ADVERTISEMENT

The Constitution

Fortunately, those who define patriotism this way are a much smaller group. You look at the poll numbers and the vast majority think we're opening up too soon.

Try yelling fire in a crowded theater and see what happens. Your Constitutional rights end once you put others in danger. I can't understand the argument that your rights are more important than your neighbor's life.

I think it's easy to say it's an overreaction, because the death toll isn't near the projected worst case scenarios, but what if we didn't have the shutdown, what would the death toll be? What if we had 200,000 deaths in 8 weeks and a million+ in 6 months? I think those saying it's overreaction is because the shutdown and social distancing has worked and the death toll has not ballooned to huge numbers.

This is some sort of sarcasm right?

Why should I stay home?,

I feel fine.

Heck, why should I be afraid.? I must be immune as others in my household have been really sick. .

This post isn't the real Hoot.

Instead it is an attempt to post as if I were one of those millions of asymptomatic carriers who are free to infect others.

Cannot really blame them as without being tested they don't realize they can harm or even kill others.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Give it time. If you look at the national graph, it looks like it's leveling off. If you look at the graph of NYC, you'll see it's on a downward slope. But if you look at the national graph without NYC, it's still climbing at a relatively linear rate.
Correction:

The graphs I describe above reflect new cases, not deaths.

This post isn't the real Hoot.

Instead it is an attempt to post as if I were one of those millions of asymptomatic carriers who are free to infect others.

Cannot really blame them as without being tested they don't realize they can harm or even kill others.

If your scared stay home

It isn't the scared which concerns me who limit their activities or stay at home. It is those carriers who don't realize they can harm others about whom I am concerned.

That should be part of your calculus when deciding whether to stay home or not. Danger lurks outside of your door, it always has and always will.

That should be part of your calculus when deciding whether to stay home or not. Danger lurks outside of your door, it always has and always will.

SK, within the past couple of weeks my fellow Cooler posters warned me against being careless when I described a neighborhood porch party which I attended. .

Without being tested, I may be one of those symptomatic carriers about whom I am concerned.

Went grocery shopping today and the store was packed with customers. If I was all that scared, I would have had the groceries delivered. Who knows, I may have contacted the virus today.

Whatever will be, will be.

Be safe SK, hope I am not wasting my time chatting with a troll.

Last edited:

Ultimately, there's no way around this. But we could have done better with competent leadership overseeing a robust testing and tracing program.

I meant why don't more people agree with you that their rights are being infringed?

But doesn't your answer, address your OP? People aren't staying home because the government told them to, (aka their rights aren't being infringed upon)they're staying home out of self preservation...or fear.

I meant why don't more people agree with you that their rights are being infringed?

But doesn't your answer, address your OP? People aren't staying home because the government told them to, (aka their rights aren't being infringed upon)they're staying home out of self preservation...or fear.

They are staying home because government has forced shit downs of everything that’s not a hospital or grocery store. They have been forced, by the government, to stay home.

Come on

You seem like a smart guy, certainly I don’t need to explain the difference.
The difference between WWII and Covid 19?

Is it that WWII only killed 407,000 Americans, but Covid will probably pass that before basketball tips off?

They are staying home because government has forced shit downs of everything that’s not a hospital or grocery store. They have been forced, by the government, to stay home.

Come on
Then why isn't there more outrage? If you are correct and people are being forced to stay in against their will, why aren't more people joining your cause? Why aren't more people sharing their outrage in this thread? And why did you answer "fear", the first time I asked?

I think more people are afraid, and therefore are voluntarily abiding by the government's "orders". Hence, there isn't much outrage.

Then why isn't there more outrage? If you are correct and people are being forced to stay in against their will, why aren't more people joining your cause? Why aren't more people sharing their outrage in this thread? And why did you answer "fear", the first time I asked?

I think more people are afraid, and therefore are voluntarily abiding by the government's "orders". Hence, there isn't much outrage.

That’s the sad commentary of the whole thing. So many have been brainwashed.

What many don’t understand is that upholding the basic principles of the constitution is more important than life or death. Right now it seems trivial. But it isn’t. The framers would be spinning in their graves if they knew private businesses were being forced, by the government to shut down, amongst many other blatant violations of basic constitutional provisions, simply because people are getting sick.

The right to worship, freedom of assembly and travel are more important than life or death. If they aren’t, then a crisis can always be manufactured in ordered to violate those rights.

The fifth amendment is being raped in full public view and no one seems to care.

It’s really quite sad so many willfully follow the orders of the powers that be

That's not even rational. I respect people who need to get back to work. No respect for. stupid bravado.

It’s not your right and my comment was in jest.

It’s not about needing or not needing. It’s about having the ability to or not. And if not who is making you unable?

That’s the sad commentary of the whole thing. So many have been brainwashed.

What many don’t understand is that upholding the basic principles of the constitution is more important than life or death. Right now it seems trivial. But it isn’t. The framers would be spinning in their graves if they knew private businesses were being forced, by the government to shut down, amongst many other blatant violations of basic constitutional provisions, simply because people are getting sick.

The right to worship, freedom of assembly and travel are more important than life or death. If they aren’t, then a crisis can always be manufactured in ordered to violate those rights.

The fifth amendment is being raped in full public view and no one seems to care.

It’s really quite sad so many willfully follow the orders of the powers that be
Do you have anyone that is at a higher risk of dying from this virus?

Do you have anyone that is at a higher risk of dying from this virus?

Yep.

Step mother has COPD and step father has pace maker.

They have made their decisions to withdraw from certain aspects of society until more is known.

We speak on the phone very frequently and see each other through driveway conversations. I respect their decision to do what is best for them based on their condition and do what I can to help.

It is their right to do what is best for them, as it should be everyone’s right.

Reactions: IUJIM
Yep.

Step mother has COPD and step father has pace maker.

They have made their decisions to withdraw from certain aspects of society until more is known.

We speak on the phone very frequently and see each other through driveway conversations. I respect their decision to do what is best for them based on their condition and do what I can to help.

It is their right to do what is best for them, as it should be everyone’s right.
I certainly wish them the best.

If you don't mind me asking, what are they going to do about going back to work?

Edit: Or what about your mom and dad? Are they afraid to go back to work, and possibly bring it home to your step parents? How are they going to manage that?

Is it that incredible? What was the home front like during WWII? Food was rationed, clothes were just about illegal to sell, fuel was strictly rationed. Along coasts people were required to follow blackout rules.
Your surely not comparing this to WWII??

We now see a president's valet has tested positive. When we discuss opening up but locking high risk people down, this shows how very tough that would be.
Many on the medical side disagree with this viewpoint. And, many nursing homes (my Mom’s included) have done a tremendous job quarantining.

Not to speak for Marvin, who can surely speak for himself, but he clearly isn't "comparing" the two. Rather, he was offering WWII as an example of people voluntarily accepting restrictions far more onerous than the ones Stelio calls "mind-blowing."
And, again it’s a terrible analogy.

And, again it’s a terrible analogy.
It's not an analogy. It was a point of reference for illustrating that Stelio's labeling of the current situation as "mind-blowing" was ridiculous. What people voluntarily accepted during WWII was far more restrictive than what they are accepting now. So there's no reason to have one's "mind blown" that they are doing so.

Where exactly are people being forced to stay home?

Seems you are complaining that certain businesses aren't allowed to open.... which is a different discussion. But the govt isn't welding our doors shut.

Reactions: Neves and hoosboot
It’s not your right and my comment was in jest.

It’s not about needing or not needing. It’s about having the ability to or not. And if not who is making you unable?
The same people who build your roads and educate your kids. Your community.

Come on

Please quit spreading lies.

It's not an analogy. It was a point of reference for illustrating that Stelio's labeling of the current situation as "mind-blowing" was ridiculous. What people voluntarily accepted during WWII was far more restrictive than what they are accepting now. So there's no reason to have one's "mind blown" that they are doing so.
Would “apples and oranges” work for you?

This guy seems to be a lot of outrage with very little thinking.

This is obviously a bizarre situation, without precedent. Rather than a general recession where all economic activity slows down, and the pain is more broadly felt.....we have a scenario where the entire brunt is being placed entirely on certain sectors. While others can continue on doing just as well... or in some cases even better.

It's not a normal economic response to a "bubble".. or some other broad market correction....but rather a govt dictate + consumer fear response.

So I'm not surprised there are certain segments of the population that feel expressly targeted and that are feeling a ton of pain.

This is obviously a bizarre situation, without precedent. Rather than a general recession where all economic activity slows down, and the pain is more broadly felt.....we have a scenario where the entire brunt is being placed entirely on certain sectors. While others can continue on doing just as well... or in some cases even better.

It's not a normal economic response to a "bubble".. or some other broad market correction....but rather a govt dictate + consumer fear response.

So I'm not surprised there are certain segments of the population that feel expressly targeted and that are feeling a ton of pain.

Let me give you a real life example. I have a client who operates a retail meat market where he processes much of the meat he sells. Except for a few days he has had to close to restock, he’s had lines wrapped around his store and into the parking lot of an adjacent business. The last two months have most likely generated sales like he’s never seen in the history of his store.

The business next door is a retail store that sells Amish made furniture and a gift shop. It’s not “essential”. The owner is in panic about the survival of her business as she watches her parking lot filled with cars and people lined up in her parking lot to patronize her neighbor’s business.

I’d like the powers to be explain to her why her non essential business is okay to die.

So the rationing and wage controls of World War Two was unconstitutional?

I would agree internship was unconstitutional but note the umpire called it constitutional.

Many cities and states shut down businesses and required masks during the Spanish Flu. Again the umpire never stopped it.

DuringvWW2 we had two egregious acts passed, and both were agaon ruled constitutional by the Supreme umpire. Though reading the Wiki, a case called Brandenburg in1969 might mean the Supreme umpire has changed its mind. It might not since we know how Supreme umpires are.

And of course we let Lincoln rip the document up.

Many of us felt waterboarding violated the Constitution.

We have a long history of saying we can suspend the document whenever it is convenient. Heck, John Adams did that while most the authors were alive. Jefferson believed he lacked the legal authority to make the Louisiana Purchase but went ahead and did it.

Going by the theory that a strike is what the umpire says it is, the umpire clearly allows us to suspend.

Let me give you a real life example. I have a client who operates a retail meat market where he processes much of the meat he sells. Except for a few days he has had to close to restock, he’s had lines wrapped around his store and into the parking lot of an adjacent business. The last two months have most likely generated sales like he’s never seen in the history of his store.

The business next door is a retail store that sells Amish made furniture and a gift shop. It’s not “essential”. The owner is in panic about the survival of her business as she watches her parking lot filled with cars and people lined up in her parking lot to patronize her neighbor’s business.

I’d like the powers to be explain to her why her non essential business is okay to die.

ALL business is essential

Reactions: stollcpa
Our UPS driver says he's buried. Says it feels like the Christmas season. Normally they have ~35 drivers running out of the Bton terminal this time of year, now they have 60.

Reactions: Scott S
Where exactly are people being forced to stay home?

Seems you are complaining that certain businesses aren't allowed to open.... which is a different discussion. But the govt isn't welding our doors shut.
It's easier scream Freedom! and Liberate! based on the Bill of Rights than it is on the Commerce Clause.

Reactions: hoosboot
ADVERTISEMENT