ADVERTISEMENT

That was a well coached game.

I was critical of the timing and number of subs Archie employed. Our droughts follow those mass substitutions. But, it allows our players to be available and good to go for the last 10 minutes.

I have to remember the game isn't a sprint and we aren't where we will be when these young players get more experience. We are asking our bench to do more than they might be ready to do. It is going to work sometimes and not sometimes.

I would rather be 13-3 and 3-2 than many teams looking up at us from the bottom. 3 total losses after non conference and 5 conference games is pretty damn good!

And hey Archie beat Holtman!
He not only beat him he out coached him. Once our bigs were taken out of the game in 2nd half we started attacking OSU on the wing in between the FT extended and baseline. I have to assume it was by design because we did it in a vast majority of sets. Holtmann had no counter. His team may be Butler prepared, and Butler tough, but he doesn't have the tactical sense for adjustments Stevens (or even Miller) has. Wish Miller prepped as well.

I also can't believe they didn't dribble drive us at every position and pull Wesson out of the lane to open it up so they could. They must not have had film of the last 10 games. lol

Last edited:
He not only beat him he out coached him. Once our bigs were taken out of the game in 2nd half we started attacking OSU on the wing in between the FT extended and baseline. I have to assume it was by design because we did it in a vast majority of sets. Holtmann had no counter. His team may be Butler prepared, and Butler tough, but he doesn't have the tactical sense for adjustments Stevens (or even Miller) has. Wish Miller prepped as well.

I also can't believe they didn't dribble drive us at every position and pull Wesson out of the lane to open it up so they could. They must not have had film of the last 10 games. lol
I just hate our substitutions, almost as much as under crean. That said it's nitpicking. this was a huge win and miller got the kids to play really hard. great win and complainers like myself will have to be quiet for a spell. this was really good stuff today.

I am surprised they didn't just pick and pop all day. Wesson can shoot the three and we hedge everything. It always got an open shot for Wesson or with one more pass.

Reactions: .Gerdis and T.M.P.
Good job Coach Miller. Great focus in the players. Good all around win. Now, let’s get working on this FTs.

Glad we didn't hire Holtmann

Yup me too ...

but the stints were longer with less subs the last two games. I have no issue with the roster going 11 deep, as long as core players are still playing long stints.

Agreed. Honestly though it's an issue not unique to miller. there must be some rationale for it that's lost on me. As some poster pointed out a while back these are kids. they don't need much rest.

The 7 steals in the first half really allowed the 15-1 OhSt run to remain as close as it did...

The tactical sense that Miller has? He’s now 4-1 against Archie. Good win today. Don’t get carried away.

And hey Archie beat Holtman!

At the halftime interview, when asked about IUs hot start, Holtmann said “they knew IU was a good shooting team coming in.” I wondered to myself if it was just typical cliche coach speak or if he was really that clueless. What film have they been watching? Lol

I’m still not quite sure, after watching the game but either way, not a good look on national tv to make a statement that far off.

I too questioned OH State’s strategy, especially after our bigs went to the bench. They had a clear advantage with Wesson, isolated for a pick and roll or pick and pop like they did in the first half. He just drifted around the perimeter looking for his shot. Reminded me of Thomas Bryant. Make one or two early and then look for the 3 the remainder of the game.

T.M.P. said:

The tactical sense that Miller has? He’s now 4-1 against Archie. Good win today. Don’t get carried away.
[/quote]
I think the advantages Holtman has is misleading. He was left with some really good talent and Archie is just now getting his. If TJD and Brunk weren’t here, their bigs would’ve dominated.

I think the advantages Holtman has is misleading. He was left with some really good talent and Archie is just now getting his. If TJD and Brunk weren’t here, their bigs would’ve dominated.[/QUOTE]
Would you say the same thing if the shoe was on the other foot?

Agreed. Honestly though it's an issue not unique to miller. there must be some rationale for it that's lost on me. As some poster pointed out a while back these are kids. they don't need much rest.
The substitutions are going to continue to be sporadic and unpredictable because very few players on this team put up consistent numbers each game. TJD is by far the most consistent and then maybe Smith? After that it is a crapshoot on who is gonna play well.

Go back and read the post I was responding to. This time slow down, take your time, and focus more.
You wrote this:

“The tactical sense that Miller has? He’s now 4-1 against Archie. Good win today. Don’t get carried away.”

That makes no sense. Did you fail out of grammar school?

You wrote this:

“The tactical sense that Miller has? He’s now 4-1 against Archie. Good win today. Don’t get carried away.”

That makes no sense. Did you fail out of grammar school?
Go back and read again. Slower this time.

I was critical of the timing and number of subs Archie employed. Our droughts follow those mass substitutions. But, it allows our players to be available and good to go for the last 10 minutes.

I have to remember the game isn't a sprint and we aren't where we will be when these young players get more experience. We are asking our bench to do more than they might be ready to do. It is going to work sometimes and not sometimes.

I would rather be 13-3 and 3-2 than many teams looking up at us from the bottom. 3 total losses after non conference and 5 conference games is pretty damn good!

Yes, but those three wins have coma against the bottom of the conference. I'm hopeful we step up. January is important.

Miller pointed that weakness out on the sidelines during a timeout. That’s why you saw it on the court. Also, our perimeter players did a much better job stopping drives though there were a few WTF out of position moments.

Go back and read again. Slower this time.
I'm not a grammar expert but you must be a grammar dunce. Aloha is right that your post makes no sense the way you wrote it. Your absence wasn't long enough.

I think the advantages Holtman has is misleading. He was left with some really good talent and Archie is just now getting his. If TJD and Brunk weren’t here, their bigs would’ve dominated.
Would you say the same thing if the shoe was on the other foot?[/QUOTE]
Brunk and TJD were huge recruits for IU!

Miller pointed that weakness out on the sidelines during a timeout. That’s why you saw it on the court. Also, our perimeter players did a much better job stopping drives though there were a few WTF out of position moments.
Most team have taken the bigs out of the lane to eliminate the help. Holtmann for some reason decided not to.

Would you say the same thing if the shoe was on the other foot?
Brunk and TJD were huge recruits for IU![/QUOTE]
I wouldn’t call Brunk “huge”. He didn’t start at Butler after all.

He’s important to this team because of this staff’s inability to recruit better players. He wouldn’t be playing significant minutes at major programs.

TJD was a big time recruit, absolutely.

I'm not a grammar expert but you must be a grammar dunce. Aloha is right that your post makes no sense the way you wrote it. Your absence wasn't long enough.
It’s a message board not a literature textbook.

Anyone could read what I wrote and understand what I was saying. Attacking someone’s grammar on here is the textbook deflection when someone has nothing intelligent to say on the topic.

Reactions: cryano
Brunk and TJD were huge recruits for IU!
I wouldn’t call Brunk “huge”. He didn’t start at Butler after all.

He’s important to this team because of this staff’s inability to recruit better players. He wouldn’t be playing significant minutes at major programs.

TJD was a big time recruit, absolutely.[/QUOTE]
Brunk is better at IU than he ever was at Butler.
IU needed a healthy big man.
Brunk plays hard, and is an emotional leader something IU sorely needed.
TJD is a stud Freshman.

Reactions: MrBing
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT