ADVERTISEMENT

The Cleveland Guardians

The country is closely divided. There’s one big problem. Those on the left want power without majority. They will resort and have resorted to silencing the opposition. They have no problem controlling us just like communist dictators do and have done.
And what do the Right want? Don't leave that half out.

Books can be written about this. What role government should play in our lives is one way to look at it. The more I observe about current events, the more I think the larger question is what role should we play in our own lives. We have gotten to the point where we describe all people of color as marginalized and oppressed and we must therefore provide “equity”. Conversely, traits like self reliance and hard work is part of success is white culture which culture is racist. This different way of seeing people is not only a dominant factor in forming public policy, but is becoming baked into our culture. As more and more people are convinced that their failure to find contentment is the result of being marginalized or oppressed, the more they will look outward to government to provide that instead of looking inward and relying on themselves.
The progressives’ collective voice re redistribution of wealth is running head on into the central tenets of our country’s virtues in self reliance and rugged individualism. Add to this the resentment of some conservatives and the angry wanting to stick it to the man of some liberals and you have a lot of pissed of rudderless people.

Reactions: stollcpa
The country is closely divided. There’s one big problem. Those on the left want power without majority. They will resort and have resorted to silencing the opposition. They have no problem controlling us just like communist dictators do and have done.

And too much of the right is opposed to change when and where change is needed

Reactions: Stuffshot
Washington Football Team is probably a better name that what they will end up calling the team.
Do you have any idea how many teams are named FC or AC or SC?
https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/football-initials-fc-cf-as-ac-etc.21066/
One thing missing in this discussion is why teams are named after Indians. I believe it was out of respect for a fierce enemy in battle. For instance I know at least at one time soldiers would yell, "Geronimo" when they jumped out of airplanes. They weren't making fun of the Indian warrior. They were honoring him. If I am right then why wouldn't it be appropriate for the Washington team to find out which tribe of Indian lived there and name their team after this tribe?

You wrote that "power without majority" is a problem. Good for you.

Do you agree with me that the filibuster should be eliminated? Seems like minority Republicans are using the filibuster an awful lot. That's "power without majority", isn't it?

Books can be written about this. What role government should play in our lives is one way to look at it. The more I observe about current events, the more I think the larger question is what role should we play in our own lives. We have gotten to the point where we describe all people of color as marginalized and oppressed and we must therefore provide “equity”. Conversely, traits like self reliance and hard work is part of success is white culture which culture is racist. This different way of seeing people is not only a dominant factor in forming public policy, but is becoming baked into our culture. As more and more people are convinced that their failure to find contentment is the result of being marginalized or oppressed, the more they will look outward to government to provide that instead of looking inward and relying on themselves.
CoH, certainly you aren't saying "traits like self reliance and hard work" are part of a culture not shared by people of color.

Let us face it, people who are self reliant and hard working fall between the cracks everyday such as when businesses fail and health problems come into play.
Government bankruptcy laws to help folks recover from financial failures ad health care programs such as Medicaid for the less affluent are also part of a our culture.

Feeling oppressed isn't just a people of color feeling as we have white folks among us who are feeling oppressed by being marginalized. Being marginalized by a "woke" culture which has seeped into institutions such as higher learning, the media, and a major political party.

Do you agree with me that the filibuster should be eliminated? Seems like minority Republicans are using the filibuster an awful lot. That's "power without majority", isn't it?

Now that is funny...
Democrats used the filibuster 314 times under Trump according to this. How soon we forget.

Here's what Trump says:

"Can anybody believe that the Cleveland Indians, a storied and cherished baseball franchise since taking the name in 1915, are changing their name to the Guardians? Such a disgrace, and I guarantee that the people who are most angry about it are the many Indians of our Country," Trump said in a statement.

Meanwhile, those "woke" Native Americans of the Lake Erie Native American Council, had this to say:

On Friday, the CLE Indigenous Coalition said, "Today, we stand with our heads held high and full of gratitude to those who came before us in the fight. ... This name change will help create a place where Native American children and their families are valued and fully seen."
"We are pleased the Cleveland baseball team took a comprehensive approach to listen and learn and show it is possible to take steps toward change."

Also:

President Donald Trump denounced the Cleveland team's decision, tweeting that it "was not good news, even for 'Indians.'"
But many tribal members in Montana disagree, arguing that such names and mascots often reinforce harmful stereotypes as they depict Indigenous people as figures of the past.

Those ungrateful people need to go back where they came from.
Trump meant the Indians from India.

And too much of the right is opposed to change when and where change is needed
I would surprise you and others on here on change I am okay with if the other side treats conservatives with respect and give some too.

I am too stubborn to give an inch without at least some respect.

So republicans

So republicans give first, right?

You must be mistaken.... this is a thread to bitch about things.

But to your point.... the rust belt beat down has been overstated. Many of these places bottomed out a couple of decades ago, and many are seeing resurgent economic activity. Places like Pittsburgh are pretty damn decent places to live. Compared to the ultra high COL of the coasts that offer only marginally better employment.

Hell, even Detroit isn't bad these days.

Have you actually looked at the stats? They suggest otherwise.

fredgraph.png

fredgraph.png

fredgraph.png

Im old but you people are nuts`
so if you can have black miss america, black tv chennels, black this and that but thats not racist, im white, never had a slave and dont know anyone that did . so im responsible to take care of you people that hate america . you people need to move on.
This has got to be a troll because no one is really this stupid, right? But just in case you're serious, I'll treat this post with the derision it deserves...

Just looking at Miss America, do you even know that Black women were not allowed to be involved for the first 40+ yrs of the pageant? So a beauty pageant starts in 1921 and Blacks are NOT ALLOWED to be part of it till 1968, and YOUR stupid ass thinks the Black Miss America Pageant is the PROBLEM?

And the 12 months of the year that basically honored white history until the establishment of Black History Month in 1970 aren't enough for you? Instead of 12 months celebrating white History like before there are now "only" 11 for whites and 1 month to specifically recognize Black History and 1 month is too much for you? And unless you're massively trolling, you aren't embarrassed to post such racist drivel in public?

This has got to be a troll because no one is really this stupid, right? But just in case you're serious, I'll treat this post with the derision it deserves...

Just looking at Miss America, do you even know that Black women were not allowed to be involved for the first 40+ yrs of the pageant? So a beauty pageant starts in 1921 and Blacks are NOT ALLOWED to be part of it till 1968, and YOUR stupid ass thinks the Black Miss America Pageant is the PROBLEM?

And the 12 months of the year that basically honored white history until the establishment of Black History Month in 1970 aren't enough for you? Instead of 12 months celebrating white History like before there are now "only" 11 for whites and 1 month to specifically recognize Black History and 1 month is too much for you? And unless you're massively trolling, you aren't embarrassed to post such racist drivel in public?
Look Word Salad Annie, they’re on every commercial what more do you want?

Reactions: Crayfish57
Where has the right asked for people to be banned from social media and silenced for a difference in political opinion?
You posted your opinion about what those on the Left wanted (power without majority, by resorting to silencing the opposition, much like communist dictators).

I merely asked you what the Right wanted.

You responded by giving further examples of what you feel the Left is doing (see above).

Therefore, I must assume that either you don't know what the Right wants, or don't really want to say.

All this, BTW, on a thread in which you lumped Native Americans in with the "woke" Liberals, all over a MLB baseball team changing their name.

So, again, if you can/will...what does the Right want?

You posted your opinion about what those on the Left wanted (power without majority, by resorting to silencing the opposition, much like communist dictators).

I merely asked you what the Right wanted.

You responded by giving further examples of what you feel the Left is doing.

Therefore, I must assume that either you don't know. what the Right wants, or don't really want to say.

All this, BTW, on a thread in which you lumped Native Americans in with the "woke" Liberals, all over a MLB baseball team changing their name.

So, again, if you can/will...what does the Right want?
Want on what?

Want on what?
You are the one who offered your opinion on what the Left wants...in about 1 sentence.
I asked you for the other side of the coin.
What does the Right want?

See below for your original post on the topic of what the Left wants, with the salient point bolded...just in case you forgot.

Here, I'll even provide you with a sentence starter:

"Meanwhile, the Right wants..."

Go.

Back to the more original theme here of names and even if Goat says we don't have any right to speculate on names if we aren't Clevelanders , how he knows where I currently live I have no clue. But for sure no place for speculation about something as serious as a team mascot on a message board by anyone else! Wouldn't Rockers with the R&R Hall of fame made more sense or Hall of Famers since pro football is close by too? I am not a huge fan or anything and guess always grew up with Indians mascot. I don't find it myself nearly as bad as Redskins that was time for a change in my opinion . Goodyear is close by call them the Cleveland Rubbers maybe?

I'm not a Clevelander, but apparently the Guardians are a significant symbol of the city's culture and image. I sure wouldn't appreciate someone who knew little about Fort Wayne telling me the Tin Caps was a bad team name, so I'm not going to pretend I know more than actual Clevelanders on the topic.
This name is horrifically bad and if I were a native American I would be insulted that they dropped a nmae honoring me for that.

• Love
Did they make sure the statues aren’t offensive to democrats?

That will be determined on a random basis and used for political purposes. The statues will be vandalized and anyone defending the statue will be mostly peacefully beaten with a board and their wallet mostly legally taken once they are out on the ground.

Reactions: stollcpa
This name is horrifically bad and if I were a native American I would be insulted that they dropped a nmae honoring me for that.
I can agree on something with you and have a little , granted tiny bit of Native American in me , Redskins needed to go but Indians, Chiefs , Braves I never saw offensive, If a tribal name was used and they objected on college I totally get it some like FSU Seminoles love it.

Where has the right asked for people to be banned from social media and silenced for a difference in political opinion?
Have you ruled out Liz Cheney's situation, or are you just asking because you haven't researched your own question yet?

Be careful...Stoll may call you "woke" for that.
I left GS Warriors out of that too. I would be interested in an actual poll of Native Americans about this. Leave Redskins out , views of using local tribal names and again if they are offended I can agree. Mascots from old teams were not meant to be demeaning . Its a slippery slope that really doesnt matter much in reality does it? I don't think any Native Americans are being denied anything by this or really care and if it is just woke white folks ? The other side is take Native Americans out of something else many may have some pride in but white people know better? This thread should have remained at least somewhat ''fun'' on some better names but we know that cant happen right Bulk?

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
I left GS Warriors out of that too. I would be interested in an actual poll of Native Americans about this. Leave Redskins out , views of using local tribal names and again if they are offended I can agree. Mascots from old teams were not meant to be demeaning . Its a slippery slope that really doesnt matter much in reality does it? I don't think any Native Americans are being denied anything by this or really care and if it is just woke white folks ? The other side is take Native Americans out of something else many may have some pride in but white people know better? This thread should have remained at least somewhat ''fun'' on some better names but we know that cant happen right Bulk?
To be honest, I was not aware of the guardians of traffic statues in Cleveland. Before that, I really did think that they were trying to stay as close as possible to the word "Indian", but now that I know, I kind of like it. It's just a sports team after all.

Here's an interesting story about Pekin, Illinois, and its high school's mascot. Enjoy.

Perception is that it’s the same actors, people, movement behind it. And think of the converse. That how things used to be was better. That this new American isn’t appealing. That the old America was better. Nostalgia. Make America Great Again. Smart marketing. The rub is in the math. How many people subscribe to each opposing view. An argument can be made that the control of wash was decided by 90,000 votes. That evidences a deeply divided country.
Conflating BLM's crusade against Confederate monuments with Native American activists' campaign against sports nicknames...I mean, I'm not saying you're wrong about the reality of what's going on in their minds, especially when combined with all that "Good ol' days" stuff, but...well, it's really hard not to read what you're describing as exactly the "white grievance" these folks insist isn't at the heart of it.

Reactions: largemouth
Be careful...Stoll may call you "woke" for that.
I left GS Warriors out of that too. I would be interested in an actual poll of native Americans about this. Leave Redskins out , views of using local tribal names and again if they are offended I can agree. Mascots from old teams were not meant to be demeaning . Its a slippery slope that really doesnt matter much in reality does it? I don't think any Native Americans are being denied anything by this or really care and if it is just woke white folks ? The other side is

Back to the more original theme here of names and even if Goat says we don't have any right to speculate on names if we aren't Clevelanders , how he knows where I currently live I have no clue. But for sure no place for speculation about something as serious as a team mascot on a message board by anyone else! Wouldn't Rockers with the R&R Hall of fame made more sense or Hall of Famers since pro football is close by too? I am not a huge fan or anything and guess always grew up with Indians mascot. I don't find it myself nearly as bad as Redskins that was time for a change in my opinion . Goodyear is close by call them the Cleveland Rubbers maybe?
Slow your roll. All I was saying was that, if you aren't a Clevelander, your opinion on whether or not "Guardians" is a good name means squat, and is almost certainly informed by how you felt about the name Indians. I'd bet money virtually everyone who wanted the Indians name to go will claim Guardians is a great name, and virtually everyone who wanted the Indians name to stay will claim Guardians is a terrible name. Neither side is offering an objective critique of the name; they are just reflexively responding according to their opinion on the larger issue. That's it.

Conflating BLM's crusade against Confederate monuments with Native American activists' campaign against sports nicknames...I mean, I'm not saying you're wrong about the reality of what's going on in their minds, especially when combined with all that "Good ol' days" stuff, but...well, it's really hard not to read what you're describing as exactly the "white grievance" these folks insist isn't at the heart of it.
I don’t think it has to have anything to do with race.

It doesn't have to, but it certainly reads like it does.
I’m sure for some there is but not all. I think for many it’s the direction the country is going (perceived or real); the virtue signaling; the leftist media; ideas of redistributing wealth; frustration over an evolving economy that leaves many behind; technology; shaming a swath of people that have never done anything but work hard and mind their own business. Many things. So changing a team name they’ve know for 75 years isn’t really about some dumb sport; that name change is a totem for all the shit I described and so much I’ve left out

I’m sure for some there is but not all. I think for many it’s the direction the country is going (perceived or real); the virtue signaling; the leftist media; ideas of redistributing wealth; frustration over an evolving economy that leaves many behind; technology; shaming a swath of people that have never done anything but work hard and mind their own business. Many things. So changing a team name they’ve know for 75 years isn’t really about some dumb sport; that name change is a totem for all the shit I described and so much I’ve left out
That's a them problem, you would agree?

It doesn't have to, but it certainly reads like it does.
BLM is mostly about money for the leaders. Similar to Reverend Al.

I am actually fine with statues of confederate leaders being moved from town squares to museums.

I am not ok with rioting, looting and destroying property while forcibly taking them down.

ADVERTISEMENT