ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee vs IU: IU can't overcome early homers in 12-6 loss...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
This game is on ESPNU.

IU is designated as the "home team."

RHP Connor Foley is on the mound for IU with an ERA of 3.71 in 60.2 IP and a WHIP of 1.24 with an OBA of .155. There have been some changes to the lineup with Mathison being the DH today and Colopy in CF. Mathison had an injury from yesterday's game, but it wasn't enough to keep in out of the batting lineup. Taylor had been dealing with a left shoulder injury and had been used as the DH in recent games, but he is back in LF. The batting order is the same as it was in the So. Miss game.

RHP Drew Beam is on the mound for the Vols and he has an ERA of 3.92 in 85.0 IP and a WHIP of 1.27 with an OBA of .264.

1st inning:

T1st:

Foley Kd looking the dangerous Moore to start the game. Moore has 28 homers on the season.

A pop up to shallow left got the 2nd out. Foley walked the next batter on a full count. A balk sent the runner to 2nd with two outs. A flyout retired the side.

B2nd:

Taylor Kd looking for the first out. Pyne popped to 2B for the 2nd out. Mitchell went down swinging and IU went down in order.

End of 2nd: IU 0 UT 0

Last edited:
2nd inning:

T2nd:

It's the 5 thru 7 hitters up for the Vols. Foley walked the leadoff hitter on a 3-1 count. A FC got the runner at 1st with a runner moving to 2nd and one out. The Vols had a base runner reach 2nd for the 2nd straight inning.

A one-out, two-run homer gave the Vols a 2-0 lead and that was something the Vols have done a lot of this season with their 150 homers on the season going into this game.

On a full count, Foley got the 2nd out on a check swing K. Foley then hit a .220 batter to put a runner on and we were at the top of the lineup.

The dangerous Moore hit his 29th homer on the season with the hit batter scoring in front of him to make it 4-0.

A single put a runner on with two outs. Kraft and Phillips are warming up in the bullpen as Foley was going deep into the count on another batter and he was at 51 pitches in the 2nd inning.

A WP moved the runner to 2nd. Foley then walked a batter on a 3-1 count to put runners at 1st and 2nd.

Another WP moved the runners to 2nd and 3rd as Foley was trying to get that final out.

Foley walked another batter on four pitches to load the bases. A flyout finally retired the side, and either Kraft or Phillips will be on mound to start the 3rd.

The Vols did what they do best -- hit homers.

B2nd:

It's the middle of the order up with Tibbitts leading off. Tibbitts grounded out for the first out.

Cerny flied out for the 2nd out. Mathison Kd looking for the final out and IU went down in order.

End of 2nd: UT 4 IU 0

Last edited:
3rd inning:

T3rd:

Surprisingly to me, Foley was back out there to face 6 thru 8 hitters. With a game tomorrow, win or lose, Mercer was obviously trying to save the bullpen. Still, a 4-0 lead early in the game is not an insurmountable lead.

Foley walked the leadoff batter on a full count.

The next batter reached on a slow roller for an infield hit and there were runners on 1st and 2nd and no outs.

Foley went full on the next batter, but Foley got the batter on a flyout to LF for the first out and runners at 1st and 2nd.

Foley was over 80 pitches on the game and he went full on another batter and he walked him to load the bases with one out and the top of the order up with Moore at the plate after he hit his 29th homer in the previous inning.

Foley went full on Moore and he walked him to bring in a run to make it 5-0. Mercer finally pulled him and LHP Ryan Kraft came in with an ERA of 7.03 in 24.1 IP and a WHIP of 1.93.

Kraft got a big K looking for the 2nd out. A GS by the next batter made it 9-0.

IU is certainly going with the backend of the bullpen at this point on with a game to be played tomorrow.

Kraft then gave up a single to the next batter. A ball hit off Kraft, dribble away from for an infield hit and runners on 1st and 2nd and two outs.

A walk loaded the bases again with two outs. Kraft finally got a K to retire the side.

B3rd:

It's the bottom of the order up with Oliver leading off and IU was still looking for their first hit.

Oliver grounded out for the first out.

Stadler doubled with one out for IU first hit of the game.

Colopy walked on a full count to put runners at 1st and 2nd and the top of the order up in Taylor with one out.

Taylor cranked a three-run homer to LF to make it 9-3.

Pyne reached on an infield hit. Mitchell grounded out for the 2nd out with Pyne taking 2nd.

Pyne stole 3rd with Tibbitts up. Tibbitts lined out to a diving 2B to end the inning.

End of 3rd: UT 9 IU 3

Last edited:
Reactions: Obadiah Plainman
4th inning:

T4th:

Kraft faced the 8 thru 1 hitters and he Kd the leadoff hitter looking. Kraft then gave up a solo homer to the worst hitter in their lineup with an average of .220 and that made it 10-3 and the top of the order up in Moore.

Moore walked on four pitches and IU had given up nine walks so far in the game.

A lineout and groundout retired the side.

B4th:

It's the 5 thru 7 hitters up with Cerny leading off. Cerny was hit by a pitch to lead off.

Mathison doubled to score the speedy Cerny from 1st to make it 10-4 with no outs.

Oliver Kd swinging for the 1st out and Mathison at 2nd.

Stadler was hit by a pitch to put runners at 1st and 2nd and one out with Colopy up.

Colopy Kd swinging for the 2nd out and with the top of the order up in Taylor, the Vols went to the bullpen and brought in LHP Andrew Behnke with an ERA of 3.37 in 21.12 IP and a WHIP of 0.94. This was probably a lefty vs lefty move.

Taylor walked on four pitches with none of the pitches even close, and that loaded the bases with Pyne up and two outs. Pyne popped out 2B and that ended the inning.

End of 4th: UT 10 IU 4

Last edited:
Reactions: Obadiah Plainman
5th inning:

T5th:

IU brought in RHP Ethan Phillips with an ERA of 6.21 in 29.0 IP with an WHIP of 1.72.

Phillips faced the middle of the order and he walked the leadoff hitter.

A double put runners at 2nd and 3rd with no outs. A single scored two runs with the batter taking 2nd on a bobble by Taylor in LF for an error.

A flyout and back-to-back Ks by Phillips retired the side.

B5th:
It was the 3 thru 5 hitters up for IU with Mitchell leading off and he grounded out.

Tibbitts singled to put a runner on with Cerny up.

Cerny singled to put runners on 1st and 2nd and one out. Mathison Kd looking for the 2nd out with Oliver up and he flied out to end the inning.

End of 5th: UT 12 IU 4

6th inning:

T6th:

Wiggins replaced Taylor in LF and I don't know if he reaggravated his left shoulder or they decided to rest it for tomorrow.

Phillips gave up a single to the leadoff hitter. A FC got the runner at 2nd with a runner at 1st and one out.

The runner at 1st was gunned down trying to steal 2nd for two outs.

After a hit batter, a single, and a walk on a 3-1 count to load the bases with two outs, Mercer went to the bullpen to bring in another pitcher from the back of the bullpen in RHP Ty Rybarczyk with an ERA of 7.06 in 21.2 IP and a WHIP of 1.75, and he faced the No. 6 hitter.

Rybarczyk got a groundout to retire the side with no damage done, and it was the first goose egg inning for the Vols since the 1st inning.

B6th:

It was the 8 thru 1 hitters up with Stadler leading off. Stader grounded out for the 1st out. Colopy Kd swinging for the 2nd out.

Wiggins singled to put a runner on with two outs and Pyne up. Pyne flied out to end the inning,

End of 6th: UT 12 IU 4

Last edited:
7th inning:
T7th:

Rybarczyk faced the bottom of the order and he got the leadoff hitter on a flyout. He then got a K for the 2nd out. Rybarczyk then got another K and he put them down in order and IU had kept the Vols to goose eggs for the last two innings.

B7th:

It's the 3 thru 5 hitters up with Mitchell leading off. Mitchell grounded out for the first out. Tibbitts flied out for the 2nd out.

Cerny walked on four pitches to put a runner on with two outs. Sefcik came in to pinch hit for Mathison. Sefcik Kd looking to end the inning.

End of 7th: UT 12 IU 4

Last edited:
8th inning:

T8th:

Rybarczyk faced the top of the order and he got Moore on a groundout. A single put a runner on with one out. A flyout got the 2nd out. The runner on 1st stole 2nd. A lineout to the RF warning track was snared by Mitchell to retire the side and Rybarczyk has pitched well since entering the game.

B8th:

It was the bottom of the order up for IU with Oliver leading off and the Vols decided to give another bullpen pitcher some work and he was RHP Marcus Phillips with an ERA of 4.42 in 18.1 IP and a WHIP of 1.53.

Oliver doubled to lead off. Schuyler came in to pinch hit for Stadler and he walked with ball four being a passed ball and Oliver taking 3rd.

Colopy grounded out with Oliver scoring and Schuyler taking 2nd and one out.

With the groundout being close to a single if not for a good play at 2B, the Vols were not taking any chances and went to the bullpen again to bring in LHP Loy Dylan with an ERA of 2.28 in 27.2 IP and a WHIP of 0.98. He faced Wiggins with one out and a runner at 2nd.

Wiggins singled to put runners on the corners with one out and Wiggins is 2 for 2 since coming in for Mathison.

Pyne singled to score Schuyler to make it 12-6 with runners at 1st and 2nd and one out.

With Mitchell up, the Vols went to the bullpen again and brought in RHP Aaron Combs with an ERA of 2.86 in 34.2 IP and a WHIP of 1.18.

Mitchell Kd swinging and it was a tough day for him today, going 0-5, and there were two outs.

Tibbitts grounded out to end the inning.

End of 8th: UT 12 IU 6

Last edited:
9th inning:

T9th:

Rybarczyk faced the 5 thru 7 hitters. Rybarczyk continued to pitch really well by striking out the first two batters. A flyout retired the side and Rybarczyk put them down in order. Hey Ty! where have you been this season?

B9th:

It's the 5 thru 7 hitters up with Cerny leading off. Cerny was hit in the helmet to reach.

Cerny took 2nd on what was ruled defensive indifference. Sefcik had a fly ball drop around 2nd base between players for a single that was really a mental error to put runners at 1st and 2nd and no outs.

Oliver Kd looking and Brenczewski came in to pinch hit for Schuyler and he Kd swinging for two outs.

Colopy Kd looking to end the game.

Final: Tennessee 12 IU 6

Last edited:
Reactions: alax2
I’m not sure I find this score either surprising or concerning. Those rockytops are #1 for a reason. I missed the whole extravaganza today doing a 4 hour flight to Phoenix and a 4 hour drive to Puerto Penasco only to be darn near arrested for an illegal border crossing (of all things) while attempting to secure Mexico Car Insurance on a rental car. Not as easy as you might imagine. 😂

So my question is, do they play that mind-numbing song endlessly like they did when we played them in the Gator Bowl? I heard that damn thing in my sleep for weeks.

• Haha
Reactions: ulrey
I’m not sure I find this score either surprising or concerning. Those rockytops are #1 for a reason. I missed the whole extravaganza today doing a 4 hour flight to Phoenix and a 4 hour drive to Puerto Penasco only to be darn near arrested for an illegal border crossing (of all things) while attempting to secure Mexico Car Insurance on a rental car. Not as easy as you might imagine. 😂

So my question is, do they play that mind-numbing song endlessly like they did when we played them in the Gator Bowl? I heard that damn thing in my sleep for weeks.
They play "Rocky Top" throughout all sports events and I've been told that they have played it during chess matches on their campus.

• Haha
Reactions: Bucket Getter

Yes. I still have flashbacks too

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Well, IU faces So. Miss again tomorrow at noon ET in an elimination game, and So. Miss will have a well-rested pitching staff awaiting us. They used just two pitchers in our game with them and today, their starting pitcher against N. Kentucky had a complete shutout game, winning 6-0. The thinking is that it will probably be Risedorph to start the game tomorrow. Nebraska won today, coming from behind against Niagara to stay alive and will face Florida again tomorrow. Illinois lost to Kentucky, 6-1, and will face Indiana State tomorrow in an elimination game.

IU is considered a power hitting team, but their home run total this season of 80 pales next to the Vols total which was 150 homers going into this game and it was at 154 after the game, and they are No. 1 in the country on long balls.

The Vols outhit IU 13 to 11 and both teams left a lot of runners on the base paths with IU stranding 12 runners and the Vols stranding 13 runners. IU was 11 for 38 for a team average of .289, while the Vols were 13 of 39 for an average of .333.

IU had just two multi-hit players with Taylor having the biggest hit, going 1 for 2 with a 3-run homer. Pyne went 2 for 5 with an RBI and Wiggins came in to pinch hit for Mathison, and went 2 for 2 late in the game. Mathison had a double and an RBI, while Colopy also had an RBI. Oliver and Stadler both had doubles and scored a run apiece.

IU had the only error in the game.

Foley had his worst outing of the season, and after getting out of the 1st inning unscathed, he got pounded in the 2nd and 3rd innings. Getting down 4-0 on two homers early in the game could have been made up since it was early in the game, but Mercer seemed to wave the white flag by keeping Foley in there after he clearly lost his confidence and control on the mound. Kraft came in and gave up a GS and it was 9-0 after the top of the 3rd. IU outscored the Vols 6-3 from the bottom of the 3rd on. IU walked 11 batters. Rybarczyk came in and pitched extremely well over 3.1 innings in finishing out the game.

Foley - 2.1 IP, 4 hits to include 2 homers and 8 earned runs, 2 Ks, 7 BBs, 2 WPs, 1 balk, and 1 hit batter.

Kraft - 1.2 IP, 4 hits to include 2 homers and 2 earned runs, 3 Ks, 2 BBs, and a WP.

Phillips - 1.2 IP, 4 hits to include a double with 1 earned run and 1 unearned run, 2 Ks, 2 BBs, and 1 hit batter.

Rybarczyk - 3.1 IP, 1 hit and no earned runs, 4 Ks, and no BBs.

[Quote-
Well, 6 runs and 11 hits would normally have..

Cancelled out.

11 BB will kill ya every time.

It was surprising Foley was left in as long as he was.

[Quote-
Well, 6 runs and 11 hits would normally have..

Cancelled out.

11 BB will kill ya every time.

It was surprising Foley was left in as long as he was.
That stat sucks. How in the world can any team win any game with 11 walks?

Reactions: ulrey
Well, IU faces So. Miss again tomorrow at noon ET in an elimination game, and So. Miss will have a well-rested pitching staff awaiting us. They used just two pitchers in our game with them and today, their starting pitcher against N. Kentucky had a complete shutout game, winning 6-0. The thinking is that it will probably be Risedorph to start the game tomorrow. Nebraska won today, coming from behind against Niagara to stay alive and will face Florida again tomorrow. Illinois lost to Kentucky, 6-1, and will face Indiana State tomorrow in an elimination game.

IU is considered a power hitting team, but their home run total this season of 80 pales next to the Vols total which was 150 homers going into this game and it was at 154 after the game, and they are No. 1 in the country on long balls.

The Vols outhit IU 13 to 11 and both teams left a lot of runners on the base paths with IU stranding 12 runners and the Vols stranding 13 runners. IU was 11 for 38 for a team average of .289, while the Vols were 13 of 39 for an average of .333.

IU had just two multi-hit players with Taylor having the biggest hit, going 1 for 2 with a 3-run homer. Pyne went 2 for 5 with an RBI and Wiggins came in to pinch hit for Mathison, and went 2 for 2 late in the game. Mathison had a double and an RBI, while Colopy also had an RBI. Oliver and Stadler both had doubles and scored a run apiece.

IU had the only error in the game.

Foley had his worst outing of the season, and after getting out of the 1st inning unscathed, he got pounded in the 2nd and 3rd innings. Getting down 4-0 on two homers early in the game could have been made up since it was early in the game, but Mercer seemed to wave the white flag by keeping Foley in there after he clearly lost his confidence and control on the mound. Kraft came in and gave up a GS and it was 9-0 after the top of the 3rd. IU outscored the Vols 6-3 from the bottom of the 3rd on. IU walked 11 batters. Rybarczyk came in and pitched extremely well over 3.1 innings in finishing out the game.

Foley - 2.1 IP, 4 hits to include 2 homers and 8 earned runs, 2 Ks, 7 BBs, 2 WPs, 1 balk, and 1 hit batter.

Kraft - 1.2 IP, 4 hits to include 2 homers and 2 earned runs, 3 Ks, 2 BBs, and a WP.

Phillips - 1.2 IP, 4 hits to include a double with 1 earned run and 1 unearned run, 2 Ks, 2 BBs, and 1 hit batter.

Rybarczyk - 3.1 IP, 1 hit and no earned runs, 4 Ks, and no BBs.
I can't recall as bad an outing as Foley produced in this game.
8 walks, 2 wild pitches, a balk and a hit batter. Kraft, statistically was just as bad...got 5 outs, two walks and a wild pitch...Philips, not much better...
For whatever reason(s), the staff was not ready to play yesterday.

I can't recall as bad an outing as Foley produced in this game.
8 walks, 2 wild pitches, a balk and a hit batter. Kraft, statistically was just as bad...got 5 outs, two walks and a wild pitch...Philips, not much better...
For whatever reason(s), the staff was not ready to play yesterday.
I feel like Foley's last win, in the B1G tournament was equally bad. Isn't that the game that even though IU win, they gave up 12 BBs.

Go look at Foley's numbers against Penn St back in April. Guy has a cannon, just can't consistently control it.

I feel like Foley's last win, in the B1G tournament was equally bad. Isn't that the game that even though IU win, they gave up 12 BBs.
It was he gets rattled when he can’t win on velocity. I know some mlb will take a chance on his size and arm but he’s got nothing by way of offered to complement his fb. And to boot he doesn’t have great control as like most IU pitchers gives up way too many freebies

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT