ADVERTISEMENT

That’s why we are an ex-blue blood

jbriegel

Redshirt
Sep 11, 2016
Oh, we can’t fire Archie during COVID ...... oh we can’t do ... whatever. Here’s the deal; we aren’t serious about this at the top. Fans are. Admin doesn’t really care.

Oh, we can’t fire Archie during COVID ...... oh we can’t do ... whatever. Here’s the deal; we aren’t serious about this at the top. Fans are. Admin doesn’t really care.

I run into a lot of fans — virtually and otherwise — who truly believe we’re on the right path.

That’s a big part of the problem. Too many of us have lowered our expectations and confuse that for wise and proper patience.

Reactions: Wyohoosier1
I run into a lot of fans — virtually and otherwise — who truly believe we’re on the right path.

That’s a big part of the problem. Too many of us have lowered our expectations and confuse that for wise and proper patience.
You must live in a different part of the state than me. I can't even find people who care enough to discuss IU basketball. Apathy is rampant in Southern Indiana. The ones I knew who did care all died off the past 20 years. My wife did say she saw some posts on Facebook so they do still exist. Haha.

Reactions: Klaus 7196

Agree, but I don't think anybody thought it would be this crappy.

Having said that, I think this team is one great shooter away from being in the top half of the conference. Alas, we...yet again...we have none.

I hold onto the hope we will get it right one of these times.

Having said that, I think this team is one great shooter away from being in the top half of the conference. Alas, we...yet again...we have none.

Parker Stewart beat Steph in Horse at a AAU camp

Reactions: aajohn2000
The fans are part of the problem. If the most rabid ones had their way, we'd have another d*ck like Knight abusing our players again.

What a load of tosh.

First, name me a coach out there who’s even remotely like RMK. Second, if RMK was really that abusive, why did so many of his former players come back to honor him when he returned to AH?

I don’t want to get into a discussion about Knight. Nobody wants our players abused. That’s hogwash.

We want somebody who can put tough teams on the floor. And there are plenty of coaches out there capable of that.

Just not the one we have now.

What galls me is Sampson is having quite some success at U of H. To think he is the best IU coach in the last 14 years.

What galls me is Sampson is having quite some success at U of H. To think he is the best IU coach in the last 14 years.
He's actually a pretty good coach, just a knucklehead. He beat PU on the first try, made the NCAA's in first year.

Reactions: kkott
Easily. It’s just too bad that the PTBs couldn’t keep him from stepping out of line — even after knowing that he was prone to.

Anyway, that’s water over the bridge.

I bet 'those' fans are might quiet right about now. And looking at the schedule, are about to go into hibernation. We aren't going to see a step forward this year without some drastic turnaround. This year's results will be worse than last year.

Reactions: Klaus 7196

Top half of the conference? That's the bar for one of the highest paid coaches in the country? Good Lord, I hope this is sarcasm

Easily. It’s just too bad that the PTBs couldn’t keep him from stepping out of line — even after knowing that he was prone to.

Anyway, that’s water over the bridge.
What got him was that he lied about it to the NCAA. It was BS, now legal, but I think he didn't want to look bad after what happened to RMK. Never should have been fired. I'd take him back and consider the fact that Pitino is back, he was technically acquitted personally, no show cause, and would be available. He might be guilty of running a circus, but he wasn't caught on tape like others that still have jobs ... including our genius coach's brother of out and out bribery ... that's why he's back

Leal is a year behind. That kid just needs to keep shooting his 500 made threes every day at practice. I think he can and will get there. Armaan is becoming a very reliable scorer. We have Trayce who is a beast. The problem with Leal is we don't have time for him to "get there". We need it NOW. At some point, you stop looking at the players and focus on the coach. When I watch our offense, I still can't see what it is exactly we are trying to do in our sets. It seems as though we have no purpose. Not sure a great shooter fixes an offense that isn't designed to weaponize our strengths. With no purpose, it certainly makes it easy to defend.

What got him was that he lied about it to the NCAA. It was BS, now legal, but I think he didn't want to look bad after what happened to RMK. Never should have been fired. I'd take him back and consider the fact that Pitino is back, he was technically acquitted personally, no show cause, and would be available. He might be guilty of running a circus, but he wasn't caught on tape like others that still have jobs ... including our genius coach's brother of out and out bribery ... that's why he's back
Let us not forget the kind of players we had on our team. Not exactly the quality from a non-basketball sense. If I recall correctly, we had no shortage of drug and in class issues. Kids were flunking and smoking dope. Our man Dan came in and played sheriff to clean up the mess and then Crean came and finished it. If I am wrong here, please refresh my memory. But I recall it being bad.

Top half of the conference? That's the bar for one of the highest paid coaches in the country? Good Lord, I hope this is sarcasm

I didn't say it was my bar.

I'm old school, man. My 1st pic taken was in an IU onesie in 1972.

I know the time.

He lied about it to Greenspan, and it ended up costing both of them their jobs. KS wouldn’t follow the rules, and he actively worked to conceal what he said he wasn’t doing and would never do again. He wasn’t trustworthy or honorable. Academically, things fell apart, and he had a responsibility to demand a higher level of dedication to school from the players. He didn’t care so they didn’t care, and there were no consequences. Very good coach, he cultivated trouble.

What needs to be done is Archie needs fired today, and let one of the assistants act as interim for the rest of the season. The search for a new coach needs to start right after Archie is terminated. The search needs to be thorough, and the pocket needs to be deep. They need to make the right hire this time. A true blue blood would do it.

What will happen is IU will stick with Archie for the rest of the season and next. If they get in the tournament next year then all of the people in the pro-Archie camp will proclaim progress is being made and blah blah blah.

IU doesn't have the balls to fire him, and to throw cash at a big name. IU basketball is dead.

Let us not forget the kind of players we had on our team. Not exactly the quality from a non-basketball sense. If I recall correctly, we had no shortage of drug and in class issues. Kids were flunking and smoking dope. Our man Dan came in and played sheriff to clean up the mess and then Crean came and finished it. If I am wrong here, please refresh my memory. But I recall it being bad.
I can refresh it, Dan did it. I'm not sure Crean agreed with all he'd broke. Crean did not do it, Dan did it, and who the F cares if players are smoking pot, better than them running over themselves drunk driving. Players have always smoked ... so they don't feel inclined to drink, which, I have no problem with. Dan was a dick, which is why he was not even considered for the job. Going to class yes, but just being a dick all around, wasn't fit for the job. Let's let them smoke and have less dangerous, career ending DUI's

What a load of tosh.

First, name me a coach out there who’s even remotely like RMK. Second, if RMK was really that abusive, why did so many of his former players come back to honor him when he returned to AH?

I don’t want to get into a discussion about Knight. Nobody wants our players abused. That’s hogwash.

We want somebody who can put tough teams on the floor. And there are plenty of coaches out there capable of that.

Just not the one we have now.
Exactly. Do people think Roy W.,K,Boeheim don't rail on their players in practice. I think Archie must have a knitting class during practice because these guys other than Davis,Thompson and Franklin ain't tough enough.

I bet 'those' fans are might quiet right about now. And looking at the schedule, are about to go into hibernation. We aren't going to see a step forward this year without some drastic turnaround. This year's results will be worse than last year.
and next year even worse, more than likely

What needs to be done is Archie needs fired today, and let one of the assistants act as interim for the rest of the season. The search for a new coach needs to start right after Archie is terminated. The search needs to be thorough, and the pocket needs to be deep. They need to make the right hire this time. A true blue blood would do it.

What will happen is IU will stick with Archie for the rest of the season and next. If they get in the tournament next year then all of the people in the pro-Archie camp will proclaim progress is being made and blah blah blah.

IU doesn't have the balls to fire him, and to throw cash at a big name. IU basketball is dead.
I think they'll fire him, but just let him fade off. I'd love him fired yesterday, that's not how it's gonna go though pragmatically. There's definite jeopardy of a tourney this year, and we'll suck next year too, when the pandemic might still be affecting things. Maybe they should act if the team quits again or a home run hire shows up. It sucks, but I'm just kind of resigned to it and it does make sense if there's nothing to win ... just let him run out his contract, start fresh

To me, it's clear that it just isn't working out with Archie. It's labor to watch and looks like labor for the players to play. I wish that weren't the case. But there are two key questions:

1) is firing Archie this year worth the additional money it would take to do that. He's due 100% of his remaining contract, and that number goes down to 50% if fired next year. Is doing it this year worth that dollar amount. (I didn't do my homework, is that an extra $10m, $15m on top of the next year dollar amount?) Would some of that be offset by his next gig or not?

2)Can you get a coach this year to get the job done?

I don't know the answer to either of those, but I suspect their harder to answer than most of us understand. If you could get the best and most unlikely candidates (Stevens, Donovan), it's clearly worth it. I think those are nearly impossible. So, is it worth whoever is next on the list?

Does IU need a showman of a coach? Knight was that, both for better and worse.

It's better to have history ..Than not.
Geez..Us older Hoosiers have seen three National Championships.....Only 5 teams have more than that..That's out of 350 schools..
Hell I can die happy..
On top of that ..TheZeller's gave me 4 Indiana High School titles...
Honestly I just dont flip out about anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT