ADVERTISEMENT

The Cleveland Guardians

I could care less what Trump says now. Probably would help if you folks moved forward too.

BTW did you watch the current president’s Townhall last night? I assume not. Neither were many other people. I saw some excerpts today. They’re going to have to provide an interpreter to explain what he’s saying.
Good story. Not sure what it has to do with the topic.
So, no reply to the Indigenous Coalition?

Oh, I get it now. You spelled "I am drunk" incorrectly above.
LOL. What I posted is correct. You gotta run many things by woke democrats before making huge decisions. Statues can be bad. Mascots can be bad. I am thinking there’s many cities and states that are going to have to change their names.

Indiana could be in trouble. Probably need to call in BLM and Antifa.

The name "Indiana" means "Land of the Indians" or "Land of Indians." After the French lost the French and Indian War in 1763, the English took over the territory that would include latter-day Indiana.Jul 2, 2020

Reactions: Crayfish57
LOL. What I posted is correct. You gotta run many things by woke democrats before making huge decisions. Statues can be bad. Mascots can be bad. I am thinking there’s many cities and states that are going to have to change their names.

Indiana could be in trouble. Probably need to call in BLM and Antifa.

The name "Indiana" means "Land of the Indians" or "Land of Indians." After the French lost the French and Indian War in 1763, the English took over the territory that would include latter-day Indiana.Jul 2, 2020
No, what you posted was actually pretty stupid. For you to suggest that the Guardians of Traffic might be offensive because they are statues only shows that you made zero attempt whatsoever to understand why some people found some statues to be offensive. If you had put any effort into that at all, you wouldn't make such a dumb statement, because you'd already know that the things that made those statues offensive have nothing to do with the Guardians of Traffic.

No, what you posted was actually pretty stupid. For you to suggest that the Guardians of Traffic might be offensive because they are statues only shows that you made zero attempt whatsoever to understand why some people found some statues to be offensive. If you had put any effort into that at all, you wouldn't make such a dumb statement, because you'd already know that the things that made those statues offensive have nothing to do with the Guardians of Traffic.
I know why people rioted, looted, burned and destroyed buildings and statues.

Who’s to say one of your crowd won’t find a reason to be offended by the Guardians?

Why isn’t it possible woke pandering whites along with some Indian Tribes aren’t offended by the name Indiana?

I know why people rioted, looted, burned and destroyed buildings and statues.
No, you clearly don't.
Who’s to say one of your crowd won’t find a reason to be offended by the Guardians?
I literally answered that in the post you responded to.
Why isn’t it possible woke pandering whites along with some Indian Tribes aren’t offended by the name Indiana?
Who cares? Nobody is going to rename the state of Indiana.

No, you clearly don't.

I literally answered that in the post you responded to.

Who cares? Nobody is going to rename the state of Indiana.
I didn’t think democrats would cheer burning up neighborhoods and bailing out the criminals who did it. Who’s to say they won’t riot to change the offensive name Indiana?

I'm not a Clevelander, but apparently the Guardians are a significant symbol of the city's culture and image. I sure wouldn't appreciate someone who knew little about Fort Wayne telling me the Tin Caps was a bad team name, so I'm not going to pretend I know more than actual Clevelanders on the topic.
Guardians is a bad name , they surely could have come up with something better. Having said that what is the Tin Caps from? The brewery ? regardless of why it has a ring to it at least. Funny that the Pistons were originally named in FW ...........maybe some other names didnt sound great initially but Guardians is pretty lame. Actually the guy saying Washington should be Pigskins had a decent point. Beats Wizards.

Guardians is a bad name , they surely could have come up with something better. Having said that what is the Tin Caps from? The brewery ? regardless of why it has a ring to it at least. Funny that the Pistons were originally named in FW ...........maybe some other names didnt sound great initially but Guardians is pretty lame. Actually the guy saying Washington should be Pigskins had a decent point. Beats Wizards.
Tin Caps is from the tin cooking pot Johnny Appleseed supposedly wore as a hat.

Again, you should leave it to Clevelanders to decide if Guardians is a bad name. If you're an outsider, chances are you are judging it based on issues that have nothing to do with baseball or the culture of the city of Cleveland.

Just to make it as clear as possible. There are exactly two responses to this that you should take seriously:

"I'm from Cleveland, and I'm glad they changed the name, but I think Guardians is a bad choice."

and,

"I'm from Cleveland, and I didn't want them to change the name, but at least they chose a good replacement."

If either of those narratives become widespread, then you know it's probably the right take. Any other opinion at all, especially one that doesn't start with "I'm from Cleveland," is probably just political posturing and should be discarded without thought.

Edit: Just to be extra clear, I'm only talking about whether or not Guardians is a good name. Obviously, everyone can have an opinion about whether or not the name should have been changed, even if they aren't a Clevelander.

Last edited:
I'm not looking for drama about this. I know well about Johnny Appleseed but had not known the connection. I got Mad Ants that likely people away didnt as Mad Anthony Wayne vs actual ants.

Guardians sounds like an insurance company.

There is actually a theory about how Johnny Appleseed was bad and hurt Native Americans by giving white men apples to eat as the pushed the natives west. I didnt say I agree but it is there.

Everything doesn't have to be a drama filled issue , relax .
Tin Caps is from the tin cooking pot Johnny Appleseed supposedly wore as a hat.

Again, you should leave it to Clevelanders to decide if Guardians is a bad name. If you're an outsider, chances are you are judging it based on issues that have nothing to do with baseball or the culture of the city of Cleveland.

I'm not looking for drama about this. I know well about Johnny Appleseed but had not known the connection. I got Mad Ants that likely people away didnt as Mad Anthony Wayne vs actual ants.

Guardians sounds like an insurance company.

There is actually a theory about how Johnny Appleseed was bad and hurt Native Americans by giving white men apples to eat as the pushed the natives west. I didnt say I agree but it is there.

Everything doesn't have to be a drama filled issue , relax .
What drama? I'm just pointing out that we should leave it to Clevelanders to say whether or not this is a good name that properly reflects the culture and image of their city. I don't see what's so dramatic or controversial in any way about that sentiment.

What drama? I'm just pointing out that we should leave it to Clevelanders to say whether or not this is a good name that properly reflects the culture and image of their city. I don't see what's so dramatic or controversial in any way about that sentiment.
They would probably stick with the Indians if asked. Cleveland doesn't have a lot of catchy names if going by the town, Plain Dealers would sound better but probably can't use that, Western reservists? Nah , Flats or flatlanders? The River Fires actually has a bit of bite to it. I guess all the creative names are gone, I wish Washington would have went back to being the Senators. Admittedly if named now the Packers would seem dumb but had a reason at the time.

I have a special fondness for cities such as Cleveland which lie in the Rust Belt. Since about 1980 the cities of the Midwest and Northeast have faced tough times. The industries which once made these cities thrive are in decline. This along with aging infrastructures and climates which aren't exactly appealing make it tough to compete with newer cities in other regions.

To top it off the Rust Belt cities compete with each other by giving huge tax incentives to attract employers. Taxes which should go toward infrastructure, law enforcement, and education. Ironically companies with huge profit margins aren't lured by just low taxes and instead prefer communities with less crime and better educated workers.

You must be mistaken.... this is a thread to bitch about things.

But to your point.... the rust belt beat down has been overstated. Many of these places bottomed out a couple of decades ago, and many are seeing resurgent economic activity. Places like Pittsburgh are pretty damn decent places to live. Compared to the ultra high COL of the coasts that offer only marginally better employment.

Hell, even Detroit isn't bad these days.

Reactions: largemouth
Im old but you people are nuts`
so if you can have black miss america, black tv chennels, black this and that but thats not racist, im white, never had a slave and dont know anyone that did . so im responsible to take care of you people that hate america . you people need to move on.

Reactions: Lucy01
so if you can have black miss america, black tv chennels, black this and that but thats not racist, im white, never had a slave and dont know anyone that did . so im responsible to take care of you people that hate america . you people need to move on.
What the flying f*ck are you talking about?

They would probably stick with the Indians if asked. Cleveland doesn't have a lot of catchy names if going by the town, Plain Dealers would sound better but probably can't use that, Western reservists? Nah , Flats or flatlanders? The River Fires actually has a bit of bite to it. I guess all the creative names are gone, I wish Washington would have went back to being the Senators. Admittedly if named now the Packers would seem dumb but had a reason at the time.
Maybe they would. Maybe they wouldn't. But how would you know? Let's leave this to Clevelanders, that's all I'm saying. Lets not put our respective biases on them. If they like the name, great. If they don't, that's their right. Let it go and see what they end up thinking about it.

What the flying f*ck are you talking about?

While his points we're ineloquent.... best not to dismiss, but rather think upon what he's saying. There are a lot of people that think exactly this way, and dismissing them is why you lose elections. It doesn't take a lot to connect the dots to why things like the Indians changing names is relevant to a lot of general social changes.

While his points we're ineloquent.... best not to dismiss, but rather think upon what he's saying. There are a lot of people that think exactly this way, and dismissing them is why you lose elections. It doesn't take a lot to connect the dots to why things like the Indians changing names is relevant to a lot of general social changes.
You're gonna have to connect those dots for me. Black Miss America? Take care of people who hate America?

If those dots are easily connected, then these people are exactly what the worst caricatures portray them to be.

Reactions: largemouth
Reactions: larsIU
think-about-it-laugh-for-the-day-the-federal-government-4976136.png

:) :)

You forgot Black Expo, Black National Anthem, Juneteenth.

I could care less what Trump says now. Probably would help if you folks moved forward too.

BTW did you watch the current president’s Townhall last night? I assume not. Neither were many other people. I saw some excerpts today. They’re going to have to provide an interpreter to explain what he’s saying.
yea... But Trump!!

Reactions: stollcpa
For sure. I suspect repubs will have strong midterms congruent with those sentiments

You're gonna have to connect those dots for me. Black Miss America? Take care of people who hate America?

If those dots are easily connected, then these people are exactly what the worst caricatures portray them to be.
That there are double standards and hypocrisy. That equality of outcome is sought not opportunity. That the people crying for trillions in social welfare won’t stand for the flag of the gov they want to support them. Anti American sentiments. That guys like him never owned slaves and that 400 years have passed and he’s just a hardworking guy who wants to take care of his family and not see the gov go further into debt and raise his taxes etc to subsidize the lives of people who he perceives as anti American in their actions and rhetoric. I’m not speaking to the veracity of any of that - only echoing twenty that it’s a sentiment I personally hear often. Those are the dots.

And there’s a generational element. He said he’s old. Guys who experienced the depression, wars etc seeing things a little differently than the younger generations today. Your eyes lighting up at OH Black expo oh wtf is just you being you. Twenty is right. It shouldn’t be dismissed. That you can’t connect those dots speaks volumes.

We are at an impasse as to what role we think gov should play in our lives. In that regard it’s a divided country and I have no idea how we can all get on the same page going forward. It’s sad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jg48 and Lucy01
The Pistons got their name from the Zollner Piston Corporation. Fred Zollner, was president of the corporation, and original owner of the team. They were moved to Detroit, but kept the name. Zollner also sponsored a professional softball team in the 40s and early 50s called the Zollner Pistons. It was an incredible team.

Reactions: Crayfish57
I have it on good information ( inside source) that the Guardians were named after the "Guardians of the Galaxy" movies. Makes perfect sense, when you think about it.

That there are double standards and hypocrisy. That equality of outcome is sought not opportunity. That the people crying for trillions in social welfare won’t stand for the flag of the gov they want to support them. Anti American sentiments. That guys like him never owned slaves and that 400 years have passed and he’s just a hardworking guy who wants to take care of his family and not see the gov go further into debt and raise his taxes etc to subsidize the lives of people who he perceives as anti American in their actions and rhetoric. I’m not speaking to the veracity of any of that - only echoing twenty that it’s a sentiment I personally hear often. Those are the dots.

And there’s a generational element. He said he’s old. Guys who experienced the depression, wars etc seeing things a little differently than the younger generations today. Your eyes lighting up at OH Black expo oh wtf is just you being you. Twenty is right. It shouldn’t be dismissed. That you can’t connect those dots speaks volumes.

We are at an impasse as to what role we think gov should play in our lives. In that regard it’s a divided country and I have no idea how we can all get on the same page going forward. It’s sad.
But what does any of that have to do with the name of a baseball team?

But what does any of that have to do with the name of a baseball team?
Perception is that it’s the same actors, people, movement behind it. And think of the converse. That how things used to be was better. That this new American isn’t appealing. That the old America was better. Nostalgia. Make America Great Again. Smart marketing. The rub is in the math. How many people subscribe to each opposing view. An argument can be made that the control of wash was decided by 90,000 votes. That evidences a deeply divided country.

Last edited:

You said much of what many people think. The people that disagree are going to shout racist and some phobe at you. There’s no compromise possible when that’s their go to on everything.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
You must be mistaken.... this is a thread to bitch about things.

But to your point.... the rust belt beat down has been overstated. Many of these places bottomed out a couple of decades ago, and many are seeing resurgent economic activity. Places like Pittsburgh are pretty damn decent places to live. Compared to the ultra high COL of the coasts that offer only marginally better employment.

Hell, even Detroit isn't bad these days.
Twenty, good point.

By using the term "rust belt" I lumped all the Midwest and Northeast cities into what can be called a glittering generality.

When in fact some are doing better than others.

Books can be written about this. What role government should play in our lives is one way to look at it. The more I observe about current events, the more I think the larger question is what role should we play in our own lives. We have gotten to the point where we describe all people of color as marginalized and oppressed and we must therefore provide “equity”. Conversely, traits like self reliance and hard work is part of success is white culture which culture is racist. This different way of seeing people is not only a dominant factor in forming public policy, but is becoming baked into our culture. As more and more people are convinced that their failure to find contentment is the result of being marginalized or oppressed, the more they will look outward to government to provide that instead of looking inward and relying on themselves.

Perception is that it’s the same actors, people, movement behind it. And think of the converse. That how things used to be was better. That this new American isn’t appealing. That the old America was better. Nostalgia. Make America Great Again. Smart marketing. The rub is in the math. How many people subscribe to each opposing view. An argument can be made that the control of wash was decided by 90,000 votes. That evidences a deeply divided country.
The country is closely divided. There’s one big problem. Those on the left want power without majority. They will resort and have resorted to silencing the opposition. They have no problem controlling us just like communist dictators do and have done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT