ADVERTISEMENT

The Herd on NIL

Cavanagh.13

Senior
Nov 6, 2019
Colin was talking about the USC job and how they are gonna screw it up. Stating how with NIL going a million miles an hour and downhill you need a NFL guy. Someone that knows how to manage millionaires. Not a guy from “temple” when I herd (see what I did there) that I just cringed and thought of Archie.

Obviously I correlated it to IU and Woodson. For big market teams, the managing the job and the player aspect is huge.

Colin was talking about the USC job and how they are gonna screw it up. Stating how with NIL going a million miles an hour and downhill you need a NFL guy. Someone that knows how to manage millionaires. Not a guy from “temple” when I herd (see what I did there) that I just cringed and thought of Archie.

Obviously I correlated it to IU and Woodson. For big market teams, the managing the job and the player aspect is huge.
USC is screwing the pooch. If the guy they elevated to HC has success, they're either stuck with him or they replace him and piss off players while losing a great recruiter. The best long term solution is they suck this year and they only lose their best recruiter after letting him go.

No way they get the NIL thing right when they can't even get the HC stuff right.

For big market teams, the managing the job and the player aspect is huge.
Not as much as it is "soup du joeur". Good coaching brings good players. Good players with a manager brings a Cream team.

Last edited:
NIL was a huge mistake
That bell can’t be ”unrung, though. It will overwhelmingly be a football thing first and foremost, and big markets will offer many more opportunities than smaller ones. The impact in basketball will be much smaller, since the best players will barely be in college anyway. Those who said we would dominate in this space had no idea what they were talking about, and that’s evident now as NIL rolls out. It’s a lemonade stand versus Coca Cola.

When I see Colin Cowherd, I think of the guy that used to pitch Sham Wows on TV.

Reactions: kmathum

NCAA barreled into NIL without thinking it through (SCOTUS driven) and that will begin to show it's face here and there particularly in bigger markets where more opportunities exist. Time will fix most of that, but there will be some ugly results in between. Coaches will be required to manage tough locker room issues.

I really like where IU is in all of this. Scott was purposeful in providing the best resources for educating the kids on rules, opportunities, taxes etc. IU is a high profile program with upper mid-sized local market and national appeal. Indy is an IU town partuicularly in Basketball. IU won't be immune but they are in a great spot to sucessfully capitalize on NIL.

I believe many of the issues will come in larger markets in both sports but FB moreso than BB.

NCAA barreled into NIL without thinking it through (SCOTUS driven) and that will begin to show it's face here and there particularly in bigger markets where more opportunities exist. Time will fix most of that, but there will be some ugly results in between. Coaches will be required to manage tough locker room issues.

I really like where IU is in all of this. Scott was purposeful in providing the best resources for educating the kids on rules, opportunities, taxes etc. IU is a high profile program with upper mid-sized local market and national appeal. Indy is an IU town partuicularly in Basketball. IU won't be immune but they are in a great spot to sucessfully capitalize on NIL.

I believe many of the issues will come in larger markets in both sports but FB moreso than BB.

NIL is actually the one area I’m not happy with IU on. They need a few guys on staff that act like agents for all the athletes. I should not be doing deals with the athletes mid season, they shouldn’t have to worry about deciding on mostly sketchy endorsement deals (obviously Cavanagh’s corner excluded, I pay straight cash homie) where they get a percentage off sales made down the road etc.

They also should have classes for this, that the football and basketball team should be strongly encouraged to take.

Compliance needs to be better, again they need a really sharp agent like guy running the show. I will be recommending they spend an additional 500k-1M on NIL staffing and support.

yes. it will be the ruin of college sports.
For the higher profile kids, it simply removes the veneer of apparel company compensation that has flowed to athletes for the last decade plus (this obviously touched IU, too, as we know). Now, any firm can essentially help bid up the price for recruits, and the highest profile schools will use this to their already great advantage.

It will be far more a football than basketball phenomenon, mostly due to the draft rules and lack of minor league and international options. For IU, a smaller market program near a medium sized city now dominated by a professional team, the impact will be modest in hoops and football. You’ll see some nicer cars in the lot, but it’s not going to move the needle much.

NIL is actually the one area I’m not happy with IU on. They need a few guys on staff that act like agents for all the athletes. I should not be doing deals with the athletes mid season, they shouldn’t have to worry about deciding on mostly sketchy endorsement deals (obviously Cavanagh’s corner excluded, I pay straight cash homie) where they get a percentage off sales made down the road etc.

They also should have classes for this, that the football and basketball team should be strongly encouraged to take.

Compliance needs to be better, again they need a really sharp agent like guy running the show. I will be recommending they spend an additional 500k-1M on NIL staffing and support.
IU did a much better job than most in providing top consultants to the athletes regarding NIL. Now ..."agents"? I will admit I don't have enough detail to know if/when/how they fit in within the current rules. Not a bad idea, I just wouldn't call them "agents"

NIL will find it's own level over time as most things do. IU Basketball is in a great spot as the visibility and support in Indy and statewide is very marketable.

I love that you are in on this early even if in a small way. Yours will be part of the deals they study and learn from.

I love that you are in on this early even if in a small way. Yours will be part of the deals they study and learn from.

I am in the process of partnering with a marketing company that will produce everything. I then will be able to have my own videographers with press credentials at all IU games. I will have the best footage and content by a mile as far as IU media.

I am in the process of partnering with a marketing company that will produce everything. I then will be able to have my own videographers with press credentials at all IU games. I will have the best footage and content by a mile as far as IU media.
Good for you. I love Entrepreneurs.

Keep your nose clean and this may become something.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13

UNC is offering those classes...no one has to attend.

IU needs to hire at least 2 full time "NIL Opportunity Mangers" to solicit deals for all sports ( especially bball,football and soccer). This is just the way it is now...

IU needs to hire at least 2 full time "NIL Opportunity Mangers" to solicit deals for all sports ( especially bball,football and soccer). This is just the way it is now...
I didn't think the school could do that.

I didn’t realize paying the people that actually play the sport would cause the sport to deteriorate so quickly. Almost unwatchable at this point!
watching the big boys become like the NY Yankees without checks and balances (i.e. salary cap) could definitely become unwatchable

watching the big boys become like the NY Yankees without checks and balances (i.e. salary cap) could definitely become unwatchable
And you are going to see some of that with the elites of FB. It will get far worse before it gets better.

BB to a much lesser degree and IU is in a good position there. We won't be buying the top 10 kids but the good top 100 kids who want the mix of exposure, coaching, NIL, academics and all that Btown delivers in quality of student life.

Reactions: brianiu
You mean Duke Kentucky and Alabama Clemson are going to start getting all the best players???? You are really on to something waffleshitz.

I would almost guarantee there will be something similar to this in the next few years. NCAA is about to bow out of this and let the universities police it.
The NCAA has already thrown up it's hands and bowed out. The spurned appeal to the feds was Emmert's last ditch to maintain some semblance of relevancy after ignoring what people saw coming through the courts.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13

i think the problem with having an IU (or any school) guy acting as the agent, is that an inherent conflict, or the perception of one, or both, is inevitable.

when different guys are getting different amounts from NIL, if an IU guy is the agent, it looks like IU could be representing some more than others, regardless of if so or not.

the greater the disparity, the more IU itself can be pointed to or blamed as a cause of said disparity, and the sht really hits the fan if a white guy is doing better than a black guy, and the agent is an IU guy.

all that said, NIL is a total and complete disaster in the making.

while, (in theory anyway), the great thing for the capitalist university corporations is that while they can claim players can now be compensated, in theory anyway, not one cent of that compensation comes out of the university corporation's pocket. (until it does, with no guard rails).

as to why it's a disaster in the making,

A), in making it so theoretically all compensation comes from outside the schools, the schools give up all ability to regulate or police anything.

B), a school's appeal to recruits will in the future be tied to the media market a school is in, or the rabidness of it's wealthiest billionaire boosters, or the desperation of a school or administration circling the drain.

C), zero way to keep it from blatantly being pay to attend this or that school, or even stay at this or that school.

remember, of all the entities that can compensate a player, the entity for whom the player will be worth the most by far, is the school itself, or even the coach(s) themselves.

and since schools or coaches can easily get around any and all rules restricting their compensating the players themselves, simply by paying them through a third party acting in their behalf, there is no way to stop pay for play in the slightest.

and while schools and coaches may walk the straight and narrow in the beginning, all that goes out the window once a school or AD or coach is doing poorly and jobs are on the line.

once things start going south for a school or coach, all intended rules go out the window, and it becomes "whatever it takes". (just as in the corporate, small business, or even political worlds).

and while "in theory", player compensation will come from outside the school, inevitably theory will give way to reality when push comes to shove, and schools will have already given away any ability to even control their own spending for players, which they at least would have had had they "officially" compensated the players themselves, instead of making compensation "unofficial", or indirect, thus giving up any ability to even police or regulate themselves or anything else.

and with NIL, just like with Fight Club, the first rule, is that there are no rules.

Last edited:
i think the problem with having an IU (or any school) guy acting as the agent, is that an inherent conflict, or the perception of one, or both, is inevitable.

when different guys are getting amounts from NIL, if an IU guy is the agent, it looks like IU could be representing some more than others, regardless of if so or not.

the greater the disparity, the more IU itself can be pointed to or blamed as a cause of said disparity, and the sht really hits the fan if a white guy is doing better than a black guy, and the agent is an IU guy.

while, (in theory anyway), the great thing for the capitalist university corporations is that they can claim players can now be compensated, not one cent of that compensation comes out of the university corporation's pocket.

A), in making it so all compensation comes from outside the schools, the schools give up all ability to regulate or police anything.

B), a school's appeal to recruits will in the future be tied to the media market a school is in, or the rabidness of it's wealthiest billionaire boosters.

C), zero way to keep it from blatantly being pay to attend this or that school, or even staying at this or that school.

remember, of all the entities that can compensate a player, the entity for whom the player will be worth the most by far, is the school itself, or even the coach(s) themselves.

and since schools or coaches can easily get around any and all rules restricting their compensating the players themselves, simply by paying them through a third party acting in their behalf, their is no way to stop pay for play in the slightest.

and while schools may walk the straight and narrow in the beginning, all that goes out the window once a school or AD or coach is doing poorly and jobs are on the line.

once things start going south for a school or coach, all intended rules go out the window, and it becomes "whatever it takes". (just as in the corporate, small business, or even political worlds).

and while "in theory", player compensation will come from outside the school, inevitably theory will give way to reality when push comes to shove, and schools will have already given away any ability to even control their own spending for players, which they at least would have had had they "officially" compensated the players, instead of making compensation "unofficial", or indirect, thus giving up any ability to even police or regulate themselves.

and with NIL, just like with Fight Club, the first rule, is that there are no rules.
The issue for IU, among many, is that we’re a relatively small fish in the big NCAA pond, and demographics don’t play much to our benefit compared to many other large universities. While the alumni base is substantial, it’s greatly inflated by regional campus graduates who aren’t as tied to the IUB sports teams. Further, it’s a small town school with a small to medium sized city roughly 50 miles away that is its largest metropolitan area. That area, by the way, is now dominated by Indiana’s most popular team (the Colts), and even those guys keep a relatively low profile from an endorsement standpoint. That city also has graduates from another large public university as well as two smaller but influential private schools.

IU will have kids who get NIL deals, without question. But the notion that we’re going to dominate in this segment is without any real basis, especially because this will trend overwhelmingly toward football given the eligibility issues of those two sports.

Last edited:
Reactions: birdforbogey

when different guys are getting different amounts from NIL, if an IU guy is the agent, it looks like IU could be representing some more than others, regardless of if so or not.

while, (in theory anyway), the great thing for the capitalist university corporations is that while they can claim players can now be compensated, in theory anyway, not one cent of that compensation comes out of the university corporation's pocket. (until it does, with no guard rails).

A), in making it so theoretically all compensation comes from outside the schools, the schools give up all ability to regulate or police anything.

B), a school's appeal to recruits will in the future be tied to the media market a school is in, or the rabidness of it's wealthiest billionaire boosters, or the desperation of a school or administration circling the drain.

C), zero way to keep it from blatantly being pay to attend this or that school, or even stay at this or that school.

and since schools or coaches can easily get around any and all rules restricting their compensating the players themselves, simply by paying them through a third party acting in their behalf, there is no way to stop pay for play in the slightest.

and while schools and coaches may walk the straight and narrow in the beginning, all that goes out the window once a school or AD or coach is doing poorly and jobs are on the line.

and while "in theory", player compensation will come from outside the school, inevitably theory will give way to reality when push comes to shove, and schools will have already given away any ability to even control their own spending for players, which they at least would have had had they "officially" compensated the players themselves, instead of making compensation "unofficial", or indirect, thus giving up any ability to even police or regulate themselves or anything else.

This is going to be messy and a lot of feelings are going to be hurt in the process leading to some ugliness.

I feel for the coaches who have to add another layer of complexity to the locker room.

Reactions: SoccerSammy
This is going to be messy and a lot of feelings are going to be hurt in the process leading to some ugliness.
I resent this evolution as much as any, but don't think it's going to be as onerous as imagined. Social and economic disparity is a fact of life that kids begin to encounter pretty much as soon as they begin to walk. Reckon they'll handle it and the Game(s) will go on. Some aspects won't be pretty, but 'twas ever thus. Hate the raw commercializing at the college level and the reality that Schools and boosters can now 'buy' athletes, but the reality was that it had already happened anyway save that the Players themselves were the only ones not getting rich.

It will be messier' in some respects, but ultimately more egalitarian and transparent. Dramatic as well, if not so much in ways that are consistent with the reasons we cherish the Game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT