ADVERTISEMENT

The hearing- comments and observations (ongoing)

America magazine has pulled its endorsement of Kavanaugh

https://www.americamagazine.org/pol...ors-it-time-kavanaugh-nomination-be-withdrawn

America Magazine said:
While nomination hearings are far from the best venue to deal with such issues, the question is sufficiently important that it is prudent to recognize it as determinative at this point. Dr. Blasey's accusations have neither been fully investigated nor been proven to a legal standard, but neither have they been conclusively disproved or shown to be less than credible. Judge Kavanaugh continues to enjoy a legal presumption of innocence, but the standard for a nominee to the Supreme Court is far higher; there is no presumption of confirmability. The best of the bad resolutions available in this dilemma is for Judge Kavanaugh’s nomination to be withdrawn.

If Senate Republicans proceed with his nomination, they will be prioritizing policy aims over a woman’s report of an assault. Were he to be confirmed without this allegation being firmly disproved, it would hang over his future decisions on the Supreme Court for decades and further divide the country.

The committee already has Mark Judge's statement under oath from a closed hearing. Says the same thing as his in person testimony would.

um, he just provided a statement. Judge has never been questioned.

Calm and confident it was not. Somebody told Justice Kavanaugh that being angry would make him seem human, but it was badly focused anger and IMHO didn't take into account the testimony that had come before it. If he had expressed horror at being accused in the way he was instead of anger, he comes out looking human. If he had expressed anger about sexual assault and the revelations of the #MeToo era, he comes out looking human. If he expresses sadness and anger about something happening to the alleged victims (while insisting he had nothing to do with those alleged assaults), he comes out looking human.

Instead, as you noted, Justice Kavanaugh came across as partisan, spoiled, and unhinged. His answers resting on being #1 in his class, captain of a team, or other biographical footnotes are meaningless (as though any of those things makes one incapable of sexual assault.) His insistence that this is all a conspiracy by Democrats appears (IMHO) to be more of a window into his own modus operandi than anything. Privilege, avoiding responsibility, and partisan attack appear to be the only clubs he has in his bag, so he assumes that's the way everybody else is playing as well. That was a profoundly disappointing performance. Justice Kavanaugh is no Justice Roberts or Justice Alito or Justice Scalia.

Today's testimony was in front of the whole nation, but really was for an audience of 5-10 Senators. I'm not sure how Collins or Murkowski, let alone Manchin or Donnelly rationalize voting for confirmation given both of the testimonies that they heard. It will be interesting to watch the pretzels Senators twist themselves into as this progresses.

He completely lost me when he brought in the Clintons as being part of some hidden dem posse intent on bringing him down. Tells me that he’s FAR from impartial, and hopelessly partisan. Only far right folks spew BS like that.

You nailed it wen you described the way he came across. He was angry. Entitled. Spoiled. But the anger seemed reserved for what had happened to him- not for his past behavior that was the focus of he hearings today.

His whataboutism looked like something I see in this board- when you don’t like what you’re hearing, you whatabout. I couldn’t believe the way he treated some of the senators that were questioning him. It was ridiculous.

The committee already has Mark Judge's statement under oath from a closed hearing. Says the same thing as his in person testimony would.
Mark Judge has never appeared before the committee, he has only issued a short statement that was signed under oath.

He completely lost me when he brought in the Clintons as being part of some hidden dem posse intent on bringing him down. Tells me that he’s FAR from impartial, and hopelessly partisan. Only far right folks spew BS like that.

You nailed it wen you described the way he came across. He was angry. Entitled. Spoiled. But the anger seemed reserved for what had happened to him- not for his past behavior that was the focus of he hearings today.

His whataboutism looked like something I see in this board- when you don’t like what you’re hearing, you whatabout. I couldn’t believe the way he treated some of the senators that were questioning him. It was ridiculous.

Kavanaugh doesn’t belong near the Supreme Court, even if the assault allegations are false. He’s a partisan political hack, masquerading as a sober jurist. He has the temperament of Trump, and the same relationship with the truth. If Trump wanted another Gorsuch, he should’ve nominated Kethledge or Hardiman. The chaos continues.

Reactions: twenty02
Kavanaugh doesn’t belong near the Supreme Court, even if the assault allegations are false. He’s a partisan political hack, masquerading as a sober jurist. He has the temperament of Trump, and the same relationship with the truth. If Trump wanted another Gorsuch, he should’ve nominated Kethledge or Hardiman. The chaos continues.

I agree....I was on the fence about him until I watched that today. I'm sure it got the hardcore partisans fired up....But that is totally opposite the demeanor I want from someone on the SCOTUS.

Seems like someone that cannot control his emotions or temper. And more than that....he had the same canned answers that he repeated time after time. He honestly did not come off as someone I would call all that smart, just seemed like another DC lawyer....no different than 10,000 others.

Entirely unimpressed with how he conducted himself.

Mark Judge has never appeared before the committee, he has only issued a short statement that was signed under oath.
Cavanaugh will likely get confirmed. But letting Judge testify would sink him. That's how much a liability he is. That's why GOP insiders have been privately doing everything to make sure he never sees a committee room.

I agree....I was on the fence about him until I watched that today. I'm sure it got the hardcore partisans fired up....But that is totally opposite the demeanor I want from someone on the SCOTUS.

Seems like someone that cannot control his emotions or temper. And more than that....he had the same canned answers that he repeated time after time. He honestly did not come off as someone I would call all that smart, just seemed like another DC lawyer....no different than 10,000 others.

I’m sure Trump was impressed. Except for the crying part.

I can’t believe he’ll be confirmed.

I’m not reading this thread, so this may have been said. But had any woman or person of color acted the way this man did today, they would have had psych waiting for him upon his exit. But for this guy, it is exactly what the rest of the old angry white guns on the senate wanted. They just wanted an excuse to vote for him. Pathetic watching them pretend to care that a woman was assaulted. Lindsey Graham needs to join him in the psych ward too. The party of Trump is an ugly, screaming angry look indeed. And please, never again lecture anyone about civility.

Exactly. Kavanaugh grew up in the DC area, and has been an “Inside the Beltway” political operative his whole adult life. I think he’s been lusting after a SC nomination for years, and is willing to do anything to get it. I believe his startling performance today was mostly for an audience of one-Trump. The President thought he looked boring and weak in his television interview last week, so Kavanaugh decided to turn today into a Jerry Springer episode, to keep Trump on board. It will probably work in his favor as for getting his nomination rammed through.

A person with higher character would not have put his long term reputation, and his family through this unless being on the SC trumps everything in his mind. I like my Supreme Court justices to be more like Roberts, Breyer, Kennedy, Souter. People of high character, that are true jurists, not political operatives legislating from the bench.

I’m sure Trump was impressed. Except for the crying part.

I can’t believe he’ll be confirmed.
Yup. Trump would normally make fun of someone like him plus saying he was virgin all through college-what a loser in Trump world.

Centrists are going to stick together....But not sure which way that is....(though I've got a pretty good idea).

Exactly. Kavanaugh grew up in the DC area, and has been an “Inside the Beltway” political operative his whole adult life. I think he’s been lusting after a SC nomination for years, and is willing to do anything to get it. I believe his startling performance today was mostly for an audience of one-Trump. The President thought he looked boring and weak in his television interview last week, so Kavanaugh decided to turn today into a Jerry Springer episode, to keep Trump on board. It will probably work in his favor as for getting his nomination rammed through.

A person with higher character would not have put his long term reputation, and his family through this unless being on the SC trumps everything in his mind. I like my Supreme Court justices to be more like Roberts, Breyer, Kennedy, Souter. People of high character, that are true jurists, not political operatives legislating from the bench.

Exactly right. He doesn't belong as a judge on any court. He is a partisan political hack. If this man is rammed through onto our supreme Court, our democracy will have a permanent black mark on it.

Reactions: Bill4411
You guys know he will be confirmed tomorrow :p

No, he'll be voted out of the Committee tomorrow and then likely confirmed, in a close vote, with several Democrat senators, this weekend or early next week.

But this was/is just the JV game. Wait until Ginsburg moves on.

No, he'll be voted out of the Committee tomorrow and then likely confirmed, in a close vote, with several Democrat senators, this weekend or early next week.

But this was/is just the JV game. Wait until Ginsburg moves on.

I cringe even thinking about it

Exactly right. He doesn't belong as a judge on any court. He is a partisan political hack. If this man is rammed through onto our supreme Court, our democracy will have a permanent black mark on it.

There have been plenty of less than stellar individuals on the SC throughout history.

I was appalled by the entire afternoon session with Kavanaugh. In his anger, he revealed himself as both an entitled jerk and the partisan warrior he's been all his adult life. He is plainly unsuited to the Court.

Reactions: MrBing
I was appalled by the entire afternoon session with Kavanaugh. In his anger, he revealed himself as both an entitled jerk and the partisan warrior he's been all his adult life. He is plainly unsuited to the Court.

With each passing day, my fear level increases that we are looking at a potential dictatorship. We are witnessing the systematic dismantling of all democratic protections.

Reactions: meridian
He can run for a president, though. I hope he gets the nomination.

Last edited:
Centrists are going to stick together....But not sure which way that is....(though I've got a pretty good idea).

This is the smartest move by the Democrats. The real prize is the House in November. Subpoena Trump's tax returns and he'll resign, unless he concludes he safer in the Presidency than getting indicted out of it in NY. Either way, in 2020, the Democrats will take the Presidency and Congress, sanity will return, Trump will be a waxen toadstool at Madame Tussaud's and a footnote in history.

Reactions: sglowrider
I knew the divide was wide between the partisan left Democrats and the partisan right Republicans, but this has convinced me it’s wider than I thought. And it’s very, very deep. I spent some time yesterday on Facebook just reading comments and arguments from and between my very partisan Democratic friends from mostly our high school era and my partisan Republican friends from the same era. These people were mostly close friends with each other and some claim they still are, but you couldn’t tell that from the raw emotional posts they were throwing at each other or the like minded posts they were posting to their like minded friends. Those on the left are convinced Republicans have become an evil scourge and that Kavanaugh is a rapist, a serial sexual abuser at best, and pure Republican evilness in human form. Those on the right are convinced Democrats have become an evil scourge and what’s going on with the opposition and allegations against Kavanaugh is evil, dirty politics by the Democrats. Both sides are hoping mad. I saw people join in on these arguments that I’ve not seen post much about politics before. This event has really brought out the worst in the hyper partisan worlds of the left and right. Both confirming or not confirming Kavanaugh will make a side even more furious. I don’t know where that will lead.

I said a few days ago that if it were up to me, I’d pull Kavanaugh’s nomination and replace him. Not because I’m convinced that he’s guilty of the allegations against him (I’m one that thinks it’s impossible to know based on what we know), but because we don’t need a Justice with this baggage, fair baggage or not. I’m only hoping that debate over the replacement nominee would be less divisive and more civil. My hope could be too optimistic, but who knows?

I think our 40th high school reunion next year could be very interesting. I hope there isn’t a brawl.

I think our 40th high school reunion next year could be very interesting. I hope there isn’t a brawl.

Open carry state?
nervous.gif
nervous.gif

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I agree completely on the take that Kavanaugh is going to be seen as a complete partisan if he's confirmed now. And he proved that in his opening statement.

Keep in mind the folks Kav said back his story up just say they "don't recall" the incident, which is hard to get nailed for perjury on. I would like to see those witnesses questioned impartially and an investigation of the July 1st, 1982 party (which seems like it could line up rather well with Dr. Ford's testimony).

Ultimately we need to put some of the norms that existed before into laws. A time limit on the length of time a justice can serve is also something that needs to happen. That's the only way to ratchet things down

The general thought by a lot of people on the left is screw playing nice, we need to keep going until we crush Trumpism and everyone involved in aiding it. Maybe then we can go back to the old ways of doing things.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT