ADVERTISEMENT

The Big Ten is canceling all non-conference football games this fall

No non-conference games because it would be more dangerous to play x than to have to fly and play y... no fans because this virus made in a lab KNOWS to attack ONLY those who are not on the OL... perhaps the BT could officiate the games by zoom... for our safety, of course!

Reactions: vesuvius13
Right,
It should all be a priority.

We need to get rid of the virus. Full stop. This is indisputable.

But we also need to educate our kids. We need to do this as safely as possible.

We need economies to survive so taxes can be paid to our municipalities so we don't have to lay off teachers/administrators/police officers/firemen.

We need our universities and the people who work there and the businesses who support them to survive for the same reason. Can you image a place like Bloomington if a large percentage of those really, really well paid administrators gets laid off? JFC I can't even imagine. And there are a thousand Bloomingtons out there.

This is a tricky puzzle.

Wear a mask. Sorry, just wear one. There's no downside as far as I can tell. Stay home when possible. Be smart when you can't stay home. Protect the most vulnerable.

This too shall pass but we can't have scorched earth when it finally does.

Just my humble opinion.
I agree.

Reactions: Bligedy
The comparison with European countries is a false one that is made all the time. European countries compare to individual states in the USA because they have one dominate culture and their population is the size of some of our stats. The USA is a country more varied in population density, environmental conditions, we don't have one shared like other countries, not to mention a different system of gov't.
Well, yes, the way our nations are arranged it's easier for them to be unified in the way they treat the virus, but that doesn't mean we can't do the same things they have done. In fact we should & could have done the same things they have done. We don't want to. That's the difference.

Well, yes, the way our nations are arranged it's easier for them to be unified in the way they treat the virus, but that doesn't mean we can't do the same things they have done. In fact we should & could have done the same things they have done. We don't want to. That's the difference.
The big difference is, those nations are generally homogenized populations. It's very different in the US, where we have a more diverse population.

In all fairness, it’s easy to single out individual leaders and second guess all the actions. Keep in mind that this was unprecedented and even leading medical experts (yes scientists) minimized the potential impact early in the year.
It amazes me that anger is turned inward on this pandemic when the real culprit is China. Not a peep about China and, depending what you read, was either a deliberate act of biological warfare or gross negligence.
Not a single peep of outrage over that.
When leadership tried to limit travelers once the extent of the impact was assessed, they were labeled as xenophobic. C’mon....people are going to push an agenda of what they labeled as “racist” over the potential death of citizens?
I fully support masks. I wear one every day and now it is mandatory in my county, so I don’t have an issue with that. There are a whole lot of folks out there not wearing masks. I find it laughable that there hasn’t been a single outcry in the media over protesters in large gatherings within inches of each other without masks.
I guess life and death take a back seat in those situations? Kind of screwed up priorities. Protest as much and safely as possible but it’s highly hypocritical to be screaming about “lives” when you are standing 6 inches away from somebody without a damn mask. You don’t care about possibly putting someone on a ventilator?
Not right.
Come on... don't you dare criticize those amazing, peaceful heroes who are burning down buildings, destroying property and attacking those evil police officers... they know this wonderful virus will have no effect on them because they are so progressive, tolerant, enlightened and compassionate... so they don't need to wear a mask... unless they are mob attacking an elderly woman and stealing her stuff! She deserves it! Leave them (snif) alone!

The big difference is, those nations are generally homogenized populations. It's very different in the US, where we have a more diverse population.

Most of the country's that are heralded as doing things best in terms of handling COVID19 are, at best, the size of one or two of our states and are much more federal in terms of their governance.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
Most of the country's that are heralded as doing things best in terms of handling COVID19 are, at best, the size of one or two of our states and are much more federal in terms of their governance.
And none of them politicized the issue of mask-wearing and social distancing.

Btw, it's obviously not Europe but look at Japan (population: 126 million, and only about 1,000 deaths from Covid). The Japanese people have been wearing masks since the 1919 pandemic, and they've never really stopped. If you get a cold or cough in Japan, you put on a mask out of consideration for the people around you. So, with Covid, the Japanese aren't shouting "but you're restricting my freedoms!" or "They want to throw God's wonderful breathing system out the door!" (an actual quote from a woman in Florida) like so many of the idiots in this country.

In all fairness, it’s easy to single out individual leaders and second guess all the actions. Keep in mind that this was unprecedented and even leading medical experts (yes scientists) minimized the potential impact early in the year.
It amazes me that anger is turned inward on this pandemic when the real culprit is China. Not a peep about China and, depending what you read, was either a deliberate act of biological warfare or gross negligence.
Not a single peep of outrage over that.
When leadership tried to limit travelers once the extent of the impact was assessed, they were labeled as xenophobic. C’mon....people are going to push an agenda of what they labeled as “racist” over the potential death of citizens?
I fully support masks. I wear one every day and now it is mandatory in my county, so I don’t have an issue with that. There are a whole lot of folks out there not wearing masks. I find it laughable that there hasn’t been a single outcry in the media over protesters in large gatherings within inches of each other without masks.
I guess life and death take a back seat in those situations? Kind of screwed up priorities. Protest as much and safely as possible but it’s highly hypocritical to be screaming about “lives” when you are standing 6 inches away from somebody without a damn mask. You don’t care about possibly putting someone on a ventilator?
Not right.

Protests outside are a lot safer than political rallies inside. Where is your outrage at the churches for opening up service prematurely? Indoor events are a lot more dangerous than outdoor afterall.

What happened in China is out of our control. One would hope our leaders would have had us better prepared to deal with it. But I guess what you can expect when the pandemic team gets fired.

What scientists/medical experts were downplaying it at the beginning? Trump was the person downplaying the pandemic and he is neither a scientist nor an expert, even if he pretends to be one.

Who had issue with banning travelers from China? (more like it was not enough)

Your agenda is showing.

Last edited:

Btw, it's obviously not Europe but look at Japan (population: 126 million, and only about 1,000 deaths from Covid). The Japanese people have been wearing masks since the 1919 pandemic, and they've never really stopped. If you get a cold or cough in Japan, you put on a mask out of consideration for the people around you. So, with Covid, the Japanese aren't shouting "but you're restricting my freedoms!" or "They want to throw God's wonderful breathing system out the door!" (an actual quote from a woman in Florida) like so many of the idiots in this country.
Well, look who's talking politics!

Here’s what I don’t get.

Today there were roughly 80000 airline flights in the US. The flights I’ve heard of, and been on, since Covid have varied with the number of passengers. But I’ve heard of, and have been on, flights that were 100 percent full. But let’s just say half full, average of about 30 passengers per plane, taking into account smaller regional planes and bigger planes.

That’s 2.4 million people daily, in cramped indoor quarters, with a recirculating air system.

And they/we can’t figure out how to practice and play sports? And can’t figure out how to have games?

I suppose airline travel is more essential in some ways. But there are hundreds of thousands of people out there that rely on these sports for their livelihood. Players, coaches, school budgets, apparel companies, the list is fairly long.

I’m going to be in a really chitty mood this fall and winter when I’m sitting on cramped airplanes every week, hearing how irresponsible it would be to have college football and basketball.

lol, exactly. This entire thing is an emotional chit show. Reminds me when you try and argue with logic against a hard core member of the Christian right. They are simply loons.

Reactions: CaptainZigZag

I wear masks (three layered) whenever I go out and believe everyone else should too.

Using Japan, South Korea, etc as an example simply makes my point... They've worn masks for decades and they have a much more complaint citizenry...

I wasn't saying we should or should not do anything. I was just pointing out that many of these purely political arguments using other countries success at tamping down the COVID19 numbers are talking apples versus oranges...

Instead of making literally Everything about "I hate the current President first and above all things" and then use any opportunity to disparage him or anyone who might agree with him on any issue; our time as a nation (in my opinion) would be much better spent attempting to find some type of consensus as to how to combat this completely apolitical virus... Simply using COVID19's terrors as a political cudgel accomplishes nothing...

This politicize everything first approach (to the point of literally burning things down) versus coming together when attacked (and make no mistake we have been attacked) is what differentiates this generation from those who put their political differences aside in our past and pulled together to fight whatever threat was confronting us... (And I don't think either side has a shortage of dumbasses).

Last edited:
Using Japan, South Korea, etc as an example simply makes my point... They've worn masks for decades and they have a much more complaint citizenry.
Instead of making literally Everything about "I hate the current President first and above all things" and then use any opportunity to disparage him or anyone who might agree with him on any issue; our time as a nation (in my opinion) would be much better spent attempting to find some type of consensus as to how to combat this completely apolitical virus... Simply using COVID19's terrors as a political cudgel accomplishes nothing...
You say "compliant." I say "considerate" and "smart." But, regardless of the adjective that anyone might apply to their behavior, they're clearly doing the right thing. It's the right thing morally and it's the right thing medically. Further, they're not getting hit with messaging from people in authority suggesting that mask-wearing is a political statement or a waste of time. That kind of irresponsible rhetoric has set us back.

Finally, you indicate that our time would be better spent trying to arrive at a consensus as to how to combat the virus. There already is a medical consensus about what we can be doing - - - avoid crowds, practice social distancing, and wear a mask.

I'm heading out for the night - - with a mask. Have a good weekend.

I think you answered your own question. Airline travel is essential. College sports - - even revenue-generating college sports - - aren't.

Also, while airline travel no doubt carries increased risk these days, at least mitigation is possible. The airlines are supposedly undertaking enhanced disinfecting methods, and air purification systems are considered state of the art. And, with everyone wearing a mask, there's that additional level of protection. Football, on the other hand, is literally an in-your-face activity with guys grunting, coughing and breathing hard for three and a half hours. If a football player plays with Covid, particularly a guy up front, it's almost a guarantee that he's going to transmit it to other guys. Then, before you know it, there's an outbreak.
I agree about the outbreak chance. Someone somewhere is going to be asymptomatically positive, a test will be a false negative, a negative test will be in an infected person just before enough virus grows to be positive, etc.
So on Sunday/Monday, when a player(s) test positive, literally everyone involved with that prior Saturday’s game will have been exposed. 2-14 day incubation period, so those two teams don’t play for the next two weeks?
I assume the powers that be are aware of this and have a plan. I worry the plan is to cancel everything, but other than “ignore and play through”, I do not see any other choice.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
I agree about the outbreak chance. Someone somewhere is going to be asymptomatically positive, a test will be a false negative, a negative test will be in an infected person just before enough virus grows to be positive, etc.
So on Sunday/Monday, when a player(s) test positive, literally everyone involved with that prior Saturday’s game will have been exposed. 2-14 day incubation period, so those two teams don’t play for the next two weeks?
I assume the powers that be are aware of this and have a plan. I worry the plan is to cancel everything, but other than “ignore and play through”, I do not see any other choice.
Yeah. With fall camp just weeks away, it's not looking good.

A month ago I was confident the season would at least launch, with problems potentially coming later in the fall as the weather turned cold and the "second wave" arrived. I don't think there were too many who anticipated we'd see this huge spike in July.

And the hardest hit states are smack-dab in the heart of football country. I saw an article in the Sporting News last week and it read in part: "Last week seven states — Arizona, Arkansas, California, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas — reported their highest number of COVID-19 related hospitalizations since the pandemic began. Those seven states have 35 of the 130 — or 26.9 percent — of the FBS programs. The numbers in those states have to decrease significantly before assuming the risks of playing football in the fall." Now Florida can be added to the list. They're getting absolutely pummeled, particularly in Miami-Dade.

I know the risks are minimal for athletes in their late teens and 20's. But if there's an outbreak on a team, there's no way they're going to play through. All it takes is for one guy, perhaps with an unknown or undisclosed co-morbidity, to get seriously ill or die, and the school is looking at some disastrous PR and serious liability issues.

The conferences are going to have a make a call on this in the next few weeks. My hunch is a canceled season - - or a season moved to the spring.

Reactions: CC Mac

I assumed Force Majeure clauses would more than cover this but perhaps not. Still hard to believe schools would sue each other for breach over this. If they do it would soil the relationship for some time not to mention giving the organization a black eye IMO.

Flip the table...they schedule the game and several members of one team test positive and everyone on one team has to quarantine....and frankly this scenario is a sure thing IMO.

The virus is never going away.

You state this as if it is a certainty or an indisputable fact. It is not. It is speculation.

Other viruses have come and gone. Take the 1918 Spanish flu which could have originated in this country, it has never come back in it's full form but genetic components continue to be found in other viruses.

No one knows which category this one will fall in.

But we're still all human? The biggest difference is these countries had a singular strategy & plan & they all followed it, the ENTIRE country. We've had different states doing things at different times. How in the world could that possibly work? I mean it's just math, if people travel to other states that are doing things differently than theirs, they can disturb that states plan. We need a national strategy. Not to mention, we have too many people that refuse to wear masks or behave as if the virus is a threat to them or anyone else. Taiwan is a nation of 24 million people, they had the virus before we did. They have had 450 cases & 7 deaths. Total. That's not all down to having a homogenized population. A diverse population can all do the same thing & follow a singular plan if they're willing to do it. We're not.

Taiwan is a nation of 24 million people, they had the virus before we did. They have had 450 cases & 7 deaths. Total. That's not all down to having a homogenized population. A diverse population can all do the same thing & follow a singular plan if they're willing to do it. We're not.

I agree with DANC. The term homogeneous does not only apply to race, ethnicity or religion, it also applies to the populations belief in the government. I would bet if you took surveys of Taiwan and the US with the simple question of "Do you trust the government?", the results would be VASTLY different.

So, yes, a diverse population in relation to certain things could do the same thing but a homogeneous population in their trust of the government is what is needed to have an effective plan.

We do not have that type of population.

Reactions: DANC
I agree with DANC. The term homogeneous does not only apply to race, ethnicity or religion, it also applies to the populations belief in the government. I would bet if you took surveys of Taiwan and the US with the simple question of "Do you trust the government?", the results would be VASTLY different.

So, yes, a diverse population in relation to certain things could do the same thing but a homogeneous population in their trust of the government is what is needed to have an effective plan.

But that's kinda' my point in a way--regardless of what the population believes, yeah that's WHY we have a hard time doing the correct things on our own--but that's a problem that needs addressed, immediately. If the right measures were taken, they would fall inline. That is belief of freedom working against us--we can't allow some of us to bring all of us down. Italy & Spain may not be as homogeneous, but they still had military in the streets to enforce their lockdowns, I'm not saying we should do that, but we can do more, is my point. Having 1 unified strategy around the nation has nothing to do with homogeneity.

Last edited:
But we're still all human? The biggest difference is these countries had a singular strategy & plan & they all followed it, the ENTIRE country. We've had different states doing things at different times. How in the world could that possibly work? I mean it's just math, if people travel to other states that are doing things differently than theirs, they can disturb that states plan. We need a national strategy. Not to mention, we have too many people that refuse to wear masks or behave as if the virus is a threat to them or anyone else. Taiwan is a nation of 24 million people, they had the virus before we did. They have had 450 cases & 7 deaths. Total. That's not all down to having a homogenized population. A diverse population can all do the same thing & follow a singular plan if they're willing to do it. We're not.
Taiwan is an island - like New Zealand. They had contacts in China who knew about the virus before China passed the information to the WHO.

It's easy to limit access to a country when it's an island.

So, if other countries have laws that would never be accepted in the US, does that mean we should adopt them on the chance that it MIGHT limit the virus. Is it OK with you if your government can jail you for not following rules that go against the Constitution, without any legislative approva?

Sorry, I'm not.

Looks like the US doesn better than many of those enlightened Europeans. https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

So our weakness in this respect goes back to our original sin as a nation, slavery and its descendants Jim Crow and the resulting bias that did permeate the Democratic Party and now permeates the Republican Party. Blacks have not been able to trust in government for centuries; women couldn’t for a long time; Hispanics can’t. Poor people rarely could; Republicans gain power by convincing the wealthy and anyone else who will listen that they can’t though in fact the wealthy are the only ones who consistently could.

We have made our bed, can we get up out of it?

Last edited:
I would bet if you took surveys of Taiwan and the US with the simple question of "Do you trust the government?", the results would be VASTLY different.
I'd bet if you took surveys of Taiwan and the U.S. (or Japan and the U.S., or France and the U.S., or Italy and the U.S., etc.) with the simple question of "Do you trust science?" the results would be vastly different.

There's a growing number of "flat-earthers" and other antiscience idiots in this country.

Here's what a scientist said earlier this week about the pandemic and the U.S. response. And he's not just any scientist; he's considered one of the world's preeminent immunologists. "When you compare us to other countries, we're not doing great." - Dr. Anthony Fauci.

Reactions: Chriselli
So our weakness in this respect goes back to our original sin as a nation, slavery and its descendants Jim Crow and the resulting bias that did permeate the Democratic Party and now permeates the Republican Party. Blacks have not been able to trust in government for centuries; women couldn’t for a long time; Hispanics can’t. Poor people rarely could; Republicans gain power by convincing the wealthy and anyone else who will listen that they can’t though in fact the wealthy are the only ones who consistently could.

We have made our bed, can we get up out of it?

Wow, that is about as cynical as you can get.

I'd bet if you took surveys of Taiwan and the U.S. (or Japan and the U.S., or France and the U.S., or Italy and the U.S., etc.) with the simple question of "Do you trust science?" the results would be vastly different.

There's a growing number of "flat-earthers" and other antiscience idiots in this country.

Here's what a scientist said earlier this week about the pandemic and the U.S. response. And he's not just any scientist; he's considered one of the world's preeminent immunologists. "When you compare us to other countries, we're not doing great." - Dr. Anthony Fauci.

25% of Americans think that the sun revolves around the Earth and that man and dinosaur cohabitated Earth. Let's not even mention the number of people who believe man landing on the moon was a hoax.

Reactions: Bowlmania
Taiwan is an island - like New Zealand. They had contacts in China who knew about the virus before China passed the information to the WHO.

It's easy to limit access to a country when it's an island.

So, if other countries have laws that would never be accepted in the US, does that mean we should adopt them on the chance that it MIGHT limit the virus. Is it OK with you if your government can jail you for not following rules that go against the Constitution, without any legislative approva?

Sorry, I'm not.

Looks like the US doesn better than many of those enlightened Europeans. https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/
MIGHT limit the virus?? Did you read all of my post? & frankly, right now...YES!! It would be ok with me if the government could jail people for not following laws that are counter to laws the Constitution mandates in times other than pandemics! FFS can we use common sense? I don't think our founding fathers intended for us to value our "freedoms" over the lives & health of others.

Is it OK with you if your government can jail you for not following rules that go against the Constitution, without any legislative approva?
Would it be OK for you with legislative approval? Is that not exactly what happened with the Patriot Act? Sometimes we have to surrender some of our rights for the greater good...like WWII rationing. Can you even imagine these people if you tried to limit their food or gas consumption?

Reactions: jsenleo
MIGHT limit the virus?? Did you read all of my post? & frankly, right now...YES!! It would be ok with me if the government could jail people for not following laws that are counter to laws the Constitution mandates in times other than pandemics! FFS can we use common sense? I don't think our founding fathers intended for us to value our "freedoms" over the lives & health of others.
If you really think that, I don't think you have a clue why the founding fathers created this nation.

As far as valuing 'freedoms' over the lives and health of others, you must also have no clue the role our military plays in maintaing our freedoms. They put their 'lives and health' on the line every day.

Would it be OK for you with legislative approval? Is that not exactly what happened with the Patriot Act? Sometimes we have to surrender some of our rights for the greater good...like WWII rationing. Can you even imagine these people if you tried to limit their food or gas consumption?
It would certainly help if the legislature would act one way or the other. At least then the voters' voices could be heard.

But they'd rather leave the hard choices to the executive branches - governors. You may want to live by executive order, but I don't.

WWII is nothing like this situation. There was clear enemy and we knew what to do to defeat them. The legislatures made the laws.

In WWII, our freedom was threatened. Now, our freedom is being taken away by fear, despite a declining death rate and the fact that the new cases are primarily in age groups that don't even know they have it.

But facts and 'science' play no part now. It's all about whether you wear a mask or not.

I for one am hoping they move it the season to the spring. We have a team with a lot potential. I have been waiting for this type of team since the late 80s.

It would certainly help if the legislature would act one way or the other. At least then the voters' voices could be heard.

But they'd rather leave the hard choices to the executive branches - governors. You may want to live by executive order, but I don't.

WWII is nothing like this situation. There was clear enemy and we knew what to do to defeat them. The legislatures made the laws.

In WWII, our freedom was threatened. Now, our freedom is being taken away by fear, despite a declining death rate and the fact that the new cases are primarily in age groups that don't even know they have it.

But facts and 'science' play no part now. It's all about whether you wear a mask or not.

Without wading into politics, again, I disagree with your assessment of the WWII era. First, lots of executive orders setting domestic policy. Quite frankly, executive orders are just more nimble than the legislative process in emergency situations. Secondly, the United States had a 0% percent chance of every being invaded or having its freedom threatened by the Axis. If there was a percentage less than 0, I'd go for it.

And to echo the parody of Oliver Hazard Perry's quote, "We have met the enemy, and it is us." For reasons that escape rational explanation, our entire domestic response to a global pandemic are being defined by two groups, "Orange Man Bad" and "Orange Fan Mad." It's inexplicable and disastrous.

Reactions: Chriselli
My freedom and football season are being threatened by people prolonging this crisis by not wearing masks. All these people talking about protecting their freedom and rights don't seem to care a bit about the rights of others to not have their lives ruined by their selfishness.
You need to read the Constitution. Your rights are clearly defined there.

Just curious - how has your life been ruined?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT