ADVERTISEMENT

The Ignorance of the Democrats and Left

There’s over 170,000 people dead. I just don’t get posts like this.

Understanding how the clusters of dead people are distributed helps. Unfortunately the information about that is difficult to find because such information tends to detract from the scary narrative.

Sorry man, any party who primaries and then turns to a reality TV buffoon as their leader loses all claims to be the 'intelligent' party.

Your political 'view' is now the overwhelming favored of the uneducated, the bigots, the white supremists, etc.

Does that not bother you or at least make you go hmmmmm.

As far as Covid, I would almost guarantee you that there would have been an actual national plan laid out and followed by the dumbass democrats. You know that thing that guides and helps unite the country on why we're taking the action that we are.

Instead we got a void of leadership filled with confusion, denial, multiple silver bullet miracle cures and a 'not my problem figure it out yourself' creedo...its been a complete clown show at the f factory.

We're still waiting for your covid plan that was promised a month ago, six months after the outbreak.

It looks like the republican plan is denial and prayer.

We're 4% of the population. We have the best health care in the world. We had the advantage of watching it from afar for a month as it tore through Europe and yet we have 25% of the deaths and our unemployment rate has tripled.

So yeah. Dumb.

That mostly my point. People manage their own risk to a large extent. Good information is more important that more rules and directives.

I see people in below zero weather wearing shorts. I don't get it,but if they want to and are willing to risk frost bite, who am I to say anything different.

But COVID is different, and I'll address two types of people. First are the people who view going to work (or school, or the movies) sick as a badge of honor. Because they can infect me, this isn't the same as wearing shorts in the winter. And I say this as a person who has gone to work sick in the past.

The second question involves masks. A large part of the mask protection involves the person with COVID wearing a mask. If Mr "I hate masks" only risked their own health, it too would be like the person wearing shorts. But we know they risk other people's health more than their own. Or, to a smaller extent, people who refuse to social distance. I called in an order at a restaurant Tuesday and went to pick it up. Their "ready in 10 minutes" took 25, so my getting there in 15 minutes (I knew 10 was optimistic) left me standing in the waiting room. There was a lady there who kept inching closer to me. Finally I would move to the other side to get away, and she would walk that way. She wouldn't talk to me or anything, she just kept coming within 2 feet of me. I have no idea why.

It would be great if people looked at things and said, 'I will voluntarily wear a mask, wash my hands, social distance". But what do we do if large numbers say, "screw that"?

I see people in below zero weather wearing shorts. I don't get it,but if they want to and are willing to risk frost bite, who am I to say anything different.

But COVID is different, and I'll address two types of people. First are the people who view going to work (or school, or the movies) sick as a badge of honor. Because they can infect me, this isn't the same as wearing shorts in the winter. And I say this as a person who has gone to work sick in the past.

The second question involves masks. A large part of the mask protection involves the person with COVID wearing a mask. If Mr "I hate masks" only risked their own health, it too would be like the person wearing shorts. But we know they risk other people's health more than their own. Or, to a smaller extent, people who refuse to social distance. I called in an order at a restaurant Tuesday and went to pick it up. Their "ready in 10 minutes" took 25, so my getting there in 15 minutes (I knew 10 was optimistic) left me standing in the waiting room. There was a lady there who kept inching closer to me. Finally I would move to the other side to get away, and she would walk that way. She wouldn't talk to me or anything, she just kept coming within 2 feet of me. I have no idea why.

It would be great if people looked at things and said, 'I will voluntarily wear a mask, wash my hands, social distance". But what do we do if large numbers say, "screw that"?
1. The whole "masks are for the benefit of others more than the wearer" has been repeated over and over. Those who refuse to acknowledge it are being willfully ignorant.
2. You must have caught that lady's eye.
3. Haven't you heard? Wearing masks is dumb because people wear them on bikes without helmets.

For those data-driven folks: Liberals and those who rely on social media for news (but that's redundant) are misinformed about Covid-19 risks to a stunning degree.

Some findings:

• On average, Americans believe that people aged 55 and older account for just over half of total COVID-19 deaths; the actual figure is 92%.
  • Americans believe that people aged 44 and younger account for about 30% of total deaths; the actual figure is 2.7%.
  • Americans overestimate the risk of death from COVID-19 for people aged 24 and younger by a factor of 50; and they think the risk for people aged 65 and older is half of what it actually is (40% vs 80%).
Partisanship is plays a significant role in misinformation.

• People who get their information predominantly from social media have the most erroneous and distorted perception of risk.
  • Those who identify as Democrats tend to mistakenly overstate the risk of death from COVID-19 for younger people much more than Republicans.

Implications:

From a public interest perspective, we believe the top priority should be better information and a less partisan, more fact-based public debate. It is shocking that six months into the pandemic so many people still ignore the basic mortality statistics, with perceived risk driven by political leanings rather than individual age and health. Misperceptions of risk distort both individual behavior and policy decisions.

The fact that a large share of the population overestimates the COVID-19 danger to the young will make a targeted public health response more difficult to agree on. We think it is also likely to delay the recovery, causing a deeper and prolonged recession. (My emphasis)
Some conclusions. The Democrats see a political advantage to the chaos and anxiety brought on by overstating the effects of the virus and obstructing any meaningful efforts at normalcy. So shut-downs and emphasis on cases and death counts, as well as deliberate misinformation, will last through election day.

Moreover, this isn't ignorance isn't just about covid. The Democrats overstate racism, climate change, economic troubles, and police misconduct because Democrats see political advantage in keeping people keyed up about these matters.

It's no wonder that as a whole conservatives and Republicans are less prone to anxiety and depression that are liberals and Democrats.
Moral of the story: Democrats and liberals should watch more Fox News.

facepalm-deja-q.jpg

no idea how this is partisan.

rather total and complete incompetence and malfeasance on the part of govt and the media and the healthcare industry.

the White House holds briefings every day, yet those facts are never given.

the media, both Dem and Pub, have a podium all day every day, with hour after hour of coverage all day every day, yet literally zero age based hard data ever, other than "it affects seniors more"..

i've been bitching for months here regarding the total and complete lack of hard data being given out, other than total positives and deaths, with occasional hospitalizations or ICU capacity.

even then, no age based data.

literally every day we should be getting hard numbers on tests, positives, hospitalizations, ICU admissions, deaths, all broken down by exact age yr, (not some 10 yr grouping), and sex and race info would help as well..

it's a national disgrace of both govt and media the near complete lack of relevant info we've been getting, to the point of looking more like deliberate malfeasance than incompetence..

this is the 10th time i've brought this up at least.

and even post infection lingering effects mentions are as totally vague as they can make them, with zero hard data.

i never made it partisan though, nor have i ever seen you or anyone else respond to the many posts on this exact subject i've made. (except for Zeke).

of course if it isn't partisan or racial, it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Well you got 45 posts in an hour.
I’m on record. I like him. I wish people as smart as him were helping to push a contain the spread narrative.
I’m not saying he isn’t. But, it seems he makes arguments against the idea on the reg.

facepalm-deja-q.jpg

rather total and complete incompetence and malfeasance on the part of govt and the media and the healthcare industry.

the media, both Dem and Pub, have a podium all day every day, with hour after hour of coverage all day every day, yet literally zero age based hard data ever, other than "it affects seniors more"..

i've been bitching for months here regarding the total and complete lack of hard data being given out, other than total positives and deaths, with occasional hospitalizations or ICU capacity.

literally every day we should be getting hard numbers on tests, positives, hospitalizations, ICU admissions, deaths, all broken down by exact age yr, (not some 10 yr grouping), and sex and race info would help as well..

it's a national disgrace of both govt and media the near complete lack of relevant info we've been getting, to the point of looking more like deliberate malfeasance than incompetence..

and even post infection lingering effects mentions are as totally vague as they can make them, with zero hard data.

i never made it partisan though, nor have i ever seen you or anyone else respond to the many posts on this exact subject i've made. (except for Zeke).

I’ve never really been an alarmist in my life until now. I look at people that play sports, David Price and others who are having heart problems that they may never get over and it’s pretty clear to me that this can happen to anybody.

Do you need a list?
Climate science
Pandemic response
Environmental protection
Biomedical research funding
Stem cell research
Evolution as a bedrock concept that everyone should understand

I can go on and on...

Please do. I'd like to see the whole list so I can respond.

facepalm-deja-q.jpg

i never made it partisan though, nor have i ever seen you or anyone else respond to the many posts on this exact subject i've made.

I actually agree with you on a majority of what you are saying.

I like that it's a plan based on data.

I'm unsure on how executional it is. I'm struggling on how you would effectively create two universes of those that believe one thing and those that don't.

I like that you would take advantage of those that aren't scared of it to help build immunity...but that would still probably overwhelm our hospital system and lead to mass death.

Plus people's opinions would be changing I'm guessing. If someone was a non believer than became a believer could they flip universes?

The youth herd immunity is complicated because they aren't separated from the vulnerable.

The separation works effectively on a farm...but those are barnyard animals and a small community.

Lastly there would probably be some liability concerns.

So yeah, I agree with you that separating the groups out based on the data is a very effective strategy....I think the actual execution is improbable.

So how would that work?

Our first line of defense is ourselves. But I agree, in a densely populated place, we depend on others for our safety. I haven’t biked in over 10 days now because of smoke in the air. That’s my choice. I don’t need government to tell me to stay indoors. I simply avoid every place where there is a lot of people. If I go to a store it’s always soon after opening. When I order takeout, I use curbside, or grab and go at the door. No movies. No public transportation. Essentially no travel until minimal infection rates. I’m thinking about what to do about skiing next season. Lots of decisions to make, but they are my decisions.

I definitely feel better with general mask wearing in the Denver area. But in Walden, close to where our cabin is, cases are still in single digits total. There is simply not much virus up there, I am not so concerned about masks. Saratoga Wy has an airport with many private jets and lots of travel because of world class trout fishing. I’m not as comfortable there.

I actually agree with you on a majority of what you are saying.

I like that it's a plan based on data.

I'm unsure on how executional it is. I'm struggling on how you would effectively create two universes of those that believe one thing and those that don't.

I like that you would take advantage of those that aren't scared of it to help build immunity...but that would still probably overwhelm our hospital system and lead to mass death.

Plus people's opinions would be changing I'm guessing. If someone was a non believer than became a believer could they flip universes?

The youth herd immunity is complicated because they aren't separated from the vulnerable.

The separation works effectively on a farm...but those are barnyard animals and a small community.

Lastly there would probably be some liability concerns.

So yeah, I agree with you that separating the groups out based on the data is a very effective strategy....I think the actual execution is improbable.

So how would that work?

besides responding to completely different post than the one i made here and you just quoted, you totally perverted and twisted literally everything i laid out in the one you did respond to.

WTF??

Our first line of defense is ourselves. But I agree, in a densely populated place, we depend on others for our safety. I haven’t biked in over 10 days now because of smoke in the air. That’s my choice. I don’t need government to tell me to stay indoors. I simply avoid every place where there is a lot of people. If I go to a store it’s always soon after opening. When I order takeout, I use curbside, or grab and go at the door. No movies. No public transportation. Essentially no travel until minimal infection rates. I’m thinking about what to do about skiing next season. Lots of decisions to make, but they are my decisions.

I definitely feel better with general mask wearing in the Denver area. But in Walden, close to where our cabin is, cases are still in single digits total. There is simply not much virus up there, I am not so concerned about masks. Saratoga Wy has an airport with many private jets and lots of travel because of world class trout fishing. I’m not as comfortable there.
I try to live my life through the lens of a potential spreader as opposed to a potential catcher. Just that one change in perspective makes a huge difference in attitude.

besides responding to completely different post than the one i made here and you just quoted, you totally perverted and twisted literally everything i laid out in the one you did respond to.

WTF??
I’m not sure you should fault him for reading your previous posts.

Reactions: hoosboot

WTF??

You claimed that you've posted over 10 times about your plan and no one replied so yeah, I tried to reply to what I understood to be your plan.

I guess I misunderstood it. Sorry man.

I try to live my life through the lens of a potential spreader as opposed to a potential catcher. Just that one change in perspective makes a huge difference in attitude.

I guess I’m the opposite. I’m pretty defensive whether I’m driving, riding a bike, or going outside in a pandemic. I’ve mentioned often about changing the gun control debate from the standpoint of a gun owner to the standpoint of a potential victim. When I buy produce, I always pick the ones at the top of the bin, or a layer down. I did that before Covid. There aren’t always bright lines. I willingly wear a mask whenever I am indoors in a building. Seldom outdoors.

It's rich to hear people, in a party whose leader embraces QAnon and their batshit crazy belief in pedophile cannibals who are hellbent on world domination, talk about being ignorant and uninformed.
It's rich to hear people, in a party whose leader embraces QAnon and their batshit crazy belief in pedophile cannibals who are hellbent on world domination, talk about being ignorant and uninformed.

Not to mention the irony that's so many Trump voters are convinced that this is all a hoax.

Reactions: largemouth
I guess I’m the opposite. I’m pretty defensive whether I’m driving, riding a bike, or going outside in a pandemic. I’ve mentioned often about changing the gun control debate from the standpoint of a gun owner to the standpoint of a potential victim. When I buy produce, I always pick the ones at the top of the bin, or a layer down. I did that before Covid. There aren’t always bright lines. I willingly wear a mask whenever I am indoors in a building. Seldom outdoors.
I guess we can have that totally different, unrelated argument if you want.

For those data-driven folks: Liberals and those who rely on social media for news (but that's redundant) are misinformed about Covid-19 risks to a stunning degree.

Some findings:

• On average, Americans believe that people aged 55 and older account for just over half of total COVID-19 deaths; the actual figure is 92%.
  • Americans believe that people aged 44 and younger account for about 30% of total deaths; the actual figure is 2.7%.
  • Americans overestimate the risk of death from COVID-19 for people aged 24 and younger by a factor of 50; and they think the risk for people aged 65 and older is half of what it actually is (40% vs 80%).
Partisanship is plays a significant role in misinformation.

• People who get their information predominantly from social media have the most erroneous and distorted perception of risk.
  • Those who identify as Democrats tend to mistakenly overstate the risk of death from COVID-19 for younger people much more than Republicans.

Implications:

From a public interest perspective, we believe the top priority should be better information and a less partisan, more fact-based public debate. It is shocking that six months into the pandemic so many people still ignore the basic mortality statistics, with perceived risk driven by political leanings rather than individual age and health. Misperceptions of risk distort both individual behavior and policy decisions.

The fact that a large share of the population overestimates the COVID-19 danger to the young will make a targeted public health response more difficult to agree on. We think it is also likely to delay the recovery, causing a deeper and prolonged recession. (My emphasis)
Some conclusions. The Democrats see a political advantage to the chaos and anxiety brought on by overstating the effects of the virus and obstructing any meaningful efforts at normalcy. So shut-downs and emphasis on cases and death counts, as well as deliberate misinformation, will last through election day.

Moreover, this isn't ignorance isn't just about covid. The Democrats overstate racism, climate change, economic troubles, and police misconduct because Democrats see political advantage in keeping people keyed up about these matters.

It's no wonder that as a whole conservatives and Republicans are less prone to anxiety and depression that are liberals and Democrats.
Moral of the story: Democrats and liberals should watch more Fox News.

Cool story, bro.

The weird thing about this Forum is that sooner or later, all threads turn out to be about me. The total inability to sustain a content-driven discussion says more about you than me.
Come on - your OP is essentially the textbook definition of trolling. This wasn't posted for board edification.

Reactions: UncleMark
Our response put the economy in shambles, not the virus.

Here's a pretty good argument suggesting that the lockdowns could be the most serious policy error of a generation.

And as far a economic shambles is concerned, comparatively speaking, we aren't doing too badly.
21961.jpeg
You mean LACK OF RESPONSE. Had we had a testing and contact tracing strategy in place, when there were just literally a few cases in Feb/March, then we wouldn't of had to do a complete shutdown.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/covid-19-coronavirus-pandemic-countries-response-1.5617898

Reactions: glmiu11
You mean LACK OF RESPONSE. Had we had a testing and contact tracing strategy in place, when there were just literally a few cases in Feb/March, then we wouldn't of had to do a complete shutdown.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/covid-19-coronavirus-pandemic-countries-response-1.5617898

No question testing was FUBARED early. I've commented on that often. A couple of things though. I don't think anything Trump did, or didn't do, caused that. Second, as things turned out, I don't think it made much difference.

Contact tracing, as I recall, is in place. But it quickly became overwhelmed.

Last edited:
No question testing was FUBARED early. I've commented on that often. A couple of things though. I don't think anything Trump did, or didn't do, caused that. Second, as things turned, I don't think it made much difference.

Contact tracing, as I recall, is in place. But it quickly became overwhelmed.
Come on. Trump bungled it. You can sit here and talk about which of the errors are and aren’t directly related to him all you want.
He hasn’t helped a damn thing...only caused further harm.
He knows his goose is cooked too. That’s why he’s trying to normalize stealing an election. Are you going to keep arguing for him when he does that too?

Reactions: cosmickid
Come on - your OP is essentially the textbook definition of trolling. This wasn't posted for board edification.

I intended to provoke people to read the link and discuss. Whether a post is trolling is 100% in the hands of the reader. I have often said I don't think I can be trolled. I have control of how I post.

I intended to provoke people to read the link and discuss. Whether a post is trolling is 100% in the hands of the reader. I have often said I don't think I can be trolled. I have control of how I post.
I asked a question on another thread which you knew was coming and then you posted a new thread you’ve been thinking about starting. That’s what it looks like to me.
I didn’t give much thought to the title. I don’t fall for stupid crap like that for the most part. Whether believing it or getting upset by it.

Reactions: UncleMark
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT