ADVERTISEMENT

The elephant in the room

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC Mac

All-Big Ten
Aug 19, 2002
Not wanting to start a political debate on vaccinations,etc but with the recent surge in COVID cases,what’s the odds we are facing another season with no fans in the stands?
I can see it happening,it’s 5 weeks til the start of the season and it looks like it’s gonna get worse before it gets better.Thoughts?

This topic is also being discussed on the Purdue board. Quasi-political, but not entirely misinformed.

I think the die is cast and that fans will be in the stands. I don't think there's enough stomach to do serious public health restrictions any longer, even if it is the wiser decision to do so. Where there is so little compliance with a "we're all in this together" approach, the restrictions don't matter and become nothing more than an inconvenience to those who want to get this behind us. And by behind us, I mean low rates of infection/hospitalization/death, not just pretending it's going away.

If Florida is teaching us anything right now, it's that health systems can become overwhelmed again in no time by the number of folks in the hospital. If last year is predictive, Indiana will have its turn for the same come October - December, just with fewer deaths because of the higher vax rate in the older population.

Reactions: Bill4411 and CC Mac
Good post. Here's what I got from the deep South. I have two sons currently at Alabama. Classes start Aug 18. Campus activities like Rush underway. UA is recommending but not requiring the shot because the shots are all only approved for "emergency use authorization." That is the rub on mandating shots from leadership.

Regarding fans in the stands. Count on it in the SEC unless the world falls apart. Nobody here (Central Gulf Coast of Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, or Florida Panhandle) wants another year without fans.

If the world falls apart people here will still care about football. It's life for many.

Personally, I think we are in trouble nationally again. I also believe kids sick at schools everywhere will expose it.
Hope I'm wrong. Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: 76-1 and CC Mac
I’d not be surprised if sports teams/leagues are discussing vaccine passports. They want their money so fans will be in the stands, but I think that regulations around might happen.

I just want to attend in person FOOTBALL!! 😩

I'm much more concerned about players, even vaccinated players, being unable to play because they test positive. What will those protocols look like? If all of the players are vaccinated, internal spread is not as big of a deal, but if decisions are made to protect the unvaccinated players, the COVID positive players might be looking at long quarantine periods still.

I'm much more concerned about players, even vaccinated players, being unable to play because they test positive. What will those protocols look like? If all of the players are vaccinated, internal spread is not as big of a deal, but if decisions are made to protect the unvaccinated players, the COVID positive players might be looking at long quarantine periods still.
I've heard that vaxxed players won't be tested as a matter of course. So, unless they're symptomatic, they're not likely to get tested/have to quarantine. If they ARE symptomatic, then they should get tested/quarantine anyway.

Jabs are mandated to return to school.

Reactions: UncleMark
Good post. Here's what I got from the deep South. I have two sons currently at Alabama. Classes start Aug 18. Campus activities like Rush underway. UA is recommending but not requiring the shot because the shots are all only approved for "emergency use authorization." That is the rub on mandating shots from leadership.

Regarding fans in the stands. Count on it in the SEC unless the world falls apart. Nobody here (Central Gulf Coast of Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, or Florida Panhandle) wants another year without fans.

If the world falls apart people here will still care about football. It's life for many.

Personally, I think we are in trouble nationally again. I also believe kids sick at schools everywhere will expose it.
Hope I'm wrong. Go Hoosiers!

Posted this over on the Watercooler:

(Keep in mind I'm a pro mask [indoors] and pro vaccine [for those over 60]...)

It seems clear (at least to me) that there's some degree of information suppression going on... Its no wonder there's some distrust of the agencies whose edicts would normally be the unquestioned (NIH, CDC, WHO)...

Supposedly (per the Iowa board) 30% of their team isn't vaccinated... If that's truly the case, we might have the same thing happen to us that happened up at Wisconsin (where clearly our guys were exposed and several contracted COVID)... Let's hope our season isn't trashed before it's even begun...🙉😳😖🙈

Reactions: vesuvius13
Supposedly (per the Iowa board) 30% of their team isn't vaccinated... If that's truly the case, we might have the same thing happen to us that happened up at Wisconsin (where clearly our guys were exposed and several contracted COVID)... Let's hope our season isn't trashed before it's even begun...🙉😳😖🙈
Tom Allen said in his press conference that the IU team is over 90% vaccinated. Working on the rest.

I imagine masks will be mandated, but considering our number of players vaccinated, I’d think we’d be in better shape for the season.

Not wanting to start a political debate on vaccinations,etc but with the recent surge in COVID cases,what’s the odds we are facing another season with no fans in the stands?
I can see it happening,it’s 5 weeks til the start of the season and it looks like it’s gonna get worse before it gets better.Thoughts?
Well I'll just say I hope we've learned from last year to not jump to conclusions. The powers that be shouldn't make any rash decisions. Also, this season it seems likely that the games themselves at least will probably go on pretty consistently, as I expect few issues amongst our players. As for fans & attendance, that might be a different matter.

Reactions: MIS01
The same thing happened to IU after Wisconsin. You have wonder what was the problem there.

I’m a little concerned for FB, but more for BB. The guidelines recently issued are about masking up indoors. I’m afraid if things aren’t more under control in a couple months, we won’t be able to see BB games

They cannot attend class until they are,
You misspelled “until they SAY they are” - no proof is required

I interpret Warren’s comments to be that each school will follow state/local rules. The conference will stand aside.

So far, the governors have been “the deciders” - at least where statutes allow.

So ... I’d bet the games policy will be “we recommend unvaccinated people not attend - won’t ask, don’t tell - roll your own dice on getting/transmitting the virus”

Mask policy will be based on the numbers, but if it’s voluntary, there will be fisticuffs among those whose opinions are more important than others.

When i first read this thread Title I was thinking and hoping “the Elephant in the room” would pertain to Jaylin’s playing status. Guess not.

Will this be a Wilson era, 1 hour before season opening kick off kind of announcement?

They’ll require proof of vaccination instead of not allowing fans. There will be fans in stands regardless.

Tom Allen said in his press conference that the IU team is over 90% vaccinated. Working on the rest.
LEO is all about doing what's in the best interest of the team. Anyone refusing the jab isn't doing LEO. If LEO is to be anything more than a slogan, then anything short of 100% will be a disappointment as far as I'm concerned.

You misspelled “until they SAY they are” - no proof is required

I interpret Warren’s comments to be that each school will follow state/local rules. The conference will stand aside.

So far, the governors have been “the deciders” - at least where statutes allow.

So ... I’d bet the games policy will be “we recommend unvaccinated people not attend - won’t ask, don’t tell - roll your own dice on getting/transmitting the virus”

Mask policy will be based on the numbers, but if it’s voluntary, there will be fisticuffs among those whose opinions are more important than others.
That changed with the legal decision.

Reactions: iueyedoc99
LEO is all about doing what's in the best interest of the team. Anyone refusing the jab isn't doing LEO. If LEO is to be anything more than a slogan, then anything short of 100% will be a disappointment as far as I'm concerned.
Spot on

Reactions: IUXC68
The court decision said IU could require a vaccine, but I don’t recall IU saying they would require proof. It’s a “self report” process.

Then again,I’ve been out of touch, so maybe I’m out of date.
They were going to require proof until the state legislature started making noise about it. They changed it to having students fill out a form online stating they have been vaccinated with the option of uploading the proof. Those who upload a copy of their certificate are eligible for prizes.

They were going to require proof until the state legislature started making noise about it. They changed it to having students fill out a form online stating they have been vaccinated with the option of uploading the proof. Those who upload a copy of their certificate are eligible for prizes.
They can lie, but if they lie and cannot produce proof they have to get tested and inform any potential room mates.

The virus is exploding across the state and only 2.96 million out of 6.7 million residents are vaccinated.

Reactions: BayernFan
They make decisions on who plays or not.

If vaccines work, there is no need for concern. Every vaccinated person is safe.

Every unvaccinated person exercised their rights to make their decision what to do with their own body, and if they get sick, they rolled their own dice, and can’t make me sick because I got the “safe” shot.

Only people who can get sick are the voluntarily unvaccinated.

Viruses mutate whether theres a vaccine or not. Nature gonna nature. And if we need another vaccine, the United Damn States will make one. Because we can. We always save the world.
The virus is exploding across the state and only 2.96 million out of 6.7 million residents are vaccinated.

2.96 are safe
6.7 are satisfied
Problem solved.

Case rate is not relevant - nobody cares who gets the sniffles

If the DEATH rate explodes, then the 6.7 will re-think it. Until then, they have a right to decide what to do vis-a-vis their own bodies/health - and if you are vaccinated, you’re safe, and can’t violate/override their rights.

This ain’t rocket science.

Everybody gets what they want.

If vaccines work, there is no need for concern. Every vaccinated person is safe.

Every unvaccinated person exercised their rights to make their decision what to do with their own body, and if they get sick, they rolled their own dice, and can’t make me sick because I got the “safe” shot.

Viruses mutate whether theres a vaccine or not. Nature gonna nature. And if we need another vaccine, the United Damn States will make one. Because we can. We always save the world.

2.96 are safe
6.7 are satisfied
Problem solved.

If the DEATH rate explodes, then the 6.7 will re-think it. Until then, they have a right to decide what to do vis-a-vis their own bodies/health - and if you are vaccinated, you’re safe, and can’t violate/override their rights.

We don’t get what we want if we have players out due to Covid protocol. I’d hate to be one of the few players not vaccinated if we do have an outbreak. Not very LEO of them.

Reactions: IUgradman

2.96 are safe
6.7 are satisfied
Problem solved.

Aren’t they breaking IU rules if they aren’t vaccinated? Unless it’s a medical reason. I assume we will be at 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT