ADVERTISEMENT

The Good, The Bad, and The ....

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana
The Good:

We won in spite of errors that probably would have caused us to lose games in the past...

The D looked good to great at times (but my judgment is being withheld overall until after we play a couple of Big Ten games)...

Cignetti was clearly ticked off by the subpar aspects of the game and will have plenty of coaching points to hit on (with sincerity)over the next two weeks...

The next game (Western Ill) is the perfect opponent to simply focus on pure fundamentals against...

UCLA (game 3 @ The Rose Bowl) looks beatable (and probably would have lost against Hawaii if their QB hadn't been injured)...

The Bad:

Fill in the blank ___________
&
If we play the way we did yesterday we'll lose most, if not all, of our Big Ten games...

The Really Ugly:

Our receivers can't drop that many balls and expect us to be able to win against any Big Ten team...

Our backup C needs to learn how to snap the ball under pressure...

Our OL needs to cut their penalties by two thirds and while they're at it learn how to pass block or we're in for a long, ugly, disappointing Big Ten schedule...

The Good News is:
///We have two weeks of practices and what amounts to a scrimmage next Friday before we head to Cali... Let's hope our guys can get their sh-t together by then...///

Last edited:
I really like our running backs. Rourke showed the ability to escape and extend plays. Cooper looks to be a favorite target along with Horton. The transfers from JMU can play.

Best pass route running I have seen at IU in many years.

Our D looked quick and had some good hits. They did a good job containing a QB that would have hurt us in the past.

With the exception of the penalties and too many drops, this is a completely different look and feel from the last few years. I didn't question a play called all day. There is a lot I like about this team.

Our first double digit win over an FBS team since 2020.

Last edited:
I really like our running backs. Rourke showed the ability to escape and extend plays. Cooper looks to be a favorite target along with Horton. The transfers from JMU can play.

Best pass route running I have seen at IU in many years.

Our D looked quick and had some good hits. They did a good job containing a QB that would have hurt us in the past.

With the exception of the penalties and too many drops, this is a completely different look and feel from the last few years. I didn't question a play called all day. There is a lot I like about this team.

Our first double digit win over an FBS team since 2020.

According to the stats, Cooper was targeted 8 times and only actually caught 3 balls... He'll have a tough time staying on the field without changing that 3-8 ratio to something closer to 7-1...

The Good:

We won in spite of errors that probably would have caused us to lose games in the past...

The D looked good to great at times (but my judgment is being withheld overall until after we play a couple of Big Ten games)...

Cignetti was clearly ticked off by the subpar aspects of the game and will have plenty of coaching points to hit on (with sincerity)over the next two weeks...

The next game (Western Ill) is the perfect opponent to simply focus on pure fundamentals against...

UCLA (game 3 @ The Rose Bowl) looks beatable (and probably would have lost against Hawaii if their QB hadn't been injured)...

The Bad:

&
If we play the way we did yesterday we'll lose most, if not all, of our Big Ten games...

The Really Ugly:

Our receivers can't drop that many balls and expect us to be able to win against any Big Ten team...

Our OL needs to cut their penalties by two thirds and while they're at it learn how to pass block or we're in for a long, ugly, disappointing Big Ten schedule...

The Good News is:
///We have two weeks of practices and what amounts to a scrimmage next Friday before we head to Cali... Let's hope our guys can get their sh-t together by then...///

When Price dropped that deep ball, I almost came out of my chair. I wanted that one bad.

Still, it was nice to see the slot utilized so much for a change. I definitely welcome it.

Lets just enjoy the win.
Some people will just NEVER be happy, even for a night. I tried to tell people going in this was not going to be a 56-0 game, but I think 31-7 over this opponent is a solid opener. Especially taking into consideration how many new people, players and staff, are involved. MSU beat FAU 16-10 Friday night and could easily have lost. My perception is that FAU is likely better than FIU, but I think they play each other soon , maybe next week, so we will see.

That said, we were far from perfect, but I’ve seen a lot worse first games for our Hoosiers, and this game was never in doubt. Pretty much every other time we have played FIU ,we have gone into the 4th quarter with the game in doubt. The old adage is you do your most improving between game 1 and 2, not sure we will be able tell against a really bad Western Illinois team, but we should k ow more after UCLA and Maryland.

There is a lot to like with this win as the running backs looked good especially Greene and Lawton which means there was good run blocking by the OL. The defense was fast and solid most of the night at least until the backups entered the game. Pass rush by the front was good and we got pressure on the QB with them showing we could contain a mobile QB and sack him on a regular basis.

It is clear coach Cignetti saw enough wrong to correct this next week - it is a short week. I think we will see a big improvement over the next two games.

The Good:

The Bad:

&

The Really Ugly:

The Good News is:
They clearly treated it like a preseason game. Nothing too creative on either side of the ball. We’ll see more of the same Saturday.

We learned that the OL and DL are going to be pretty good.

They ran for 6 ypc (still 4.7 ypc before Green’s long one).

I think we’ll start seeing who they want to be at UCLA.

Some people will just NEVER be happy, even for a night. I tried to tell people going in this was not going to be a 56-0 game, but I think 31-7 over this opponent is a solid opener. Especially taking into consideration how many new people, players and staff, are involved. MSU beat FAU 16-10 Friday night and could easily have lost. My perception is that FAU is likely better than FIU, but I think they play each other soon , maybe next week, so we will see.

That said, we were far from perfect, but I’ve seen a lot worse first games for our Hoosiers, and this game was never in doubt. Pretty much every other time we have played FIU ,we have gone into the 4th quarter with the game in doubt. The old adage is you do your most improving between game 1 and 2, not sure we will be able tell against a really bad Western Illinois team, but we should k ow more after UCLA and Maryland.

Give me a ________ break...

We play a little more than a quarter of decent football and then go thru the motions for most of the next three (aside from several bright spots in the run game) and I'm expected to be doing back flips and cart wheels...

That was supposed to be the New INDIANA but what I saw was a whole lot of the old Indiana...

8 penalties, so many dropped passes I actually lost count, and matador pass protection are all things painfully reminiscent of the way we've been playing for the past several years and I, for one, am sick of watching that ____...

The original post was simply my objective view of what I saw on the field and my analysis of where that type of continued effort will lead us if it's not rectified over the next two weeks... If you disagree fine, but don't Tell me what I ought to be happy with...

Once again, if we don't find a way to get a whole lot better, and fast, we'll end up struggling mightily against an early Big Ten schedule that we should otherwise be fairly competitive against...

Hopefully the Staff and the Team will show quite a bit more recognition of their issues and an much greater urgency towards attempting to correct them then a few of the fan base do...

Last edited:

The best thing going forward is that the coaches we have know what they are doing. They will know how to strengthen/fix the weaknesses and enhance the strengths.
GoHoosiers

I’m glad we won. Lots of potential to improve. I don’t know what i was expecting but none the less I feel a bit disappointed. I guess to many missed opportunities? A few questions:
1. From those in attendance, were our receivers creating separation? It didn’t appear so from the tv.
2. Why were the inside slants so open for FIU?
3. Did Turner and Collin’s get any pt?

Thanks

The Good:

The Bad:

&

The Really Ugly:

The Good News is:
And you were an All American where?

They clearly treated it like a preseason game. Nothing too creative on either side of the ball. We’ll see more of the same Saturday.

We learned that the OL and DL are going to be pretty good.

They ran for 6 ypc (still 4.7 ypc before Green’s long one).

I think we’ll start seeing who they want to be at UCLA.
We threw to the TE. Even scored a touchdown with him. We had a WR end-around toss for 13 yards. We attempted a halfback pass.
That is 3 more plays of creative offense than we saw all of the last 3 seasons.

I was impressed with the Defense. They looked like They were playing at twice the speed of last years Defense. In addition, You didn't see
any totally blown coverages in the Secondary with Wide Open Receivers an DB's looking at each other like nobody knew Who blew the assignment, It also appeared that DB's knew when the ball was in the air and were reacting to it.

It looks like We can have a more than adequate running game. Yeah, the OLine blocking can be better, but our backs seem to have lateral quickness to move to a hole or create space. I didn't see a lot of hesitation in their running styles. Hit the hole plant your foot and make a cut and accelerate. It makes a big difference when You can get 5 yards on a first down run rather than less than 2.

This Team looks like it has the confidence to hit the field and make things happen, rather than standing around and wondering What Happened.

We play a little more than a quarter of decent football and then go thru the motions for most of the next three (aside from several bright spots in the run game) and I'm expected to be doing back flips and cart wheels...

That was supposed to be the New INDIANA but what I saw was a whole lot of the old Indiana...

8 penalties, so many dropped passes I actually lost count, and matador pass protection are all things painfully reminiscent of the way we've been playing for the past several years and I, for one, am sick of watching that ____...

The original post was simply my objective view of what I saw on the field and my analysis of where that type of continued effort will lead us if it's not rectified over the next two weeks... If you disagree fine, but don't Tell me what I ought to be happy with...

Once again, if we don't find a way to get a whole lot better, and fast, we'll end up struggling mightily against an early Big Ten schedule that we should otherwise be fairly competitive against...

Hopefully the Staff and the Team will show quite a bit more recognition of their issues and an much greater urgency towards attempting to correct them then a few of the fan base do...
Aren’t you the one who swore that fisher wasn’t going to be a good linebacker too? Just saying have a little positivity sometimes. We are in a better place than UCLA, MSU, and NW after week one. Places to improve sure. But I think we have the right coach that will actually improve those things by next week.

How about you give me an F’in break, you’re ridiculous, nobody said anything about back flips, but you be you. I said it was a solid first win with plenty of room for improvement, for sure, but going off the deep end after a 31-7 opening win is insane.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, AS AM I, so we should just agree to disagree. I have no idea how the rest of the season will go, nor do you, but it’s why I said we’ll know more after UCLA and Maryland. What I saw was anything but “the old Hoosiers”, but will we have enough talent this year ? Who knows right now. All that said, I saw a much better staff running the show and they will get more talent in here in the next 2-3 years.
But go ahead and give us your best Eyore, you’re entitled.

Aren’t you the one who swore that fisher wasn’t going to be a good linebacker too? Just saying have a little positivity sometimes. We are in a better place than UCLA, MSU, and NW after week one. Places to improve sure. But I think we have the right coach that will actually improve those things by next week.

Yes and while I was pleasantly surprised by his play (one of the highlights of the afternoon) , as far as I'm concerned the jury is still out on him until he's able to play at a high level against some Real competition in the first four games of our Big Ten schedule (UCLA, Maryland, Northwestern and Nebraska)...

If he consistently looks good against that level of competition I'll put a post up stating I was wrong (and I sincerely hope I'll have to do that)...

Having a good game against the 130th ranked team in the nation doesn't move the needle much for me...

Have to say I find it a little more than amusing that less than 10 months ago I was being ripped for being too positive and now when I simply state my observations (based on viewable fact) I'm getting ripped for not being positive enough...

The good news is that I'm fairly certain Cignetti is looking at what transpired yesterday with a much more critical eye than mine...

Reactions: vesuvius13
How about you give me an F’in break, you’re ridiculous, nobody said anything about back flips, but you be you. I said it was a solid first win with plenty of room for improvement, for sure, but going off the deep end after a 31-7 opening win is insane.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, AS AM I, so we should just agree to disagree. I have no idea how the rest of the season will go, nor do you, but it’s why I said we’ll know more after UCLA and Maryland. What I saw was anything but “the old Hoosiers”, but will we have enough talent this year ? Who knows right now. All that said, I saw a much better staff running the show and they will get more talent in here in the next 2-3 years.
But go ahead and give us your best Eyore, you’re entitled.

I like the Staff and I think Cignetti will get the job done but I certainly didn't like what I saw versus what I was hoping to see yesterday...

You want to come after me..., fine... Just expect some push back...

I've always treated you with respect on here but I'm not going to have you telling me what I should think about what I see on the Football field...

I like the Staff and I think Cignetti will get the job done but I certainly didn't like what I saw versus what I was hoping to see yesterday...

You want to come after me..., fine... Just expect some push back...

I've always treated you with respect on here but I'm not going to have you telling me what I should think about what I see on the Football field...
Uh, you might want to re read the posts on here, I never responded to you until YOU came after me. But again , you do you.

I understand your frustration about the drops and penalties. This is a brand new team under a new coaching regime. They will work out the kinks a bit. Vegas has our over/under at 5.5 wins for the season. From what I’ve seen, most people would be happy with 6 wins and a bowl game this season as it would be a major improvement from last year. There were some red flags yesterday, and I think they will clean it up. That being said it’s difficult to be upset with a 24 point win over an FBS opponent in week 1 as an IU football fan.

The sky is not falling at this point…

I understand your frustration about the drops and penalties. This is a brand new team under a new coaching regime. They will work out the kinks a bit. Vegas has our over/under at 5.5 wins for the season. From what I’ve seen, most people would be happy with 6 wins and a bowl game this season as it would be a major improvement from last year. There were some red flags yesterday, and I think they will clean it up. That being said it’s difficult to be upset with a 24 point win over an FBS opponent in week 1 as an IU football fan.

The sky is not falling at this point…

Never said the sky was falling...

I was simply pointing out that if we don't approach cleaning up several issues that really shouldn't be issues in the first place (such as drops and penalties) with a great deal of urgency then this Team may sadly find out that "later" gets here sooner than one expects...

Besides the drops, what did you guys think of the passing game? To me either Rourke wasn't sharp - threw some balls that were tough to catch given placement - or perhaps the receivers weren't exactly where they should have been. Maybe it was poor protection. Maybe it is just rust. Maybe Rourke and the receivers are still working on timing. Anyway, curious what you all think.

P.S. - Rourke's ability to escape sacks was borderline other-worldly

Uh, you might want to re read the posts on here, I never responded to you until YOU came after me. But again , you do you.

And I quote:

"Some people will Never be happy, not even for a night".

Plan on doing me..., thanks for allowing it (DWS)...

There is a lot to like with this win as the running backs looked good especially Greene and Lawton which means there was good run blocking by the OL. The defense was fast and solid most of the night at least until the backups entered the game. Pass rush by the front was good and we got pressure on the QB with them showing we could contain a mobile QB and sack him on a regular basis.

It is clear coach Cignetti saw enough wrong to correct this next week - it is a short week. I think we will see a big improvement over the next two games.
Boy do I like our 2 LB's. Walker is legit in pass coverage on a WR. TE, RB and Slot all involved in pass offense in 1st game is promising. Hiccups but IU gameplan still seemed so smooth. 3 plays executed a slight % better and the score could easily have been 42-0. But we can't spend that kinda $.
Evan's, Lynch and Stephens are sure going to be the target of BB's instruction this week. Great having a HC like Cignetti, heady and a man of action.

I’m glad we won. Lots of potential to improve. I don’t know what i was expecting but none the less I feel a bit disappointed. I guess to many missed opportunities? A few questions:
1. From those in attendance, were our receivers creating separation? It didn’t appear so from the tv.
2. Why were the inside slants so open for FIU?
3. Did Turner and Collin’s get any pt?

Thanks
I wish I was smart enough to answer your questions, all I know is the popcorn boxes
are much smaller this year.

• Haha
Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
OK, Everybody back away from the ledge. Let's look at this in perspective in terms of what went on around the Country Yesterday.
1. Michigan playing at Home against Fresno State. New Quarterbacks, New Offensive Line and trouble moving the ball. they are leading 16-13 halfway through the 4th Quarter. They finally get a long drive for a touchdown, followed by a long interception return for a TD to break the game open. They have things that need to be corrected with Texas coming in next week.
2. Oregon playing at Home against Idaho. They are in a 3 point game into the 4th Quarter, and finally get a score to widen the margin.
3. Notre Dame at Texas A&M in a tight Defensive struggle. Notre Dame wins the game, but has to overcome over 100 yards of penalties to do so.
4. Virginia Tech goes to Vanderbilt and loses in overtime. Virginia Tech fans are outraged and calling for a Coaching change.
My point is there are some really good teams out there that didn't have clean games and need to correct problems. We are not alone.
The good news is that everything that I saw is correctable. The thing that encourages me is that I didn't see any stupid plays or penalties. No late hits two seconds after the fact and no Defensive holding Penalties by Db's out of position with no clue of the system or how to play the position.

OK, Everybody back away from the ledge. Let's look at this in perspective in terms of what went on around the Country Yesterday.
1. Michigan playing at Home against Fresno State. New Quarterbacks, New Offensive Line and trouble moving the ball. they are leading 16-13 halfway through the 4th Quarter. They finally get a long drive for a touchdown, followed by a long interception return for a TD to break the game open. They have things that need to be corrected with Texas coming in next week.
2. Oregon playing at Home against Idaho. They are in a 3 point game into the 4th Quarter, and finally get a score to widen the margin.
3. Notre Dame at Texas A&M in a tight Defensive struggle. Notre Dame wins the game, but has to overcome over 100 yards of penalties to do so.
4. Virginia Tech goes to Vanderbilt and loses in overtime. Virginia Tech fans are outraged and calling for a Coaching change.
My point is there are some really good teams out there that didn't have clean games and need to correct problems. We are not alone.
The good news is that everything that I saw is correctable. The thing that encourages me is that I didn't see any stupid plays or penalties. No late hits two seconds after the fact and no Defensive holding Penalties by Db's out of position with no clue of the system or how to play the position.
No stupid penalties is a big one.

And I quote:

"Some people will Never be happy, not even for a night".

Plan on doing me..., thanks for allowing it (DWS)...
And as you can plainly see, that response was to Willdog, but you knew that. Not going to go back and forth with you any longer on this site, so I’ll just move along. You don’t appear to be open to anyone else’s thoughts anyway, so I’ll not waste my time here anymore. Sorry you took such offense to a post to Willdog that stated we needed improvement and we will know more after UCLA and Maryland.

And it was “going through the motions” that galled CCC the most when opportunities were missed.

SI reports PFF gave the defense good grades

From a national perspective, Indiana’s run defense was the strongest part of its Week 1 performance. Pro Football Focus (PFF) gave Indiana an 85.3 run defense grade, which tied for 22nd nationally after Saturday’s games. The overall defense grade of 82.3 tied for 27th, and its 79.6 tackling grade was 24th. PFF gave Indiana an 80.7 coverage grade, good for 34th in the FBS, and its biggest area of improvement is a 68.0 pass rush grade, which ranked 46th.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...n-season-opener-against-florida-international

Other quotes

Indiana’s defense was especially dominant in the run game. FIU ran the ball 30 times but mustered just 1.8 yards per carry and 53 total yards, 23 of which came on Owens’ carry late in the first half. Fisher, Burris, Carr and Andrew Turvy accounted for Indiana’s four sacks and helped the group hold FIU to 4-for-13 on third down.

Fisher led the team with 12 tackles, two tackles for loss and one sack. Alongside him, Walker was next with eight tackles. Those two are used to playing together at James Madison, and Fisher thought that familiary helped in their first game with many new teammates.

Last edited:
And as you can plainly see, that response was to Willdog, but you knew that. Not going to go back and forth with you any longer on this site, so I’ll just move along. You don’t appear to be open to anyone else’s thoughts anyway, so I’ll not waste my time here anymore. Sorry you took such offense to a post to Willdog that stated we needed improvement and we will know more after UCLA and Maryland.

🙄
You do you...
(I think I read that somewhere).

It explains a lot about the product on the field when someone as close to the program as you have been over the years clearly is comfortable with being both disingenuous and unconcerned about mediocrity on the field...

It seems Cignetti may have a larger boulder to roll up hill then even he realizes...

You needn't leave on my account... I'm putting you on Ignore as I finish typing this so unless you mention me specifically in a post we'll never interact on here again...

Last edited:

It seems Cignetti may have a larger boulder to roll up hill then even he realizes...
I don’t think it’s as big as Hep’s rock. Yesterday’s offense may not have been good enough to beat the Terp’s in College Park. It was likely good enough to beat the Bruins, assuming the defense holds UCLA under 20.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s as big as Hep’s rock. Yesterday’s offense may not have been good enough to beat the Terp’s in College Park. It was likely good enough to beat the Bruins, assuming the defense holds UCLA under 20.

You may be right..., but personally I have a hard time believing that the one quarter effort we put on the field yesterday is good enough to beat any team in the Big Ten (aside from our own)...

Hopefully Cignetti can get things straightened out over the next two weeks before we head out to Pasadena... It would be a damn shame to leave a W on the field out there that could be ours with a 4 quarter + effort...

I've never understood how a player could put in the type of work that they do from Winter Conditioning, to Spring Ball, to Summer Conditioning, to Fall Camp and then waste it all for themselves and their teammates by simply losing focus on their assignment(s) when the ball is actually snapped live... To not be able to fully focus on a goal that you've been working that hard towards achieving when it's in your grasp is simply mind boggling to me...

Here's hoping Cignetti can find a way to deposit the prevailing culture of "it's okay to just be slightly above mediocre" into the nearest trash bin and get these players on track for sustained success sooner rather than later...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT