ADVERTISEMENT

The madness of B1G scheduling.

oldcougar77

All-American
Apr 21, 2004
For the life of me, I can't figure out why the B1G thinks it's a good idea to play 9 games and play conference games in week one. All it does is damage your brand nationally and create disgruntled fanbases. Indiana, Northwestern, Minnesota, Nebraska, and Wisconsin are all saddled with losses right from the get-go that hurt the conference's bowl appeal and dampen their programs' enthusiasm.

I'm not whining because IU got beat (and looked like horseshit in the process). Had IU been better and won, Iowa would have been in the same situation we are in tonight. Either way, one program with high pre-season hopes was going to be put in a hole from a national ranking standpoint with the first week's polls. Same was true with Wisky/Penn State. It's stupid on the part of the conference, imo. Why would you want to pit two nationally ranked teams from your own conference against each other in week one, virtually guaranteeing that one or the other would crash in the polls ?

A conference that cared about its national reputation and fan bases would give all of its teams the opportunity to work out bugs and build a bit of hype the first two or three weeks. Give teams a chance to build interest and their records before pitting them against each other. Trust teams to schedule OOC games according to their own estimates of their best interests. If OSU feels good about a matchup with a national contender, let them do it. If others want to schedule the Little Sisters of the Poor to build confidence and answer internal questions, give them that option.

And for f$%k's sake, give all your schools a chance to go bowling by allowing them to all schedule seven home games and get four OOC wins if they need to Or schedule regional rivalries, or improve their national title/bowl resume's by scheduling up, or give a non-P5 in-state school a chance to play the major state school for a nice payday (and a shot at upset glory). Or get a break in the heat of conference play by playing a weaker opponent before a major rivalry game - instead of again fv$%ing over one school by giving its opponent a bye week before the two meet.

I don't mean for this to sound like sour grapes, but if it does, so what? Indiana and Iowa both deserved the opportunity to find out a little about their teams and knock some rust off before they had to meet head-to-head. Same with all conference schools who had to play an important conference game right off the bat.

The BIG used to open with a conference game before playing the non conference schedule all the time.
That's true. It also used to have ten teams and play only seven conference games. There were fewer bowls and therefore less pressure to make one. And occasionally, IU got the chance to avoid Michigan and/or Ohio State. Everybody else was pretty much on equal footing as far as being competitive against each other.

Today, who you have to play ( and where) in those crossover games is critical to your success. Especially if you're IU looking at OSU, PSU, and Michigan every year. Admittedly, a week one home game against Illinois or Rutgers wouldn't bother me at all.

That's true. It also used to have ten teams and play only seven conference games. There were fewer bowls and therefore less pressure to make one. And occasionally, IU got the chance to avoid Michigan and/or Ohio State. Everybody else was pretty much on equal footing as far as being competitive against each other.

Today, who you have to play ( and where) in those crossover games is critical to your success. Especially if you're IU looking at OSU, PSU, and Michigan every year. Admittedly, a week one home game against Illinois or Rutgers wouldn't bother me at all.
I don't remember ever missing out on Mich or Ohio St seemingly. When the conference schedule had 8 games in a 10 team league, it seemed like Iowa was off the schedule alot.

Reactions: vesuvius13
For the life of me, I can't figure out why the B1G thinks it's a good idea to play 9 games and play conference games in week one. All it does is damage your brand nationally and create disgruntled fanbases. Indiana, Northwestern, Minnesota, Nebraska, and Wisconsin are all saddled with losses right from the get-go that hurt the conference's bowl appeal and dampen their programs' enthusiasm.

I'm not whining because IU got beat (and looked like horseshit in the process). Had IU been better and won, Iowa would have been in the same situation we are in tonight. Either way, one program with high pre-season hopes was going to be put in a hole from a national ranking standpoint with the first week's polls. Same was true with Wisky/Penn State. It's stupid on the part of the conference, imo. Why would you want to pit two nationally ranked teams from your own conference against each other in week one, virtually guaranteeing that one or the other would crash in the polls ?

A conference that cared about its national reputation and fan bases would give all of its teams the opportunity to work out bugs and build a bit of hype the first two or three weeks. Give teams a chance to build interest and their records before pitting them against each other. Trust teams to schedule OOC games according to their own estimates of their best interests. If OSU feels good about a matchup with a national contender, let them do it. If others want to schedule the Little Sisters of the Poor to build confidence and answer internal questions, give them that option.

And for f$%k's sake, give all your schools a chance to go bowling by allowing them to all schedule seven home games and get four OOC wins if they need to Or schedule regional rivalries, or improve their national title/bowl resume's by scheduling up, or give a non-P5 in-state school a chance to play the major state school for a nice payday (and a shot at upset glory). Or get a break in the heat of conference play by playing a weaker opponent before a major rivalry game - instead of again fv$%ing over one school by giving its opponent a bye week before the two meet.

I don't mean for this to sound like sour grapes, but if it does, so what? Indiana and Iowa both deserved the opportunity to find out a little about their teams and knock some rust off before they had to meet head-to-head. Same with all conference schools who had to play an important conference game right off the bat.
Having really important games right out of the gate does bring the intensity. It is sports drama and I actually love it. It is what I really enjoy about college football. Every week means something as teams jockey for position and we get to see it during game one.
Miami is supposed to be a lot better this yr. Everybody was talking about how Alabama is not really the Alabama of old. Then Alabama shows up and shuts the lid on all that talk. Alabama's qb who is untested is too short play people were saying. What does he do? He throws 4 touchdowns and breaks a record held by Namath and Jones for the most TD's an Alabama qb threw in his first game as a starter. Then you have the slugfest last night with Clemson and Georgia. From the get go you have 3 vs 5. What drama!!!! I loved it.

What I don't get is why some BIG teams seem exempt from this BIG week 1 game. We open with Northwestern next year and OSU the next year. Give us a break and let us schedule a tune up game or two before hitting the Big schedule. Has Purdue or Michigan had to open the season in theBIG recently?

Having really important games right out of the gate does bring the intensity. It is sports drama and I actually love it. It is what I really enjoy about college football. Every week means something as teams jockey for position and we get to see it during game one.
Miami is supposed to be a lot better this yr. Everybody was talking about how Alabama is not really the Alabama of old. Then Alabama shows up and shuts the lid on all that talk. Alabama's qb who is untested is too short play people were saying. What does he do? He throws 4 touchdowns and breaks a record held by Namath and Jones for the most TD's an Alabama qb threw in his first game as a starter. Then you have the slugfest last night with Clemson and Georgia. From the get go you have 3 vs 5. What drama!!!! I loved it.
Clemson and Georgia aren't in the same conference. Neither are Alabama and Miami. That's the point. If a team has national playoff aspirations and wants to schedule another national power OOC in week one, I'm all for it. A conference dictating head-to-head matchups in week one is doing its own members a huge disservice - as is demanding nine conference games. Notice that the best football conference in America doesn't feel the need to do either.

I am an Iowa fan and agree 100 percent. I feel mostly relief after yesterday. Last season, Iowa finished 6-2 and on a 6-game winning streak but it never felt that great about the season after losing back-to-back games to freaking Purdue and Northwestern to start the season. Losing a conference game in the opener totally sucks.

What I don't get is why some BIG teams seem exempt from this BIG week 1 game. We open with Northwestern next year and OSU the next year. Give us a break and let us schedule a tune up game or two before hitting the Big schedule. Has Purdue or Michigan had to open the season in theBIG recently?
Iowa lost at Purdue in the first game of the season for each team last year. Purdue opens the season next year against Penn State. I agree with original poster though, I don't like Conference games as opening season games.

Last edited:

IMO Iowa versus Indiana in a packed stadium is a better game than any bowl game Indiana is going to be in. Iowa might be playing on January. The Hoosiers were not expected to win this game. As far as the bowl committees go a loss is a loss.

I’m awfully disappointed about yesterday’s stinker especially after waiting with great anticipation for more than eight months. But I’m thrilled that I’m not gonna have to watch the Hoosiers play mediocre opponents to possibly get it in a bowl game in the Bahamas.

Yes, Purdue started 2018 against Northwestern and 2020 against Iowa

I believe Purdue opened with Iowa last year.

Here is the other side of the coin. In past years. IU scheduled a bunch of weaker teams and cupcakes, and usually came out at 3-1 or sometimes 4-0. All that did was hide deficiencies and postpone the inevitable. Rather than recognize real problems and Coach them up, it allowed the Coaching Staff to put lipstick on a Pig for three weeks to get easy wins. Once We got to Conference Games and better competition Week to Week, We couldn't compete.

As distasteful as watching the Iowa Game was, you immediately know that you can't compete with good teams unless you adjust schemes, personnel, and attitude. You now have 3 Weeks to get this done before getting back to Conference Play.

So much whining going on right now you’d think we had to play at Alabama. There were plenty of big matchups outside the Big Ten. Some of you have gotten spoiled by the weak schedules we’ve played the last couple years.

We just laid an egg. It happens. The conference didn’t do that to us. We should want those kind of chances to win a big game. This will be a good lesson for us.

Reactions: Cap99
My first Hoosier game was watching Marcus Allen and USC roll into town. It was a great experience. Probably a lot more fun than watching the Hoosiers play William and Mary.

Iowa lost at Purdue in the first game of the season for each team last year. Purdue opens the season next year against Penn State. I agree with original poster though, I don't like Conference games as opening season games.

Cross-over games make more sense, if we are going have divisions. Moving back to 8 games, will Big Ten get rid of divisions?

With only 8 conference games, locking in 3 or 4 matchups and rotating the other 4 or 5 makes more sense IMO.

So IU locks in say Purdue, MSU, and Maryland every year. Then has 10 other B1G teams to rotate with 5 B1G games per year.

With only 8 conference games, locking in 3 or 4 matchups and rotating the other 4 or 5 makes more sense IMO.

So IU locks in say Purdue, MSU, and Maryland every year. Then has 10 other B1G teams to rotate with 5 B1G games per year.

One of the Big Ten writers for The Athletic has been outspoken on 3 locks and eliminating divisions for the 8 game schedule return.

because ohio state says so.

Here is the other side of the coin. In past years. IU scheduled a bunch of weaker teams and cupcakes, and usually came out at 3-1 or sometimes 4-0. All that did was hide deficiencies and postpone the inevitable. Rather than recognize real problems and Coach them up, it allowed the Coaching Staff to put lipstick on a Pig for three weeks to get easy wins. Once We got to Conference Games and better competition Week to Week, We couldn't compete.

As distasteful as watching the Iowa Game was, you immediately know that you can't compete with good teams unless you adjust schemes, personnel, and attitude. You now have 3 Weeks to get this done before getting back to Conference Play.
You make a good point. I believe, though, that the timeline for fixes is two weeks, not three (or four - - conference play resumes Oct 2). The Cincinnati game is our biggest OOC game in years - - a Top 10 opponent in a sold-out Memorial Stadium. If the team wants to flush the Iowa game and make a statement, Sep 18 in Bloomington is the time and place to do it. A win against the Bearcats would get us back in the national discussion and serve as a nice springboard for the OOC road game the following week and the Big Ten schedule that follows. A loss, on the other hand, means a 1-2 start and murmurs of "same old Indiana."

Reactions: vesuvius13 and td75
Purdue opened 2018 with Northwestern and opens 2022 with PSU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT