ADVERTISEMENT

Texas and Oklahoma to SEC?

Why do you refer to him as "our idiot commish"? What qualifications have you acquired in your professional background that would allow you to be credible?

I'm just spitballing here but maybe, just maybe, mk23 has enough background to have been able to plow through Warrens "baffle em with bullshit" Media Day press conference transcript... I read the whole thing and reached the same conclusion and I feel comfortable with that assessment even though I've never been in charge of a major athletic conference...

Texas A&M wants to stand alone as a Texas school in their conference. Missouri has fallen apart in the SEC. Texas & Oklahoma go to the SEC; B1G makes a power move & pulls A&M & Mizzou. B1G network makes more money than SEC. A&M ends up as the lone Texas school in the B1G. Want to make it an even 20? West Virginia & UConn.

P5 Conference revenue for FY20:

Big Ten: $768.9 million
SEC: $728.9 million
Pac-12: $533.8 million
ACC: $496.7 million
Big 12: $409.2 million

and per school payouts as well....

Big Ten: $54.3 million
SEC: $45.5 million
Big 12: $37 to $40.5 million*
Pac-12: $33.6 million
ACC: $30.9 to $37 million

Show me the money 💰! Everyone needs to settle down. Barry will figure it out.

Why do you refer to him as "our idiot commish"? What qualifications have you acquired in your professional background that would allow you to be credible?
Read the transcript from his speech at the media day. It was a combination of seemingly stream of consciousness, comments that made it sound like Barry Alvarez was the real commissioner (Alvarez an advisor or a decision maker regarding football?)and he didn't give a clear answer to a single question.

In response to to the Texas/OU potential move he said they need to think about this (apparently completely blind sided). What the hell has the guy been doing for the last year? Extremely unimpressed with his mastery of the subject matter of his job, his ability as a leader and any strategic thinking. Based on last year's decision making and this speech, he has a long way to go to be the visionary leader the BIG needs for the future.

Lastly, his extended discussion on POC hires made it sound like that was his number one job. I think that is important, but not the seemingly singular focus for a commissioner of the premier collegiate conference.

I hope he reflects back on the media performance and learns and improves and develops. I think he is potentially capable, but right now he doesn't appear to be the guy who will be the aggressive forward thinker the conference will need in the days ahead.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and mk23
How about this - do nothing. There are too many schools in the B1G now. Why do people want a conference with teams on the other side of the world?

people don't get what this is, and has been, really about.

the corptocracy doesn't care squat what's best for college sports.

and contrary to the false propaganda spewed since this all started, this isn't and never has been about "expansion".

it's always been about "consolidation".

the plan of Delany/B10, the PAC, and The SEC, was always the elimination of the B12 and ACC as competitive entities for broadcast/streaming rights.

the hope was that this could be accomplished when the B10 took Neb, UMd, and RU, hoping UMd would be the first ACC domino to fall and bring hopefully UNC and UVa with them, and taking RU to keep RU from going to the ACC to help shore them up.

the SEC took Mizzou and TAM, and the hope was that the PAC would get UT and OU.

UNC and UVa didn't bolt, and the ACC tried to shore up it's defense of a hostile takeover by adding Cuse, UL, and Pitt, which the ACC never really wanted, and don't do much for the ACC other than shore up their numbers.

the B12 managed to hold on as well, perhaps due to UT and OU holding out for the SEC rather than the PAC, and to a lessor degree perhaps the Longhorn Network thing.

so while the consolidation thing failed short term, it did effectively take out the Big East as a semi major football conference through collateral damage.

as to who, if anyone, should the B10 take, if the B12 falls absent the B10 taking any B12 teams, what's in it for the B10 to take any remaining B12 team, as none of them are a financial plus for the B10 if the B12 falls from being a major fball conference anyway.

the B10 might think it better to wait and make another play for 2 of UNC, UVa, FSU, and ND, down the rd, and partner with the SEC in another run at taking out the ACC.

as to how does any of this make college sports better?? it doesn't.

it makes it much worse.

but this isn't being done in the name of college sports.

this is M&A for consolidation of wealth and power 101, and no one at any school or conference has the authority to over ride the capitalism algorithm runaway train, once it gets set in motion.

as for the non OU/UT B12 schools, Ayn Rand says too bad for you.

as for how the non OU/UT schools can try to fight it, i'd start counting my US senators and threatening looking at the FTC's and FCC's total and complete lack of media/big telecom collusive anti competitive oversight, and specifically ala carte access and media consolidation, as therein lies what's the driving force behind all this..

as for how the SEC/B10/PAC would counter that strategy, they'll count US senators too, and determine how many, and what schools, they don't really want but will take anyway, to counter the counter.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13 and mk23

the corptocracy doesn't care squat what best for college sports.

and contrary to the false propagada spewed since this all started, this isn't and never has been about "expansion", it's always been about "consolidation".

the plan of Delany/B10, the PAC, and The SEC, was always the elimination of the B12 and ACC as competitive entities for broadcast/streaming rights.

the hope was that this could be accomplished when the B10 took Neb, UMd, and RU, hoping UMd would be the first ACC domino to fall and bring hopefully UNC and UVa with them, and taking RU to keep RU from going to the ACC to help shore them up.

UNC and UVa didn't bolt, and the ACC tried to shore up it's defense of a hostile takeover by adding Cuse, UL, and Pitt, which the ACC never really wanted, and don't do much for the ACC other than shore up their numbers.

the B12 managed to hold on as well, perhaps due to UT and OU holding out for the SEC rather than the PAC, and to a lessor degree perhaps the Longhorn Network thing.

so while the consolidation thing failed short term, it did effectively take out the Big East as a semi major football conference through collateral damage.

as to KSU, ISU, OSU, Baylor, TCU, WVa, KU, if the B12 loses UT and OU, in addition to the Mizzou and Neb losses, and major football conf status with it, it isn't personal, it's just business.

as to who should the B10 take, if the B12 falls absent the B10 taking any B12 teams, what's in it for the B10 to take any remaining B12 team, as none of them are a financial plus for the B10 if the B12 falls from being a major fball conference anyway.

the B10 might think it better to wait and make another play for 2 of UNC, UVa, FSU, and ND, down the rd, and partner with the SEC in another run at taking out the ACC.

it makes it much worse.

this is M&A for consolidation of wealth and power 101, and no one at any school or conference has the authority to over ride the capitalism algorithm runaway train, once it gets set in motion.

as for how the non OU/UT schools can try to fight it, i'd start counting my US senators and threatening looking at the FTC's and FCC's total and complete lack of media/big telecom collusive anti competitive oversight, and specifically ala carte access and media consolidation, as therein lies what's the driving force behind all this..

as for how the SEC/B10/PAC would counter that strategy, they'll count US senators too, and determine how many, and what schools, they don't really want but will take anyway, to counter the counter.

Yes, it's all very sad.

Other than their own team record, most college fans care mostly about regional rivalries, both in their own region and elsewhere.

So, for example, I don't give a damn about Oklahoma or Okie State, but I'll watch their game when they play. Same for Missouri & Kansas, and Texas & A&M.

And IU ought to be playing a schedule that looks something like this: Cincy, U of L, UK, Illinois, NW, OSU, MSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Purdue. They are a lot of reasons and excuses for not doing that, all of which relate to things other than what the game should be all about.

It's fun to play an outlier once in a while, like when we played USC, or Washington, or LSU back in Corso's day. And ok to throw in a Miami OH or BSU once a year if we're going to play 12 games (which we shouldn't).

Think of all the football fans at Beta schools like U Conn, Kansas St, Kansas, Iowa St, Washington St, Oregon State. The sport will be losing those fans.

Now the question is: how bad will this get? I've seen the calls for the BT to add USC & UCLA, for God's sake.

I think it's generally true that, in the end, TV ends up ruining everything it touches.

Read the transcript from his speech at the media day. It was a combination of seemingly stream of consciousness, comments that made it sound like Barry Alvarez was the real commissioner (Alvarez an advisor or a decision maker regarding football?)and he didn't give a clear answer to a single question.

In response to to the Texas/OU potential move he said they need to think about this (apparently completely blind sided). What the hell has the guy been doing for the last year? Extremely unimpressed with his mastery of the subject matter of his job, his ability as a leader and any strategic thinking. Based on last year's decision making and this speech, he has a long way to go to be the visionary leader the BIG needs for the future.

Lastly, his extended discussion on POC hires made it sound like that was his number one job. I think that is important, but not the seemingly singular focus for a commissioner of the premier collegiate conference.

I hope he reflects back on the media performance and learns and improves and develops. I think he is potentially capable, but right now he doesn't appear to be the guy who will be the aggressive forward thinker the conference will need in the days ahead.
Seems fairly self evident, but we've learned in the last few years there are a whole lot of blind people in this world. I'm glad you see this guy as "potentially capable." I haven't seen the same yet, but I'll look harder since you mentioned it and are willing to give him a little bit of a break.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Seems fairly self evident, but we've learned in the last few years there are a whole lot of blind people in this world. I'm glad you see this guy as "potentially capable." I haven't seen the same yet, but I'll look harder since you mentioned it and are willing to give him a little bit of a break.

I agree he's shown nothing to date other than a tendency to throw together a long string of adjectives.

I agree he's shown nothing to date other than a tendency to throw together a long string of adjectives.
I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, but the decisions and actions relative to conference realignment will be the proof. Unfortunately, I am not all that confident that he will respond/act well commensurate with the challenge.

I wouldn't go to the mat for any of them, I'm just throwing stuff at the wall to see if it sticks...

You could always add Syracuse rather than someone else if it fits the narrative better... VaTech is also an outside the box type of choice...
I think our conference had considered Georgia Tech for the Atlanta market, although Georgia appears to be the far more popular program in that state.

Nicole Auerbach (if that is her real name) of “The Athletic” has twatted that neither UT nor OU showed up for the scheduled Big XII conference call this evening. I love it!
Its too bad that she doesn't have red hair. That would be a great nickname for her!

Reactions: mk23
This could ultimately lead to a super conference of say Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Georgia, USC, Clemson, Texas, LSU, Michigan, PSU, Florida, Florida state, Oregon, etc....

after a period where 2 or 3expanded conferences drive down the beta programs, telling the NCAA to take a hike.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

P5 Conference revenue for FY20:

Big Ten: $768.9 million
SEC: $728.9 million
Pac-12: $533.8 million
ACC: $496.7 million
Big 12: $409.2 million

and per school payouts as well....

Big Ten: $54.3 million
SEC: $45.5 million
Big 12: $37 to $40.5 million*
Pac-12: $33.6 million
ACC: $30.9 to $37 million

Show me the money 💰! Everyone needs to settle down. Barry will figure it out.
those numbers are curious. If you take the Big10 total revenue $768M and divide by 14 you get $54.9M per school, almost equal to the individual school payout 0f $54.3M.

But if you take the total SEC revenue of $728M and divide by 14 you get $52M, but their payout was $45.5M. So where did the $91M go? (52M-45.5M)*14

those numbers are curious. If you take the Big10 total revenue $768M and divide by 14 you get $54.9M per school, almost equal to the individual school payout 0f $54.3M.

But if you take the total SEC revenue of $728M and divide by 14 you get $52M, but their payout was $45.5M. So where did the $91M go? (52M-45.5M)*14
The SEC - the conference *itself* - gets its cut, so the denominator is 15 (presently), not 14.

the corptocracy doesn't care squat what's best for college sports.

and contrary to the false propaganda spewed since this all started, this isn't and never has been about "expansion".

it's always been about "consolidation".

as to who, if anyone, should the B10 take, if the B12 falls absent the B10 taking any B12 teams, what's in it for the B10 to take any remaining B12 team, as none of them are a financial plus for the B10 if the B12 falls from being a major fball conference anyway.

it makes it much worse.

Fantastic!!! The collegeprogramsrealignmentindustrialcomplex

I was never good at math but I pulled it out of a tweet by someone.

I wouldn’t count out the possibility of Texas and OU joining the B1G. The required votes might not be in the SEC favor. No votes are gaining steam. This thing is far from a sure bet. One thing for sure is they want out.

How about this - do nothing. There are too many schools in the B1G now. Why do people want a conference with teams on the other side of the world?
I agree with you we don’t need some knee jerk reaction to this move. If the right schools come calling then we take a look at it. Right now I don’t see any schools that would rival Texas and OU. Heck maybe we try to head the SEC off and steal them.

Good thoughts. Thanks for your perspective.

So Big Ten should get Notre Dame and maybe Pitt,
Nd Will never join a football conference because they have their separate deals and will not be willing to share. That’s why their football team is not part of their current conference. Makes one wonder if Alabama or Ohio state would ever go independent and not have to share their money with the lesser revenue schools in their respective conferences

Looks like the SEC is working on Ohio state Michigan FSU and Clemson. SEC knows the landscape now and isn’t phuqqn around. It wants to supplant the ncaa and has the ability to do it.

Looks like the SEC is working on Ohio state Michigan FSU and Clemson. SEC knows the landscape now and isn’t phuqqn around. It wants to supplant the ncaa and has the ability to do it.
I never thought the Big Ten would get poached in realignment. Warren better be on this.

• Haha
Reactions: mk23 and vesuvius13
That would be so changing/amazing/interesting, I almost would like to see it.
If the big ten were to lose osu and um it would certainly be a lessor conference.

I think that is very interesting. It may be completely correct.
Was Alvarez the leading voice in changing the rules so osu could win?
I have to believe he was. He was the spokesman all during the season.

We talked all season how he was the de facto Commissioner.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
That would be so changing/amazing/interesting, I almost would like to see it.
If the big ten were to lose osu and um it would certainly be a lessor conference.
I really don't get all these good teams wanting to get into a super conference.

They just decreased their odds of having a good or great season by playing in a tougher conference. Who is Texas ever going to beat - they got drilled by Maryland last year. Maryland! Oklahoma always looks good until they run into a really good team in the playoffs.

You'd think they'd look at Nebraska and Penn State. How has being in the Big Ten enhanced their programs? Penn State is competitive, but they're not Ohio State.

I mean, good teams need lesser teams to beat to get their record up. Let's see how Oklahoma feels when they lose 3 games a year.

I guess I see the super conference philosophy if the goal is to get rid of the NCAA. But why? 4 Super Conferences will never be able to agree among themselves any more than they do the NCAA.

This is just a money grab, and I'm not knocking the $50 million+ we get every year. But how much is enough?

I really don't get all these good teams wanting to get into a super conference.

They just decreased their odds of having a good or great season by playing in a tougher conference. Who is Texas ever going to beat - they got drilled by Maryland last year. Maryland! Oklahoma always looks good until they run into a really good team in the playoffs.

You'd think they'd look at Nebraska and Penn State. How has being in the Big Ten enhanced their programs? Penn State is competitive, but they're not Ohio State.

I mean, good teams need lesser teams to beat to get their record up. Let's see how Oklahoma feels when they lose 3 games a year.

I guess I see the super conference philosophy if the goal is to get rid of the NCAA. But why? 4 Super Conferences will never be able to agree among themselves any more than they do the NCAA.

This is just a money grab, and I'm not knocking the $50 million+ we get every year. But how much is enough?

SEC wants to set the rules......they do not want the NCAA to do so......

And that's what I'm afraid of. I don't trust the SEC. At all.

Yes.......Looking back at Delany's time as Commish, I think college football as we knew it is paying a price for his tactics. At one time, the ACC, the PAC 12, and the Big 12 could have been our allies in trying to keep the SEC in check. We started a realignment war we couldn't finish, and tried to destroy the ACC & Big 12. Now we have no allies to trying to make common sense a part of the mix.......

Yes.......Looking back at Delany's time as Commish, I think college football as we knew it is paying a price for his tactics. At one time, the ACC, the PAC 12, and the Big 12 could have been our allies in trying to keep the SEC in check. We started a realignment war we couldn't finish, and tried to destroy the ACC & Big 12. Now we have no allies to trying to make common sense a part of the mix.......
It's dog-eat-dog now.

*My* plan, back in the olden days, was for the Big Ten and PAC-10 to sit out the Bowl Alliance and continue to play one another in the Rose Bowl. But everyone was going to die if there wasn’t an undisputed national champion (I know this because I heard it on ESPN) and so the push to sweep the old order aside got duly underway. I wonder if the centripetal force unleashed with that innovation wasn’t the first step, really, though it post dates the acquisition (as I now see the phenomenon being termed by fans and sports writers, which in itself is telling) of PSU by the Big Ten.

Anyways, we’re all fans and no matter how shabby and awful big time college football ends up, we’ll keep watching and listening and buying. I’m sure I will.

ADVERTISEMENT