ADVERTISEMENT

The Hypocrisy Of Americans

StelioKantos

Junior
Jan 28, 2013
343bbe05a4d07d2af7e6fc50a0fee18d.jpg

I remember this being on people’s lips during the time of the Patriot Act. I was young but at the time I remember it to be mostly those on the left spouting this phrase.

I saw a photo today of a protest, people in ‘Merica shirts, one holding a sign with this quote. Wonder what that redneck thought of the patriot act?

I don't think that ole Ben was thinking of the need to get his nails done or his hair dyed as being an "essential liberty"

I think that’s precisely what he was thinking about.

Those people have a right to ply their craft only upon due process and just cause be forced to stop

During the 1790s, repeated Yellow Fever epidemics struck the nation’s largest city, Philadelphia. The outbreaks were so severe that the federal government temporarily relocated away from Philadelphia, the federal government’s provisional capital, to escape the devastating epidemic.

The 1793 Philadelphia Yellow Fever epidemic was one of the worst in American history. Ultimately, the disease would claim 5,000 lives between August and November of 1793, forcing 20,000 to flee the crowded city of 50,000.

In May of 1796, Congress adopted the first federal quarantine law in response to a series of deadly yellow fever epidemics. The law, entitled “An Act Relative to Quarantine”, 1 Stat. 474, was adopted by the Third Congress and signed by George Washington without much controversy. The remarkably simple law consisted of a single paragraph:

. . . That the President of the United States be, and he is hereby authorized, to direct the revenue-officers and the officers commanding forts and revenue-cutters, to aid in the execution of quarantine and also in also in the execution of the health-laws of the states, respectively, in such manner as may to him appear necessary.

Thus, the founding fathers were NOT morons...

https://www.statutesandstories.com/blog_html/an-act-relative-to-quarantine/

During the 1790s, repeated Yellow Fever epidemics struck the nation’s largest city, Philadelphia. The outbreaks were so severe that the federal government temporarily relocated away from Philadelphia, the federal government’s provisional capital, to escape the devastating epidemic.

The 1793 Philadelphia Yellow Fever epidemic was one of the worst in American history. Ultimately, the disease would claim 5,000 lives between August and November of 1793, forcing 20,000 to flee the crowded city of 50,000.

In May of 1796, Congress adopted the first federal quarantine law in response to a series of deadly yellow fever epidemics. The law, entitled “An Act Relative to Quarantine”, 1 Stat. 474, was adopted by the Third Congress and signed by George Washington without much controversy. The remarkably simple law consisted of a single paragraph:

. . . That the President of the United States be, and he is hereby authorized, to direct the revenue-officers and the officers commanding forts and revenue-cutters, to aid in the execution of quarantine and also in also in the execution of the health-laws of the states, respectively, in such manner as may to him appear necessary.

Thus, the founding fathers were NOT morons...

https://www.statutesandstories.com/blog_html/an-act-relative-to-quarantine/

Interesting I was not aware of that.

Normally I never read long drawn out links or responses because I don’t have the attention span or time for anything other than smart ass quips etc.

I’ve got this book marked and will read after I leave the office tonight, thanks

Reactions: Digressions
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT