ADVERTISEMENT

The basketball Legacy of Surfboard Fred...

jimmygoiu

All-American
Sep 5, 2001
1 Tom Crean's third year at IU: IU had just lost its last NINE games of the year, finishing 5-13 in the B1G. Brad Stevens at Butler just went to his second consecutive NCAA Championship game in a row. Glass passed on taking any action, even with 3 years of futility. (Remember, Butler was runnerup for Cody, so we would have retained him) .

2. Early in year 5 at AH, SB Fred triumphantly announces at AH a big extension for Crean, with the huge buyout. Tepid response from AH crowd clearly shows a "WTF did he do that for" attitude from IU faithful. IU flames out in the tourney to Syracuse. Fans realize the huge buyout is a future disaster.

3. Fanboy Fred hoisting Surfboard at midcourt of AH, reliving fratboy days. New nickname emerges.

4. $40 m renovation of AH.

5. Signs off on the weakest preseason schedules in IU bball history during Crean era.

6. Sets stage for another 4 years of futility with signature hire of AMiller.

7. Bails out of job, after 10 years of IU bball underperforming.

8. Cancelled UK rivalry. Took ball and went home. stating, "homey don't play that way". (really did say that!)

Anything else? Remember, the topic is Basketball Legacy.

Last edited:
Yep, he was awful for basketball and scampered off like a coward instead of facing the consequences of his actions.

Reactions: Jssanto
Yep, he was awful for basketball and scampered off like a coward instead of facing the consequences of his actions.
Yes, he did poorly hiring the right BB coach. But he did a LOT of other things right. That’s why he stayed around so long. It was time for him to go because where we are now is simply the unfinished business.

This is really a hindsight is 20/20 kind of thing. The length of the Crean extension was a misstep. I would have preferred a new arena but a wish isn’t a plan, so I put the facilities upgrades in the good category. And whatever you think of Arch or thought of him when hired, it was widely praised as the home run hire of that off-season. Just didn’t work out. It’s hard to win big. It’s hard to predict who will be a success at a particular institution. I’m sure we would have all played a better nostradamus.

The blame here is squarely on Archie. It wasn’t some wild mismanagement of the basketball program by Fred or anybody else in the administration.

I remember Tom Pritchard starting a lot. Then you had Devin Dumas, Malik Story, Nick Williams, and Verdell Jones. I think these were guys who played a lot.
Yeah, I think Devon Dumas is in jail for murder, Nick Williams and Mail Story left. What a culture change Dakich and Crean brought, kicking off pot smokers for no good murderers

1 Tom Crean's third year at IU: IU had just lost its last NINE games of the year, finishing 5-13 in the B1G. Brad Stevens at Butler just went to his second consecutive NCAA Championship game in a row. Glass passed on taking any action, even with 3 years of futility. (Remember, Butler was runnerup for Cody, so we would have retained him) .

2. SB Fred triumphantly announces at AH a big extension for Crean, with the huge buyout. Tepid response from AH crowd clearly shows a "WTF did he do that for" attitude from IU faithful. IU flames out in the tourney to Syracuse. Fans realize the huge buyout is a future disaster.

3. Fanboy Fred hoisting Surfboard at midcourt of AH, reliving fratboy days. New nickname emerges.

5. Signs off on the weakest preseason schedules in IU bball history during Crean era.

Anything else?
Let’s see.. baseball team good for the first time.. women’s basketball in Sweet 16 for the first time.. football team perhaps in the best shape in over 50 years.

Face it, Glass has only whiffed in men’s basketball, when he hired Archie, but he was praised by a lot of people at the time of the hire. Isn’t this just hindsight is 20/20?

Let’s see.. baseball team good for the first time.. women’s basketball in Sweet 16 for the first time.. football team perhaps in the best shape in over 50 years.

Face it, Glass has only whiffed in men’s basketball, when he hired Archie, but he was praised by a lot of people at the time of the hire. Isn’t this just hindsight is 20/20?

the topic is "Basketball Legacy". Men's bball is multiple times more important than all other sports, combined. I highlighted IU women, $40m upgrade. AMiller was a bust, but many (including me) thought it was a good hire. Cancelling UK rivalry was unforgivable.

Last edited:

2. SB Fred triumphantly announces at AH a big extension for Crean, with the huge buyout. Tepid response from AH crowd clearly shows a "WTF did he do that for" attitude from IU faithful. IU flames out in the tourney to Syracuse. Fans realize the huge buyout is a future disaster.

8. Cancelled UK rivalry. Took ball and went home. stating, "homey don't play that way". (really did say that!)

Anything else? Remember, the topic is Basketball Legacy.
the extension of crean was a huge mistake. other than that he was a great AD.

the topic is "Basketball Legacy". Men's bball is multiple times more important than all other sports, combined. I highlighted IU women, $40m upgrade. AMiller was a bust, but many (including me) thought it was a good hire. Cancelling UK rivalry was unforgivable.

Is my memory faulty or didn't UK cancel that series?

Were we not supposed to play at Rupp the next year but they balked?

We wanted home and home and then big arenas two years and they wanted no home and home?

One correction on the original post: the extension for Crean was announced in Nov 2012, after he had completed 4 years, not 3 at IU. Year 4 was 2011-2012: the Wat shot game and a trip to sweet 16. The extension was announced on opening night, when IU was ranked #1. I was at the game and there was a nice ovation from the sold out crowd when Glass made the announcement.

Reactions: goody1986

I disagree. In hindsight, it was a brilliant move. If Fred had not extended on Nov 2012, he likely would have AFTER a S16 run. Probably sometime during the summer of 2012.

But if Fred decided not to extend at that time, he definitely would have during the 15-16 season, with a 2nd BT title, #1 seed, and ranked #1. And an extension likely would have had a higher buyout.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think Devon Dumas is in jail for murder, Nick Williams and Mail Story left. What a culture change Dakich and Crean brought, kicking off pot smokers for no good murderers
It was attempted murder, and Dumes won the trial. He's free at this point.

This is really a hindsight is 20/20 kind of thing. The length of the Crean extension was a misstep. I would have preferred a new arena but a wish isn’t a plan, so I put the facilities upgrades in the good category. And whatever you think of Arch or thought of him when hired, it was widely praised as the home run hire of that off-season. Just didn’t work out. It’s hard to win big. It’s hard to predict who will be a success at a particular institution. I’m sure we would have all played a better nostradamus.

The blame here is squarely on Archie. It wasn’t some wild mismanagement of the basketball program by Fred or anybody else in the administration.
Yeah, but these facts don't fit the narrative of juvenile hysterics. The intellectually deficient must have a scapegoat.

Fred was always about Fred. He truly was a triumph of style over substance, though I understand why so many people aren’t able or willing to comprehend that.

Reactions: indy1203
Part of Fred's basketball legacy just made it to the Elite 8.

I rooted like hell for the women tonight and loved that they won. It’s cool to be on top of the B10 in baseball, and for the first time I can remember I’m genuinely confident and excited about the upcoming football season, but at INDIANA you’re judged on the performance of the men’s basketball team. He didn’t have to destroy this program to build everyone else up. If we’re going to excuse FG’s failure because of these other factors, then it’s over. We’ve lost our identity and what made us special, maybe forever.

I rooted like hell for the women tonight and loved that they won. It’s cool to be on top of the B10 in baseball, and for the first time I can remember I’m genuinely confident and excited about the upcoming football season, but at INDIANA you’re judged on the performance of the men’s basketball team. He didn’t have to destroy this program to build everyone else up. If we’re going to excuse FG’s failure because of these other factors, then it’s over. We’ve lost our identity and what made us special, maybe forever.

The problem is he didn’t destroy the program.

I disagree. In hindsight, it was a brilliant move. If Fred had not extended on Nov 2011, he likely would have AFTER a S16 run. Probably sometime during the summer of 2012.

But if Fred decided not to extend at that time, he definitely would have during the 15-16 season, with a 2nd BT title, #1 seed, and ranked #1. And an extension likely would have had a higher buyout.
The extension was in 2012, not 2011 and it had a huge buyout. The original poster has his dates wrong.

Is my memory faulty or didn't UK cancel that series?

Were we not supposed to play at Rupp the next year but they balked?

We wanted home and home and then big arenas two years and they wanted no home and home?
Play the damn game in Indy, every year, with a national TV audience. Glass said no, took his ball, and replaced UK with Mississippi Valley State. The neutral court was fine with Knight for 20 years, but we walked away from the offer.

Reactions: GGary
No, I did not. The extension was in year 5, early, after the S16 run in year 4. Reading is your friend..

Well, then don't incorrectly put "flaming out against Syracuse", which happened on 2016, after the extension line. We lost to UK that year.

Fred got played on the Crean extension, then hired Miller. There are people who won't be satisfied with a F4 unless it comes with Fred's head on a pike.
Fred had the next RMK 60 miles to the north and failed to hire him: that would have set IU for the next 25-30 years. Fred couldn't have failed harder at IU basketball.

Fred had the next RMK 60 miles to the north and failed to hire him: that would have set IU for the next 25-30 years. Fred couldn't have failed harder at IU basketball.
Dolson has done an incredible job with the hirings of Woodson, Fife and Matta. Woodson and his actions have won me over, and I believe the future is bright!

Last edited:
Hated to see AF go, but hopefully PS and XJ are a plus over AF and AD. Woodson and company-find us a 4/3 that can shoot! Big concern is that AF (45%) and AD (38%) were by far the best 3 point shooters on the team.

Last edited:
I remember Tom Pritchard starting a lot. Then you had Devin Dumas, Malik Story, Nick Williams, and Verdell Jones. I think these were guys who played a lot.
Granted it was Crean's 2nd year, but Maurice Creek was a GREAT player, probably the best freshman in the country at the time of his injury. Who knows what would have happened had he been healthy for 3 or 4 years in Bloomington.

That Freshman class had a lot of promise; Creek, Hulls, Watford.....Capobianco.

So you, without a doubt, think BS would have been here for 25-30 years?
Even though, he has specifically stated that he doesn't enjoy recruiting and is please to be in the NBA.
IF FG would have hired him, I would bet he STILL goes to the NBA.

Reactions: rikki-tikka-tava
Granted it was Crean's 2nd year, but Maurice Creek was a GREAT player, probably the best freshman in the country at the time of his injury. Who knows what would have happened had he been healthy for 3 or 4 years in Bloomington.

That Freshman class had a lot of promise; Creek, Hulls, Watford.....Capobianco.
Ah yes...the great Bobby Capobianco. Haris Mujezinović without the raw athletic ability.

Creek was a stud before his body failed him. Hulls and Watford are examples of steady, yearly development. Great 4 yr role players who both ended up 1000 pt scorers.

if you want to see something funny, go search the Pritch dunk on youtube where Buckner starts speaking in tongues on the air...and watch Bobby as the play developed. Poor kid was lost spinning circles in the lane....he's the only person in the gym among 18000 who had no clue why the TAH crowd suddenly exploded in cheer.

ADVERTISEMENT