ADVERTISEMENT

Terrible call

mk23

Senior
Dec 7, 2005
Just got screwed in as bad a way as possible. Might as well put skirts on them if you can’t slide into second on a double play ball.

Just got screwed in as bad a way as possible. Might as well put skirts on them if you can’t slide into second on a double play ball.

I think it was the right call based on the rule. What I didn't understand was making Houston return to 2nd

I think it was the right call based on the rule. What I didn't understand was making Houston return to 2nd
If that's the rule, it sucks. I've always understood the rule to be you have to be able to reach the base upon your slide -with your hand or your foot. Ashley slid DIRECTLY toward the bag. Nothing out of the ordinary in his slide whatsoever. The shortstop had every opportunity to move out of Ashley's path, but didn't. It was completely his fault that Ashley might've clipped his foot.

The idiot kid announcers from UE continually chattered about Ashley jumping before he slid. That was absolute BS. I've never seen any slide where the runner didn't leave his feet. Hell, that's the definition of a slide. If college baseball is different in some asinine way to make it ultra-safe and prevent any possibility of contact, like I said, just put skirts on the players and call it something other than baseball. Pete Rose is rolling over in his grave. ;)

If that's the rule, it sucks. I've always understood the rule to be you have to be able to reach the base upon your slide -with your hand or your foot. Ashley slid DIRECTLY toward the bag. Nothing out of the ordinary in his slide whatsoever. The shortstop had every opportunity to move out of Ashley's path, but didn't. It was completely his fault that Ashley might've clipped his foot.

The idiot kid announcers from UE continually chattered about Ashley jumping before he slid. That was absolute BS. I've never seen any slide where the runner didn't leave his feet. Hell, that's the definition of a slide. If college baseball is different in some asinine way to make it ultra-safe and prevent any possibility of contact, like I said, just put skirts on the players and call it something other than baseball. Pete Rose is rolling over in his grave. ;)

The umpire seemed to indicate that Ashley raised his hands (more than naturally) over his head to shield the SS's view or distract, which I'm guessing is illegal, otherwise he wouldn't have made that motion to the coaches. He certainly did raise his arms much higher than is natural.

Save your macho "put skirts on them" trash.

The umpire seemed to indicate that Ashley raised his hands (more than naturally) over his head to shield the SS's view or distract, which I'm guessing is illegal, otherwise he wouldn't have made that motion to the coaches. He certainly did raise his arms much higher than is natural.

Save your macho "put skirts on them" trash.
Whatever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT