ADVERTISEMENT

The Herd on NIL

I resent this evolution as much as any, but don't think it's going to be as onerous as imagined. Social and economic disparity is a fact of life that kids begin to encounter pretty much as soon as they begin to walk. Reckon they'll handle it and the Game(s) will go on. Some aspects won't be pretty, but 'twas ever thus. Hate the raw commercializing at the college level and the reality that Schools and boosters can now 'buy' athletes, but the reality was that it had already happened anyway save that the Players themselves were the only ones not getting rich.

It will be messier' in some respects, but ultimately more egalitarian and transparent. Dramatic as well, if not so much in ways that are consistent with the reasons we cherish the Game.
We shall see, I hope your vision is right, I just see it getting bad before settling in. Obviously, FB will be the bigger stage here and IU does not have much to sell at this point.

We shall see, I hope your vision is right, I just see it getting bad before settling in. Obviously, FB will be the bigger stage here and IU does not have much to sell at this point.
Believe BB will be the true hotbed for NIL - are one or a few HS Players most years that look like first-round picks, can't really say the same of HS FB Players as even star college QB's don't always manage the transition to the Pros. And then there's the fact that an uber-talented individual can have an outsized impact on the Court in ways that simply aren't possible in football. i.e., a single FB Player can't really take over or dominate a game the way a BB star can.

Just getting a single guy (or two) can transform a BB Program into a contender - same can't be said of football, and for that, the real collegiate 'bidding wars' are going to be for the next Lebron, Bird or KG.

Also some opportunity in this for really selfless behavior - looking forward to the day that some 17-year old wunderkind signs a huge deal and turns around and splits it with his teammates or donates it all to feeding the hungry or some such...some young people are special in ways that go way beyond their athleticism.

Last edited:
Believe BB will be the true hotbed for NIL - are one or a few HS Players most years that look like first-round picks, can't really say the same of HS FB Players as even star college QB's don't always manage the transition to the Pros. And then there's the fact that an uber-talented individual can have an outsized impact on the Court in ways that simply aren't possible in football. i.e., a single FB Player can't really take over or dominate a game the way a BB star can.

Just getting a single guy (or two) can transform a BB Program into a contender - same can't be said of football, and for that, the real collegiate 'bidding wars' are gong to be for the next Lebron, Bird or KG.

Also some opportunity in this for really selfless behavior - looking forward to the day that some 17-year old wunderkind signs a huge deal and turns around a splits it with his teammates or donates it all to feeding the hungry or some such...some young people are special in ways that go way beyond their athleticism.
Good post

Just getting a single guy (or two) can transform a BB Program into a contender - same can't be said of football, and for that, the real collegiate 'bidding wars' are gong to be for the next Lebron, Bird or KG.

Also some opportunity in this for really selfless behavior - looking forward to the day that some 17-year old wunderkind signs a huge deal and turns around a splits it with his teammates or donates it all to feeding the hungry or some such...some young people are special in ways that go way beyond their athleticism.
All valid thoughts, we have a lot to learn. As you say, with BB a program can arrange for a single player ot two to get paid but the more elite the player the less time they wear the jersey. A FB player at Ahia, AL, etc has mass appeal and will likely be in the rpogram multiple years.

As I have stated, IU doesn ot have the regional market for a lot of big paydays but is in a very good position for top 100 kids that value the whole package IU delivers.

ADVERTISEMENT