ADVERTISEMENT

The Greatest Female Pop Voice of All Time

You still don't get it .. if you can't grasp this simple of a theory you'll never understand Lou Reed...

I mean I've tried and until I can explain to you and you understand what I'm saying, it's a waste of time. You have good taste, you need some knowledge, because you like music enough to talk about it and you appreciate the art. And, knowledge will only make it that much better. Now that you have an idea what a waltz is.. let's move on to something a bit more complicated..

Do you get that Lou Reed was one of the first "rock" musicians to write "rock" songs using chromatic scales and classical progressions, instead of exclusively using the blues pentatonic scale .. of course other's did it before him, including the Beatles and many others but when they did them they played and arranged in older styles. Vaudevillian as an example..

It was rare in the 60's as most blues and rock were played using the 5 note scale and blues based chord progressions. Lou Reed used classical based chord progressions almost exclusively and was still playing music hard enough to be called rock...

Okay now do you get him? Or do you need to know what a pentatonic scale vs a chromatic scale is?
Your first mistake is thinking that I now know what a waltz is. My eyes glassed over, because of course the conversation wasn't about beer or fantasy football.

I suspect my disdain for Lou Reed originates because he failed as a pop star. I only like pop music. Give me a C, a bouncy C!

Have we discussed what pop music is?

No, you had the jugular, you just whiffed on the opportunity.

He was really spouting truisms...like 3/4 waltzes are in 3/4. 4/4 waltzes (and this is my favorite part) though very rare are in 4/4.

That is some priceless knowledge that I, as a musical asshat, would've never grasped, as I've never built a guitar.

You lost by not pushing for the win. TMP was reeling.

that was sarcasm dumby, do you need a sarcasm lesson too?

Obviously not since you showed a great grasp of it in the above post.

Your first mistake is thinking that I now know what a waltz is. My eyes glassed over, because of course the conversation wasn't about beer or fantasy football.

I suspect my disdain for Lou Reed originates because he failed as a pop star. I only like pop music. Give me a C, a bouncy C!

Have we discussed what pop music is?

You want a bouncy C? WTF is that?

Really? So you match me bowl for beer, and I will be smoking the 32mg THC Bubba.. (which is like the everclear of cannabis ) and we play a few games?
I don't know if you can smoke that fast.

Let me not get too arrogant though. I've been playing for about 30 years, but I've never been a grandmaster. My Elo as a kid hovered around 1600 or so. I hope it would be higher now, but who knows?

I don't know if you can smoke that fast.

Let me not get too arrogant though. I've been playing for about 30 years, but I've never been a grandmaster. My Elo as a kid hovered around 1600 or so. I hope it would be higher now, but who knows?

I love the game. I used to play a guy who was rated nationally in the 800's or so. Typical chess master type. Weirdo. I think he may have had Asperger's or was autistic or something. Lived in his mom's basement, never had a job or a car, and he was in his 30's. Great chess player though. I never beat him but came close a few times.

If I played right now most good players would beat me. It takes me bit of serious playing to see ahead in moves. If you get what I mean.

I love the game. I used to play a guy who was rated nationally in the 800's or so. Typical chess master type. Weirdo. I think he may have had Asperger's or was autistic or something. Lived in his mom's basement, never had a job or a car, and he was in his 30's. Great chess player though. I never beat him but came close a few times.

If I played right now most good players would beat me. It takes me bit of serious playing to see ahead in moves. If you get what I mean.
When I was a teenager, I played in tournaments every week. Really got pretty good. But the guy who taught me how to play - my dad - could still beat me almost every single time. He never played competitively, but I always wondered how good he really was. Because he never studied strategy, or learned any classical openings, or anything like that. But he just saw the board naturally, and even with all my training, he'd know many moves in advance if he was going to mate me. I beat him a handful of times, but it was very rare. Of course, once I got out of practice, I started having a hard time beating random people on Yahoo. Now, about the only chess I play is against myself. I sometimes have a board sitting out just for study and meditation purposes.

Its a reference to a bit by SCTV - you ever heard of SCTV?

Guessing not.
I'm getting bored with our dynamic. Can we change it? The only reason i bust on you about music is because you actually care about it. Plus it wastes time. Anyways I'm bored with it .. so ..

You should join the dark side and actually learn it. It keeps you young. When's the last time you learned something for fun? I try to pick something up every year.

When I was a teenager, I played in tournaments every week. Really got pretty good. But the guy who taught me how to play - my dad - could still beat me almost every single time. He never played competitively, but I always wondered how good he really was. Because he never studied strategy, or learned any classical openings, or anything like that. But he just saw the board naturally, and even with all my training, he'd know many moves in advance if he was going to mate me. I beat him a handful of times, but it was very rare. Of course, once I got out of practice, I started having a hard time beating random people on Yahoo. Now, about the only chess I play is against myself. I sometimes have a board sitting out just for study and meditation purposes.

OTF online chess league? Better than a book club ..

I bet I can kick Hoops ass and I would, without remorse.. lol

I'm getting bored with our dynamic. Can we change it? The only reason i bust on you about music is because you actually care about it. Plus it wastes time. Anyways I'm bored with it .. so ..

You should join the dark side and actually learn it. It keeps you young. When's the last time you learned something for fun? I try to pick something up every year.
I was just riffing on you and Goat. I will cede that you and Goat could kick my ass at chess; it's been a long time since I played. However, I would take Goat with the first overall pick in the AOTF Fantasy Chess league. just sayin....

And, I agree with you. I've pondered why I never tried to learn how to play an instrument, and don't have an acceptable reason why not. So, I'm going to learn how to play the bass. You may think that a stoopid choice, but its the instrument that I always focus on when watching a band, and I find myself humming the bass line.

This thread sucks.

And you realize that the only peeps who read this boring ass thread are you three, and well, me, because I love a trainwreck.

I'm reading. This is good stuff. And yeah, if you're a humming-to-yourself kinda guy, then you're perfect for the bass guitar. Get involved!

So, I'm going to learn how to play the bass. You may think that a stoopid choice, but its the instrument that I always focus on when watching a band, and I find myself humming the bass line.

There is no stupid choice. I've tried harmonica a few times and failed to pick it up. My bending technique is horrible. I tried going back to piano, since it was the first instrument I played and got so bored I failed. I tried to pick up tin whistle, since flute was my third instrument, and failed. I also tried violin, and can make dying cat sounds, still working on it. I did though pick up mandolin.. so it's all good.

If you master or become fairly proficient with one string instrument and have a rudimentary understanding of theory you can basically play all of them. I play mandolin by playing upside down guitar chords and scales. I was surprised how easy that was to do.. and still haven't learn one real mandolin chord or scale.. I just use the little theory I know and my ear..

I hope you do it and if you need any help I'll be glad to add whatever I can. Phyloe would be a great source , probably better than I, since he's a proficient bassist ..

Can we just agree that Ripple in not rap and therefore not WuTang and therefore great.

Because Wu Tang has no song better then Britney Spears.

Can we just agree that Ripple in not rap and therefore not WuTang and therefore great.

Because Wu Tang has no song better then Britney Spears.
Stop ...

and listen to this ... around 1:11 ..it's rap ... kinda ... lol ...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT