ADVERTISEMENT

The elephant in the room

Status
Not open for further replies.
If vaccines work, there is no need for concern. Every vaccinated person is safe.

Every unvaccinated person exercised their rights to make their decision what to do with their own body, and if they get sick, they rolled their own dice, and can’t make me sick because I got the “safe” shot.

Only people who can get sick are the voluntarily unvaccinated.

Viruses mutate whether theres a vaccine or not. Nature gonna nature. And if we need another vaccine, the United Damn States will make one. Because we can. We always save the world.

2.96 are safe
6.7 are satisfied
Problem solved.

Case rate is not relevant - nobody cares who gets the sniffles

If the DEATH rate explodes, then the 6.7 will re-think it. Until then, they have a right to decide what to do vis-a-vis their own bodies/health - and if you are vaccinated, you’re safe, and can’t violate/override their rights.

This ain’t rocket science.

Everybody gets what they want.
Hospitalizations and deaths are increasing too. Any person who is willingly unvaccinated becomes a potential incubator and spreader of the virus, threatening the lives of those who are not eligible for vaccination or are immune compromised.

If vaccines work, there is no need for concern. Every vaccinated person is safe.

Every unvaccinated person exercised their rights to make their decision what to do with their own body, and if they get sick, they rolled their own dice, and can’t make me sick because I got the “safe” shot.

Viruses mutate whether theres a vaccine or not. Nature gonna nature. And if we need another vaccine, the United Damn States will make one. Because we can. We always save the world.

2.96 are safe
6.7 are satisfied
Problem solved.

If the DEATH rate explodes, then the 6.7 will re-think it. Until then, they have a right to decide what to do vis-a-vis their own bodies/health - and if you are vaccinated, you’re safe, and can’t violate/override their rights.

It’s the long term effects too. Death rate is just part of it. The guys I work with aren’t the same. Mentally or physically. We aren’t talking 1 or 2. We are talking a dozen of them.

What if the opposite is true, also?

Will COVID-19 Vaccines Drive Mutated Variants?

Point is, we just don’t know yet.

2.96 are safe
6.7 are satisfied
Problem solved.

Could not have said it better and cannot agree more.

What if the opposite is true, also?

Will COVID-19 Vaccines Drive Mutated Variants?

Point is, we just don’t know yet.
The Epoch Times? You do realize that rag is published by a weird religious cult, right?

Hospitalizations and deaths are increasing too. Any person who is willingly unvaccinated becomes a potential incubator and spreader of the virus, threatening the lives of those who are not eligible for vaccination or are immune compromised.
I’m immune compromised, but I’m still not gonna criticize folks who choose not to be vaccinated. They have rights too.

Plus, Maybe if the toxic political battle about Covid had not occurred, they’d trust the vaccines more.

I’m immune compromised, but I’m still not gonna criticize folks who choose not to be vaccinated. They have rights too.

Plus, Maybe if the toxic political battle about Covid had not occurred, they’d trust the vaccines more.
Or maybe if they’d listen to scientists, doctors, and actual news sources.

Reactions: IUgradman
The Epoch Times? You do realize that rag is published by a weird religious cult, right?

Is this better? Just do your own research. I just that they did a good job laying out the other side.

Antoniobrownfeature2-619-386.png

here's a pic of a vaccinated player at Steeler's training camp.

i advise players steer clear of the goal posts.

that said, all players being vaccinated could make for some interesting new adjustment to the game.

IMG_2078.jpg

People test positive and get covid-19 after being vaccinated, so upcoming season will be an interesting one.

I wish everyone would chill the heck about covid. It’s pretty simple. Those of us who are vaxed are fine. Sure we might get a slight cold, or worse yet, flu like symptoms. Older folks who refused it are playing Russian roulette. Let for all I care. Their choice.

What baffles me are the anti-vaxers who get the sniffles and run ASAP to the walk in for a test and are begging for help. Like screw em, you know??

Don’t listen to the media about the outliers. There are outliers in everything! My child was an outlier and hospitalized for RSV back in the day. She was fine. So will today’s kids, and I’ve got 4.

Edit to add, there will be a new variant every single year! So if we get to 80% vaxed who cares! Another variant will come from Chile, or Brazil, or Morocco, or wherever. You either choose to get vaxed or you don’t. Make it hell for those that aren’t and let those of us who did the right thing be LTF alone!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill4411
I wish everyone would chill the heck about covid. It’s pretty simple. Those of us who are vaxed are fine. Sure we might get a slight cold, or worse yet, flu like symptoms. Older folks who refused it are playing Russian roulette. Let for all I care. Their choice.

What baffles me are the anti-vaxers who get the sniffles and run ASAP to the walk in for a test and are begging for help. Like screw em, you know??

Don’t listen to the media about the outliers. There are outliers in everything! My child was an outlier and hospitalized for RSV back in the day. She was fine. So will today’s kids, and I’ve got 4.

Edit to add, there will be a new variant every single year! So if we get to 80% vaxed who cares! Another variant will come from Chile, or Brazil, or Morocco, or wherever. You either choose to get vaxed or you don’t. Make it hell for those that aren’t and let those of us who did the right thing be LTF alone!
The problem is what happens when a variant that is resistant to vaccines emerges? Then we are back to square one.

Yes there are outliers for everything, but we always work to minimize outliers.

Car accident deaths/injuries have always been outliers, even before any form of safety standards. And all we have done (seat belts, airbags, child seats, efforts to curb drunk driving, etc) have combined only reduced death rates in the last 60 years by about 50% (if based on population or 70-80% reduction if based on miles driven) and I think all those efforts are overwhelmingly worth it

People interpret numbers however they choose. Again, I choose the side of medicine.
No. You’re wrong.

There are X number of reported cases, Y number of reported deaths, and Z number of reported “long term/serious consequences” as defined by medical folks. There is no interpretation, except what medical folks define as “long term/serious consequences.” Nobody gives a crap if people get or spread sniffles. We aren’t operating in a knowledge vacuum.

As of this morning:

We have 201,917,795 known world-wide cases, and 4,284,617 known world-wide deaths.

We have 36,303,589 known US cases, and 631,891 known US deaths.

The only people who “interpret” these numbers are people who want to deny math and argue politics.

You can look up any state and see that people who are young and healthy are at near-0 levels of death, and infinitesimal rates of serious illness/long-term consequences. For example, in my state, there have been 78,080 cases for people under 20. Out of 6,602 total deaths, there have been 2 deaths of persons under 20. There have been 50,789 cases for people 70 and over, and 5,412 deaths of persons 70 and over. Thus, I do not listen to people who tell me “we must shut down everything because of risks to children.”

Oddly enough, despite the current alarm of risks of serious/long-term consequences to kids, they have never broken down the numbers of hospitalizations/ICU admissions/persons on vents by age. Nor have they regularly reported numbers of other Covid-related conditions or the age breakdowns of those conditions. We have to rely on people like CNN to brings us those stories.

But - Everyone but kids 18 and under have had a chance to get a vaccine. 18 and under were last to get it because they are at least risk AND because the science and medical people (who once used modern medical science to bleed George Washington to death) wanted to study the rest of us first.

So if the medical and science leaders are correct, various combos of masks, vaccines and open air will make anyone at an IU football game safe. And nobody will be forced to go, or take sick people, old people or children to any game.

PS - like every virus in the history of viruses, this one will mutate and change. Neither Republicans nor Democrats have caused this either. And it isn’t unique.

The problem is what happens when a variant that is resistant to vaccines emerges? Then we are back to square
The problem is what happens when a variant that is resistant to vaccines emerges? Then we are back to square one.
I do not believe there will ever be a variant with complete resistance. The problem is how do you define “resistant.” Right now the media keeps reporting the vaccines are resistant to Delta…but they’re all still like 99% at preventing serious disease and death. Wasn’t that always the goal?? We were NEVER going to eradicate covid. Anyone who truly believed that was a fool.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Talked to an elderly gentleman at the grocery store. He brought up the polio pandemic. He said vaccines work. So well that he was happy he didn’t have to see his neighbors, brothers, sisters, friends etc struggle to walk or breath in an iron lung. He said he can’t believe that our society would put this on everyone else’s shoulders if they can help us all.

Those of you that say that taking the vaccine is the "right" thing to do have never had a loved one affected by a vaccine.

It'll make you question everything.

Those of you that say that taking the vaccine is the "right" thing to do have never had a loved one affected by a vaccine.

Respectfully, that's the wrong message. The overwhelming majority of people who receive the Covid vaccine (or any vaccine, for that matter) tolerate it extremely well, with short-duration, minor side effects. Conversely, the overwhelming majority of patients currently hospitalized with Covid, in ICUs and on vents are unvaccinated.

Nothing that goes into your body, even aspirin, is without risk. But when you do the risk/benefit analysis here, the answer couldn't be clearer. The Covid vaccines work, and they're saving countless lives.

Those are an extreme outlier. Vaccines are by far safer than any infectious disease. The problem with this virus and it’s variants is the possible/likely long term affects. This little virus unlike others can infiltrate every type of cell in your body. It’s a very unique type of virus.

Respectfully, that's the wrong message. The overwhelming majority of people who receive the Covid vaccine (or any vaccine, for that matter) tolerate it extremely well, with short-duration, minor side effects. Conversely, the overwhelming majority of patients currently hospitalized with Covid, in ICUs and on vents are unvaccinated.

Nothing that goes into your body, even aspirin, is without risk. But when you do the risk/benefit analysis here, the answer couldn't be clearer. The Covid vaccines work, and they're saving countless lives.
Respectfully, no one has any idea what anybody’s risks are, including the ones administering the vaccines. If someone has already been infected, what are their risks? Obviously it’s better for society as a whole if everyone takes it and let’s the chips fall where they may but there probably will or has been people who died from the vaccine that would not have died from COVID.

Respectfully, no one has any idea what anybody’s risks are, including the ones administering the vaccines. If someone has already been infected, what are their risks? Obviously it’s better for society as a whole if everyone takes it and let’s the chips fall where they may but there probably will or has been people who died from the vaccine that would not have died from COVID.

There are myriad variables to be considered and now we've screwed around long enough (and have kept our borders open and even bused unvaccinated illegal aliens to cities all across the U.S.) to have to factor in at least two (and possibly/probably more) new Variants that will have to be factored in and dealt with...

The Delta and Lambda Varients are different animals than the variants we thought we finally had a handle on.

Thanks to our inability to approach the problem using basic common sense (as in: shut down all international borders And air travel until the population is 75 -80 % safe) we are where we are...: people Under the age of 60 now appear to be headed towards a Much higher degree of risk (including children this time around) ...

Much like last year, we'll know how deep a hole we are really in by mid-October...

Last edited:
Unvaccinated people serve as hosts for the virus which is a very weird and dangerous one (thanks China) that mutates into new more dangerous variants. They are selfish people who think they know more than experts. If everyone were vaccinated, this thing would be over in short order. It’s time to force the issue with these people.

Reactions: UncleMark
Unvaccinated people serve as hosts for the virus which is a very weird and dangerous one (thanks China) that mutates into new more dangerous variants. They are selfish people who think they know more than experts. If everyone were vaccinated, this thing would be over in short order. It’s time to force the issue with these people.
Actually, even the vaccinated can be carriers... 😣

The Delta Varient is essentially a new animal...

Last edited:
There are myriad variables to be considered and now we've screwed around long enough (and have kept our borders open and even bused unvaccinated illegal aliens to cities all across the U.S.) to have to factor in at least two (and possibly/probably more) new Variants that will have to be factored in and dealt with...

The Delta and Lambda Varients are different animals than the variants we thought we finally had a handle on.

Thanks to our inability to approach the problem using basic common sense (as in: shut down all international borders And air travel until the population is 75 -80 % safe) we are where we are...: people Under the age of 60 now appear to be headed towards a Much higher degree of risk (including children this time around) ...

Much like last year, we'll know how deep a hole we are really in by mid-October...
I don’t think it’s been proven whatsoever this strain is any deadlier. The reason the young are being hospitalized is because they have room for them now. I know some people who were extremely ill around my age back last time around but they were told to ride it out at home because the hospitals were full of sick, old people.

now that I think of it, even my 78 year uncle was one they sent home. Gave him an O2 finger meter and said don’t come back unless it goes under 85. He was extremely ill for 2-3 weeks with the O2 in the mid 80’s.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
I don’t think it’s been proven whatsoever this strain is any deadlier. The reason the young are being hospitalized is because they have room for them now. I know some people who were extremely ill around my age back last time around but they were told to ride it out at home because the hospitals were full of sick, old people.

Check this out:

Now that's an NBC affiliate out of Chicago (which most certainly means it can't have a conservative slant)... The really weird thing about that particular bit of news is that it wasn't picked up nationally...(at least not back on 7/21)...

Last edited:
I would like to compliment all of you for being respectful to each other and keeping the name-calling/insults to a minimum, but it has strayed pretty far from just IU football vs. Covid so I think it is time to put the thread to bed. We've heard from both sides, lets move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT