ADVERTISEMENT

Texas prevails

Texas is a good team and we played like total shit while Texas was on top of their game. That was a dumpster fire for us.
Texas has good length to go with good quickness . . . and that combination bothered us. UNC has good length and good power . . . their players are thick. Their power nearly offset Texas' quickness. I think IU will have problems with any team that has good length and skills . . . we have small point guards, other than when Al plays the point. How well IU plays against the UNCs and Texases later in the season will depend on how well Lander and Leal develop.

The Maui Invitational has been a good test for IU . . . we know where we are. We're a competent basketball team that has room to improve. How much we improve will be interesting to watch over the season.

Reactions: Imsowyctcwuzbetta
Texas has good length to go with good quickness . . . and that combination bothered us. UNC has good length and good power . . . their players are thick. Their power nearly offset Texas' quickness. I think IU will have problems with any team that has good length and skills . . . we have small point guards, other than when Al plays the point. How well IU plays against the UNCs and Texases later in the season will depend on how well Lander and Leal develop.

The Maui Invitational has been a good test for IU . . . we know where we are. We're a competent basketball team that has room to improve. How much we improve will be interesting to watch over the season.

I"ll begin by admitting I'm an avowed ABC'er (Anybody But Carolina) living in Charlotte and having to take all the baby blue shit that gets slung my way, but I thought the refs did their usual "helping hand" job with the Heels in that game. Despite as you say, being the more "powerful" team, who was behind most of the game, they outshot TX from the FT line 32-14 and were called for 14 fouls to TX's 25. Kept 'em in the game and damn near won it for them. Don't play the Heels in NC unless you're prepared to beat the refs too, even without fans!

I"ll begin by admitting I'm an avowed ABC'er (Anybody But Carolina) living in Charlotte and having to take all the baby blue shit that gets slung my way, but I thought the refs did their usual "helping hand" job with the Heels in that game. Despite as you say, being the more "powerful" team, who was behind most of the game, they outshot TX from the FT line 32-14 and were called for 14 fouls to TX's 25. Kept 'em in the game and damn near won it for them. Don't play the Heels in NC unless you're prepared to beat the refs too, even without fans!
This is off topic a bit. But since you live in NC (I have a first cousin who lives on the outskirts of Charlotte) have you been to Ashville? I have never been there but from the ESPN scenes they showed of the city I thought it looked pretty cool. If you have been there tell me the best things about it you have seen. Thx in advance.

This is off topic a bit. But since you live in NC (I have a first cousin who lives on the outskirts of Charlotte) have you been to Ashville? I have never been there but from the ESPN scenes they showed of the city I thought it looked pretty cool. If you have been there tell me the best things about it you have seen. Thx in advance.
AshEvillE... with 2 E's (did you not listen to Walton at all, or are you joking?) is a great town to visit. Pretty Bohemian with lots of hippie types running around downtown. It's sometimes called the Portland of the East. Bring your flannel shirt, beard and stocking cap and you'll fit right in. Obviously the outdoors is a big draw, with lots of hiking and waterfalls and both the Blue Ridge Parkway and Appalachian Trail nearby. The Biltmore is a must see at least once and can occupy most of a day. The downtown area is fun to stroll around, and I like walking around some of the art and craft shops, and the glass blowers they showed too. The Grove Park is a majestic and pricey old hotel that sits up on a mountain overlooking town and is high enough that it is a noticeably cooler, but that's more pronounced as you get up in the higher surrounding mountains. If you don't want to stay, you can always go up for dinner or a drink on their patios, which get crowded near sunset. Asheville kind of sits down in a bowl with the mountains surrounding it (like Denver), so it's not super high elevation, but it's close by. It's had a bit of a smog problem at times, but I haven't heard as much about that as in year's past. It's also become one of the big craft beer destinations on the East Coast and Sierra Nevada and another big brewer have nice breweries there along with many smaller craft breweries. West Asheville is funkier and more artsy. 12 Bones BBQ is awesome, imo. There is tubing and rafting on the French Broad River as well. Great getaway and some cool towns to see in the area too, like Waynesville, Hot Springs and Marshall, Lake Lure, Hendersonville, Brevard, Blowing Rock, Boone not terribly far. Happy to make suggestions for anyone wanting to visit. Know the area pretty well.

PS, since you're a pastor, that's also Billy Graham country. There are several Christian and faith-based retreats in the area. Billy Graham has a facility called The Cove nearby, and you might be able to tie in some CE or some type of training or education. Kanuga is an Episcopal retreat nearby. There are several others up there, but it might allow you to make part of a visit work-related too.

Last edited:
AshEvillE... with 2 E's (did you not listen to Walton at all, or are you joking?) is a great town to visit. Pretty Bohemian with lots of hippie types running around downtown. It's sometimes called the Portland of the East. Bring your flannel shirt, beard and stocking cap and you'll fit right in. Obviously the outdoors is a big draw, with lots of hiking and waterfalls and both the Blue Ridge Parkway and Appalachian Trail nearby. The Biltmore is a must see at least once and can occupy most of a day. The downtown area is fun to stroll around, and I like walking around some of the art and craft shops, and the glass blowers they showed too. The Grove Park is a majestic and pricey old hotel that sits up on a mountain overlooking town and is high enough that it is a noticeably cooler, but that's more pronounced as you get up in the higher surrounding mountains. If you don't want to stay, you can always go up for dinner or a drink on their patios. It's also become one of the big craft beer destinations on the East Coast and Sierra Nevada and another big brewer have nice breweries there along with many smaller craft breweries. West Asheville is funkier and more artsy. 12 Bones BBQ is awesome, imo. There is tubing and rafting on the French Broad River as well. Great getaway and some cool towns to see in the area too, like Waynesville, Hot Springs and Marshall, Lake Lure, Hendersonville, Boone not terribly far. Happy to make suggestions for anyone wanting to visit. Know the area pretty well.
That drive from Knoxville to Asheville (with 2 Es...thanks Bill)....is very scenic- but damn, you better have a good grip on the wheel. And if you suffer from acrophobia, do not stare out of the right side of the car.

Reactions: BigMobe and kkott
That drive from Knoxville to Asheville (with 2 Es...thanks Bill)....is very scenic- but damn, you better have a good grip on the wheel. And if you suffer from acrophobia, do not stare out of the right side of the car.
Came down to see a friend from high school over Spring Break one year with my "rich" friend from Indy, who had a 1981 Trans Am (this was probably 82 or 83). On the way back home we got stopped for road construction for about an hour and we were like the 3rd car back in line. I was driving and once they reopened the road, as soon as I passed the couple of cars ahead of me, I knew I had open road in front of me. My friend said he didn't care how fast I drove, but I was responsible for tickets and wrecks. I did my best Bandit impression for the next 30 miles or so! It is a fun stretch of road!

AshEvillE... with 2 E's (did you not listen to Walton at all, or are you joking?) is a great town to visit. Pretty Bohemian with lots of hippie types running around downtown. It's sometimes called the Portland of the East. Bring your flannel shirt, beard and stocking cap and you'll fit right in. Obviously the outdoors is a big draw, with lots of hiking and waterfalls and both the Blue Ridge Parkway and Appalachian Trail nearby. The Biltmore is a must see at least once and can occupy most of a day. The downtown area is fun to stroll around, and I like walking around some of the art and craft shops, and the glass blowers they showed too. The Grove Park is a majestic and pricey old hotel that sits up on a mountain overlooking town and is high enough that it is a noticeably cooler, but that's more pronounced as you get up in the higher surrounding mountains. If you don't want to stay, you can always go up for dinner or a drink on their patios. Asheville kind of sits down in a plateau with the mountains surrounding it, so it's not super high elevation, but it's close by. It's had a bit of a smog problem at times, but I haven't heard as much about that as in year's past. It's also become one of the big craft beer destinations on the East Coast and Sierra Nevada and another big brewer have nice breweries there along with many smaller craft breweries. West Asheville is funkier and more artsy. 12 Bones BBQ is awesome, imo. There is tubing and rafting on the French Broad River as well. Great getaway and some cool towns to see in the area too, like Waynesville, Hot Springs and Marshall, Lake Lure, Hendersonville, Boone not terribly far. Happy to make suggestions for anyone wanting to visit. Know the area pretty well.
Black Mtn. It's on the Kilwin's circuit.

Reactions: kkott
AshEvillE... with 2 E's (did you not listen to Walton at all, or are you joking?) is a great town to visit. Pretty Bohemian with lots of hippie types running around downtown. It's sometimes called the Portland of the East. Bring your flannel shirt, beard and stocking cap and you'll fit right in. Obviously the outdoors is a big draw, with lots of hiking and waterfalls and both the Blue Ridge Parkway and Appalachian Trail nearby. The Biltmore is a must see at least once and can occupy most of a day. The downtown area is fun to stroll around, and I like walking around some of the art and craft shops, and the glass blowers they showed too. The Grove Park is a majestic and pricey old hotel that sits up on a mountain overlooking town and is high enough that it is a noticeably cooler, but that's more pronounced as you get up in the higher surrounding mountains. If you don't want to stay, you can always go up for dinner or a drink on their patios. Asheville kind of sits down in a plateau with the mountains surrounding it, so it's not super high elevation, but it's close by. It's had a bit of a smog problem at times, but I haven't heard as much about that as in year's past. It's also become one of the big craft beer destinations on the East Coast and Sierra Nevada and another big brewer have nice breweries there along with many smaller craft breweries. West Asheville is funkier and more artsy. 12 Bones BBQ is awesome, imo. There is tubing and rafting on the French Broad River as well. Great getaway and some cool towns to see in the area too, like Waynesville, Hot Springs and Marshall, Lake Lure, Hendersonville, Boone not terribly far. Happy to make suggestions for anyone wanting to visit. Know the area pretty well.

PS, since you're a pastor, that's also Billy Graham country. There are several Christian and faith-based retreats in the area. Billy Graham has a facility called The Cove nearby, and you might be able to tie in some CE or some type of training or education. Kanuga is an Episcopal retreat nearby. There are several others up there, but it might allow you to make part of a visit work-related too.
I did listen to Walton during the first game. But yesterday I was listening to Dan Dakich at the same time the game was on so I muted Walton and Benetti. Thank you very much for the information. BBQ would be my thing since I am baptist. We are not drinkers. It's just who we are. I've never been to North Carolina but have watched several conferences from the Cove. I guess I didn't think of Asheville as being near that place. Again thanks for the info. I would like to go there sometime, along with the Andy Griffith Museum in Mt. Airy.

Reactions: kkott
I did listen to Walton during the first game. But yesterday I was listening to Dan Dakich at the same time the game was on so I muted Walton and Benetti. Thank you very much for the information. BBQ would be my thing since I am baptist. We are not drinkers. It's just who we are. I've never been to North Carolina but have watched several conferences from the Cove. I guess I didn't think of Asheville as being near that place. Again thanks for the info. I would like to go there sometime, along with the Andy Griffith Museum in Mt. Airy.
Guessed the breweries might not be your thing, but also posting for others. The Sierra Nevada brewery is gorgeous and generally has lots of events and tours, if the brewing part doesn't bother you. It's pretty ornate and along the river. Also, one of my favorite music venues up there, if we ever get back to live music: The Orange Peel. Cool old venue. Hosted a who's-who of musicians over the years and always has good artists.

Guessed the breweries might not be your thing, but also posting for others. The Sierra Nevada brewery is gorgeous and generally has lots of events and tours, if the brewing part doesn't bother you. It's pretty ornate and along the river. Also, one of my favorite music venues up there, if we ever get back to live music: The Orange Peel. Cool old venue. Hosted a who's-who of musicians over the years and always has good artists.
I would get into a tour. Years ago I went to Busch Gardens in Florida and took the tour. It is always interesting to see how people figured out how to do things.

Done that drive with in and out fog. Shudder.

I wonder what it is like to hit one of those runaway truck lanes in an 18 wheeler at 60 mph.

I would get into a tour. Years ago I went to Busch Gardens in Florida and took the tour. It is always interesting to see how people figured out how to do things.
Plus I'm pretty sure they have non-alcoholic beers, and many brew root beer too. I love root beer and often give that a try too.

Are there any waterfalls to see?

Are there any waterfalls to see?
Waterfalls? Huh, never heard of any, but that's not to say there aren't. Sliding Rock is nearby and pretty fun on a hot summer day. As the name implies, you sit on your keester and slide down moss-covered rocks into a pool at the bottom. Surprised it's still going. Linville Gorge is cool to see too... and it's a good way to pass a day driving up the Blue Ridge Parkway, stopping where your heart, or bladder, tells you too.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Plus I'm pretty sure they have non-alcoholic beers, and many brew root beer too. I love root beer and often give that a try too.
Your post made me smile. I remember going to the old Riverfront Stadium with my Dad,Uncle and cousin. The guy would start yelling Near Beer real loud. We didn't know what that was so our dads had to tell us. Also we went to Cedar Point for vacation one year and they had a pizza buffet called East of Chicago. You got your own sodas so when my youngest son went to the bathroom his big brother replaced his Dr. Pepper with Root Beer. My youngest son HATES root beer so when he got back and took a drink the look on his face made us all laugh. We still bring that up once and a while. Thx for the trip down memory lane.

Waterfalls? Huh, never heard of any, but that's not to say there aren't. Sliding Rock is nearby and pretty fun on a hot summer day. As the name implies, you sit on your keester and slide down moss-covered rocks into a pool at the bottom. Surprised it's still going. Linville Gorge is cool to see too... and it's a good way to pass a day driving up the Blue Ridge Parkway, stopping where your heart, or bladder, tells you too.
I think he might have been spoofing on Bill Walton, who mentioned local waterfalls at least a dozen times this week.

Done that drive with in and out fog. Shudder.

I wonder what it is like to hit one of those runaway truck lanes in an 18 wheeler at 60 mph.
I did it a few ago driving the family down to M.Beach over spring break....fog, drizzle, and wife/kids in the vehicle. And spring break traffic. Still remember every minute.

Son " Dad, what are those nets for? The nets up next to the mountain's face? Are those so rocks don't break off, roll down and kill us?"

Dad.."..uh....yep.".

Wife " why did you answer like that??"

Dad."....uh...it's true."

ADVERTISEMENT