ADVERTISEMENT

The hype talk

CC Mac

All-Big Ten
Aug 19, 2002
I don’t understand all the ‘I can’t believe I fell for the hype again’ talk.
The ‘hype’ was put out there by national publications,messsage boards and fans,not the school.
Blame them,not Allen and the school.
You think for one minute ESPN is gonna do IU any favors lol.
Saturday sucked,no two ways about it but damn it was one game.
That was a tough match up to start a season after a year of no fans in the stands.
It’s an all together different vibe,we got down early and just couldn’t get it going.By seasons end Iowa could be a top ten team.
Penix hadn’t played a game in close to a year,he will get better.
It could be worse people,we could be a Purdue fan.
I’ve never seen a darker,more depressing stadium in my life.
Does a dark cloud hang over that place 24/7?
We don’t chant ‘Purdue sucks’ at a random game in early September.
Look at the big picture,we a not Alabama and never will be.
Look at the preseason polls and post season polls,they will be very different.
Washington was #20 last week and got beat at home by Montana,it’s gonna be ok,don’t jump ship just yet.

Last edited:
The ‘hype’ was put out there by national publications,messsage boards and fans,not the school.
That was a tough match up to start a season after a year of no fans in the stands.
It’s an all together different vibe,we got down early and just couldn’t get it going.By seasons end Iowa could be a top ten team.
Washington was #20 last week and got beat at home by Montana,it’s gonna be ok,don’t jump ship just yet.
Agree about who's responsible for the hype.

Nobody's jumping ship except those who were never really on it. It's a long season but, damn, that's not the way you want to start.

We need to win the next two - - convincingly this Saturday (i.e. by a large margin), and by any margin whatsoever on the 18th.

Agree about who's responsible for the hype.

Nobody's jumping ship except those who were never really on it. It's a long season but, damn, that's not the way you want to start.

We need to win the next two - - convincingly this Saturday (i.e. by a large margin), and by any margin whatsoever on the 18th.
Totally agree,I was as shocked and upset as anyone.

I wouldn't say Penix get's better..
He cant tuck and run at all..Or is scared to now. Due to all his injuries...
The guy is damaged good's..He's made of straw.

I did. We were down by 10 at the half and down 20-6 in the 3rd. We never showed up. It was embarrassing.

Bowl game wasn't great.
But the season, and I'm sure playing in empty road stadiums helped a bunch, was a good one, I thought. We were active. D was solid for once. O was efficient. We merely bent where before we would surely break in a few games.
For us, it was a really good season I thought.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Allen absolutely hyped this team up. The schools putting out hype videos before Iowa with him saying just how special this team could be. If that’s not hype I clearly don’t know what hype is!

Reactions: BayernFan
Allen absolutely hyped this team up. The schools putting out hype videos before Iowa with him saying just how special this team could be. If that’s not hype I clearly don’t know what hype is!
You know every school in the. IU try does this. The only successful that I have ever known to tell you how bad his team was is Lou Holtz. You know that one thing that CTA has been battling is culture. It seems like we are close to winning that battle although it took a major setback Saturday. The other thing that CTA always says says you have to have ear muffs and blindfolds.

I get that. But this is way more than a national hype thing. Every single person in that program from the fans all the way to Allen thought this could be the year (heck, I guess it could still be) The hype was real from inside and outside the program.

I get that. But this is way more than a national hype thing. Every single person in that program from the fans all the way to Allen thought this could be the year (heck, I guess it could still be) The hype was real from inside and outside the program.
It still can be a special year. Anyone who really thought that playing Iowa at Iowa was going to be a walk in the park was lying to themselves. Did you expect to be that bad though no way.

I did. We were down by 10 at the half and down 20-6 in the 3rd. We never showed up. It was embarrassing.
No, once again your hyperbole is way off. We showed up and tied it in the 4th only to lose in the last few minutes. Not showing up is what happened last Saturday. There is a difference despite your determination to conflate them.

But the grass field looks great and plays great.
Was coming up in chunks Sat night.

In Polo we have a tradition called "Divot Stomping" where patrons and staff go out and stomp down the chunks in the field while not spilling any wine.

Perhaps the PU students could go out at halftime and stomp some of that mess down while not spilling their Natty, Put some of your big gals on the toughest spots near mid field.

It still can be a special year. Anyone who really thought that playing Iowa at Iowa was going to be a walk in the park was lying to themselves. Did you expect to be that bad though no way.
That was a tough way to start but the offense was complete no show. Two pick 6 are not on the D and to be fair it appears the D got jobbed bit when iowa was awarded a first down in the red zone after IU had stopped them on fourth and short.

ADVERTISEMENT