ADVERTISEMENT

Texas hiring Hagen

My sense was he likely wanted consideration for the DC role at IU but Allen went with Wommack after his one year as LB coach. Hagen clearly saw that writing on the wall and though he's been a good soldier, have to say I am not surprised by this as Hagen didn't seem "fully" enthused since the Womack move was made.

Hoping they can go out and get a good recruiter and quality DL coach, which I'm thinking we can, just don't know about the timing, although I guess anyone can move if paying them a little more or they want to get to a B10 school or get back home to INDIANA.

My sense was he likely wanted consideration for the DC role at IU but Allen went with Wommack after his one year as LB coach. Hagen clearly saw that writing on the wall and though he's been a good soldier, have to say I am not surprised by this as Hagen didn't seem "fully" enthused since the Womack move was made.

Hoping they can go out and get a good recruiter and quality DL coach, which I'm thinking we can, just don't know about the timing, although I guess anyone can move if paying them a little more or they want to get to a B10 school or get back home to INDIANA.
I can see that. Oh well. I was hoping the former Hoosier could have swallowed his pride a bit for the home team.

On the other hand, UT is definitely hiring a plethora of "name" coaches.

Reactions: vesuvius13

This was not about football, it is about his family being in Texas and causing undo strain on his family life. Some things are more important than football. Best of luck at UT Coach Hagen.

This was not about football, it is about his family being in Texas and causing undo strain on his family life. Some things are more important than football. Best of luck at UT Coach Hagen.

With Allen's family approach...I could see him telling Hagan he'd be fired if he DIDN'T take the gig.

Hate to lose long term guys, but felt bad for the guy given the family situation.

This works out well for him and the family.

I understand the family move and probably more money too. What I don't understand is why is his family still in Texas. Coaching all this time in Indiana and the family didn't make the move?

This is what most around Texas believe.

Where is the idea that he is a solid recruiter coming from?

Haven't seen any proof of that

Well, he was one of the finest Purdue recruiters in recent years
and I doubt very seriously he has lost that capability working for his alma mater. From what I glean from comments made on this board and TOS mark continues to do a very good job recruiting for IU. One thing is for certain, he is never out of work and has been with two Blue blood programs

I understand the family move and probably more money too. What I don't understand is why is his family still in Texas. Coaching all this time in Indiana and the family didn't make the move?

They moved up here, the whole family. He has 4 daughters, and it sounds like many of them didn't take to the move here. Classmates, cliques, etc. We looked at their house unknowingly when moving up here summer of 2017. Found out the seller and had to check he hadn't left the staff.

The wife and kids moved back to College Station, they sold the house.

I'm assuming he was flying solo up here, and would make runs down there whenever he could.

I'm sure this offer was a godsend for him.

Five against one is a tough majority.

I didn’t know entire family was there. (Still married or divorced and wife/kids maybe wNt home to Texas?). Regardless, not bashing him and wish him well. It was my own observations that seemed like he did fee overlooked for the DC role.

I like to focus on forward now and hope we can get a good new coach to add to the staff!

Seems like a no-brainer for him. That said, I though his interior line was pretty good. The edge rushers were non-existent and in the past couple years he couldn’t quite close the deal with some DLs that had us on their list, the Craig kid going to Iowa being a recent example.

He disappoints me, I expected him to stay here. This program is on the rise, just had a nice season with a potentially great season upcoming. Disappointing...

Reactions: red hornet
He disappoints me, I expected him to stay here. This program is on the rise, just had a nice season with a potentially great season upcoming. Disappointing...

His life, free will!

Next man up, next coach up! Opportunity to bring in some fresh eyes, new energy and ideas. Circle of life in coaching.

I want that Segrest guy. He coached the Kick Return team at Arkansas and they were rated #5 in the country. Someone needs to figure out how to recover an onside kick here.

Reactions: mk23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT