ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Tech fined $25G after fans storm the court.

Tech is a top 10 team. Granted they haven't been good for a while, but storming the court is silly.

That said, the WVU player should have had to serve some sort of suspension.

I think we can all agree that court storming and punching fans are both dumb.

Court storming is beyond ridiculous. It has no place in sport. You don't see court/field stormings in the NBA or NFL, for good reason. Player protection. I get that its emotional but there really is nothing to gain by running 50 yards and jumping up and down. Just do it in your seats.

Tech is a top 10 team. Granted they haven't been good for a while, but storming the court is silly.

That said, the WVU player should have had to serve some sort of suspension.

I think we can all agree that court storming and punching fans are both dumb.

I do not agree that court storming is dumb in college sports in certain instances.

Court storming is beyond ridiculous. It has no place in sport. You don't see court/field stormings in the NBA or NFL, for good reason. Player protection. I get that its emotional but there really is nothing to gain by running 50 yards and jumping up and down. Just do it in your seats.
Actually in the 80's I remember seeing the Celtics fans storm the court after beating the Lakers for the championship.

Its a matter of being potentially dangerous. Too many people in too small of an area.

Walking up and down the stairs at an arena is also potentially dangerous. Sterilizing college sports down to the point where it is nothing more than semi-pro ball will kill the sport.

I think the court gets rushed too often because students are looking for that experience but having that miracle game once in a blue moon where the students get on the court and celebrate with their peers...man, that just screams college ball to me.

Actually in the 80's I remember seeing the Celtics fans storm the court after beating the Lakers for the championship.
I remember storming the court at the Indy Fairgrounds Coliseum when the IN Pacers beat the KY Colonels in a tournament game. I was actually on the court as the red, white and blue ball was still in the air during the final shot at the opposite end. Heck, back in the ABA days, I remember sneaking past security after a game and entering the Pacer's locker room. My buddy and I drank a long neck Blatz with Neto, Roger Brown, Freddie Lewis, et.al. as a tray of cold-cut sandwiches was being wheeled around the room. We were in high school at the time. Times are different now, but we didn't know it then.

I remember storming the court at the Indy Fairgrounds Coliseum when the IN Pacers beat the KY Colonels in a tournament game. I was actually on the court as the red, white and blue ball was still in the air during the final shot at the opposite end. Heck, back in the ABA days, I remember sneaking past security after a game and entering the Pacer's locker room. My buddy and I drank a long neck Blatz with Neto, Roger Brown, Freddie Lewis, et.al. as a tray of cold-cut sandwiches was being wheeled around the room. We were in high school at the time. Times are different now, but we didn't know it then.

I never got close to the court. My dad always got cheap tickets in the dark, dark corner at the opposite end of the lovely Marathon scoreboard girls (dumb move, dad). Did I mention it was dark in there.

The only time I ever rushed the court was in my sophomore year in High School when we won our first sectional in 30 years at the New Castle Fieldhouse.

Walking up and down the stairs at an arena is also potentially dangerous. Sterilizing college sports down to the point where it is nothing more than semi-pro ball will kill the sport.

I think the court gets rushed too often because students are looking for that experience but having that miracle game once in a blue moon where the students get on the court and celebrate with their peers...man, that just screams college ball to me.

Really? You compared a stampede as an equal to walking up and down stairs at an arena? Potential and HIGHER potential are much different. Hence the debate. It's not sterilizing college sports in any way. There is nothing gained by rushing the court. The players can just as easily go into the stands if celebrating with the fans is what they're truly wanting to do. The opposite has no place in the sport. I can't tell you how many great games I've watched where fans didn't run on the court......never did I sit there and think, "this isn't college sports!"

Really? You compared a stampede as an equal to walking up and down stairs at an arena? Potential and HIGHER potential are much different. Hence the debate. It's not sterilizing college sports in any way. There is nothing gained by rushing the court. The players can just as easily go into the stands if celebrating with the fans is what they're truly wanting to do. The opposite has no place in the sport. I can't tell you how many great games I've watched where fans didn't run on the court......never did I sit there and think, "this isn't college sports!"

For real, I don't think there is anything "Sterile" about Cameron Indoor or Allen Fieldhouse and they don't rush the court there too often.

It's for chump fans, of chump teams, at chump stadiums, and eventually there is going to be a really bad incident because of it.

C'mon, guys, tell me you didn't love it when Glass was on the scorer's table after the Wat Shot.

I have attended big games where the court was rushed and big games where it was not.
Part of the draw of college sports is the relative proximity of the athletes and the students. When in college you would cheer those guys on and then hand out vodka shots to Larry Richardson the evening after the game.

I guess just agree to disagree. I think for a program like an Indiana, Duke, or Kentucky that the court rush should only occur in the rarest of circumstances. The 2 I was ok with both came after wins over #1 programs after major program changes and both involved last second shots for the win. (Haston against MSU and Watford against UK.)

However, for a program that has not seen success on a regular basis, getting that big win that comes once in a lifetime...enh, I am cool with it. As an IU fan I took it as a compliment to our program when in years like 1988, Northwestern beat us and their fans rushed the court.

Now , I think that there is a decorum that should be followed. It is meant as a celebration, not as a slight to the other team. You should leave players of the other team the hell alone and let them off the court unmolested.

I am sure the NCAA will probably side with you and it will be one more story we can tell our grandkids about fun things we did that are now banned because someone out their always feels the need to protect us from life.

Reactions: UncleMark
I ran on the field exactly once and that was in 87. I was a soaking wet student and wanted to celebrate as well as give as much shit as possible to the MI staff and fans for crying about the crowd noise in our open ended small stadium,

Shembeckler sobbed during the game and in the presser after.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT