ADVERTISEMENT

The Constitution

Is it that incredible? What was the home front like during WWII? Food was rationed, clothes were just about illegal to sell, fuel was strictly rationed. Along coasts people were required to follow blackout rules.
"Patriotism" has a whole different meaning nowadays. Now it's all about the individual, not the country as a whole.

I always liked McCain's "Country First" slogan. Too bad so few people find it worthwhile.

Is it that incredible? What was the home front like during WWII? Food was rationed, clothes were just about illegal to sell, fuel was strictly rationed. Along coasts people were required to follow blackout rules.

You seem like a smart guy, certainly I don’t need to explain the difference.

Reactions: stollcpa
I obviously did not live thru that time but I have this eerie feeling that people were more self reliant.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
We now see a president's valet has tested positive. When we discuss opening up but locking high risk people down, this shows how very tough that would be.

Reactions: largemouth
Yes sir but I'm not sure there is a viable alternative.

I somewhat agree. But I think distancing and masks help. I was just hearing that only one person in the West Wing wears a mask.

If we do not want the government to shut down business, should we not voluntarily social distance, wear masks, wash our hands? If people will not do that, and there are people on this board saying they refuse those precautions, the alternatives are very bad.

Reactions: Digressions
I somewhat agree. But I think distancing and masks help. I was just hearing that only one person in the West Wing wears a mask.

If we do not want the government to shut down business, should we not voluntarily social distance, wear masks, wash our hands? If people will not do that, and there are people on this board saying they refuse those precautions, the alternatives are very bad.
Distancing and hygiene help with lowering transmission of most infections.
Personally, I would attend an outside sporting event (baseball, football,golf) tomorrow.
I also understand why some wouldn't.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Distancing and hygiene help with lowering transmission of most infections.
Personally, I would attend an outside sporting event (baseball, football,golf) tomorrow.
I also understand why some wouldn't.

For me, it would depend on the crowd. I wouldn't attend a packed baseball game any more than a movie. But IF Bloomington has their outdoor musical concerts and I can sit 5 feet away from others, I think I would do it (and wear a mask).

Does the Constitution protect us against freedom loving asymptomatic carriers of the virus who can infect us?
No and it doesn't protect you from burglars either or any criminals. That's not what the Constitution does. It protects you and all citizens as well as non-citizens lawfully in the country from the federal government (and by the 14th Amendment from state government) - in brief. It sets out the limits on the powers of the federal government.

Reactions: StelioKantos
You have the right to stay home.

Once again, my constitutional rights do not end the moment your fear begins.

Why should I stay home?,

I feel fine.

Heck, why should I be afraid.? I must be immune as others in my household have been really sick. .

"Patriotism" has a whole different meaning nowadays. Now it's all about the individual, not the country as a whole.

I always liked McCain's "Country First" slogan. Too bad so few people find it worthwhile.
Fortunately, those who define patriotism this way are a much smaller group. You look at the poll numbers and the vast majority think we're opening up too soon.
You have the right to stay home.

Once again, my constitutional rights do not end the moment your fear begins.
Try yelling fire in a crowded theater and see what happens. Your Constitutional rights end once you put others in danger. I can't understand the argument that your rights are more important than your neighbor's life.

I think it's easy to say it's an overreaction, because the death toll isn't near the projected worst case scenarios, but what if we didn't have the shutdown, what would the death toll be? What if we had 200,000 deaths in 8 weeks and a million+ in 6 months? I think those saying it's overreaction is because the shutdown and social distancing has worked and the death toll has not ballooned to huge numbers.

I think it's easy to say it's an overreaction, because the death toll isn't near the projected worst case scenarios, but what if we didn't have the shutdown, what would the death toll be? What if we had 200,000 deaths in 8 weeks and a million+ in 6 months? I think those saying it's overreaction is because the shutdown and social distancing has worked and the death toll has not ballooned to huge numbers.
Give it time. If you look at the national graph, it looks like it's leveling off. If you look at the graph of NYC, you'll see it's on a downward slope. But if you look at the national graph without NYC, it's still climbing at a relatively linear rate.\

Correction: The graphs referred to above reflect new cases, not deaths.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT