ADVERTISEMENT

The Hoosier Insider: Sept. 21

Stu Jackson

Staff
Jun 30, 2016
Bloomington, Ind.
Here's our roundup of IU basketball, football and recruiting news:

Jordan Wells / Basketball Beat & Recruiting News

Flying a bit under the radar going into this weekend, the main recruiting note of the week is 2020 four-star guard Ethan Morton is taking an official visit this weekend:

Looks like he’s one of the first 2020 guards to take advantage of the new rule that lets him take earlier trips.

This was IU’s first offer in the 2020 class. You may ask, why not get him in for Hoosier Hysteria?

Maybe a fair question. My take, I could see making HH an event to try to seal the deal with TJD and Keion Brooks. Not that either will commit right after, just rolling out the red carpet for those guys and making them the focal point of that weekend.

Getting Morton in for Michigan State should also be a great experience while he can also be the focal point for the staff.

Don’t think Morton is very far down the road with recruiting, but the Hoosiers offered him early and watched him in April and July. He’s already visited campus once for a game.

There’s a lot of mutual interest here.

Here’s a nice article on Morton from J&C - https://www.jconline.com/story/spor...mpressing-his-game-and-commitment/1207458002/

Secondarily, we updated our 2020 and 2021 rankings this week with several movements for IU targets.
2020: https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2020
2021: https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2021

-----

Stu Jackson / Football Beat & Recruiting News

Josh Helmholdt caught up with 2019 4-star Merrilville (Ind.) Andrean linebacker Cameron Williams this week ahead of Williams' unofficial visit to Iowa this weekend.

Williams said back in August he was taking his time setting up those visits, in part because his recruitment was (and still is) open. He also wanted to get out film from the first three games of his senior season to see if that would lead to addition interest and potentially offers.

According to Helmholdt's story, Michigan State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Wisconsin and Minnesota have expressed increased interest in Williams since the start of his senior season. However, as I've covered in a previous insider, the offer to watch for Williams - should he receive it - is Ohio State.

Still, Indiana remains in great shape. Williams indicated as much in his comments about his relationships with in-state schools IU and Purdue.

Additionally, working to confirmation from visitors this weekend. 2019 3-star Mississippi wide receiver Kevin Barnett, a 6-foot-3, 190-pound prospect who is Rivals' No. 36 player in the state, told me this morning he will be in Bloomington Saturday for an unofficial visit, taking in the IU-Michigan State game.

Four-star Indianapolis Warren Central wide receiver David Bell is still IU's top target at that position in that class, but I'd put Barnett as a close second. Barnett only has two other Power Five offers in Duke and Mississippi, which presumably gives Indiana the ability to be a little bit picky while it courts Bell.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.