ADVERTISEMENT

The Duke game just got tougher

IU Scott

Hall of Famer
Jun 28, 2014
Greenfield Indiana
Marvin Bagley Jr. the top ranked recruit for 2018 just reclassified and is headed to Duke. He will be the 5th top 100 recruit in Duke's 2017 class.

Maybe we should go back to playing Liberty & MVSU... wouldn't want to hurt our reputation & history....

... ancient history that is....

Reactions: kkott
There's no guarantee he gains eligibility.
Ok. Do you really think Duke will take this guy and he won't be eligible? I can't recall any Duke players being declared ineligible. That's an incredible class they have coming in. Probably rivals Kentucky's best.

Ok. Do you really think Duke will take this guy and he won't be eligible? I can't recall any Duke players being declared ineligible. That's an incredible class they have coming in. Probably rivals Kentucky's best.

Are you assuming I meant grades? I'm pointing out that he recently decided to reclassify from 2018 to 2017. He has to get approval from the NCAA for that. At this point he's not eligible to play.

Marvin Bagley Jr. the top ranked recruit for 2018 just reclassified and is headed to Duke. He will be the 5th top 100 recruit in Duke's 2017 class.

Kentucky brought their super class into Assembly Hall and got beat. We may lose but I am fairly confident playing anyone in Assembly Hall.

Reactions: HOOS13R
Never said I did not want to play them but just bringing news about Bagley

I'm just gracious to have the opportunity to play them... I say bring them on... & Bagley too... it could be defining moment for CAM... the right game plan... the right combination & substitution of players at the right times... anyone else gonna miss the hockey substitution - momentum killing method that IU's previous coach exercised?... me neither... if we get a run going... keep it going until we bury them... I'm starting to get pumped about seeing what CAM can do...

I'm pointing out that he recently decided to reclassify from 2018 to 2017. He has to get approval from the NCAA for that. At this point he's not eligible to play.
How is that? If he's got the credits and grades in the core classes and has officially graduated, what more approval does he need?

How is that? If he's got the credits and grades in the core classes and has officially graduated, what more approval does he need?
NCAA Clearinghouse
Yes, but that applies to everyone. Him reclassifying shouldn't make any difference as long as all the boxes are checked, just like everyone else.

Maybe I misread it, but the other poster seemed to imply that this kid would be under some kind of special scrutiny.

Yes, but that applies to everyone. Him reclassifying shouldn't make any difference as long as all the boxes are checked, just like everyone else.

Maybe I misread it, but the other poster seemed to imply that this kid would be under some kind of special scrutiny.
I think what he is alluding to is that the NCAA clearinghouse has to be able to get to his paperwork . They have a ton of kids that are going to have to be processed. Bagley's coming in on the tail end of all that.

I think what he is alluding to is that the NCAA clearinghouse has to be able to get to his paperwork . They have a ton of kids that are going to have to be processed. Bagley's coming in on the tail end of all that.
Fair enough. The way I interpreted the post, rightly or wrongly, was that his reclassifying made his eligibility more subject to question than any other regular high school senior. Yes, I get that he's going to be way down the list at this late date.

Surely the kid can enroll in classes and practice, can't he?

Fair enough. The way I interpreted the post, rightly or wrongly, was that his reclassifying made his eligibility more subject to question than any other regular high school senior. Yes, I get that he's going to be way down the list at this late date.

Surely the kid can enroll in classes and practice, can't he?
Yes, he can enroll, take classes and practice.

And I'll bet anyone a beer right now the kid does get cleared by the time Duke's season starts.

Yes, he can enroll, take classes and practice.

And I'll bet anyone a beer right now the kid does get cleared by the time Duke's season starts.
Anyone thinking he has not crossed his "t"s and dotted his"i"s before reclassifying is just silly. He will be ready to play when Duke's season begins.

Anyone thinking he has not crossed his "t"s and dotted his"i"s before reclassifying is just silly. He will be ready to play when Duke's season begins.
I did see this morning that he still has to submit his transcript and his classes will need to be approved. Which is all true - but, again, I can't imagine this kid being held up. Playing for South Dakota St. maybe; no way playing for Coach K.

Are you assuming I meant grades? I'm pointing out that he recently decided to reclassify from 2018 to 2017. He has to get approval from the NCAA for that. At this point he's not eligible to play.
It's Duke. Consider it a done deal. And by the way, if the kid was going to KY instead of Duke you'd all be going crazy about how Calipari cheats. Yet not one word about Coach K. Amazing!

It's Duke. Consider it a done deal. And by the way, if the kid was going to KY instead of Duke you'd all be going crazy about how Calipari cheats. Yet not one word about Coach K. Amazing!

Uhhh, you do know that IU has a kid that will arrive on campus this week that reclassified, right?

I think this is going to become fairly common. It will allow the elite players to start getting paid a year earlier, an appropriate F you to the NBA rule.

It also calls into question the age old education structure of 4 years of HS and 4 years of college.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
Uhhh, you do know that IU has a kid that will arrive on campus this week that reclassified, right?

I think this is going to become fairly common. It will allow the elite players to start getting paid a year earlier, an appropriate F you to the NBA rule.

It also calls into question the age old education structure of 4 years of HS and 4 years of college.
Scott mentioned that the kid has to get eligible. I was saying that I don't think that's a big issue, especially since it's Duke.

Nice reach there. Feel free to guess at whatever you like. Doesn't make any of it true.

Nice reach there. Feel free to guess at whatever you like. Doesn't make any of it true.
Lots of posters complain about Calipari. How many complain about K? I think that is true. And they're both getting lots of one and done players now. You honestly don't think this board would have lighted up with Calipari comments had that kid reclassified and committed to KY?

Lots of posters complain about Calipari. How many complain about K? I think that is true. And they're both getting lots of one and done players now. You honestly don't think this board would have lighted up with Calipari comments had that kid reclassified and committed to KY?

"Lit." I have no idea. What has K ever done at Duke that compares to Rose cheating on his SAT and Bledsoe getting the Algebra 3 grade change? When I hear some stories like those about K, maybe my opinion would change. Just getting one and dones doesn't mean that the coach is dirty. I don't think Cal cheats all the time. I'm not even sure if he cheats at all because he has intermediaries do it for him.

Reactions: IUBBALLAWOL
Wasn't that basically what Diallo did?

"Lit." I have no idea. What has K ever done at Duke that compares to Rose cheating on his SAT and Bledsoe getting the Algebra 3 grade change? When I hear some stories like those about K, maybe my opinion would change. Just getting one and dones doesn't mean that the coach is dirty. I don't think Cal cheats all the time. I'm not even sure if he cheats at all because he has intermediaries do it for him.
What did Cal have to do with Rose and his SAT in Detroit over 600 miles away? Do you think Cal wore a fake mustache and went in and took the test for him? Do you think Cal found another kid to take it for him? I mean seriously, what do you think his involvement was?

Don't forget IU was heavily involved with Rose and would've accepted his SAT as well. But no...it's all Cal and his cheating ways. Give me a break.

What did Cal have to do with Rose and his SAT in Detroit over 600 miles away? Do you think Cal wore a fake mustache and went in and took the test for him? Do you think Cal found another kid to take it for him? I mean seriously, what do you think his involvement was?

Don't forget IU was heavily involved with Rose and would've accepted his SAT as well. But no...it's all Cal and his cheating ways. Give me a break.

Haha. OK. Name me another coach that has had a player get accused of something like that? They forfeited all 38 wins from that season too. Also, WWW is from Detroit. Coincidence? At that point Cal had already publicly called WWW a "goodwill ambassador" to the Memphis program. And he was never coming to IU.

Haha. OK. Name me another coach that has had a player get accused of something like that? They forfeited all 38 wins from that season too. Also, WWW is from Detroit. Coincidence? At that point Cal had already publicly called WWW a "goodwill ambassador" to the Memphis program. And he was never coming to IU.
We were absolutely a legitimate contender for Rose. He and Gordon were good friends and talked regularly about playing together in college. You must not have been around back then. This is pretty basic.

And kids get caught cheating on the SAT/ACT literally every year. It was a big issue because it was Derek Rose and they just went to the title game. And the Cal effect.

We were absolutely a legitimate contender for Rose. He and Gordon were good friends and talked regularly about playing together in college. You must not have been around back then. This is pretty basic.

And kids get caught cheating on the SAT/ACT literally every year. It was a big issue because it was Derek Rose and they just went to the title game. And the Cal effect.

OK. I get it. You're trolling. You can't be that lacking of knowledge here can you? Yes EG and Rose played on the same AAU team and were buddies. He was never close to coming to IU. Just because we made his final 5 means simply that, we were in his final 5. We were never close to being his choice. You must not have been around then? Sampson tried hard but he'd already been courted by WWW and was heading to play for Cal at Memphis. This was being acknowledged on this very site by Peegs himself in chats.

Also, I love how you just casually drive by the fact that WWW (and that's World Wide Wes in case you're not following) lives in Detroit where "Rose" takes his SAT after failing the ACT 3 times. That Cal and WWW are bestie is extremely well documented. Do you know many people that drove 5 hours away from home to take their SAT? Me neither

OK. I get it. You're trolling. You can't be that lacking of knowledge here can you? Yes EG and Rose played on the same AAU team and were buddies. He was never close to coming to IU. Just because we made his final 5 means simply that, we were in his final 5. We were never close to being his choice. You must not have been around then? Sampson tried hard but he'd already been courted by WWW and was heading to play for Cal at Memphis. This was being acknowledged on this very site by Peegs himself in chats.

Also, I love how you just casually drive by the fact that WWW (and that's World Wide Wes in case you're not following) lives in Detroit where "Rose" takes his SAT after failing the ACT 3 times. That Cal and WWW are bestie is extremely well documented. Do you know many people that drove 5 hours away from home to take their SAT? Me neither
I don't get your point. You can say the same thing about any recruit who didn't pick a particular school. The bottom line is IU wanted Rose...BAD. And would've accepted his false sat score. That's all that matters. So let's not act holier than thou now that we know it was a fraud.

I don't get your point. You can say the same thing about any recruit who didn't pick a particular school. The bottom line is IU wanted Rose...BAD. And would've accepted his false sat score. That's all that matters. So let's not act holier than thou now that we know it was a fraud.

You're an idiot. WWW didn't help him cheat on his SAT so he could go to IU. Quit embarrassing yourself

Reactions: IUBBALLAWOL
And yet Cal had a second FF vacated. I am sure that was just a coincidence. He is not the angel some want and try to portray.

You're an idiot. WWW didn't help him cheat on his SAT so he could go to IU. Quit embarrassing yourself
Doesn't change the fact the we offered and wanted Rose. Calipari was never linked to Rose and the fake SAT. The FF was vacated because Rose was ineligible. Calipari himself has never been implicated in any wrongdoings...with Camby or Rose. Those are the true facts.

Doesn't change the fact the we offered and wanted Rose. Calipari was never linked to Rose and the fake SAT. The FF was vacated because Rose was ineligible. Calipari himself has never been implicated in any wrongdoings...with Camby or Rose. Those are the true facts.

Cal also had to vacate both final 4's and vacate every single victory that those 2 players took part in. Those are facts too. No coach in NCAA history has had to vacate 2 final 4"s. Also a fact. Of course Cal was never implicated in Rose's SAT fraud. He was in Memphis at the time. What could he be implicated with? That said, his "goodwill ambassador" for Memphis lives in Detroit where Rose's SAT fraud was committed. In case you were curious I'll go ahead and let you know that there were countless other cities that Rose could've traveled to in order to take his SAT again. Many were very close by. Instead he chose to go 6 hours away to Detroit? Where WWW was located? In my original post I stated that Cal probably doesn't cheat because he's smart enough to have others do those things for him. That degree of separation, Cal didn't personally pay Camby and Cal didn't personally help Rose commit fraud, is what keeps him safe from the NCAA coming down on him. Instead all the NCAA can do is completely remove the seasons in question from the record books and make them vacate their final 4's. Nothing to see there though. Right?

Finally of course IU offered and wanted Rose. I've said that multiple times. However, IU was never being seriously considered by Rose. Peegs reported that IU was not an option in chat more than once. It was always well known that he was going to play for Cal at Memphis. Maybe you didn't have a premie membership back then?

Cal also had to vacate both final 4's and vacate every single victory that those 2 players took part in. Those are facts too. No coach in NCAA history has had to vacate 2 final 4"s. Also a fact. Of course Cal was never implicated in Rose's SAT fraud. He was in Memphis at the time. What could he be implicated with? That said, his "goodwill ambassador" for Memphis lives in Detroit where Rose's SAT fraud was committed. In case you were curious I'll go ahead and let you know that there were countless other cities that Rose could've traveled to in order to take his SAT again. Many were very close by. Instead he chose to go 6 hours away to Detroit? Where WWW was located? In my original post I stated that Cal probably doesn't cheat because he's smart enough to have others do those things for him. That degree of separation, Cal didn't personally pay Camby and Cal didn't personally help Rose commit fraud, is what keeps him safe from the NCAA coming down on him. Instead all the NCAA can do is completely remove the seasons in question from the record books and make them vacate their final 4's. Nothing to see there though. Right?

Finally of course IU offered and wanted Rose. I've said that multiple times. However, IU was never being seriously considered by Rose. Peegs reported that IU was not an option in chat more than once. It was always well known that he was going to play for Cal at Memphis. Maybe you didn't have a premie membership back then?
First off, who listens to Peegs? Those guys have been wrong 90% of the time since that site started. So I put no credibility there.

As for Camby, why in the world would Cal pay him? Cal developed him into a star. He took money from a NBA agent his last year in college. What would Cal owe him? And for the record Camby felt so bad for hurting Cal and UMASS that he paid the school back for the fine it took. Watch the 30 for 30 on Cal and Camby's relationship.

I certainly understand the Rose connection. Maybe he knew, maybe he didn't. We may never know. But I can assure you Cal had nothing to do with Camby taking money. He had nothing to gain and everything to lose.

First off, who listens to Peegs? Those guys have been wrong 90% of the time since that site started. So I put no credibility there.

As for Camby, why in the world would Cal pay him? Cal developed him into a star. He took money from a NBA agent his last year in college. What would Cal owe him? And for the record Camby felt so bad for hurting Cal and UMASS that he paid the school back for the fine it took. Watch the 30 for 30 on Cal and Camby's relationship.

I certainly understand the Rose connection. Maybe he knew, maybe he didn't. We may never know. But I can assure you Cal had nothing to do with Camby taking money. He had nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Hahaha. Peegs used to get really good intel back in the day. Stuff used to break on here all the time, then it started to go downhill. In the chats he used to drop good info regularly. Of course this was like 6-7 years ago. There also used to be more well connected posters here then too. Then he decided that his access to IU was more important than anything else and he had nothing. I haven't been a premie member of any board for at least 5 years. Twitter breaks it faster than these sites can now.

ADVERTISEMENT