ADVERTISEMENT

The Hoosiers went down fighting. Good for them....

Bligedy

Hall of Famer
Sep 7, 2001
Good season. Could it have been better? Sure. But almost everyone can say that.

I thought yesterday was their finest hour. They played their best ball on the last day of the season against top shelf competition and that's all you can ask.

Go Hoosiers.

Totally agree. Played tough against good teams in a challenging environment. Very proud of them.

That said, I still believe there was enough talent to advance. Just never did correct some glaring areas that required attention. That part hurts more than anything.

A little unlucky too. Need to be lucky and good. Yesterday they were just good.
As far as the luck goes, Texas can thank their lucky stars that the double in the 8th was of the ground rule type or we could have been advancing. It seems of late that when we get things going, and have a threat going with one out, that our opponents usually get a strikeout when they need it. We need more offensive production from the bottom of our lineup. Houston is a valuable player for us at short, but next season, he needs to a least get his average up to somewhere between .250 and .270.

Reactions: mobilehoosier
Big league play by the Texas 3B to throw out Sowers on the swinging bunt in the 8th. The dude had to pick it up cleanly and side arm from an off balance position. Not many guys make that play. Tip of the cap.

I don't believe Texas was the better team, these were two very evenly matched opponents. But that's the way it goes sometimes.

I still say we lead the nation in runners left on base. You have to put the ball in play in the critical spots. We didn't need a base hit just put the ball in play and we would have most likely scored in the ninth. Choke up and quit swinging from the heels. We left a lot of runs on the basepaths this year and we let our opponents get the better of us by being over aggressive. Sometimes very maddening.
Still had a heck season. A tip of the cap to team and coaches. Get em next year!
Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: mobilehoosier

I thought yesterday was their finest hour. They played their best ball on the last day of the season against top shelf competition and that's all you can ask.

Go Hoosiers.

I've followed this team closer than any previous IU baseball team, for personal reasons. I have a much greater appreciation and understanding of what these players put into the game and the sacrifices they make.....esp. being a northern team. It seems to me that college baseball must be one of the more demanding sports one could play in college.

I also give them props for the final 3 games of the tourney. They could have given up, but clearly didn't. They avoided an embarrassing ending.

That said, it was a disappointing season. They "won" the pre-conference season but "lost" the BT regular season, the BT tourney, and the NCAA tourney. By 'winning' and 'losing', I'm referring to reasonable expectations v. results. I don't think the coaches and players will look back on 2018 as a successful season.

I've followed this team closer than any previous IU baseball team, for personal reasons. I have a much greater appreciation and understanding of what these players put into the game and the sacrifices they make.....esp. being a northern team. It seems to me that college baseball must be one of the more demanding sports one could play in college.

I also give them props for the final 3 games of the tourney. They could have given up, but clearly didn't. They avoided an embarrassing ending.

That said, it was a disappointing season. They "won" the pre-conference season but "lost" the BT regular season, the BT tourney, and the NCAA tourney. By 'winning' and 'losing', I'm referring to reasonable expectations v. results. I don't think the coaches and players will look back on 2018 as a successful season.
It's good to hear that you expect the team and staff to not be satisfied with a 40 win season and to look at this as a missed opportunity. Those internal expectations are crucial for the continued building of the IU baseball program and brand, locally and nationally.

Team just seemed to lose a little juice, confidence, and swagger down the stretch. I really like what is being built. Since you do follow the program closely (and much closer than I do), is there anything that the administration could be doing to help the program build further? Are there any key facilities missing that other rival programs have to their advantage? Obviously, some of the powerhouses will have things we don't, but is there anything missing? I know that BKF is still relatively new, but I also seem to remember that some of the initial plans were curtailed a bit due to expense.

It's good to hear that you expect the team and staff to not be satisfied with a 40 win season and to look at this as a missed opportunity. Those internal expectations are crucial for the continued building of the IU baseball program and brand, locally and nationally.

Team just seemed to lose a little juice, confidence, and swagger down the stretch. I really like what is being built. Since you do follow the program closely (and much closer than I do), is there anything that the administration could be doing to help the program build further? Are there any key facilities missing that other rival programs have to their advantage? Obviously, some of the powerhouses will have things we don't, but is there anything missing? I know that BKF is still relatively new, but I also seem to remember that some of the initial plans were curtailed a bit due to expense.

There are little things that we bitch about occasionally.......I think generally that there's not a lot of marketing "drive" regarding baseball.....as an example, I'd like to see more outreach to try to get more Central & Southern Indiana middle school, high school, and travel teams to visit. I never see teams like that acknowledged at the games. Also, there are few students at the games......mostly older people and families. Those kinds of things require at least one highly energetic marketer....not sure he or she exists.

Biggest problem, by far, for IU and the other northern teams is that the season starts and ends.too soon, so the northern teams have to be on the road the first 30 days or so.........I was very interested in the Minnesota coach's idea that the north "succeed" and form a separate northern baseball league with a separate CWS. www.omaha.com/sports/cws/shatel-should-the-north-secede-gophers-coach-says-region-should/article_4d252136-c753-52dc-b9b7-790df556d846.html

If we could get the Pac 12 to sign up for that, we might have something going.............the northern teams don't have much to lose.

Last edited:
There are little things that we bitch about occasionally.......I think generally that there's not a lot of marketing "drive" regarding baseball.....as an example, I'd like to see more outreach to try to get more Central & Southern Indiana middle school, high school, and travel teams to visit. I never see teams like that acknowledged at the games. Also, there are few students at the games......mostly older people and families. Those kinds of things require at least one highly energetic marketer....not sure he or she exists.

Biggest problem, by far, for IU and the other northern teams is that the season starts and ends.too soon, so the northern teams have to be on the road the first 30 days or so.........I was very interested in the Minnesota coach's idea that the north "succeed" and form a separate northern baseball league with a separate CWS. www.omaha.com/sports/cws/shatel-should-the-north-secede-gophers-coach-says-region-should/article_4d252136-c753-52dc-b9b7-790df556d846.html

If we could get the Pac 12 to sign up for that, we might have something going.............the northern teams don't have much to lose.
That is a pretty interesting concept, because the playing field really isn't level for northern teams. Obviously, there are so many moving parts with something like that, but it's good discussion to have, because it is a fact that seemingly everyone acknowledges. Is there a reason, other than the typical school calendar, why the season couldn't start a month later? I wonder where this stops, because nearly the same principles apply to college golf, as well. Is there any way that the season could be split to fall and spring, like golf?

I'm not in a position to go to IU baseball games (live in Chicago), so it's interesting to hear about your marketing suggestions. It seems like they seek to appeal to the in-town crowd, sort of like a minor league team would, but the student thing is odd to hear. This has been one of the more successful programs at IU over the past several years, so I'm a bit surprised that the students haven't picked up on it. I guess it is a little bit of a walk to get there from the heart of campus, but it seems like the AD could run shuttles or something. Seems inexcusable to not seek the involvement of youth baseball in the area.

Those same teams you want to attend IU games are trying to play their own schedules, or in some cases, those teams haven't even formed until our season is close to half over.

I see younger teams with uniforms on in the stands all of the time. A few high schools during the week sometimes too.

I think the separate CWS idea is an awful one. No matter how good a team from the north might be, they'd never be viewed as a "real team" because they didn't compete against the SEC, ACC, BXII.

How did they ‘lose’ the NCAA with expectations v results when they were the 2 seed and lost by one run to the 1 seed at their place? That’s also finished just outside the top 16.

How did they ‘lose’ the NCAA with expectations v results when they were the 2 seed and lost by one run to the 1 seed at their place? That’s also finished just outside the top 16.

Wasn't my post, and not sure I agree they 'lost' but I think the results for the NCAAs would be viewed more positively had we:
  • forced a game 7
  • not gotten slaughtered in our opener and looked like we were outclassed by a similar opponent

Those same teams you want to attend IU games are trying to play their own schedules, or in some cases, those teams haven't even formed until our season is close to half over.

I see younger teams with uniforms on in the stands all of the time. A few high schools during the week sometimes too.

I think the separate CWS idea is an awful one. No matter how good a team from the north might be, they'd never be viewed as a "real team" because they didn't compete against the SEC, ACC, BXII.

I doubt that they actively reach out to HS, middle school, and travel team athletic directors. Do you know that they do, and the present situation is the result, or do you just enjoy being negative? Because I also go to the games and I don't see very many other than young children with their parents.

As to the north-south issue, they have to do something. The Vandy coach gets $2.3 M/yr. The coach of Indiana, the most talented northern team, gets $380,000. Minnesota lost 12 games this spring due to weather. Did you read the article? In the '60s & '70s BT baseball was competitive....Minnesota, OSU, & Michigan won some titles. In the late '70s/early '80s the schedules expanded by 15-20 games, and not much time was added at the end. The best solution would be to start the season 2 weeks later and end 2 weeks later....or reduce the season by 10 games.....these guys are students and don't need to be playing 60-65 games/season. The southern schools are refusing to compromise, and your solution is 'do nothing'.

I doubt that they actively reach out to HS, middle school, and travel team athletic directors. Do you know that they do, and the present situation is the result, or do you just enjoy being negative? Because I also go to the games and I don't see very many other than young children with their parents.

As to the north-south issue, they have to do something. The Vandy coach gets $2.3 M/yr. The coach of Indiana, the most talented northern team, gets $380,000. Minnesota lost 12 games this spring due to weather. Did you read the article? In the '60s & '70s BT baseball was competitive....Minnesota, OSU, & Michigan won some titles. In the late '70s/early '80s the schedules expanded by 15-20 games, and not much time was added at the end. The best solution would be to start the season 2 weeks later and end 2 weeks later....or reduce the season by 10 games.....these guys are students and don't need to be playing 60-65 games/season. The southern schools are refusing to compromise, and your solution is 'do nothing'.
This is a good point. The season seems like it starts absurdly early. Is there any way that, if the season were to start at the same time it does now, that a rule could be implemented where, until, say, March 1, no team can play at home? That would mean, at least, that all teams would be playing neutral site games during that period. Would that "resolve" anything?

I'm talking about expectations going into the year. This team was/should have been better than top 32. If you're talking about the team that limped into Austin, then yes the expectations by then were lower.

I know the expectations of the team members going into the year, and they weren't realized in terms of either conference or tourney results.

Wasn't my post, and not sure I agree they 'lost' but I think the results for the NCAAs would be viewed more positively had we:
  • forced a game 7
  • not gotten slaughtered in our opener and looked like we were outclassed by a similar opponent

Absolutely.....what was avoided by beating A & M and giving Texas a game was walking away with our tails between our legs. I won't minimize that because that would have been really, really bad for morale and recruiting....but it's not 'winning'.

This is a good point. The season seems like it starts absurdly early. Is there any way that, if the season were to start at the same time it does now, that a rule could be implemented where, until, say, March 1, no team can play at home? That would mean, at least, that all teams would be playing neutral site games during that period. Would that "resolve" anything?

Not really, because the southern/western teams would still have lots of options. South Carolina & Clemson could play at Myrtle Beach without much inconvenience. I think the SEC and ACC teams play in a lot of those tourneys now....

How about just shortening the season (and practice schedule) by 10 games? If you need those 10 games for development, play a 10 game exhibition schedule in the Fall v. what they do now. That way you could work the freshman in better.

Reactions: snowling
I'm talking about expectations going into the year. This team was/should have been better than top 32. If you're talking about the team that limped into Austin, then yes the expectations by then were lower.

I know the expectations of the team members going into the year, and they weren't realized in terms of either conference or tourney results.

Indiana University has won 13 games in NCAA Baseball Tournament.....ever.

This team won 2 of them. Had they beaten Texas they'd have won more NCAA games than any other team but 1.

Reactions: JARRODH

Believe me, it's not lost on me that you're the one calling me negative LOL

I don't know for a fact what they do, nor do I know what their limitations are with regard to high schools. Do you know for certain that they DON'T? Explain to me everything about their efforts to reach groups that you're CERTAIN about, as opposed to guessing.

I know the people who sit near me have a 13 year old who plays middle school and travel ball and they have to miss a ton of games because of his practice schedule and games.

What does Vandy paying $2.3million for Corbin have to do with the north vs. south argument?

I don't dispute that southern teams have an advantage. Many of them. Changing the calendar for the season will mitigate some of those, but not all. But I think that having a separate world series is akin to class sports in high school and is dumb. There would be very little prestige or notoriety attached to winning the 'other' world series.

A few things....
IU runs coaches clinics throughout the late summer and fall period and invites all HS and AAU coaches. This notion that they don’t reach out to local HS and AAU coaches is preposterous.

The ncaa would never allow a “north vs south”, the college baseball tournament is the 2nd highest revenue post season tournament the NCAA has, of course men’s basketball tournament #1. Moving the season back would not make the MLB happy, it kind of is what it is. If Northern teams want respect, go earn it.

This season is far from a disappointment. Are there internal goals that these guys didn’t reach and may be disappointed about, absolutely. 40 wins, tournament team and Regional finalist is not a bad consolation. Recruits want to play in those environments, but first you got to make it there. Consistency no other big10 team has seen the last 6 years. Disappointing you don’t reach a super, or CWS, sure. But the season a disappointment, absolutely not.

I love that we’re disappointed in no super or CWS but we are a program who expects NCAA and that is awesome. We’ve made so much progress I hope people keep our progress in perspective. Let’s reload and do it again next year. Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: CF77

Go Hoosiers.

Concerning the north-south issue......

From 1947 through 1969, the following 'northern' teams won the CWS: Holy Cross; Michigan; Missouri; Minnesota; Minnesota; Michigan; Minnesota; and OSU.

Around that time, the college baseball schedules expanded by app. 10-20 games. Since 1969, the following 'northern' schools have won the CWS: Wichita St.

The imbalance is such that for some of this year, as I recall, IU was the ONLY northern school ranked in the top 25.

If you read the story concerning Anderson, Minnesota's coach, who has been around 37 years, you will see that the southern & California schools haven given the northern schools only the middle finger salute when it comes to addressing the issue.

In light of these facts, several recent posters on this thread propose to do: absolutely nothing.

I will go with Anderson's proposals over that response.

From 1947 through 1969, the following 'northern' teams won the CWS: Holy Cross; Michigan; Missouri; Minnesota; Minnesota; Michigan; Minnesota; and OSU.

Around that time, the college baseball schedules expanded by app. 10-20 games. Since 1969, the following 'northern' schools have won the CWS: Wichita St.

The imbalance is such that for some of this year, as I recall, IU was the ONLY northern school ranked in the top 25.

If you read the story concerning Anderson, Minnesota's coach, who has been around 37 years, you will see that the southern & California schools haven given the northern schools only the middle finger salute when it comes to addressing the issue.

In light of these facts, several recent posters on this thread propose to do: absolutely nothing.

not trying to be argumentative, but I've been in Corvallis in the winter & early spring and its weather can get just as bad as Bloomington's--which didn't prevent Oregon State from going to the CWS multiple times and winning it all in 2006 and 2007.

on the other hand, I'm all in favor of "returning the favor" to the SEC and PAC schools that seem to always look for ways to screw the B1G--in just about every sport they can.

It would be 16-32, depending on where you slit them. Just saying it wasn’t way below where people had them coming into the season. And they ended up losing by 1 to the home team. Just saying it wasn’t an awful year. Take out that late season swoon and they may host a regional and get a different result. I know you can’t take that out though.

I don't propose doing nothing. That's a reading comprehension issue on your part.

I think a separate World Series sounds assanine. I don't dispute that.

Regarding getting people to the Bart... Did any of you go to the game at Purdue? It was a sunny, but chilly and windy mid-week night, and the place was packed. They offered $2 admission and $2 draft beer, and therefore a ton of Purdue students showed up and had a blast. IU can learn from that. The IU students were non-existent this season, and that’s a shame. Marketing needs to improve.

not trying to be argumentative, but I've been in Corvallis in the winter & early spring and its weather can get just as bad as Bloomington's--which didn't prevent Oregon State from going to the CWS multiple times and winning it all in 2006 and 2007.

on the other hand, I'm all in favor of "returning the favor" to the SEC and PAC schools that seem to always look for ways to screw the B1G--in just about every sport they can.

True, but you have to remember that "Bloomington is the southern-most Big 10" school".....the overall situation is so bad for other schools that that's our best recruiting line.

Realistically, its hard to imagine IU or any other Big Ten team being a consistent top 15 school nationally under the present arrangements.

According to the Minnesota coach, they've been talking about alternatives for years and nothing gets done. why would it, if you were the SEC or ACC? Someone's going to have to get out of line, or sincerely threaten to get out of line, for anything to happen.

Change the calendar slightly and/or reduce the number of games.....but I already don't like the imbalanced conference schedule, so I'd prefer just moving the season a week. Maybe the CWS takes place in the vicinity of 4th of July every year.

You sold me........now how do you get that done without a serious threat to do something else? Asking nicely hasn't worked.

Regarding getting people to the Bart... Did any of you go to the game at Purdue? It was a sunny, but chilly and windy mid-week night, and the place was packed. They offered $2 admission and $2 draft beer, and therefore a ton of Purdue students showed up and had a blast. IU can learn from that. The IU students were non-existent this season, and that’s a shame. Marketing needs to improve.

Thank you. Someone needs to market like their job's on the line.

That was the best attendance they have EVER EVER EVER had. I think we had 3-5 games with more attendance than that this year alone. Don't use an outlier game as an example of them doing something great and us doing something terrible.

There’s a better chance of getting a dome put on The Bart then alcohol sales starting up. Just not going to happen. As far as ticket prices go the students get free tickets and the staff gets free tickets +1. Attendance at The Bart is directly related to the weather. The interest in the community is there but not in wet or cold conditions. This year was awful for weather as I know a lot of you know. A good weather weekend can more than double the attendance compared to the cold and the wind. Not much you can do about it. I really do feel the interest in the community is there though.

Reactions: JARRODH
That was the best attendance they have EVER EVER EVER had. I think we had 3-5 games with more attendance than that this year alone. Don't use an outlier game as an example of them doing something great and us doing something terrible.

Cold temperatures certainly kept many fans away this season. Not much you can do there. But, IU had ONE game that rivaled the attendance of the Purdue game, that being fireworks night. Proves my point. I’m simply suggesting that IU do some marketing to get people, especially loud, fun, rowdy students in the stands. If that was Purdue’s best game attendance-wise, I’m sure they’ll consider doing more of those.

Cold temperatures certainly kept many fans away this season. Not much you can do there. But, IU had ONE game that rivaled the attendance of the Purdue game, that being fireworks night. Proves my point. I’m simply suggesting that IU do some marketing to get people, especially loud, fun, rowdy students in the stands. If that was Purdue’s best game attendance-wise, I’m sure they’ll consider doing more of those.

Purdue's home attendance vs IU: 2369 (their best attendance EVER)

Purdue's home games with over 2,000 in attendance in 2018:
Indiana 2369

IU home games with attendance over 2,000 in 2018:
Butler 2080
Purdue 2190
Purdue 2265
Illinois 2447
Illinois 2683
Illinois 2662
Kentucky 2882
Maryland 2114
Maryland 2765

Please note that the final Big Ten weekend of the season, Purdue hosted Michigan for an important battle between the 2nd and 3rd place teams in the conference. Not one of the three games did they eclipse 2,000 in the stands.

Don't give me this "IU had ONE game that rivaled the attendance of the Purdue game" crap. It's simply not true and lazy.

This is ridiculous arguing attendance. The facts are IU has far and away the best attendance and interest in the Big Ten besides Nebraska.

First off I believe IU is only Big Ten team besides Nebraska that have 3 dedicated somewhat active boards for Baseball specifically. The others get a posting here or there on their general athletic boards but nowhere near what IU or Nebraska has.

Attendance is not perfect and weather certainly keeps fans away at times but the interest in IU baseball is far more than most northern schools and certainly second in the Big Ten by a wide margin. The Bart is full for almost any weekend games with nice weather which no other Big Ten team comes close to (we just didn't have a lot of those this year).

The only thing that could be improved is getting more students out.

Purdue's home attendance vs IU: 2369 (their best attendance EVER)

Purdue's home games with over 2,000 in attendance in 2018:
Indiana 2369

IU home games with attendance over 2,000 in 2018:
Butler 2080
Purdue 2190
Purdue 2265
Illinois 2447
Illinois 2683
Illinois 2662
Kentucky 2882
Maryland 2114
Maryland 2765

Please note that the final Big Ten weekend of the season, Purdue hosted Michigan for an important battle between the 2nd and 3rd place teams in the conference. Not one of the three games did they eclipse 2,000 in the stands.

Don't give me this "IU had ONE game that rivaled the attendance of the Purdue game" crap. It's simply not true and lazy.

Well, nice work Kraft. I attended some home games in March that show 1300+ in attendance, and there had to be maybe 300 people there. Obviously season tickets are counted whether they show or not. Probably the same with most venues.

I should have been more specific, so my bad. I’d love to see a push for more students at the games. Cold weather? Beer and blanket night with $2 drafts. Something. That’s all.

A few things....
IU runs coaches clinics throughout the late summer and fall period and invites all HS and AAU coaches. This notion that they don’t reach out to local HS and AAU coaches is preposterous.

The ncaa would never allow a “north vs south”, the college baseball tournament is the 2nd highest revenue post season tournament the NCAA has, of course men’s basketball tournament #1. Moving the season back would not make the MLB happy, it kind of is what it is. If Northern teams want respect, go earn it.

This season is far from a disappointment. Are there internal goals that these guys didn’t reach and may be disappointed about, absolutely. 40 wins, tournament team and Regional finalist is not a bad consolation. Recruits want to play in those environments, but first you got to make it there. Consistency no other big10 team has seen the last 6 years. Disappointing you don’t reach a super, or CWS, sure. But the season a disappointment, absolutely not.
Some of our fans have gotten super uppity after one WS appearance and it’s incredibly obnoxious. We’ve now made the tourney 7? 8? times ever? 40 wins? That’s a fine year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT