ADVERTISEMENT

The dust has settled on the weekend action in the B1G....

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
We got some help today when MSU beat Mich (23-12) as the Wolverines fall two games behind us in the loss column. Neb (22-11) split today by losing to us and then beating Rutgers, 15-5, as they remain a full game behind us. No need to post conference standings until after tomorrow's game between Neb and Rutgers, which would affect the standings for 2nd place if Neb loses. I don't know what it is about playing the Huskers this weekend that has brought out the worst in IU and Rutgers when it comes to fielding. Rutgers, who tied Neb with 12 hits this afternoon, committed five errors in the game to match the number of errors we committed against the Huskers on Saturday. We had another error in our win today over the Huskers to make it six errors in our two games combined with them. So far, IU and Rutgers have committed 11 errors combined in the three games that both teams have played with them. With a game tomorrow against the Huskers, that total could grow for Rutgers.

Last edited:
We got some help today when MSU beat Mich (23-12) as the Wolverines fall two games behind us in the loss column. Neb (22-11) split today by losing to us and then beating Rutgers, 15-5, as they remain a full game behind us. No need to post conference standings until after tomorrow's game between Neb and Rutgers, which would affect the standings for 2nd place if Neb loses. I don't know what it is about playing the Huskers this weekend that has brought out the worst in IU and Rutgers when it comes to fielding. Rutgers, who tied Neb with 12 hits this afternoon, committed five errors in the game to match the number of errors we committed against the Huskers on Saturday. We had another error in our win today over the Huskers to make it six errors in our two games combined with them. So far, IU and Rutgers have committed 11 errors combined in the three games that both teams have played with them. With a game tomorrow against the Huskers, that total could grow for Rutgers.
I'm just speculating, but I wouldn't be surprised if the offensive pressure applied by Nebraska affects the infield defense. First, they have a scary lineup from top to bottom.

Then, when they get on base they're aggressive. In that first game they had 6--SIX-- stolen bases, virtually all of them unchallenged. I think that shakes the confidence of the defense, especially inexperienced players--passed balls, muffed pickoffs, hurried throws, etc.

I'm just speculating, but I wouldn't be surprised if the offensive pressure applied by Nebraska affects the infield defense. First, they have a scary lineup from top to bottom.

Then, when they get on base they're aggressive. In that first game they had 6--SIX-- stolen bases, virtually all of them unchallenged. I think that shakes the confidence of the defense, especially inexperienced players--passed balls, muffed pickoffs, hurried throws, etc.
Exactly my thoughts. Nebraska isn't as talented as IU, but they play an aggressive offense that puts all kinds of pressure on the defense. They are good bunters (for base hits or sacs), good base runners, good hit and run game, etc. All in all, I really like the way they play. We'd be well-served to learn something from them. And I sure as hell don't mean stupid aggressive either. I hate we get picked off with no intention of running. I hate we can't bunt at all. I hate we rarely steal. It's unbelievable we have to have 4 singles to score. There's just a lot of simple baseball plays we aren't very good at. My hope is our young guys will develop in those areas. But all in all, the fact is obvious, we have talented players that can hit, can field, and can win. We just need to make it harder for the other teams to take advantage of our youth. First place is first place. I like it.

One other thing when it comes to Nebraska is that they are a veteran team with their starting lineup being dominated by upperclassmen, and one would think they are farther along on fundamentals than a lot of their opponents. Against us on Sunday, they had five seniors, three juniors, and one freshman in the lineup while we primarily start a pretty young team, often starting five freshmen. You are probably right about the Huskers putting pressure on teams with their baserunning.

Reactions: mk23 and Irregulars
Our pitching has been so good. It's too bad we don't have quite the hitting we had with the 2013 team. We would be a powerhouse with that combination.

It seems like a few things have been going on.....,...

Richardson & Ashley have been good, but not great (for them). As examples Ashley only has 5 doubles for the year, Richardson 4 HRs.

Also, it took awhile for Kip to replace Fucci at 1st. Fucci has always struck out too much in college....Also, going forward Espalin will be a better offensive player than was Grant M. He's only hitting .158 right now, but he also has 11 BBs v. only 38 ABs.

Another factor is that neither Murrison nor Jesse were ready to be full-time players. Then Van Pelt was a stop-gap guy. It looks like Vecrumba might be ready to take over that spot in the line-up.

Finally. for 2/3 of the year Hopkins hit below his potential....now in the last 1/3 or so he's probably over-achieving, but maybe he can keep it up as it's his last year. Man, I'm not sure what happened to Southern. He tore it up batting-wise in the summer league but did nothing here. That was disappointing.

I sure miss the days of the Kyle Schwarber/Sam Travis combo terrorizing opposing pitching. That combo may be a once in a generation duo for us.
I hear what you're saying. I'm an oldster, but new to IU baseball. I just started attending games during the Schwarber era. I got used to thinking the Hoosiers could always outslug any opponent.

Gotta learn patience...like with the basketball team. They're college kids.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT