ADVERTISEMENT

Thank You Fred Glass...

IUFANBB

Benchwarmer
Oct 31, 2012
While I liked the hire of CTA when it happened, there were many who complained about a National search not being conducted. That we had just hired another guy with no college head coaching experience. We were staring at another 5 year plan for IU Football until the next hire.

Obviously, Fred Glass was not a dumb guy, but I think now that he saw in 1 year what we all see today after a couple seasons. The guy understands good defense, the kids trust him, he has good recruiting ties to Florida, he is a players coach & a Hoosier native.

I'm sure that FG has been sitting back in his favorite recliner watching CTA and IU Football & just grinning ear-to-ear.

Thanks for finally making the right hire for IU Football..

While I liked the hire of CTA when it happened, there were many who complained about a National search not being conducted. That we had just hired another guy with no college head coaching experience. We were staring at another 5 year plan for IU Football until the next hire.

Obviously, Fred Glass was not a dumb guy, but I think now that he saw in 1 year what we all see today after a couple seasons. The guy understands good defense, the kids trust him, he has good recruiting ties to Florida, he is a players coach & a Hoosier native.

I'm sure that FG has been sitting back in his favorite recliner watching CTA and IU Football & just grinning ear-to-ear.

Come on, get it right, you are underselling it. There were not many who complained, there were MANY, maybe even most that complained.

Comments about a "high school" coach. Comments are another "hire on the cheap". Comments about how FG did not value football and he should not get credit for building facilities because anyone would have done the same with the BTN money. As you stated, comments about no national search. It was a constant drumbeat.

I responded more than once that maybe, just maybe FG saw something in CTA that made him believe that CTA was THE guy for IU football.

I'm no huge Wilson fan, but let's remember he's the guy - - not Glass - - who made the initial CTA hire. And it didn't take genius to conclude that Allen was an outstanding coach and leader after he engineered, in one year, the transformation of Indiana's defense from laughingstock to the talk of the college football world.

When Glass promoted him to head coach, the naysayers were primarily: 1) idiots; 2) trolls; and/or 3) Purdue fans.

I agree Wilson had the confidence to bring him in as DC without much of any prior relationship with him and seemingly let him go on defense. But no question, FG took heat on the hire, many questioned it and were highly critical for about 2 seasons.

I liked him from the start as he really reminded me of Hep, being a highly enthusiastic native Hoosier. He had also been a winner at his prior stops - albeit high school - as a HC. Winning habits often translate wherever you go.

Enthusiasm, leadership and passion can go a long way and so too can the importance of a great culture. Seems like IU is tracking for a sustainable program, and if those who are supposed to return next year come back as believe they will, next year could be as good or better than this year. It's the 2022 recruiting class that will need to be our best ever, as we will be losing a LOT of starters after 2021, but there will also be a lot of RS FR/SO ready to move up (and who will have experience already) so I'm bullish the talent is being replenished nicely and the reputation is growing every day as a place good players and their parents will want to come play for a guy like Tom Allen.

Reactions: td75 and vesuvius13
Come on, get it right, you are underselling it. There were not many who complained, there were MANY, maybe even most that complained.

Comments about a "high school" coach. Comments are another "hire on the cheap". Comments about how FG did not value football and he should not get credit for building facilities because anyone would have done the same with the BTN money. As you stated, comments about no national search. It was a constant drumbeat.

I responded more than once that maybe, just maybe FG saw something in CTA that made him believe that CTA was THE guy for IU football.
I don’t know I do remember some people defending the hire but I remember an awful lot condemning the hire, condemning Fred Glass and saying how we would never catch Purdue which was not a real lofty goal and seems even less now but that’s another topic for another time.

I'm no huge Wilson fan, but let's remember he's the guy - - not Glass - - who made the initial CTA hire. And it didn't take genius to conclude that Allen was an outstanding coach and leader after he engineered, in one year, the transformation of Indiana's defense from laughingstock to the talk of the college football world.

When Glass promoted him to head coach, the naysayers were primarily: 1) idiots; 2) trolls; and/or 3) Purdue fans.

Glass spent hours with Allen prior to his hire as DC going over his philosophy and mindset. I think Glass spent as much time in the interview process as Wilson vetting Tom Allen.

Actually, Allen was referred to Wilson. Wilson had no clue who he was. Somebody in his coaching network steered him to Allen.

Credit Wilson for the hire but by no means did he spend a bunch of time tracking the guy down and putting in all the legwork to unearth him.

Reactions: iueyedoc99 and mk23

What a pathetic, ass-kissing post this is. Yes, let’s heap praise FG for the one decent hire he made in about ten years. Blind squirrel. Nut. You know the drill.

Reactions: IUgradman
Glass spent hours with Allen prior to his hire as DC going over his philosophy and mindset. I think Glass spent as much time in the interview process as Wilson vetting Tom Allen.

Actually, Allen was referred to Wilson. Wilson had no clue who he was. Somebody in his coaching network steered him to Allen.

Credit Wilson for the hire but by no means did he spend a bunch of time tracking the guy down and putting in all the legwork to unearth him.
I don't know how much time or "legwork" was put in my Wilson regarding the Allen hire (as DC). Maybe it was days, maybe it was a half hour but, whatever it was, it was enough. Allen came to Bloomington because of Wilson, not Glass. How do I know that? Because Glass said so:

Surprisingly, Glass had no idea who Allen was when Kevin Wilson gave him the reigns of the defense, hiring Allen from the University of South Florida to turn around a defense that was ranked 120th out of 130.

“I give Coach Wilson a lot of credit for identifying Tom. I had never heard of him, and we were in recruiting mode and I remember walking around my dining room table quite a bit telling him what our vision was. I saw him come here and buy in, believe and change the culture from the defensive side of the ball,” Glass said.

At his introductory press conference in December of 2016, Allen talked about working for Wilson and thanked him for the opportunity.

“He believed in me and gave me a charge when I came here to be the head coach of the defense, to change the culture of the defense and that’s what we did. The players believed, they played with amazing passion,” Allen said.

https://indiana.rivals.com/news/fre...-became-open-i-was-convinced-tom-was-the-guy-

He had more than one good hire. He accomplished a lot of other things in his tenure. The athletic department is much better than before.

Sorry, I really don’t give a damn about the hires in baseball, soccer, bowling, pickle ball, etc. Neither does anyone else, btw. I find it ironic that your boy’s best hire was from the inside instead of the result of a national search, recommendation of a 12 person committee or any of that other BS that he was always so fond of.

If you want to campaign on here to retroactively rehabilitate the SOB’s image that’s your prerogative. I won’t participate and I’m sure I’m not alone.

Sorry, I really don’t give a damn about the hires in baseball, soccer, bowling, pickle ball, etc. Neither does anyone else, btw. I find it ironic that your boy’s best hire was from the inside instead of the result of a national search, recommendation of a 12 person committee or any of that other BS that he was always so fond of.

If you want to campaign on here to retroactively rehabilitate the SOB’s image that’s your prerogative. I won’t participate and I’m sure I’m not alone.

This is the difference between alumni and Basketball subway alumni.

Glass' overall body of work was stellar.

Twenty four sports, one team.

Also, the FG fan club on here repeatedly overstate the importance of facility upgrades. You can have the best facilities in the world and if you can’t make the right personnel decisions it doesn’t mean squat.

These are not mutually exclusive. What....again, did FG do to "kill the golden goose" Be specific.

Also, the FG fan club on here repeatedly overstate the importance of facility upgrades. You can have the best facilities in the world and if you can’t make the right personnel decisions it doesn’t mean squat.
Didn't Greenspan already have plans for facility upgrades
well underway?

@RunninRichie having nightmares about Richmond. Likely won’t hear from him for awhile.
No reason to fret we lost to a senior team picked to win the A-10, with a team of all new players in the second game of the season. Meanwhile, IU has been reduced to hoping they finish in the top 10 of the big ten and make the tourney.

So the only sport that matters is men’s basketball?

No, football is very important as well, especially to the bottom line. I want a consistently successful football program (never seen during Glass’ tenure btw). Men’s basketball matters more though. Both at Indiana University and throughout the state. Now tell me how important tennis is...

No, football is very important as well, especially to the bottom line. I want a consistently successful football program (never seen during Glass’ tenure btw). Men’s basketball matters more though. Both at Indiana University and throughout the state. Now tell me how important tennis is...

Now tell us how he "killed the golden goose".

Didn't Greenspan already have plans for facility upgrades
well underway?

Yes.. Some

The North endzone project was underway under greenspan. Fred took things to the next three levels in multiple venues. Hell, he even redid the purple lots. Th baseball and softball complex is stunning as is the Wrestling/volleyball site, and TAH upgrades make the icon even more elite.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
So the lack of football success only happened during the Glass era?

Killed the Golden Goose?... Ha. Financially, men's basketball is always going to be behind football in revenue. IU"s football program contributes about 41 million in revenue and ranks 12th in the B1G in football revenue. The basketball program is 1st in the B1G in basketball with 24.9 million. The upside to football compared to basketball is three to four times greater in potential earnings. Even with the popularity of March Madness basketball hasn't gained any ground against football when it comes to making the schools a dollar. Clearly, football is the Golden Goose and for IU any success on the field that can be sustained for a number of years can add much more to IU's bottom line than the b'ball program which is already at the top of the list.

Reactions: Tokyo Steve
Look it is obvious you have some kind of axe to grind with Fred Glass. That is fine. But there are others such as yourself. But there are many of us that acknowledge that IU athletics are in a better place than before he took over . Overall the facilities are better. The coaches are better. The recognition nationally is better in more sports than just men’s basketball and soccer. We are more competitive in more sports. True Archie has not delivered as of yet and he may never but let’s see what happens if it does not happen soon then maybe we go in another direction. But to say Fred Glass was a bust simply because of basketball is being unfair.

We are more competitive in more sports. True Archie has not delivered as of yet and he may never but let’s see what happens if it does not happen soon then maybe we go in another direction. But to say Fred Glass was a bust simply because of basketball is being unfair.
For a certain small but loud subset, it's not about IU Athletics, it's about IU Basketball. They will never forgive Glass for the Crean extension or for not firing him sooner or for hiring Miller instead of [fill in the blank]. There is no sense even engaging them on the subject. Their minds are slammed shut.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT