ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Wins In California Exodus

mohoosier

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 6, 2001
Florida
It comes down to competition and survival. This study only covers the past 3 1/2 years, but this started a long time ago.

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/news/texas-wins-in-california-exodus-5132372

https://www.hoover.org/sites/default/files/research/docs/21117-ohanian-vranich.pdf

https://www.thecentersquare.com/cal...cle_b0add24a-753b-11eb-97bc-5bb1b2df1e43.html

It’s not just businesses either. California’s population numbers decreased in 2020 - first time in recorded history, and enough to lose a congressional seat.

It comes down to competition and survival. This study only covers the past 3 1/2 years, but this started a long time ago.

https://www.hoover.org/sites/default/files/research/docs/21117-ohanian-vranich.pdf

https://www.thecentersquare.com/cal...cle_b0add24a-753b-11eb-97bc-5bb1b2df1e43.html

It’s not just businesses either. California’s population numbers decreased in 2020 - first time in recorded history, and enough to lose a congressional seat.

Problem is.......they're letting in a lot of Californians.....hopefully. most are Republicans.

Reactions: ulrey and mohoosier

What exactly did Texas win? I think it was Hoops or Bulk who just posted an article showing CA has the world's #5 largest economy. If Texas wants to keep companies moving there they better find a balance that allows these companies to staff their locations in Texas. By all accounts, SB 8 is not going to allow for top talent to call Texas home...

"Texas employers may lose skilled workers as a result of the restrictive abortion law that went into effect on Wednesday. According to a new poll by PerryUndem, 66% of college-educated workers say they would not take a job in a state that prohibits abortions after six weeks of pregnancy, as Texas now does after the U.S. Supreme Court failed to intervene on Senate Bill 8. Roughly half of respondents said they would consider moving out of a state that passed such restrictions."

Now you likely don't think that's a big deal, but you're not a state (like Texas) that has grand designs on becoming a tech powerhouse to rival CA. And Texas-based businesses are responding...

"Lyft and Uber pledged to cover the legal costs of any employees taken to court for driving someone to get an abortion, Dallas dating conglomerate Match and Austin online survey company QuestionPro say they will cover the costs for any employee who travels out of state to get an abortion, and Salesforce told employees on Friday that if any of them have "concerns about access to reproductive health care in your state, Salesforce will help relocate you and members of your immediate family."

Gaurab Chakrabarti, CEO of Silicon Valley–backed Houston chemicals startup Solugen, said the company plans to open a new research and development facility, and "we've come to the conclusion after talking to lots of candidates that they want to join Solugen but they don't feel comfortable coming to Texas, so for us it's become a no brainer to have R&D facilities elsewhere." Chief technology officer Sean Hunt added that "this isn't really about politics," but rather "bad legislation if Texas wants to be a business-friendly state."

Reactions: IU_Hickory
What exactly did Texas win? I think it was Hoops or Bulk who just posted an article showing CA has the world's #5 largest economy. If Texas wants to keep companies moving there they better find a balance that allows these companies to staff their locations in Texas. By all accounts, SB 8 is not going to allow for top talent to call Texas home...

"Texas employers may lose skilled workers as a result of the restrictive abortion law that went into effect on Wednesday. According to a new poll by PerryUndem, 66% of college-educated workers say they would not take a job in a state that prohibits abortions after six weeks of pregnancy, as Texas now does after the U.S. Supreme Court failed to intervene on Senate Bill 8. Roughly half of respondents said they would consider moving out of a state that passed such restrictions."

Now you likely don't think that's a big deal, but you're not a state (like Texas) that has grand designs on becoming a tech powerhouse to rival CA. And Texas-based businesses are responding...

"Lyft and Uber pledged to cover the legal costs of any employees taken to court for driving someone to get an abortion, Dallas dating conglomerate Match and Austin online survey company QuestionPro say they will cover the costs for any employee who travels out of state to get an abortion, and Salesforce told employees on Friday that if any of them have "concerns about access to reproductive health care in your state, Salesforce will help relocate you and members of your immediate family."

Gaurab Chakrabarti, CEO of Silicon Valley–backed Houston chemicals startup Solugen, said the company plans to open a new research and development facility, and "we've come to the conclusion after talking to lots of candidates that they want to join Solugen but they don't feel comfortable coming to Texas, so for us it's become a no brainer to have R&D facilities elsewhere." Chief technology officer Sean Hunt added that "this isn't really about politics," but rather "bad legislation if Texas wants to be a business-friendly state."
You might want to look at the tech companies leaving/left calif for Texas. You might want to look at the residents of calif that have left for Texas over the last decade. Calif pop is maintained by internationals from what I've read. Calif housing is such an issue they are selling fractional interests. Cheaper homes is the driving force behind the exodus. and i trust (have heard) some businesses are leaving because texas is more business friendly: taxes/regs etc.

As for the economy calif should prosper. The inherent advantages the state has are enormous.

At the end of the day california is just a spectacular place that if you had the money to me is incomparable to anywhere else

Last edited:
Reactions: The Vid
Nothing to see here. Move along.

"Nothing to see here. Move along."

I'd say the unintentional irony is that there really is nothing to see here, despite the Foxbot wanting to pretend this is a major story. The people affected were allowed to cast provisional ballots, do I need to link to stories about how many Dem voters in GOP-controlled states are forced to cast provisional ballots in GOP-controlled states during every election cycle?

I went back to the source- I'm not even sure what they're claiming? It's not even election day so this is early voting sites, which are usually frequented by Dems. I can't even find enough info on voting demographics in Woodland Hills to know if this is a GOP or Pub Precinct, but I did see that they had issues in the past 2020 election involving incomplete ballots being delivered which affected both Dem and Pub voters...

I know that long voting lines in GA (with a GOP-controlled electoral mechanism) was said by the GOP to be the local Dem's fault, so I assume that the same applies to CA. If the GA GOP is not responsible for inconveniencing voters in Dem precincts, then surely the exact same is true in CA and the state Dem Govt is not responsible for problems in GOP precincts, right? You're not going to embarrass yourself by trying to apply a blatant, and obvious double standard. Are you?

Not to mention that the whole story is anecdotal at best, and the use of the word "several" by the Foxbot would at the very least require some sense of what constitutes "several". I don't even know what you are trying to claim happened, the article mentioned an issue with computers which was corrected, and then voting resumed...

You might want to look at the tech companies leaving/left calif for Texas. You might want to look at the residents of calif that have left for Texas over the last decade. Calif pop is maintained by internationals from what I've read. Calif housing is such an issue they are selling fractional interests. Cheaper homes is the driving force behind the exodus. and i trust (have heard) some businesses are leaving because texas is more business friendly: taxes/regs etc.

As for the economy calif should prosper. The inherent advantages the state has are enormous.

At the end of the day california is just a spectacular place that if you had the money to me is incomparable to anywhere else
Yep, housing costs are the primary reason for leaving Cali and it's not like there are just ample vacant houses sitting on the market. Houses in the bay area sell for $200-800K+ above list price within a few days. My younger coworkers out here talk about leaving and may only stay due to a family/partner attachment to the area. People want to buy houses and that's not an option unless you make the big bucks, which isn't likely if you work in higher ed.

We pay $3300/month for an old 1200 sq ft house that's worth $3M. Our plan was to stay 2-3 years but we missed owning a house so we're moving back to CO later this month. Closing on a 2500 sq ft house with a mortgage that's half of our rent here.

Anyway, yeah... I'd definitely stay here if housing was cheaper. Can't beat taking the baby on strolls along the ocean.

Yep, housing costs are the primary reason for leaving Cali and it's not like there are just ample vacant houses sitting on the market. Houses in the bay area sell for $200-800K+ above list price within a few days. My younger coworkers out here talk about leaving and may only stay due to a family/partner attachment to the area. People want to buy houses and that's not an option unless you make the big bucks, which isn't likely if you work in higher ed.

We pay $3300/month for an old 1200 sq ft house that's worth $3M. Our plan was to stay 2-3 years but we missed owning a house so we're moving back to CO later this month. Closing on a 2500 sq ft house with a mortgage that's half of our rent here.

Anyway, yeah... I'd definitely stay here if housing was cheaper. Can't beat taking the baby on strolls along the ocean.
Just beautiful. My buddy was in town this past weekend and shared they just closed on a house outside of Denver. $150k over asking. Not calif but it's no bargain there either now. The last year has been nuts

You might want to look at the tech companies leaving/left calif for Texas. You might want to look at the residents of calif that have left for Texas over the last decade. Calif pop is maintained by internationals. Calif housing is such an issue they are selling fractional interests. Cheaper homes is the driving force behind the exodus. and i trust (have heard) some businesses are leaving because texas is more business friendly: taxes/regs etc.

I think you're lecturing me and assuming I don't know all about the exodus. But I took issue with the focus of Mo's post, which while accurate, does not take into account the issues that have transpired since the passage of HB 8.

My post was based on an article in Forbes, discussing a WAPO report that some of the tech startups and various industries that had relocated to Texas were not happy with the abortion bill. Part of it was the poll I linked to that is causing some of these industries to question their decision to relocate. I even quoted the CEO of Solugen which indicated the company was seriously considering moving...

Btw, nothing in Mo's post is new, you yourself have posted about this issue on more than one occasion. His characterization of Texas as "winning" is (IMHO) misleading, and the migration of CA-based companies to Red states is a double-edged sword since one can argue (pretty convincingly) that the purpling of both AZ and TX is due in no small measure to expatriates from CA who bring their political values. You can even see that happening in ID and MT as well, where larger cities are becoming more blue tinged...

It's ironic that both Mo and I posted based on different articles from the same source (Forbes). His is an opinion piece from a Koch Bros affiliated guest columnist, while mine is from a member of Forbes staff. Admittedly mine may also have an axe to grind since she's a female clearly upset with SB 8.

And since the article Mo cited discusses CA transplants to various sites all over the US, I think one could argue that "liberal transplants" whether strictly from CA or not are a huge reason Dems are now competitive in GA and also that NC has a Dem Governor and VA is solidly Blue...

I am curious why you chose to respond to me as if I was unaware of an issue frequently discussed on this board, and decided against levelling any (gentle) criticism against Mo for a topic we've repeatedly mentioned which his OP sheds no new light on? And if we're being honest, I propose that one of the greatest factors driving economic conditions in CA which are the reason for most of the migration is the success of Silicon Valley. That's another example of a double-edged sword as well...

I think you're lecturing me and assuming I don't know all about the exodus. But I took issue with the focus of Mo's post, which while accurate, does not take into account the issues that have transpired since the passage of HB 8.

My post was based on an article in Forbes, discussing a WAPO report that some of the tech startups and various industries that had relocated to Texas were not happy with the abortion bill. Part of it was the poll I linked to that is causing some of these industries to question their decision to relocate. I even quoted the CEO of Solugen which indicated the company was seriously considering moving...

Btw, nothing in Mo's post is new, you yourself have posted about this issue on more than one occasion. His characterization of Texas as "winning" is (IMHO) misleading, and the migration of CA-based companies to Red states is a double-edged sword since one can argue (pretty convincingly) that the purpling of both AZ and TX is due in no small measure to expatriates from CA who bring their political values. You can even see that happening in ID and MT as well, where larger cities are becoming more blue tinged...

It's ironic that both Mo and I posted based on different articles from the same source (Forbes). His is an opinion piece from a Koch Bros affiliated guest columnist, while mine is from a member of Forbes staff. Admittedly mine may also have an axe to grind since she's a female clearly upset with SB 8.

And since the article Mo cited discusses CA transplants to various sites all over the US, I think one could argue that "liberal transplants" whether strictly from CA or not are a huge reason Dems are now competitive in GA and also that NC has a Dem Governor and VA is solidly Blue...

I am curious why you chose to respond to me as if I was unaware of an issue frequently discussed on this board, and decided against levelling any (gentle) criticism against Mo for a topic we've repeatedly mentioned which his OP sheds no new light on? And if we're being honest, I propose that one of the greatest factors driving economic conditions in CA which are the reason for most of the migration is the success of Silicon Valley. That's another example of a double-edged sword as well...
Tl/dr

Reactions: jet812
Just beautiful. My buddy was in town this past weekend and shared they just closed on a house outside of Denver. $150k over asking. Not calif but it's no bargain there either now. The last year has been nuts
That's crazy. I usually don't see numbers that high above asking in CO. Typically, the amounts are $30-50K over asking but I've seen those numbers drop some because sellers started asking for too much. The low-interest rates are certainly a factor too.

We owned our first house in CO for 18 months and sold it for $75K more than we paid, which we didn't really expect. I don't see the market here slowing down any time soon either.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

So you're pleased that the whole country will lose when these liberal grifters bring their nonsense with them to red states....great.

• Haha
So you're pleased that the whole country will lose when these liberal grifters bring their nonsense with them to red states....great.
You are a bit more insane than most hillbillies .. we get it, the cool kids never invited you to parties and the pretty girls laughed at you but that's no reason to become a wing nut rube ..

You are a bit more insane than most hillbillies .. we get it, the cool kids never invited you to parties and the pretty girls laughed at you but that's no reason to become a wing nut rube ..
You horrible childhood is no reason to project that on to other people. We get it, you are a really sad person who's life is sh*tty

We see society and politics differently, and I'm much more concerned with social issues than economic policies. I think far more people are aligned with my beliefs, and I think depending on how old you are you may live long enough to see yourself relegated to political relic status.

But if you want to see the definition of "grift" you should see the text messages on my phone. I have never donated money to either party, although I have signed a petition or two for various liberal causes. I get a text from the Dems at the rate of 1 per every 6 weeks or so asking for a donation...

On the other hand, I once made the mistake of answering one of those "Do you support Trump" online polls. I said no, and ever since then, I have received a daily barrage of text messages from every right-wing politician you can imagine urging me to spend money to help Trump because apparently, Trump is broke.

Two so far today. the first "Asking all "Trump Patriots" to confirm their status before Trump's biggest rally in GA". I have no idea when Trump is scheduled to be in GA. And when they ask "Are you a Trump supporter or have you abandoned him?" you'd think my failure to respond would be a clue- the website is gopwin.us with whatever subsite that particular offer is being funnelled to...

2 hrs later... "We need major reinforcements. Deadline in 2 days" (no idea wth THAT means)" & we're LOSING to Pelosi. We're desperate. PLEASE stand w/Trump or we will lose". They sure do lose "to Pelosi" pretty frequently. At least 2 or 3 times a week by my calculation...

I imagine I'll get at least one,and possibly two more texts before today is over. But if you want to talk GRIFTING- these clowns wrote the manual... The scary thing is not only that they believe that I would respond with money, but that thousands of suckers actually do. Repeatedly...Trump may be the neediest "billionaire" that I've ever heard of...

We see society and politics differently, and I'm much more concerned with social issues than economic policies. I think far more people are aligned with my beliefs, and I think depending on how old you are you may live long enough to see yourself relegated to political relic status.

But if you want to see the definition of "grift" you should see the text messages on my phone. I have never donated money to either party, although I have signed a petition or two for various liberal causes. I get a text from the Dems at the rate of 1 per every 6 weeks or so asking for a donation...

On the other hand, I once made the mistake of answering one of those "Do you support Trump" online polls. I said no, and ever since then, I have received a daily barrage of text messages from every right-wing politician you can imagine urging me to spend money to help Trump because apparently, Trump is broke.

Two so far today. the first "Asking all "Trump Patriots" to confirm their status before Trump's biggest rally in GA". I have no idea when Trump is scheduled to be in GA. And when they ask "Are you a Trump supporter or have you abandoned him?" you'd think my failure to respond would be a clue- the website is gopwin.us with whatever subsite that particular offer is being funnelled to...

2 hrs later... "We need major reinforcements. Deadline in 2 days" (no idea wth THAT means)" & we're LOSING to Pelosi. We're desperate. PLEASE stand w/Trump or we will lose". They sure do lose "to Pelosi" pretty frequently. At least 2 or 3 times a week by my calculation...

I imagine I'll get at least one,and possibly two more texts before today is over. But if you want to talk GRIFTING- these clowns wrote the manual... The scary thing is not only that they believe that I would respond with money, but that thousands of suckers actually do. Repeatedly...Trump may be the neediest "billionaire" that I've ever heard of...
today's news. that's all politicians do. all of them. when the price of admission to a committee carries a fundraising price tag they're all grifters

Snipe. And there are no counter arguments. Cosmic is forever on a one way street.

Be nice to see you contribute to a topic but alas just triggered snipe.
Sorry it was too much reading for you. I really was curious as to why my post introducing new variables into the mix (SB 8) seemed to garner such disdain from you. Yet Mo's OP of regurgitated points discussed ad nauseum on this board previously, passed without even a comment from you. I was esp curious about that since both of us based our posts on articles from the same source (Forbes)...

You really didn't disprove any of the assertions I made, so it appears Hoot's analysis was correct. I thought my point about transplanted Californians being a double-edged sword and the possibility that Texas was possibly facing a pyrrhic victory if they don't rein in some of their radical Legislators was plausible and well supported by evidence.

Do you want to argue that transplanted Californians aren't a huge reason AZ went Dem for POTUS for the first time in 24 yrs? They also have 2 Dem Senators for the first time in more than 50 yrs, and the first Dem elected to the Senate at all since DeConcini retired in '95.

So I'd argue that (politically) for traditional Red states, the admonition of "careful what you wish for" when it comes to gaining California expatriates might well apply. I'd say NC, GA, and VA are prime examples of that as well, although I'd substitute "liberal East coasters" for Californians in those 3 examples...

Sorry it was too much reading for you. I really was curious as to why my post introducing new variables into the mix (SB 8) seemed to garner such disdain from you. Yet Mo's OP of regurgitated points discussed ad nauseum on this board previously, passed without even a comment from you. I was esp curious about that since both of us based our posts on articles from the same source (Forbes)...

You really didn't disprove any of the assertions I made, so it appears Hoot's analysis was correct. I thought my point about transplanted Californians being a double-edged sword and the possibility that Texas was possibly facing a pyrrhic victory if they don't rein in some of their radical Legislators was plausible and well supported by evidence.

Do you want to argue that transplanted Californians aren't a huge reason AZ went Dem for POTUS for the first time in 24 yrs? They also have 2 Dem Senators for the first time in more than 50 yrs, and the first Dem elected to the Senate at all since DeConcini retired in '95.

So I'd argue that (politically) for traditional Red states, the admonition of "careful what you wish for" when it comes to gaining California expatriates might well apply. I'd say NC, GA, and VA are prime examples of that as well, although I'd substitute "liberal East coasters" for Californians in those 3 examples...
Cosmic I'm not kidding. I didn't read it. I'm not reading these long posts. They're too long. Say it succinctly and I'll read and respond.

As to your instant post I hope voters from blue states don't move to tx and fla and change the laws of the natives. As to their present impact I don't know

today's news. that's all politicians do. all of them. when the price of admission to a committee carries a fundraising price tag they're all grifters

You do realize that I was responding to Mushroom's complaint about "liberal grifters". Right? Just wondering since you chose to take issue with my examples of ACTUAL grifters, and ignored his hyperbolic, generalized characterization of people who happen to vote Blue as "grifters"...

"So you're pleased that the whole country will lose when these liberal grifters bring their nonsense with them to red states....great"

I mean he posted before me and your above reply would have been equally applicable. to his post. Since you know he introduced the subject of grifters...
But you felt the need to only respond to me...;)

You do realize that I was responding to Mushroom's complaint about "liberal grifters". Right? Just wondering since you chose to take issue with my examples of ACTUAL grifters, and ignored his hyperbolic, generalized characterization of people who happen to vote Blue as "grifters"...

"So you're pleased that the whole country will lose when these liberal grifters bring their nonsense with them to red states....great"

I mean he posted before me and your above reply would have been equally applicable. to his post. Since you know he introduced the subject of grifters...
@mushroomgod_1. They are all grifters. Dems and repubs alike. It's literally baked into the system and somehow normalized

You always address tangential issues, usually bringing Trump into the discussion. What did Trump have to do with my post? You are obsessed with talking about how obsessed others are with Trump.

What about the point that these Libs are bringing the same attitudes/politics with them to red states that have already screwed up their old blue states......and you think that's a positive development.

You always address tangential issues, usually bringing Trump into the discussion. What did Trump have to do with my post? You are obsessed with talking about how obsessed others are with Trump.

What about the point that these Libs are bringing the same attitudes/politics with them to red states that have already screwed up their old blue states......and you think that's a positive development.

Trump is an easy target to point out hypocrisy. Deal with it or don't vote for shitty people.

Trump is an easy target to point out hypocrisy. Deal with it or don't vote for shitty people.
Lmao things are worse now than under trump.

We aren't safer; life cost more; Covid rolls on; the border is a mess; trillions spent trillions to come; labor is a mess; champing at the bit to tax for soft shit that only manchin is saving us from - the but trump doesn't hold water. I'd take trump over biden at this point in a heartbeat

Last edited:
  • Haha

Population loss is what's needed. It's too crowded, especially when you have people living in unihabitable wildfire prone areas to escape the overcrowded metro areas. Right now, if you're a multi-millionare or billionare it's the best place to live, since you can afford to live in a paradise-like environment of your choosing.

I like the ones that gaslight, saying that we're failing Trump by not donating. Those seem the most appropriate ones given who they're representing.

We aren't safer; life cost more; Covid rolls on; the border is a mess; trillions spent trillions to come; labor is a mess; champing at the bit to tax for soft shit that only manchin is saving us from - the but trump doesn't hold water. I'd take trump over biden at this point in a heartbeat
Biden inherited a mess on most of these fronts. It's like the morons who blamed Obama for 2008 unemployment peaking in September, as if we were operating on his policies.

When you take office 14 days after the Gravy Seals stormed the Capitol, you aren't dealing with a united country smoothly sailing along.

Yep...still gotta come to this forum to get my periodic dose of reality on how much this country sucks...and just started to suck around November of 2020.
At least you aren't at Defcon 76-1 Level. At that level, the apocalypse has already begun, and we are hours away from the beginning of the Purge.

Depends on your perspective. Frankly, I wouldn't want that psycho nutball leading my country. No telling what he'd do.

Median listing price is up 36% over last year.

No refunds.

If only the alternative wasn't Trump, you could probably get some interest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT