ADVERTISEMENT

The Ignorance of the Democrats and Left

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
For those data-driven folks: Liberals and those who rely on social media for news (but that's redundant) are misinformed about Covid-19 risks to a stunning degree.

Some findings:

• On average, Americans believe that people aged 55 and older account for just over half of total COVID-19 deaths; the actual figure is 92%.
  • Americans believe that people aged 44 and younger account for about 30% of total deaths; the actual figure is 2.7%.
  • Americans overestimate the risk of death from COVID-19 for people aged 24 and younger by a factor of 50; and they think the risk for people aged 65 and older is half of what it actually is (40% vs 80%).

Partisanship is plays a significant role in misinformation.

• People who get their information predominantly from social media have the most erroneous and distorted perception of risk.
  • Those who identify as Democrats tend to mistakenly overstate the risk of death from COVID-19 for younger people much more than Republicans.

Implications:

From a public interest perspective, we believe the top priority should be better information and a less partisan, more fact-based public debate. It is shocking that six months into the pandemic so many people still ignore the basic mortality statistics, with perceived risk driven by political leanings rather than individual age and health. Misperceptions of risk distort both individual behavior and policy decisions.

The fact that a large share of the population overestimates the COVID-19 danger to the young will make a targeted public health response more difficult to agree on. We think it is also likely to delay the recovery, causing a deeper and prolonged recession. (My emphasis)
Some conclusions. The Democrats see a political advantage to the chaos and anxiety brought on by overstating the effects of the virus and obstructing any meaningful efforts at normalcy. So shut-downs and emphasis on cases and death counts, as well as deliberate misinformation, will last through election day.

Moreover, this isn't ignorance isn't just about covid. The Democrats overstate racism, climate change, economic troubles, and police misconduct because Democrats see political advantage in keeping people keyed up about these matters.

It's no wonder that as a whole conservatives and Republicans are less prone to anxiety and depression that are liberals and Democrats.
Moral of the story: Democrats and liberals should watch more Fox News.

For those data-driven folks: Liberals and those who rely on social media for news (but that's redundant) are misinformed about Covid-19 risks to a stunning degree.

Some findings:

• On average, Americans believe that people aged 55 and older account for just over half of total COVID-19 deaths; the actual figure is 92%.
  • Americans believe that people aged 44 and younger account for about 30% of total deaths; the actual figure is 2.7%.
  • Americans overestimate the risk of death from COVID-19 for people aged 24 and younger by a factor of 50; and they think the risk for people aged 65 and older is half of what it actually is (40% vs 80%).
Partisanship is plays a significant role in misinformation.

• People who get their information predominantly from social media have the most erroneous and distorted perception of risk.
  • Those who identify as Democrats tend to mistakenly overstate the risk of death from COVID-19 for younger people much more than Republicans.

Implications:

From a public interest perspective, we believe the top priority should be better information and a less partisan, more fact-based public debate. It is shocking that six months into the pandemic so many people still ignore the basic mortality statistics, with perceived risk driven by political leanings rather than individual age and health. Misperceptions of risk distort both individual behavior and policy decisions.

The fact that a large share of the population overestimates the COVID-19 danger to the young will make a targeted public health response more difficult to agree on. We think it is also likely to delay the recovery, causing a deeper and prolonged recession. (My emphasis)
Some conclusions. The Democrats see a political advantage to the chaos and anxiety brought on by overstating the effects of the virus and obstructing any meaningful efforts at normalcy. So shut-downs and emphasis on cases and death counts, as well as deliberate misinformation, will last through election day.

Moreover, this isn't ignorance isn't just about covid. The Democrats overstate racism, climate change, economic troubles, and police misconduct because Democrats see political advantage in keeping people keyed up about these matters.

It's no wonder that as a whole conservatives and Republicans are less prone to anxiety and depression that are liberals and Democrats.
Moral of the story: Democrats and liberals should watch more Fox News.

And listen to Mr. Pillow. :rolleyes:

So it appears that people who identify as Democrats are overly cautious regarding Covid. Which means what? They wear a mask more often than necessary? Maybe they wash their hands for 30 seconds? Their behavior will not negatively impact others.

Now let’s look at those on the right who still believe this is largely a hoax. They refuse to wear a mask. They don’t social distance. They don’t follow government and health department rules. Their behavior gets others sick.

I guess I’ll take the nervous Nellies in this one.

It's rich to hear people, in a party whose leader embraces QAnon and their batshit crazy belief in pedophile cannibals who are hellbent on world domination, talk about being ignorant and uninformed.

Don't you claim to be a science guy? What a stoopid post.

So it appears that people who identify as Democrats are overly cautious regarding Covid. Which means what? They wear a mask more often than necessary? Maybe they wash their hands for 30 seconds? Their behavior will not negatively impact others.

If you read the link as saying Democrats are more cautous than Republicans, you would be misreading it.

Don't you claim to be a science guy? What a stoopid post.
I am, and neglect bordering on absolute disdain for science is the main factor that drove me away from a decades-long alignment with the Republican party. The GOP leader has Mr. Pillow advising him to ignore the NIH, FDA, and CDC, and just laps it up.

Now let’s look at those on the right who still believe this is largely a hoax. They refuse to wear a mask. They don’t social distance. They don’t follow government and health department rules. Their behavior gets others sick.

If you have data about this post it. I'd participate in such a discussion. You cant escape liberal ignorance by saying conservatives refuse to mask up.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
If you have data about this post it. I'd participate in such a discussion. You cant escape liberal ignorance by saying conservatives refuse to mask up.
Our economy is in shambles. There are other countries with a shot.
Our response has everything to do with it. And the democrats did not lead our response. It’s like trying to be a pacifist while people are punching you all day.

I found an artist's rendering of CO Hoosier typing out this post:

Internet-Troll.jpg

LOL. Yeah, if it doesn't kill you it's no big deal.
Exactly. I’m not willing to find out if my little girl or little boy are a %.

Edit: anyone who replies to this by saying “then don’t get in a car” either doesn’t get it or is trying not to.

Reactions: Digressions
Our economy is in shambles. There are other countries with a shot.
Our response has everything to do with it. And the democrats did not lead our response. It’s like trying to be a pacifist while people are punching you all day.

Our response put the economy in shambles, not the virus.

Here's a pretty good argument suggesting that the lockdowns could be the most serious policy error of a generation.

And as far a economic shambles is concerned, comparatively speaking, we aren't doing too badly.

21961.jpeg

So you got nuthin'. Figures.
I would have voted for Kasich, or maybe even another Republican, in 2016 if he had been nominated.

Republicans are not Trumpublicans.

Or maybe you haven't noticed who Kasich, the McCain family, the Bush family, Colin Powell, Mitt Romney, George Will, Ann Coulter, George Conway, and a host of other longtime GOP stalwarts support in the 2020 election

I would have voted for Kasich, or maybe even another Republican, in 2016 if he had been nominated.

Or maybe you haven't noticed who Kasich, the McCain family, the Bush family, Colin Powell, Mitt Romney, George Will, Ann Coulter, George Conway, and a host of other longtime GOP stalwarts support in the 2020 election

I'd vote for some of those in a heart beat. But I don't have that choice. I view politics as ideas. Others view politics as people. I like my view better.

Carry on.

I am, and neglect bordering on absolute disdain for science is the main factor that drove me away from a decades-long alignment with the Republican party. The GOP leader has Mr. Pillow advising him to ignore the NIH, FDA, and CDC, and just laps it up.

Which science? The gender science or the beginning of life? Or is only climate science the one people need to listen to?

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
I'd vote for some of those in a heart beat. But I don't have that choice. I view politics as ideas. Others view politics as people. I like my view better.
Carry on.
LOL, you have a choice to vote for the candidate whose ideas, intelligence, compassion, and common sense is more like that of Ed Whitcomb, Otis Bowen, Dick Lugar, Ronald Reagan, GW Bush, John McCain, Mitt Romney, etc. That would be Biden. You are just too stubborn to see it. Carry on, indeed.

Here's a pretty good argument suggesting that the lockdowns could be the most serious policy error of a generation.

And as far a economic shambles is concerned, comparatively speaking, we aren't doing too badly.

21961.jpeg
I’m a fan of tracking GDP as well. How about we track the acquisition of wealth and the shrinking middle class? How about the numbers of Covid cases and deaths?
And both our response and the virus have ruined the economy.

I want to see Michael Steele give it another shot.

Which science? The gender science or the beginning of life? Or is only climate science the one people need to listen to?
Do you need a list?
Climate science
Pandemic response
Environmental protection
Biomedical research funding
Stem cell research
Evolution as a bedrock concept that everyone should understand

I can go on and on...

The weird thing about this Forum is that sooner or later, all threads turn out to be about me. The total inability to sustain a content-driven discussion says more about you than me.
It's because you are the T.rump padawan of this forum. Like the IPOTUS, you strategy is keep yourself in the headlines by making totally bullshit claims.
In the gaslighting galaxy, T.rump is the Emperor and you are this board's Darth Nadir.

21961.jpeg

Do you really think restaurants, hotels, flights, Disney, cruise ships, movie theaters, would be all packed if we did nothing as a response? Much or most of the shamble was coming no matter what. Let's recall China had a draconian lockdown in the hardest hit province and is doing better both financially and in death rate. Of course Japan and China have a much longer history of accepting masks.

The UK tried to do nothing and go for herd immunity. So it has both a very high death count and terrible GDP numbers. Of the other countries doing worse than us economically, Spain's death rate is 2.72/million, France is .26, Italy is .12, Russia is .8, Canada is .11, and Mexico is a whopping 5.48. The US is 4.1. So we can state clearly that Mexico and Great Britain have done terrible. The question I don't have an answer for, how many deaths do we accept per point of GDP?

Source of deaths per million, https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/new-covid-deaths-per-million

Do you need a list?
Climate science
Pandemic response
Environmental protection
Biomedical research funding
Stem cell research
Evolution as a bedrock concept that everyone should understand

I can go on and on...

The bell curve is also science. Yes, you can find idiots and science deniers in any population. Let's start with the notion that science is settled. That is in and of itself not science.

Many on the left think the green new deal is science. Not.

Many on the left think that cops are racist is data driven science. Not.

Many on the left think that science says we can replace fossil fuel with renewables. Not.

The Democrats and the science told us that only fetal stem cells could allow Christopher Reeve to walk. Not.

I could go on. But the point is conservatives don't need a lecture from liberals about science.

Reactions: glmiu11
LOL, you have a choice to vote for the candidate whose ideas, intelligence, compassion, and common sense is more like that of Ed Whitcomb, Otis Bowen, Dick Lugar, Ronald Reagan, GW Bush, John McCain, Mitt Romney, etc. That would be Biden. You are just too stubborn to see it. Carry on, indeed.

There you go again. Talking about people instead of ideas. Take NATO. Germany has been reunified for 30 years, yet no administration has thought about moving the trip wire from the old West Germany. Trump moving troops east from Germany to Poland and into the Baltic states is the kind of idea I'm talking about. Biden probably couldn't find the Baltics on a map.

Were you the guy doubling down on no collusion and no obstruction for the past year? And do you still believe that’s a false Dem narrative?

The bell curve is also science. Yes, you can find idiots and science deniers in any population. Let's start with the notion that science is settled. That is in and of itself not science.

Many on the left think the green new deal is science. Not.

Many on the left think that cops are racist is data driven science. Not.

Many on the left think that science says we can replace fossil fuel with renewables. Not.

The Democrats and the science told us that only fetal stem cells could allow Christopher Reeve to walk. Not.

I could go on. But the point is conservatives don't need a lecture from liberals about science.
Man you’re good. You seem to make arguments to be correct, not arguments to come to the correct conclusion.
I’m sure you were a great mock trial teacher.

Do you really think restaurants, hotels, flights, Disney, cruise ships, movie theaters, would be all packed if we did nothing as a response? Much or most of the shamble was coming no matter what. Let's recall China had a draconian lockdown in the hardest hit province and is doing better both financially and in death rate. Of course Japan and China have a much longer history of accepting masks.

The UK tried to do nothing and go for herd immunity. So it has both a very high death count and terrible GDP numbers. Of the other countries doing worse than us economically, Spain's death rate is 2.72/million, France is .26, Italy is .12, Russia is .8, Canada is .11, and Mexico is a whopping 5.48. The US is 4.1. So we can state clearly that Mexico and Great Britain have done terrible. The question I don't have an answer for, how many deaths do we accept per point of GDP?

Source of deaths per million, https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/new-covid-deaths-per-million

That mostly my point. People manage their own risk to a large extent. Good information is more important that more rules and directives.

Man you’re good. You seem to make arguments to be correct, not arguments to come to the correct conclusion.
I’m sure you were a great mock trial teacher.

I enjoy attacking conventional wisdom, paradigms and “givens” that I think are wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT