ADVERTISEMENT

Texas pressurized the election

They're just terrified of Trump's pull with his base. It's obvious Trump can turn them against you with one tweet.

Courage is in very short supply for politicians in general but the yellow on the republican senators stomachs is brighter than the sun.

My guess is they are secretly hoping the courts will snap Trump's neck.

Then they can say they were loyal to the end.

It's weak and pathetic but it's also political survival so I get it.

That being said, I'm really digging Sasse turning into the f Trump republican. He's playing an angle that most pub senators are scared to play so I'm curious if it will work. It's raised his profile for sure.
I think you are being too kind. I think the Republican party wants a one-party state, and they don't give a shit how they get there.

Reactions: IU73 and Morrison
I think you are being too kind. I think the Republican party wants a one-party state, and they don't give a shit how they get there.

I agree with you, but short term I think they are more terrified of Trump and his influence with the base.

I think they love that Trump will be moved but can still use him as a martyr, while being politically frightened about his power within the base.

Put yourself in the shoes of a republican congressman. At any moment the party leader can destroy your career, and he has. You secretly want him gone but you also need his base.

Best solution....someone else takes him out. You declare loyalty and keep the base on your side.

Unfortunately, Trump isn't going away into the sunset.

I think the Republicans have a much bigger issue than they think right now but, it seems like they are hoping that Trump just goes away.

It kind of reminds me of our basketball program when Knight just violated the zero tolerance (which was again a cowardly move to appease everyone).

Knight didn't go away. He went to Tech and we had, or still have, a schizm in the fan base because of Knight, his essence and his popularity.

If you wanted to coach at IU, you dare not criticize Knight after he was fired. You better be screaming at Brand and showing your loyalty.

Anyway, this Trump stranglehold on the party with his popularity reminds me of Coach Knight.

EDIT: I'm not saying Trump and Knight are the same guy. Knight was actually a basketball savant and had one of the best basketball minds in history. I'm comparing their populous with a base and the long term damage that came out of his removal.

This lawsuit tells us Trump Republicans claim to love federalism but do not really care. Otherwise why would they support a federal lawsuit to overturn state cases that the courts in that state have accepted? They just like federalism when it is convenient.

They also do not believe in taking the Constitution exactly as written. If they did they would accept every state has a right to determine their own laws as to time, place, manner of voting. They just like the idea of the plain spoken words when it is convenient to them.

Reactions: UncleMark
This lawsuit tells us Trump Republicans claim to love federalism but do not really care. Otherwise why would they support a federal lawsuit to overturn state cases that the courts in that state have accepted? They just like federalism when it is convenient.

They also do not believe in taking the Constitution exactly as written. If they did they would accept every state has a right to determine their own laws as to time, place, manner of voting. They just like the idea of the plain spoken words when it is convenient to them.
It's all transactional, baby.

It's all transactional, baby.
For all my life conservatives have claimed to be more principled that everyone else. We now see Al Davis captured that principle for the Raiders, "Just win baby".*

I do want to commend Chip Roy, Republican US Rep from Texas who called the lawsuit, "a dangerous violation of federalism and sets a precedent to have one state asking federal courts to police the voting procedures of other states".

*Obviously not all conservatives, but a significant number have thrown out principles for tin foil hats and a dear of black helicopters.

David Frum has this posted at the top of his Twitter feed. It’s how I always felt this would end. The GOP would take Trumps shit for 4 years because they had to, but when he was wounded, they would walk away and act like they didn’t know the guy.

But that isn’t what’s happening. Instead, when he has actually lost, they line up to participate in a coup to keep an autocrat in power. I guess the GOP was much sicker than I thought. I just assumed there were persons of principle and patriotism who would step forward to move our country past these ugly times. I was wrong.

Reactions: Morrison

Trump is a horrid cancer that's destroyed everything in close contact. A vile, wretched piece of dung. And the stench will linger for years.

I agree with you, but short term I think they are more terrified of Trump and his influence with the base.

I think they love that Trump will be moved but can still use him as a martyr, while being politically frightened about his power within the base.

Put yourself in the shoes of a republican congressman. At any moment the party leader can destroy your career, and he has. You secretly want him gone but you also need his base.

Best solution....someone else takes him out. You declare loyalty and keep the base on your side.

Unfortunately, Trump isn't going away into the sunset.

I think the Republicans have a much bigger issue than they think right now but, it seems like they are hoping that Trump just goes away.

The practical application of exactly what you've pointed out...

"President Donald Trump's efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 election have reached a fever pitch among the state lawmakers he's been pressuring, according to the Pennsylvania Senate's Republican majority leader.

State Sen. Kim Ward, whose district includes much of Westmoreland County just to the east of Pittsburgh, told The New York Times that Trump called her recently.

Beyond Trump pushing her to help put the Keystone State's 20 electoral votes into his column more than a month after Election Day, Ward said the president's efforts could be putting her in danger.

Ward's leadership position is key to Trump's efforts to overturn the results of the election. She could call on the state's delegation to make its own picks for the Electoral College so the president could carry the state, which would effectively nullify the will of the people.

The legal precedent for such a maneuver is not on Trump's side, and most GOP state house leaders in key battleground states have not acquiesced to his demands. Furthermore, time has effectively run out for the Trump campaign since the "safe harbor" deadline for states to certify their election results was on Tuesday.

But Ward pointed to the overall mood among Trump's base as a more pressing issue.

She told The Times that were she to come out and say she would not sign a letter drafted by Republicans in the lower chamber - which calls for Pennsylvania's congressional delegation to reject the state's electoral votes for President-elect Joe Biden - she would face the wrath of Trump's most fervent supporters.

"If I would say to you, 'I don't want to do it,' I'd get my house bombed tonight," Ward said."

David Frum has this posted at the top of his Twitter feed. It’s how I always felt this would end. The GOP would take Trumps shit for 4 years because they had to, but when he was wounded, they would walk away and act like they didn’t know the guy.

But that isn’t what’s happening. Instead, when he has actually lost, they line up to participate in a coup to keep an autocrat in power. I guess the GOP was much sicker than I thought. I just assumed there were persons of principle and patriotism who would step forward to move our country past these ugly times. I was wrong.

The ones willing to try are people who the base has already rejected. Like Denver Riggleman, who was primaried for the unbelievable "sin" of officiating at a same-sex marriage. Oh, the horror...

That leaves him free to speak his mind, and he has put forth a striking analogy that captures the Cult of Trump masterfully...

"It was only recently that U.S. Rep. Denver Riggleman, R-Va., had his epiphany: The supporters of President Trump were starting to resemble the people who he used to hang out with more than 15 years ago when — mostly as a lark — he would go on expeditions to the Pacific Northwest looking for Bigfoot.

“It was almost a cult or a religious belief system,” Riggleman said about his Bigfoot hunting days in an interview for the Yahoo News podcast “Skullduggery.

Riggleman, then a National Security Agency contractor, never saw any sign of the mythical hairy behemoth believed by some to be hiding deep in the far-flung forests of North America. But his fellow Bigfoot explorers saw signs of the creature everywhere, especially at night."

Michigan, Georgia, and Wisconsin are now posted, too. Even the Christian Family Coalition filed an amicus brief! That one should be a doozy.

All the documents can be accessed here:

I was gratified to see that other non-involved states are coming to the aid of PA and the others. Mostly Blue states, but even Ohio said they saw no basis for this ridiculous claim...

The ones willing to try are people who the base has already rejected. Like Denver Riggleman, who was primaried for the unbelievable "sin" of officiating at a same-sex marriage. Oh, the horror...

That leaves him free to speak his mind, and he has put forth a striking analogy that captures the Cult of Trump masterfully...

"It was only recently that U.S. Rep. Denver Riggleman, R-Va., had his epiphany: The supporters of President Trump were starting to resemble the people who he used to hang out with more than 15 years ago when — mostly as a lark — he would go on expeditions to the Pacific Northwest looking for Bigfoot.

“It was almost a cult or a religious belief system,” Riggleman said about his Bigfoot hunting days in an interview for the Yahoo News podcast “Skullduggery.

Riggleman, then a National Security Agency contractor, never saw any sign of the mythical hairy behemoth believed by some to be hiding deep in the far-flung forests of North America. But his fellow Bigfoot explorers saw signs of the creature everywhere, especially at night."

Lockheed Martin's stock has been flat all year. I guess Sikorsky does not make the black helicopters that are flying everywhere this year. Maybe some of our friends being followed by black helicopters can tell us who makes them so we can buy stock.

Reactions: cosmickid
More House Republicans making sure they don’t miss the sedition train. I’m glad we have a list of these folks. They should have their lapel flag pins taken immediately.

A group claiming to be "New California" and "New Nevada" (states that don't exist) are now filing briefs in support of Texas. Seriously.
The clown who filed that piece of crap should be sanctioned by the Court, if not disbarred. Hell, the idiot even asked the Court to award costs to the Amici.

Oh, and his brief along with some others, will be summarily bounced by the Clerk before the Justices ever see them due to a failure to comply with the Court's persnickety formatting requirements.

This whole thing has become a clown show.

LOL. Rejected again. I swear I was convinced the SCOTUS just had to hear this case. It's almost like there's a couple jackleg lawyers on this board.
Obviously the 6 conservatives on the court were clueless, or paid off.

The article said that Alito and Thomas would hear the case but offer no relief. So 7 did not even find the case worth hearing. That is a sign of a case that is a real nail biter that could go either way.

Reactions: UncleMark
Obviously the 6 conservatives on the court were clueless, or paid off.

The article said that Alito and Thomas would hear the case but offer no relief. So 7 did not even find the case worth hearing. That is a sign of a case that is a real nail biter that could go either way.

I'm sure Soros bought them off.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Including all three of his appointments. LOL. Next thing you know he'll try and fire them and replace them with "acting" Justices.

Reactions: Morrison
LOL. Rejected again. I swear I was convinced the SCOTUS just had to hear this case. It's almost like there's a couple jackleg lawyers on this board.

The "Jack leg" lawyers which I think you are referring to make this place way more interesting than it would be without them.

They make their arguments without labelling and name calling against those with whom they exchange points of view.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
The "Jack leg" lawyers which I think you are referring to make this place way more interesting than it would be without them.

They make their arguments without labelling and name calling against those with whom they exchange points of view.

I disagree. This place is a cesspool of stupidity. I'm just enjoying laughing at all the people that thought this was going to go somewhere.

Reactions: outside shooter
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT