and we know which players/recruits are going to be with us next season. I haven't paid too much attention just yet to the mock drafts that are out there, but I did see a couple of them. One had Colson Montgomery, a top recruit if not our top recruit, going #22 in the 1st round to the White Sox. Another mock draft I saw didn't have Montgomery in their first five rounds, but did have McCade Brown going in the 3rd round as the 70th pick to the Mets. Those were the only players associated with IU that I saw that were high up in those two mock drafts.

Last edited:
In this mock draft at cbssports.com which came out on June 25th, IU recruit Colson Montgomery goes to the Mets as the 10th pick of the 1st round. If he goes at that spot, he would be looking at a signing bonus of just over $4.7 million. Of the various mock drafts I've seen, I doubt we will see Colson in an IU uniform, but that's how is goes in college baseball with many schools losing recruits to the majors every year. I might add that you have to scroll down on this article as the article combines the mock draft with comments on the sticky-stuff crackdown on baseballs which is what you get when you first click the link.

In this mock draft at cbssports.com which came out on June 25th, IU recruit Colson Montgomery goes to the Mets as the 10th pick of the 1st round. If he goes at that spot, he would be looking at a signing bonus of just over $4.7 million. Of the various mock drafts I've seen, I doubt we will see Colson in an IU uniform, but that's how is goes in college baseball with many schools losing recruits to the majors every year. I might add that you have to scroll down on this article as the article combines the mock draft with comments on the sticky-stuff crackdown on baseballs which is what you get when you first click the link.

I'd love to see Colson in Bloomington, but it just isn't in the cards. Kid is a bonafide 3-sport stud. Exactly what we need in the middle of the lineup and at SS. Too bad. And if Brown gets drafted, I hope he gets a really good pitching coach to work on his mechanics. He seemed to regress as the season went on and got way to wild in his last handful of starts (43 walks in 61 innings is asking for trouble). His 97 K's might be enough to get a team motivated though.

Richardson will surely get drafted. Maybe Barr? Toetz transferring? What's the rest of the roster going to look like? This is easily Coach Mercer's most important off-season to date.

Reactions: ptrich
I'd love to see Colson in Bloomington, but it just isn't in the cards. Kid is a bonafide 3-sport stud. Exactly what we need in the middle of the lineup and at SS. Too bad. And if Brown gets drafted, I hope he gets a really good pitching coach to work on his mechanics. He seemed to regress as the season went on and got way to wild in his last handful of starts (43 walks in 61 innings is asking for trouble). His 97 K's might be enough to get a team motivated though.

Richardson will surely get drafted. Maybe Barr? Toetz transferring? What's the rest of the roster going to look like? This is easily Coach Mercer's most important off-season to date.
I would expect Brown, Richardson, and Barr to get drafted. Montgomery is going to command all of slot value money or more.

Reactions: mk23 and ptrich
The odds seem to say that Colson Montgomery will go high in the draft so if he still ends up at IU for the college experience is still a huge question mark. I just saw the numbers on another IU recruit, Luke Hayden, who could end up being drafted high enough that we could lose him, but we have a better chance of hanging on to than Montgomery. Hayden's numbers this season at 3A Edgewood are as follows:

As a pitcher, he went 7-2 with an 0.78 ERA, giving up just seven earned runs (five came in one game), striking out 143 and walking just 22 in 62 2/3 innings. He tossed three no-hitters. He never fanned fewer than 11 hitters in any start with games of 19 and 18 (twice) strikeouts. He also batted .494 (39-for-79) with six doubles, a triple, seven homers and 30 RBIs. He scored 22 runs and walked 18 times. His on-base percentage was .604 with a slugging percentage of .861.

He was recruited to IU as a pitcher, but if he can come close to hitting like that at IU, maybe he could be used in a pinch hitting role or be used much like Matt Lloyd was used as an all-purpose player. It's high school baseball, so who knows how his game will equate to college ball. I haven't really been looking at the various recruits that IU has coming in unless I just happen to come across information like I did with Hayden, so maybe there are others out there that had stellar senior seasons.

Reactions: ulrey
The odds seem to say that Colson Montgomery will go high in the draft so if he still ends up at IU for the college experience is still a huge question mark. I just saw the numbers on another IU recruit, Luke Hayden, who could end up being drafted high enough that we could lose him, but we have a better chance of hanging on to than Montgomery. Hayden's numbers this season at 3A Edgewood are as follows:

As a pitcher, he went 7-2 with an 0.78 ERA, giving up just seven earned runs (five came in one game), striking out 143 and walking just 22 in 62 2/3 innings. He tossed three no-hitters. He never fanned fewer than 11 hitters in any start with games of 19 and 18 (twice) strikeouts. He also batted .494 (39-for-79) with six doubles, a triple, seven homers and 30 RBIs. He scored 22 runs and walked 18 times. His on-base percentage was .604 with a slugging percentage of .861.

He was recruited to IU as a pitcher, but if he can come close to hitting like that at IU, maybe he could be used in a pinch hitting role or be used much like Matt Lloyd was used as an all-purpose player. It's high school baseball, so who knows how his game will equate to college ball. I haven't really been looking at the various recruits that IU has coming in unless I just happen to come across information like I did with Hayden, so maybe there are others out there that had stellar senior seasons.
His future is on the mound

One recruit not getting much mention is Carter Mathison, was named PBR Indiana player of the year. At FW Homestead he had a monster year, .515 BA, 16 HR, 12 2B, 6 3B, 53 RBI, 25 BB, 1.242 SLG, 18 SB. Pretty impressive in 4a.

Mathison is ranked 234th in the draft by MLB.com and like Hayden, could end up going pro. Another thing on Hayden is that I saw that his fast ball reaches 95 mph, and given his numbers, he had good control.

Mathison is ranked 234th in the draft by MLB.com and like Hayden, could end up going pro. Another thing on Hayden is that I saw that his fast ball reaches 95 mph, and given his numbers, he had good control.
Control is a knock on Hayden. The fastball is legit, and the breaking stuff is legit too. He doesn’t throw the secondary stuff for strikes often, and sometimes looses fastball command. At the next level good hitters lay off that, and if you can’t find the zone with the secondary stuff, hitters start to key on the fastball no matter the velocity. Unless he’s facing a 500k to 7 figure signing bonus, he should go work on that in college.

Control is a knock on Hayden. The fastball is legit, and the breaking stuff is legit too. He doesn’t throw the secondary stuff for strikes often, and sometimes looses fastball command. At the next level good hitters lay off that, and if you can’t find the zone with the secondary stuff, hitters start to key on the fastball no matter the velocity. Unless he’s facing a 500k to 7 figure signing bonus, he should go work on that in college.
Obviously, you have seen the kid, so your evaluation is helpful to the rest of us. I was going by just the numbers I've seen since I've never seen the kid or any other recruit for that matter that is coming in. The numbers didn't seem to indicate that bad of a control problem since they indicated he walked 22 in almost 63 innings. Stats are capable of lying, so it's always helpful to have someone who knows the player.

Obviously, you have seen the kid, so your evaluation is helpful to the rest of us. I was going by just the numbers I've seen since I've never seen the kid or any other recruit for that matter that is coming in. The numbers didn't seem to indicate that bad of a control problem since they indicated he walked 22 in almost 63 innings. Stats are capable of lying, so it's always helpful to have someone who knows the player.
Numbers tell a part of the story, the numbers are dominating in class 2a, which is not saying too much. The kid has good stuff, but he projects to be a mid relief/backend of the bullpen guy right now. Pitchability is something often talked about when referring to starters that he doesn’t possess at the moment. He can work on that in college or in the minors, and I am always going to advise they do that in college (unless you’re facing 7 figure money). Too many instances of HS kids not having success in the minors to point too (for various reasons), look at former signee Skylar Szynski. Start you education clock, you can always go back and finish.

Reactions: ulrey and ptrich
CBSsports.com released their final mock draft with the draft starting this evening and they still have Colson Montgomery going to the Mets with the 10th overall pick. I saw that there have been only three players that did not sign that were taken in the first round in the last five drafts. All first round picks in the last two drafts signed, which is not the least bit surprising given the signing bonus money given out in present-day baseball.

• Sad
Reactions: mk23
Colson Montgomery went to the White Sox as the 22nd overall pick in the 1st. Signing bonus slot for that position is $3.03 million. As expected, we won't be seeing him in a Hoosier uniform.

• Sad
Colson Montgomery went to the White Sox as the 22nd overall pick in the 1st. Signing bonus slot for that position is $3.03 million. As expected, we won't be seeing him in a Hoosier uniform.
Rounds 2 through 10 will take place tomorrow starting at 2 p.m. (ET) with the draft finishing on Tues for rounds 11-20. So far, Montgomery is the only one affecting us through the end of the 1st and the supplemental picks of the 1st. He may be the only B1G recruit or player that went in the 1st. I know that no B1G players went, but I'm not familiar enough with the high school players to know if any other B1G school had a recruit that was selected so far, since I wasn't watching the draft.

As a Sox fan I am excited. Would have liked to have seen him play for the Hoosiers though. From what I have heard he was considering walking on to the basketball team before Archie was fired. Good 3 sport athlete.

As I post this, they are about midway through the 4th round. McCade Brown was chosen by the Rockies in the 3rd round with pick 79 and the slot signing bonus value of that pick is $780,400. As expected, the first B1G player to go was Spencer Schwellenbach of Nebraska who went with the 59th pick of the 2nd round. Nebraska's Povich also went in the 3rd round with the 98th pick. Michigan pitcher Steven Hajjar was also chosen high and went a couple of picks behind Schwellenbach. That's been it for the B1G so far.

They are in the latter part of the 8th round as I post this. Gabe Bierman was taken by the Mariners in the 7th with the 209th pick overall. The slot value of that pick is $214,900. Bierman was our most effective pitcher over the course of most of the season.

As I post this, they are about midway through the 4th round. McCade Brown was chosen by the Rockies in the 3rd round with pick 79 and the slot signing bonus value of that pick is $780,400. As expected, the first B1G player to go was Spencer Schwellenbach of Nebraska who went with the 59th pick of the 2nd round. Nebraska's Povich also went in the 3rd round with the 98th pick. Michigan pitcher Steven Hajjar was also chosen high and went a couple of picks behind Schwellenbach. That's been it for the B1G so far.
Who got Spencer?

In the final round of the day (10th round), IU had two players go in that round. Matt Litwicki was the 286th pick of the 10th going to the Red Sox with a slot value of $148,400. Tommy Sommer was the 305th pick of the 10th going to the White Sox with a slot value of $143,600. Rounds 11 to 20 will complete the draft tomorrow. IU has four players (all pitchers) and one recruit taken so far with Brown, Bierman, Litwicki, and Sommer all taken and recruit Colson Montgomery also taken. That leads the B1G through the first ten rounds.

In the final round of the day (10th round), IU had two players go in that round. Matt Litwicki was the 286th pick of the 10th going to the Red Sox with a slot value of $148,400. Tommy Sommer was the 305th pick of the 10th going to the White Sox with a slot value of $143,600. Rounds 11 to 20 will complete the draft tomorrow. IU has four players (all pitchers) and one recruit taken so far with Brown, Bierman, Litwicki, and Sommer all taken and recruit Colson Montgomery also taken. That leads the B1G through the first ten rounds.
TJ White in the 5th. Surprised Richardson hasn’t been selected. Barr too.

I know it’s not an exact science and every player’s family situation is different, but what round (or slot value) do kids usually decide to return to school?

They had another recruit taken in the 5th I think, TJ White from South Carolina. Needless to say, a team with that much draft talent tanked at the end of the season further raises a red flag.

They had another recruit taken in the 5th I think, TJ White from South Carolina. Needless to say, a team with that much draft talent tanked at the end of the season further raises a red flag.
You're both right, I totally missed on that one. Thanks.

TJ White in the 5th. Surprised Richardson hasn’t been selected. Barr too.

I know it’s not an exact science and every player’s family situation is different, but what round (or slot value) do kids usually decide to return to school?
I expect both of their names to be called tomorrow.

Yeah, we fell apart when we hit the difficult part of our schedule at the end. Our pitching wasn't bad over that period and that is where we are losing players in the draft. We were hurt over the latter part of the season with weak hitting and the lack of clutch hitting with runners in scoring position.

Yeah, we fell apart when we hit the difficult part of our schedule at the end. Our pitching wasn't bad over that period and that is where we are losing players in the draft. We were hurt over the latter part of the season with weak hitting and the lack of clutch hitting with runners in scoring position.
Mine is more feel for the game and personnel management. It’s seemed very off at times with the undefined roles of players in the backend for the pen, and the constant experimentation of position players and lineups. There was no real “flow” at times.

Reactions: mk23 and ptrich
D1 had us as high-ish at risk with big recruiting class. Up there with big sec and acc programs. Hayden, the Indiana PoY (forget his name) and one other high end hitter fro Ohio wee named and d1 prognosticated we would keep all three. So far they are correct let’s see how they do

Also anyone notice Barr is listed as twenty Hoosiers playing summer ball? Hedging bets? That list includes a few listed in transfer portal and excludes others who are playing summer ball (espalin is in one of the California leagues as an example but does show a decision school yet)

Cole Barr was taken in the 15th round by the Mariners as the 444th overall pick.

Grant Richardson was taken in the 17th round by the Yankees as the 513th overall pick.

Well, the 20th and final round is complete, so unless I overlooked someone and I think I didn't, we didn't have any more recruits selected outside of Montgomery and White. We had four pitchers selected along with two everyday position players in Barr and Richardson, which probably leads the B1G as far as numbers go.

Well, the 20th and final round is complete, so unless I overlooked someone and I think I didn't, we didn't have any more recruits selected outside of Montgomery and White. We had four pitchers selected along with two everyday position players in Barr and Richardson, which probably leads the B1G as far as numbers go.
IU led the B1G with six players taken in the draft to include our entire weekend rotation and our closer. Michigan, Nebraska, Northwestern, and Penn State each had three players selected. Illinois, Maryland, and Iowa had two players selected each, and MSU and Minnesota had one player selected. We also know that IU had two recruits taken who almost certainly will sign a pro contract. Outside of B1G champion Nebraska, who didn't lose a recruit to the draft, I don't know how the rest of the B1G fared with their recruits.

I saw an article at HTO on Luke Hayden that was pretty interesting and here are a couple of items from it:

Hayden's advisor made it clear the money had to be there for his client to go pro. Teams were interested, but not enough to take him much earlier than rounds 7-10, so the slot value of those picks wasn't going to be enough to persuade Hayden to leave IU.

Here's a couple of quotes from him about where he stood about possibly going pro:

"You're 18, so you're spending a year and a half in rookie ball, then you jump to low A for nine months, then to high A," Hayden said. "There's three years.

"In three years at IU, I can be a pick in the top two rounds and go straight to high A or AA because I've proven myself. I'd rather spend three years here developing myself with some of the best pitching coaches in the country."

IU led the B1G with six players taken in the draft to include our entire weekend rotation and our closer. Michigan, Nebraska, Northwestern, and Penn State each had three players selected. Illinois, Maryland, and Iowa had two players selected each, and MSU and Minnesota had one player selected. We also know that IU had two recruits taken who almost certainly will sign a pro contract. Outside of B1G champion Nebraska, who didn't lose a recruit to the draft, I don't know how the rest of the B1G fared with their recruits.

I saw an article at HTO on Luke Hayden that was pretty interesting and here are a couple of items from it:

Hayden's advisor made it clear the money had to be there for his client to go pro. Teams were interested, but not enough to take him much earlier than rounds 7-10, so the slot value of those picks wasn't going to be enough to persuade Hayden to leave IU.

Here's a couple of quotes from him about where he stood about possibly going pro:

"You're 18, so you're spending a year and a half in rookie ball, then you jump to low A for nine months, then to high A," Hayden said. "There's three years.

"In three years at IU, I can be a pick in the top two rounds and go straight to high A or AA because I've proven myself. I'd rather spend three years here developing myself with some of the best pitching coaches in the country."
I love that way of thinking and will cheer like crazy for this guy if/when he gets to Bloomington.

Thanks for the compliments, but I don't necessarily see myself as well-informed, and I certainly don't have anymore insight into the program than others on here. I just try to keep an eye out for things that I see that may be of interest to people on here, and what I see is not necessarily what is actually happening with the program. There are probably a couple of posters on here that are much closer to the IU baseball and I'm always looking forward for their inputs/insight on things.

Thanks for the compliments, but I don't necessarily see myself as well-informed, and I certainly don't have anymore insight into the program than others on here. I just try to keep an eye out for things that I see that may be of interest to people on here, and what I see is not necessarily what is actually happening with the program. There are probably a couple of posters on here that are much closer to the IU baseball and I'm always looking forward for their inputs/insight on things.
Well, as you know, this place can be pretty barren at times. A lot of times, actually. So your nuggets of wisdom are always appreciated. Connected or not, we need the discussions.

Well, as you know, this place can be pretty barren at times. A lot of times, actually. So your nuggets of wisdom are always appreciated. Connected or not, we need the discussions.
We're starting to hit a period where barren might be the perfect description of college baseball. Unlike college basketball and football, there's just not much information out there during the off-season when it comes to college baseball. We have players involved with summer ball and I have provided a link on that below. Another thing about Luke Hayden is that he will be joining Ethan Vecrumbra in the Northwoods League. They were teammates at Edgewood H.S.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT