ADVERTISEMENT

The documentary about IU winning the 1976 NCAA championship in basketball is on at 2:00 this afternoon. It also

McNutt76

Hall of Famer
Sep 1, 2001
was on earlier today and I watched it.

The documentary brought back some fond memories because it was my senior year at IU and I was close to a lot of the players. I remember my girlfriend (now my wife of 44+ years) and I going back to Columbus to watch the game on television at my parents' house because I had some tests the next day and was worried I would be kept up all night at McNutt Quad.

It was sad to see Bobby Wilkerson get injured early in the game and not be able to play after the injury. A Michigan player elbowed him in the head and it looked like he did it intentionally. Of course, refs could not review incidents in those days.

I picked up my girlfriend at her parents' home the next morning and we returned to the IU campus. We then attended the events that honored Bob Knight and his players later that day.

My all-time favorite year was 1976. I accepted a job as sports editor at Greenfield a few weeks before the Final Four. Of course, I wouldn't begin my job until after I graduated that May.

A few weeks after starting my first job out of college, my girlfriend and I got married and she moved in with me at Greenfield after our wedding. I covered IU football and the World Series (Yankees versus Reds) later that fall and then I won the Hoosier State Press Association's "Best Sports Reporting" award in November of 1976.

Obviously, the documentary brought back some wonderful memories from 1976 when I watched it today. In fact, it almost reduced me to tears.

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT