ADVERTISEMENT

The Assistant Hires Should Be Interesting

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana
Mike Lewis seems a no-brainer but a Really tough get...

Calbert Cheaney seems like a good fit...

Keith Smart would seem a possibility...

Who has Mike Woodson or Matta coached with that might be a good fit?

We still have Roberts and Hunter on campus... Were they part of the problem or can it all be layed on O. and Miller??

You’ve gotta get a big named assistant and pay them a fata$$ pay check. Someone the younger kids will know by name recognition. Don’t have the answer exactly, but you do that and we may be in serious business knowing Thad Matta is on our side.

Start. From. Scratch.

Yeah..., I'd imagine that'll be the case... The only real player development that was evident was that of Race Thompson and I had the feeling that was due more to his work ethic than great coaching...

Calbert was hired by the Pacers as a "Developmental Coach"... That might be the perfect fit for him here (if he's interested)...

I Really like Mike Lewis but would be surprised if we're able to get him...

I don't know what Keith Smart is doing these days...

If Mike Roberts worked well with the team and is respected by them I would hope he is retained. He could add some stability to the players and help with the melding of a team.

I would have to think CMW is giving some serious consideration to retaining Coach Hunter, perhaps Roberts as well--unless Matta feels strongly about bringing in one or more of his coaching acquaintances and Woody accepts his recommendation

Reactions: limestonecowboy
Mike Lewis seems a no-brainer but a Really tough get...

Calbert Cheaney seems like a good fit...

Keith Smart would seem a possibility...

Who has Mike Woodson or Matta coached with that might be a good fit?

We still have Roberts and Hunter on campus... Were they part of the problem or can it all be layed on O. and Miller??

So all IU guys?

Let's not go overboard here. Matta won't recommend that, I bet.

Or were you just rattling off 1 name at a time? If so, sorry.

Lewis is a no brainer.

I posted this on another thread, but what about a Greg Lansing as an assistant if he does not get picked up as a HC somewhere? Has spent the last 11 years as a HC at Indiana State and has spent his entire 26 career at ISU and Iowa so should have plenty of midwest connections for recruiting and has B1G experience

I would have to think CMW is giving some serious consideration to retaining Coach Hunter, perhaps Roberts as well--unless Matta feels strongly about bringing in one or more of his coaching acquaintances and Woody accepts his recommendation

I certainly hope their relationship works that well. I do have some fear about that arrangement getting....awkward.

One thing I know about any human organization is that there has to be a defined pecking order that everybody involved understands and accepts.

So I’ll just ask it: when Matta and Woodson have a disagreement (and they almost certainly will), who prevails? And is the other one going to be OK with that?

Understand, I am not being critical of the hires or even, really, the arrangement. I just want to understand what that is and (more importantly) hope that both of them do too.

ADVERTISEMENT