ADVERTISEMENT

The best rant I’ve seen yet.

Agree. And just because IU has won in Crossroads doesn’t mean that’s good for program. Recruits want to go further than freaking Indy and play in-state school.

National championships were won with a schedule that IU played not 1 but 2 in state hosted 2 game tournaments with enough cupcakes for a kids birthday party. The theory that the Crossroads is holding the program from being as good as the past just doesn’t fly.

Reactions: SoccerSammy
National championships were won with a schedule that IU played not 1 but 2 in state hosted 2 game tournaments with enough cupcakes for a kids birthday party. The theory that the Crossroads is holding the program from being as good as the past just doesn’t fly.

I don't think it holds us back...but it is a something we should scrap. When we did those other tournaments in years past, we were not play 3 other state schools that we split the billing and revenue with. That basketball meeting is welfare from Indiana fans to those other 3 teams.

Also, when we played those games in the past, we had UK on the schedule every year. We replaced our home and home with Notre Dame and the UK game with Butler/Notre Dame every other year.

I am all for jettisoning the Crossroads Classic. And I think the guy is right about putting names on the jerseys. I still think winning cures all but even if we were winning, adding the names in the future may be helpful when NLI hits.

I agree with a lot of this, but I disagree on the uniforms.

Put the names on the back. Now that I've started down that road to Perdition, however, leave the basic uniform unchanged. It's a brand, much like the most plain uniforms in college football, those of the Crimson Tide. I hope I never see IU in black or gray or Hickory uniforms. If they are ever "jazzed up" for some "special" game, keep the basic colors and keep the interlock IU logo. Still some room for some creativity.

Indiana needs to dump their contract with Adidas as well. Kids much prefer Nike or even Under Armour. Yeah it is a small thing but Nike has a huge influence on athletes.

Here is something I have noticed personally. I was on Campus from 1974 to 1977 and saw two of the greatest teams of all time including the 1976 Championship. For me, up until about 7 years ago, an IU Game was must see TV and you planned your time around it. Now it has become if it fits my schedule, I may watch.
The past two Saturdays, I was out running errands, and missed most of the first half of each game, and didn't really care, this Saturday I got home just before the half, and took a 10 Minute catnap in the Second Half as I was watching.
Maybe it's my age, maybe it's that they have just become unwatchable. The other aspect is with the number of games played, and the number of teams that make the Tournament with Mediocre Records. For God Sakes, people are still talking about if we win the last 2 games, and a first round game in the Conference Tournament, we should get into the Tournament.
Interestingly enough, I am just the opposite with IU Football. Unless I am attending a Funeral. Wedding, or at the ER with a close family member, I make the time to watch the Game. In Football, each game is significant and there are no do overs or we will get them next time. You can't get to anything significant if you play 500 in Football.

Indiana needs to dump their contract with Adidas as well. Kids much prefer Nike or even Under Armour. Yeah it is a small thing but Nike has a huge influence on athletes.
We went long (stayed long, since BK originally signed a personal deal with them decades ago that was the precursor to IUs long relationship with them) with Adidas a few years ago. Doubt we’ll leave them anytime soon, if ever.

We went long (stayed long, since BK originally signed a personal deal with them decades ago that was the precursor to IUs long relationship with them) with Adidas a few years ago. Doubt we’ll leave them anytime soon, if ever.

Thanks.

Glass undertook a “review” of our apparel deal, but the competing firms weren’t very competitive. Of note, there was an expectation that Under Armour was going to provide a more compelling proposal for us, and some genuine surprise that their numbers didn’t reflect a more competitive alternative. They would’ve needed to be really sharp to get the deal given the long term relationship with Adidas, but they weren’t.

I apologize, I now live in Florida and I do not attend Indiana High School basketball games anymore. However, I was there when class basketball began and I thought it started with 1A, 2A, 3A, and 4A; thought I had heard through my Indiana family the largest schools are now 5A . . . are the class designations different for football? Anyway, I think my point is still relevant.
Leave it to the IHSAA to screw up the easiest things. There are actually 6 classes in football and 4 in basketball.

Reactions: iu2win
A lot of that stuff is superficial crap. Recruits want to play for a good coach who will develop them as men and players. That’s it. Tom Allen didn’t need gimmicks and fluff to turn around the culture of IU football.

Reactions: .Gerdis and mk23
Tradition is all we have left of IU basketball and we have people clamoring to get rid of that too.
Keep everything the same but get me a coach who can win championships. That's it.

• Sad
Reactions: Radio Zero
So what worked in 1987 and 1981 should work today. Seriously? The college basketball landscape has changed - A LOT.

And I didn't say it was "holding the program" back but the timing does prevent IU from seeking other opportunities, which might appeal to those 18-20 YOs necessary to compete.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT