ADVERTISEMENT

Terry Tallen donates $2 million to renovate locker room complex...

Is this just our latest round in the facilities arms race?
To be honest, I want IU to keep up in the arms race but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to get excited about each round we fire, if you know what I mean.
I missed the press conference. What, exactly, is this man's money going to build? Not a locker room, not a training room, not a place to play video games room ... We've already got all of those.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
To be honest, I want IU to keep up in the arms race but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to get excited about each round we fire, if you know what I mean.
I missed the press conference. What, exactly, is this man's money going to build? Not a locker room, not a training room, not a place to play video games room ... We've already got all of those.
Beyond all of that, thank you, Mr. Tallen for your generosity and for your support of a team we both love and believe can be great! As a longtime fan, I am impressed by and appreciative of your donation!

Our current football locker room has not been renovated since 2003, doesn’t have enough lockers for the entire team (that’s straight from Jeremy Gray), has water damage all over the ceilings, is tiny and cramped, and has a players lounge that is back behind a hallway and is basically just a tiny corner with a few chairs and an Xbox. The current equipment room has water damage and hasn’t been touched in 20 years. The current training room has ceiling damage and, again, hasn’t been touched except for a few new TVs in 20 years...and looks like this:

pwpvo.jpg

1zwl0u0.jpg

Now, some of the rehab stuff is moving over to the SEZ, but that tile alone is ridiculous. Here is what our locker room looks like compared to Purdue’s new locker room. I’m not even going to post what Ohio State and Michigan and Michigan State’s look like…

2nanrk0.jpg

2uxzfap.jpg

This is what happens when you don’t do much of anything to the stadium for 40 years.

I have the same question regarding all of this. I thought we had all of this in the NEZ. However regarding the "arms race" we started about 30 yrs after half the conference. Much more to do.

Reactions: IUgradman
Thank You Terry Tallen!!!

Once a Hoosier Team Captain, Always a Hoosier Team Captain!

I have the same question regarding all of this. I thought we had all of this in the NEZ. However regarding the "arms race" we started about 30 yrs after half the conference. Much more to do.
The locker room, the training room, the equipment room, and the coaches’ locker room are all under the west stands. They’ve been outdated for over a decade. They have received a few touchups, but it all needs to be restructured. Walls need to come down. It’s far too cramped in there as it is now. They literally don’t have enough lockers for the entire football team. Some players have to use tiny split lockers like they do in high school (see the picture with the red lockers above).

The north end zone has the weight room, team auditorium, position meeting rooms, coaches’ offices, AD offices, and large complex lobby. The east side has the academic center and lounge, and the south end is going to have the new dining hall/club area, patio, medical clinic, sports science offices, career development center, and rehab area.

Last edited:
The locker room, the training room, the equipment room, and the coaches’ locker room are all under the west stands. They’ve been outdated for over a decade. They have received a few touchups, but it all needs to be restructured. Walls need to come down. It’s far too cramped in there as it is now. They literally don’t have enough lockers for the entire football team. Some players have to use tiny split lockers like they do in high school (see the picture with the red lockers above).

The north end zone has the weight room, team auditorium, position meeting rooms, coaches’ offices, AD offices, and large complex lobby. The east side has the academic center and lounge, and the south end is going to have the new dining hall/club area, patio, medical clinic, sports science offices, career development center, and rehab area.
Thanks for the good info and the perspective, RBB. I knew I could count on you!

Reactions: RBB89
Our current football locker room has not been renovated since 2003, doesn’t have enough lockers for the entire team (that’s straight from Jeremy Gray), has water damage all over the ceilings, is tiny and cramped, and has a players lounge that is back behind a hallway and is basically just a tiny corner with a few chairs and an Xbox. The current equipment room has water damage and hasn’t been touched in 20 years. The current training room has ceiling damage and, again, hasn’t been touched except for a few new TVs in 20 years...and looks like this:

pwpvo.jpg

1zwl0u0.jpg

Now, some of the rehab stuff is moving over to the SEZ, but that tile alone is ridiculous. Here is what our locker room looks like compared to Purdue’s new locker room. I’m not even going to post what Ohio State and Michigan and Michigan State’s look like…

2nanrk0.jpg

2uxzfap.jpg

This is what happens when you don’t do much of anything to the stadium for 40 years.

Fred is making up for over 40 years of pure negligence on the part of IUs administration.

Many fans even embraced it. Thought it would disturb the little “hamlet” image they thought the university should have. Other conference brethren moved by IU between 1995-2000. Playing major catch-up now.

Reactions: RBB89 and IUgradman

Fred need to fire off several more salvos in my opinion.

Reactions: IUgradman

Thanks. I'm amazed the locker and training rooms were not remodeled at same time as the NEZ was being built. Locker rooms seem like a high priority.

Thanks. I'm amazed the locker and training rooms were not remodeled at same time as the NEZ was being built. Locker rooms seem like a high priority.
Yeah. I really think the main problem was that there was just so much to do across all the sports, and even just narrowing it down to the revenue producers like football and basketball, there was so much that needed to be addressed that they just couldn’t do it all at once. What we have managed to do (infrastructure wise) over the past 10 years or so is pretty incredible considering the previous 30 years.

And remember, the north end zone came in way over budget, the academic center was delayed for about a year because it was underfunded, and the baseball and softball stadiums were delayed for a couple of years because they were underfunded as well. FG had to find ways to put more money into those to get them finished when he arrived, because there was talk of scaling the academics center way back and just “renovating” the old fields up at Sembower, which would’ve been a waste of money.

I really hope we can get the Armstrong Stadium renovation up and running. It wouldn’t take long to do and $6 million would go a long way in a smaller facility. They certainly deserve it.

The golf course should be fantastic. Wilkinson Hall will be perfect for volleyball and wrestling.

Last edited:
Reactions: snowling
Fred is making up for over 40 years of pure negligence on the part of IUs administration.

Many fans even embraced it. Thought it would disturb the little “hamlet” image they thought the university should have. Other conference brethren moved by IU between 1995-2000. Playing major catch-up now.
^^^ This. ^^^

Knight didn’t help either. No changes. Nothing new. No advertising. Rabble rabble grumble grumble...

Of course, he then went to TT and put auto parts logos all over the court and his sweaters, and played in a corporately sponsored new arena.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT