ADVERTISEMENT

Texas and Oklahoma to SEC?

I really don't get all these good teams wanting to get into a super conference.

They just decreased their odds of having a good or great season by playing in a tougher conference. Who is Texas ever going to beat - they got drilled by Maryland last year. Maryland! Oklahoma always looks good until they run into a really good team in the playoffs.

You'd think they'd look at Nebraska and Penn State. How has being in the Big Ten enhanced their programs? Penn State is competitive, but they're not Ohio State.

I mean, good teams need lesser teams to beat to get their record up. Let's see how Oklahoma feels when they lose 3 games a year.

I guess I see the super conference philosophy if the goal is to get rid of the NCAA. But why? 4 Super Conferences will never be able to agree among themselves any more than they do the NCAA.

This is just a money grab, and I'm not knocking the $50 million+ we get every year. But how much is enough?
PSU is probably the most successful of teams that joined or switched conferences. 1994 team shouldve won NC but Nebraska pre Big 10 did. I cant think of any other teams...........ND was a faux ACC in football last yr but can't count that. MSU MU and OSU pretty much threw any moral high ground from the conference about them.

Reactions: DANC
*My* plan, back in the olden days, was for the Big Ten and PAC-10 to sit out the Bowl Alliance and continue to play one another in the Rose Bowl. But everyone was going to die if there wasn’t an undisputed national champion (I know this because I heard it on ESPN) and so the push to sweep the old order aside got duly underway. I wonder if the centripetal force unleashed with that innovation wasn’t the first step, really, though it post dates the acquisition (as I now see the phenomenon being termed by fans and sports writers, which in itself is telling) of PSU by the Big Ten.

Anyways, we’re all fans and no matter how shabby and awful big time college football ends up, we’ll keep watching and listening and buying. I’m sure I will.
Yup and we will bitch on messages boards about it all the while!:)

Reactions: Radio Zero
*My* plan, back in the olden days, was for the Big Ten and PAC-10 to sit out the Bowl Alliance and continue to play one another in the Rose Bowl. But everyone was going to die if there wasn’t an undisputed national champion (I know this because I heard it on ESPN) and so the push to sweep the old order aside got duly underway. I wonder if the centripetal force unleashed with that innovation wasn’t the first step, really, though it post dates the acquisition (as I now see the phenomenon being termed by fans and sports writers, which in itself is telling) of PSU by the Big Ten.

Anyways, we’re all fans and no matter how shabby and awful big time college football ends up, we’ll keep watching and listening and buying. I’m sure I will.
My thinking in “reading” fandom is that some percent of fans are becoming fed up with pro athletes.
I think this may drive them more towards college.
I also think many (most?) of we fans have a negative opinion of the ncaa. Not really from their recent courtroom nil loss, but more their acceptance of the dishonesty of protected programs.

I was with you. I never understood the big deal over determining a 'true' national champion. For example, I was ok with arguing over Michigan/Nebraska in 1997.

But most people had to have a champion decided on the field. I was ok with that, but it was a huge blunder by Delany to give up the Rose Bowl over it. Nothing wrong with playing the bowl games as usual, then voting for the top two to play. We'd have been ok if we'd stopped there.

Going to 4 teams was the turning point. After that we were in NFL mode. Play-offs always expand, because TV demands it. Hard to argue when players are playing 14 games a year that they are not employees......so next is image & likeness. Now, how can one argue against pay?

The university presidents as a whole, with $$ in their heads, are most to blame. Delany, the legal shark, just knew how to push their buttons.

I think the other big turning point was Delany stealing Maryland from the noses of the ACC presidents & administrators. Once that happened, all trust between and within conferences was lost, and each school cares only for their particular situation.

My thinking in “reading” fandom is that some percent of fans are becoming fed up with pro athletes.
I think this may drive them more towards college.
I also think many (most?) of we fans have a negative opinion of the ncaa. Not really from their recent courtroom nil loss, but more their acceptance of the dishonesty of protected programs.
I don’t think anyone has shed a tear for the situation into which the NCAA - the *organization* - has been put. I was “agnostic” on the Supreme Court’s decision (especially from a legal perspective, as I know enough to know that I hardly know anything about the subtleties of law) while at the same time pleased as a pig in a poke to see the apparatus in Indianapolis slapped into place like the obdurate whore which it is. And I’ll continue to find pleasure in that spectacle as I consider it in retrospect even as the current landslide threatens to bury what remains of a sport (/sports) that has brought me a great deal of enjoyment for a third of a century.

The NCAA deserves its fate *if only* for what it allowed UNC to get away with a few years back.

IU would represent the SEC willingly taking on another anchor program.

And not in the positive sense.
I don't want IU going to the SEC, BUT in the case of OSU and Michigan leaving for the SEC, I think I would want IU to follow suit. That's just my opinion...

Indiana has more history with the SEC due to their rivalry with UK. Indiana also has a rising football program with what appears to be a strong coach. I could make one hell of an argument for IU, particularly since their football program is on the rise.

It's not going to happen. What will happen is the Big Ten expands West and grabs Oregon, USC, Colorado and Stanford.

I don't want IU going to the SEC, BUT in the case of OSU and Michigan leaving for the SEC, I think I would want IU to follow suit. That's just my opinion...

Indiana has more history with the SEC due to their rivalry with UK. Indiana also has a rising football program with what appears to be a strong coach. I could make one hell of an argument for IU, particularly since their football program is on the rise.

It's not going to happen. What will happen is the Big Ten expands West and grabs Oregon, USC, Colorado and Stanford.
Oh, I completely agree about not wanting IU in the SEC. And I think the OSU and UM speculation is just internet silliness, but reckoned it might generate some interesting discussion here on the forum.

I genuinely feel bad for the schools in the Big XII (excepting maybe KU, which I bet has a good shot at landing somewhere stable) left in the lurch by UT and OU. A Kansas State board I’ve been keeping up with is pretty somber reading.

Oh, I completely agree about not wanting IU in the SEC. And I think the OSU and UM speculation is just internet silliness, but reckoned it might generate some interesting discussion here on the forum.

I genuinely feel bad for the schools in the Big XII (excepting maybe KU, which I bet has a good shot at landing somewhere stable) left in the lurch by UT and OU. A Kansas State board I’ve been keeping up with is pretty somber reading.
I just roll my eyes at the doofus SEC people guarantee that Michigan and OSU being picked off. They don’t understand what standards mean. They look at this as football money only. Look at WVU. No academic value or market. Sitting in ACC country.

Note Dame is already an associate member of the Big Ten so it shouldn't be hard for them to go all in.

I think it would be cool to lure the University of Chicago back to the Big Ten. Fund a new 50,000 football stadium for them. Can you imagine?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT